THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 04:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet friends and the real world  (Read 10276 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Internet friends and the real world
« on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:33 »

I'm starting a research project in Sociology and currently bouncing some ideas around for what topic I'll look at.

One of the things I was thinking of looking into was whether age affects internet usage. Not in the obvious way of younger people using it more, or older people using it for shopping, but the actual nature of friendships and relationships formed or sustained through the internet. I figured that you guys would be a good bunch of people to test the waters with, since this forum represents a fairly diverse bunch of internet users.

My current vague hypothesis is that young people (a vague age group would be people between 16 and 30ish, since I can't interview anyone under 16) are more likely to make new friends via the internet, whilst older generations use it more to sustain existing, real life friendships. Contradicting that is the rise in internet dating, but I don't have to be right with my hypothesis, I just need to research it well.

Does anyone have any input? Anything that would either back up, contradict or totally redirect my theory? I'm undecided on whether this will be a good thing to research, so I basically need an idea of what kind of things I could look at and what I might have missed.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: Internet friends and the real world
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:35 »

This is what i read there

Dear internet, please do my homework for me.
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:38 »

Oddly enough, I can't do a research project without asking people stuff.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:41 »

Well, you cant deny you got my opinion there in a nutshell :p

Also, what i kinda ment was, that this has been done, redone and overdone a thousand times before, ever since people who shun the sun wanted to get sociology degrees and all that. (and yes, i am not subtle, i am well aware of that fact.)

You could actually probably do this kind of assignment by asking certain databases (im looking at you, Springerlink, ScieneDirect and ScientificCommons) the correct questions, and then fudging a bit with your data.

Not that im advocating plagiarism, but eh...

I need sleep
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:43 »

Oddly enough, I can't do a research project without asking people stuff.

You also said you can't interview anybody over 16, which implies the research will be very one-sided.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:45 »

Under sixteen, it's for ethical reasons (we would have to seek parental permission for interviewing any under-sixteens).

Veregoca, the point of the project isn't the data we produce but the actual research method. That includes identifying and researching possible subject areas and test-running them.

I might just do one of my other areas, it seems like internet people aren't fun to ask questions of.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:51 »

I swear, I actually got an A in reading comprehension once. Yeah, that makes much more sense. A lot of the folks who meet groups of people from the internet are probably into fringe culture. I find it insanely difficult to find people with similar interest without the use of the internet. I can only think of ONE person I've met without the internet that had similar interest to me. I'm sure that isn't true for everybody, but it's certainly going to be the case around here. The only other people I've known who've met people from the internet are lonely middle aged people who have trouble dating.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:52 »

Who ever said research is supposed to be fun?

Also, if the researchmethod is the important jazzaboodle, dont try to be the cool kid, just make the questionairre, go into the old-folks-house and ask them about how things used to be better back in the day.

Seriously, if you want to get serious responses, do not try the internet. (At least, not the kind of place where random answers come to screw up your data. Goatse is not a valid answer to "what is your opinion on the current state of wellfare, compared to the output of crocodilewool on greenland?"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:54 »

Asking old people how it used to be wouldn't fit the topic criteria. Also I really would like to pass this course, that's why I'm putting time into it.

Man, I regret starting this thread now.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:56 »

YOU DIDNT EVEN TELL US THE TOPIC!

"a research project in Sociology" does concern old people!

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:57 »

Your trying to decide on a topic, and all im trying to tell you, dont pick the internet! Go visit your local jail/nuthouse/liberry/senate for good ideas on sociology projects or something! Get off your arse, go out and actually ask people, instead of sitting behind your computer and claiming browsing a webcomic forum is for school!

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:58 »

To recombobulate before my brain melts.

Dear internet, please do my homework for me.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jun 2008, 14:08 »

Very well!

*crawls under his blanky*

(also, while a good topic, CHEWED TO DETH, RECHEWED BY A COW, AND POSTDIGESTED BY FLIES WITH PHD'S comes to mind)

((come one, give me a break, my mind is recovering from the awesomeness that was Indy!))

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2008, 14:23 »

This is pretty interesting, but I don't know how skewed my data would be.
I'm going to talk about my Grandad who is 86 years old and frequently uses the internet. He worked all his employed life in a radio repair shop and also served in World War 2 fixing planes and working on radio systems. Anyway during this time he became very interested in amateur radio. He set up his basement to accommodate this and put a huge aerial on his roof. Anyway long story short, before the internet and all that, he communicated around the world with people. People who had things in common with him (they knew enough to build similar things and use them successfully) and it was all on a social level. As a kid I would sit in and listen in on him talking about his family life and the weather, and he made friends with people he had met all across the world. He also went traveling with his wife and met a whole bunch of them in South Africa, Britain, the States and Australia. There are now websites set up for ham radio people to chat online and talk through the internet instead of the sometimes unreliable amateur radio. So my Grandad frequently uses this as a means to communicate with a bunch of people.

I guess this is why my family has been a lot more receptive to me making friends on the internet and traveling around the world to meet them. I don't know if that is useful in any way at all, but hopefully it was at least interesting.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jun 2008, 14:43 »

A lot of the folks who meet groups of people from the internet are probably into fringe culture. I find it insanely difficult to find people with similar interest without the use of the internet. I can only think of ONE person I've met without the internet that had similar interest to me. I'm sure that isn't true for everybody, but it's certainly going to be the case around here. The only other people I've known who've met people from the internet are lonely middle aged people who have trouble dating.

I'm actually, the opposite of Darryl here.  Most of my friends have similar tastes in a lot of stuff.  I use the internet to expand upon my personal knowledge of stuffs, mainly, and secondarily, to keep me entertained.  AS for using the internet to meet people:  I love meeting new people.  I have an a really bad case of shyness/fear of rejection/social ineptness/whatever you want to call it that prevents me from conversing with other people in "meatlife".  The internet helps me to overcome that, but it takes out the face-to-face time.  Although, the internet has helped me to become more outgoing, I'm able to speak up in class, approach & talk to people, and carry on conversations.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jun 2008, 15:05 »

I've had the internet since I was 9 and have always used it for social interaction. In my earliest days on Prodigy, back when everyone wanted to be AOL and the actual world wide web was a scary no-no zone, I would sit in chat rooms and roleplay that I was a wizard and did magical things and had fights of wits and words. Then I found MUDs where I didn't have to be witty and could just type "kill shit" and shit would be killed.

Eventually, I moved from my life-long home to the big city when I was 14 and had no friends, so I retreated into the internet, mostly the IGN sci-fi message boards where I actually made really, really good friends, some of whom are my friends to this day, and some of whom I have had sexual relations with. My parents were weirded out at first, but so many of the people I know, I know from the internet now, that they stopped caring a long time ago and have accepted them as real people.

Being 22 now, I don't really think I use the internet any differently. My meat friends and internet friends are still pretty much two separate, real classes, the twain rarely meeting, though I will say that my internet friends are probably closer than most of my meat friends, which is weird, but I think more common in the modern era.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jun 2008, 15:10 »

I think online communities are interesting. I work as a trainer and technical support person for people doing online education. Most of the people I deal with directly are professors in their late 30s at the youngest, and not necessarily heavy internet users before they teach their courses. From what I've observed, all age groups are likely to make friends online, but older people are more likely to put an emphasis on physical contact. Those that aren't used to the internet often feel that their relationships with their students, with their fellow instructors, or with me aren't real until they've met these people face to face and shook their hand. Younger folks, or people who have spent more time online anyway, form tighter communities more quickly and don't seem to mind that they haven't met face to face.

Concerning myself, I don't tend to socialize a whole lot online. I usually have one message board that I visit on a regular basis (right now it's here), usually as a way of procrastinating. As such, I really haven't made many close friends online, and most of my close friendships tend to be people I meet in real life first. I naturally have a lot of working relationships that are purely online. I've had close working relationships with lots of people through email, chat rooms, messengers, and phone calls, that I've only met after we'd been working together for years. This was especially true when I was an instructional designer, where I could easily work with someone to develop an entire coriculum of materials long before I ever met them face to face.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jun 2008, 15:31 »

I remember having the internet as early as Prodigy, and my dad would let me chat all day.  My dad was about 45 at the time and was always meeting women to go out with at the time.  When I was a teen, I joined a few different fora, but that's the extent of it.  A few of my friends had met people though.  I didn't get that brave until I was about 20.  Usually it was for a dating thing.  I eventually gave up on that and decided I'd quit trying to find a boy through the internet.  This was a little over a  year before I met Jon.  Go figure.  Meanwhile, my dad gave up on internet dating when he got married 10 years ago (to a woman not from the web).
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jun 2008, 15:45 »

When I was younger(14/15) I was all about internet friends with similar interests. People from all over the world and we'd talk all the time. I was probably online way more than I should have been, to be honest.

I guess I still use the internet to make friends(22), but they're people from the area anyway. Usually they end up being people who are regulars at the bar/venue I usually hang out at, or other downtowners.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2008, 16:10 »

My current vague hypothesis is that young people are more likely to make new friends via the internet, whilst older generations use it more to sustain existing, real life friendships.

That seems a perfectly reasonable hypothesis to investigate, though I doubt it will be sustained.  

My mother in her 80s and 90s used the web, but never mastered email - so neither new nor existing friendships there; neutral for the hypothesis.  

I (who am well into your older group) have been using email for nearly 25 years at work (I worked for a forward-looking computer company during the 80s), and for 17 years at home (my first ISP had about 50 modems spread around the UK when I joined them); 17 years ago I also joined a bulletin board (the forerunner of the Internet forum).  Email has been almost entirely for sustaining friendships, in one case enabling me to get a new job with a former boss I'd renewed contact with initially through the bulletin board; whereas bulletin boards, forums, and mailing lists (OK, some email then) have been for new ones.  As a result of contacts on the Internet I have been able to rewind parts of my life which I had dropped when I had to choose a path at the start of my working career, and pick them up and continue them. [I won't start on about the actual stuff here, as I'd never stop.]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jun 2008, 16:11 »

I don't think I used the internet for much until I was about 13. But I also didn't have the internet at home until I was 18 (I'm 22 now), so most of what I did was on the school or library computers. So I guess mild social interaction (with meat life friends) or playing internet based games during free time. After I got it at home and had my own personal computer, it expanded greatly. My internet friends are still separate from my meat life friends only by the fact I haven't met them. This will soon change in Tronno, though! I do think some people I talk to on the internet are quality people and I enjoy talking to them, which is why I am comfortable with the idea of and excited to actually meet some of you guys.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jun 2008, 16:11 »

When I first started out with the internet (I can't even remember exactly when that was, I know fairly early in highschool. Maybe even primary school) it was mostly talking to friends I had in real life anyway. I would go into chat rooms on occasion but they were pretty boring and would stick with my friends. My brother, who is 3 years older than me, was more willing to talk to people he didn't know and would talk k on MSN with people he talked to on a forum. I didn't even think about talking to people other than my friends (apart from when I got bored and had fun talking to creepy people on IRC) until I joined here and gabbly came about. Now I think of you guys more as friends then most of the people I associate with in the real world.

I actually thought this was going to be about whether any people you met on the internet became friends offline, and was all ready to brag about the Oz meetups that have happened. Alas, it is not.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2008, 16:15 by Eris »
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jun 2008, 16:30 »

I was sitting here thinking "Hey, didn't we do this thread recently?" but I looked it up and what I was referring to was actually the "Other Forum" thread from a couple of weeks back. There are a lot of brilliant responses in there re Internet Friends.

I will see what exciting things I can type up on this subject when I get back from running my errands.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2008, 16:48 by Lunchbox »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jun 2008, 17:45 »

My current vague hypothesis is that young people (a vague age group would be people between 16 and 30ish, since I can't interview anyone under 16) are more likely to make new friends via the internet, whilst older generations use it more to sustain existing, real life friendships.

A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with this statement.

As a younger person with not many meatlife friends, I spent much of my time on the Internet scouting out new people to pay attention to me. I've made some brilliant friends from that, some of whom I have actually met in real life. My first Internet meetup was with a guy from the Anti-Rice forums, and though we had absolutely nothing in common and hadn't even held a proper conversation over IM, we met up when he came to NSW because we were the only currently active Aussies on the forum. I drove for three hours to get to where he was and I didn't know the guy from a bar of soap. We actually had a really fun day hanging out in his Dad's pool and getting kebabs at the shopping centre, and for years afterwards, even after he left the forums we would text message each other with our latest news.
This positive experience made me sort of search out other Internet people to meet up with. I was overjoyed when I came to this forum and found so many Australian members, one of whom actually lived within a two minute drive of me! Everyone knows that Eris (Hannah) and Princy/Jmrz (Jamie) and I meet up relatively often and are good friends, and the meet-ups we've had with the QC Sydney crew and assorted interstate and international hangers-on have all been brilliant. I am sure we will all remain friends for a long time!
Lately I've started new relationships with photographers I met via Flickr and OzModel. All of them have been smashing to meet, and with the one big thing in common (that we all carry cameras around like a lifeline) we all have so much to talk about. The sharing of skills is a big thing when you all have a shared hobby, and there is already so much that they have taught me whilst fiddling with our cameras at the beach or at cafes.
Of course then there are the friends on Gabbly and IM, most of whom I have no chance of ever meeting. Plenty of you have made my life so much happier, and I am so glad to be a part of your lives! (Awwww.)

HOWEVER, I was supposed to be disputing that statement.

Lately, with the rise of Facebook et al, I have found myself using the Internet more and more to keep track of my meatlife, "Not Met Over The Internet" friends (I never was one for chatting to 'real' friends over IM, it felt slightly silly to me). My own little group organise all of our outings via Facebook messages, even if most of them see each other every day at Uni. Some of them religiously check my Flickr project, which is nice if a little disconcerting, because I'm, well, a lot more bold and vivacious on there than I tend to be around them, and some of my pictures make the more polite of them a little uncomfortable.
The only other people I know who use the Internet are my Dad and Grandfather.

My Dad (who is in his mid forties) uses it to make new contacts in the car racing world, meets up with his forum friends, buys things off them and trades hints. I am pretty sure he met his girlfriend over the Internet, and when he was in the market for a lady he would IM with local people (my brother would end up being embarrassed when it turned out that Dad was chatting up the mothers of girls in his class) and occasionally meet up with them. I do not think he has ever looked up any of his old friends, because he has the old tried-and-true mediums (turn up at their place to borrow something) for that.

My Grandfather (now in his seventies), who moved here from England as a young man, is an absolute computer whiz after being introduced to them about five years ago. He teaches "How to use the Internet" classes at his local community college, and religiously emails both his old friends from the UK and the new friends he has made through his computer classes, but as far as I know hasn't scoped out any new people to talk to, aside from sending the odd email to website creators to tell them what a good job they did on the site.

I guess what all that waffle was about is that people of all ages utilise the Internet to make new relationships and you can't put people in boxes blah blah blah and I never understood what Sociology was supposed to do anyway!
I just like to talk about myself.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jun 2008, 18:28 »

I received my first computer that was internet capable when I was in my second year of high school (as such many of the played out, old memes seem fairly new to me).  I was in a classroom that had 1 to 3 computers, none of which could even handle the internet.  The internet was a special thing, a treat if you will, to be used for short amounts of time.  Because of this many of my friends are in the real world.  When I went and met yelley.....for the life of me I don't remember the time, day, month, etc....my family made fun of me for doing it.  My mother was concerned that I was going to be killed.  Me being from Michigan, and not having a lot of money, means that there aren't many people from the internet that I can meet.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jun 2008, 18:58 »

I have a lot of friends online that are 25+. A number of them are 30+ and some are retirement age. It's not that hard to imagine that older people still can interact with people online. They just have a different take on it.

A lot of people I know online have good strong relationships with people online and have even met up with them - on a friends basis. While it is true that older people use the internet more as a utility than a socialising thing, if you look at the number of bloggers around, you'll realise that it is quite acceptable and common for older people to be going into online interaction. Some, in their 30s, probably are still single, once married, or looking, are extremely active socially. A lot of them have IT/Computing backgrounds, but a lot don't.

The relationships Ive formed have been extremely enriching because I feel many older people respect the idea of a friendship in a more formal sense than young people. That is, they apply their approach to real life relationships onto online friendships more than young people do. I tihnk young people have a greater tendency to be brash about anonymity and not caring what people online might think/do. That said,  a lot of older people are still stupid and immature and rude, but those I know are much more cautious/aware of tiptoeing around such things as anonymity.

The other areas I tihnk a lot of older people interact, besides in blogs, is places like Flickr which appeal to a certain interest/hobby and used to be a bit more impersonal. But as it becomes more social, people interact with others of similiar interests in a slightly contrived way.

One of my close friends, who is 65 and retired, recently told me about what blogging has meant for her. 2 years ago when she started, she felt isolated and alone, her husband had died 6months ago and she was looking for a new home. The online friendships and community she created helped her immensely in feeling connected with the world, she has found and renovated her own home, gone on roadtrips with family and become active in herr community and real life friendships.

Not sure what this post is about, but there is my opinion.

est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #26 on: 04 Jun 2008, 03:25 »

This has been really helpful, thanks guys :-) Also sorry for getting cross yesterday, I was a little lacking in sleep.

From these answers I've figured there are maybe three different types of internet relationship: real-life friendships with the internet either adding to the real-life connection or replacing it (like when people move away); internet friendships leading to real-life friendships (for example meeting up with internet people regularly, or online dating); and internet friendships which never leave the internet. I know this isn't a new or surprising discovery but it's given me an idea of how I can structure my research.

I don't expect my hypothesis to be right; my dad met his girlfriend through the internet and he's in his late fifties so I've already disproved it anecdotally. But it gives me a starting point. It's interesting to think about blogs as a form of interaction, because I've never really had a blog or been part of a community. I'll have to look into that too.

One last question: any parents (or people with much younger siblings), do you think that pre-teens are now being allowed to use the internet much younger? Most people sixteen or up didn't start using the internet til their teens (obviously the fact that internet wasn't common until the 80s, 90s will have helped) but there seems to be a lot of media focus on how ten, twelve year olds are using social networking.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #27 on: 04 Jun 2008, 04:12 »

On the matter of Internet relationships that never leave the Internet, have you looked into the more immersive social environments such as Second Life? 

I can't decide whether these are another step towards the future, a big flop, or just plain scary.  Many universities are now using Second Life for teaching purposes (mine is currently investigating it), and I know someone who makes money from a business conducted entirely within it, but frankly I find going into Second Life myself for more than a few minutes seriously creepy.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #28 on: 04 Jun 2008, 04:55 »

I actually hadn't thought of that, Second Life and World of Warcraft are probably the best ones to look at. The idea of using a computer game for business is quite odd, but then again it's probably a lot cheaper than travelling all over the world!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #29 on: 04 Jun 2008, 04:57 »

Second Life even has an embassy in it - Sweden, if I remember right.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #30 on: 04 Jun 2008, 05:07 »

My current vague hypothesis is that young people (a vague age group would be people between 16 and 30ish, since I can't interview anyone under 16) are more likely to make new friends via the internet, whilst older generations use it more to sustain existing, real life friendships.

I'm going to have to contradict that statement as well. I'm on a wild fishing forum and it is mostly people 30+ that are on it. Most of them are people that have never met before previously, but because fishing is an outdoor activity there are regular meet ups of people to fishing.  I even met up with one of them and had a great day out cause everyone on the forum is so fanatical about fishing. I think if people have something in common then no matter what age they are they are quite likely to meet up and do something.

Get off my land

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #31 on: 04 Jun 2008, 05:14 »

RE: internet relationships which don't leave the internet.

I think it is hugely influenced by the nature/origin of the social networks people interact on. Blogs, forums, irc and such are not as orientated towards 'meeting someone special' as say a hookup site might be. In those cases, it takes the right type of social group and individuals to forge personal relationships.

I'm totally excited about meeting people from QC, but would never feel comfortable meeting someone from somewhere more shady. Especially because i may have talked to them exhaustively on IM but never really known anything else about them. There are many on blogs who i would like to meet, but would be terribly nervous about. I can't really comment on online games though.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #32 on: 04 Jun 2008, 06:13 »

I know someone who makes money from a business conducted entirely within it

Now you know two!

Incidentally, thinking about Second Life in this context reminds me of a rather unusual story about internet people meeting up. One guy I knew in SL died a little while ago. He was Dutch, and a mutual friend of ours who lived in Amsterdam went to the funeral. They'd met a couple times in real life before the guy had a heart attack, but that still must have been extremely awkward for the family.
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2008, 06:17 by jhocking »

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #33 on: 04 Jun 2008, 11:41 »

I think your one problem with this study is that I think your demographic is a bit too broad. Sixteen to thirty encompasses bits of two very different generations and catches the outskirts of a third. I think you'd be better off with two separate groupings of 16 to 20 and 21 to 30.

Your hypothesis, to the best of my knowledge, is pretty true, I think.

I'm 24 and I kind of skirt the line. We got the internet when I was about thirteen and I've used it primarily for social networking. At this point, I use it both for making new friends and enjoying conversation with them just as much as I use it for keeping in touch with old friends that I haven't had the leisure of keeping in direct contact with due to the adult world getting in the way.

I, like Tommy, can remember a time before the internet. Hell, the internet still wasn't even a primary research tool until I was in High School. I remember back before the days of MySpace and Facebook, AOL chat rooms/message boards and LiveJournal were the big places to socialize. I still remember names and people from my AOL chatting days and I still occasionally correspond with one or two of them.

I've never actually had much experience with meeting folks in real life that I met online. I think I can actually count on two hands the total amount of people I've met from the internet, and three of them are on this forum (Shane I met through a Sox LJ community, we all know I met my girlfriend through here and I met Huda once, too). Aside from those three, I've met maybe three girls from online, one of which was a disaster that led to me getting briefly quasi-stalked, another I never saw again and the last I occasionally spot at concerts, but that's it.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd say meeting someone in real life validates the personal relationship in any way. I'd consider myself a lot closer with some gabblers and some people I knew from an old Marvel Comics chat I attended than I am with a lot of people I interact with personally and have known for more than a decade.

A more interesting idea to me is the effects of online socialization ON a person's non-internet social life. I've picked up a lot of mannerisms and in jokes from people I speak with online. Much of my behavior, attitude and overall personality has been directly influenced and molded by experience with people online (My snarky and rude attitude was heavily cultivated by my Marvel Comics chat). It's gotten to a point that my meat life and my internet life aren't what I'd consider mutually exclusive and I think that's where our society is going, if it's not there already. I think by the end of the decade, people won't differentiate between "my friend from the internet" and "my friend" anymore. That might not seem too impressive for some of the younger forumites, but for us old folks, that's a pretty radical leap from the way things were maybe seven years ago.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #34 on: 04 Jun 2008, 11:47 »

That's another good point I hadn't thought of, but I think you're right; my personality has definitely been slightly altered by being a member of these forums. I'm not sure how I can work it into the study but I'll have a think.

I haven't sorted the logistics of how I'll do the research yet; that group is too large really. Twenty-one is a good age to split at because ten years ago, when the internet was definitely taking off as a social tool, 21 year olds would have been just about the right age to start using it. From what people have been saying, it makes a difference whether or not the internet was around for a significant percentage of your life or not. Maybe that's what I really need to look at? Not age, but percentage of life with internet access? Might be more tricky.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #35 on: 04 Jun 2008, 12:15 »

Despite the fact that I'm active of several forums and message boards, the vast majority of my friends are still made face-to-face. I'd say that my online pals are more of close acquaintances.

However, my personality has certainly been affected by the mannerisms and ways of speaking that people on different forums have. Again, it's more influenced by people who are actually physically present and who I see every day or every few days, but the personalities of people who I know pretty well on the forums definitely rub off on me and I find myself picking up some of their phrases or traits.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #36 on: 04 Jun 2008, 13:29 »

i don't think i've ever met someone online before meeting them in person.

then again, i lived in a fairly secluded area that didn't have internet available until i was already almost done with highschool anyway (i used it before then, obviously, at school and friends houses but never in my own home); and even now this is the only forum i belong to. besides that, i have a Myspace and profiles on Last.fm and DeviantArt but the last two are rarely used and Last.fm is just for my own benefit to track my music listening habits and to maybe hear new bands.
and Myspace is strictly for communicating with people who i already know.

i guess it's worth mentioning that don't have a very large group of "real-life" friends and none of them are really internet users in the sense that we all are. they go to YouTube and Myspace and look at porn but they would never even think of joining a forum or message board. it's absolutely inconceivable to them. but every once in a while i find myself trying to use a joke or phrase or something from the internet and they just stare blankly because they have absolutely no clue what i'm talking about.

however, they have thankfully grown accustomed to my using "Fight you!" regularly so i don't have to explain myself every time i say it at least.

edit: forgot to mention that i'm 21, if that's relevent.
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2008, 13:39 by Scandanavian War Machine »
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jun 2008, 13:30 »

I am 16, and all of my friends I have made on the internet stayed that way, even the person that ended up being in the same city. I like how you can make friends with people that live on the other side of the world, my gaming clan has a few regulars from Scotland, the culture differences can be interesting. All of my real life friends are still interacted with in real life for the most part, aside from a few emails. That probably is largely because my best friend is still on dial-up, so it is much easier to just call him.

We had the internet for long enough that I don't recall precisely when we got it, might have been when we got our first computer with a CD drive rather than just a floppy drive. We are usually on the back wave of tech trends, had dial-up for quite a while, I was 12 or 13 when we got relatively slow DSL, and last year we switched to comcast cable, I know, I know, but the DSL kept losing connection and we would have to unplug and replug the router, it could happen just from watching too many youtube videos in a row. And when you go from a 500kB/s down to a 5000kB/s connection, the difference is very noticeable.

Ninja'ed by Scandinavian, but that reminds me, what is the story behind FIGHT YOU!?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #38 on: 04 Jun 2008, 20:36 »

For a different perspective:

I post on a camera forum mostly made up of people 50+ with a good deal of retirees. These people are much more apt (it seems to me) to go and actually meet their internet friends for coffee and the like. They have regional meet ups all the time. Furthermore, their online feuds seem much more intense than the ones on forums filled with young people, they seem to take things more personally.

That forum has taught me two things:
-Old people are awesome.
-Painful "new to the internets" mistakes are way funnier when the people making them are old (Things like signing every one of your posts... right above your signature, flaming, not knowing how to use vbulletin).

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #39 on: 05 Jun 2008, 05:38 »

I'm actually still fairly new to the internet. I'm 21 but up until I was 17 the most experience I ever had with computers was drawing trucks and shit with CAD in my "computer science" class in junior high, up until i moved into my dads place and he bought me a pc I used an old typewriter of my grandfathers to type my highschool essays or I hand wrote everything. As it stands I usually don't really understand a lot of what people say (for instance I don't get "fight you", "tl:dr" or a lot of other things) until I take one of the australian forumites aside and ask them what it is, sheepishly. That said, being on this forum for the past 2 years has made me more open minded to a lot of things and I've made friends with some really awesome people. Internetspeak has also infiltrated my daily vernacular and I often find myself talking to my meatlife friends about something funny that people I know in Yorkshire, Scotland and Boston have said and they look at me weird for having what I consider to be really good friendships with people I've never high-fived.

I use the internet mainly for doing uni research and being on this (and another) forum. I use msn sometimes to speak to people if I can't be bothered to call them but to be honest, the majority of my time is spent posting here or on other internet forums. I tend not to keep in touch with people I went to high school with or even people who I did my undergrad degree with (and that only finished last year). A lot of my meatlife friendships are based on propinquity whereas I actually feel connected to everyone I've "met" here a lot more strongly.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Nodaisho

« Reply #40 on: 05 Jun 2008, 17:46 »

tl;dr is too long; didn't read.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 05 Jun 2008, 17:59 »

I forgot to mention that I have mentioned people from the internet before. Both were from Myspace. One of the guys I don't see and rarely talk to anymore, but we still send invites through Facebook for shows and stuff. The other guy I'm still kind of friends with, even though we rarely see each other because he goes to school in another state.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #42 on: 05 Jun 2008, 19:03 »

I forgot to mention that I have mentioned people from the internet before. Both were from Myspace. One of the guys I don't see and rarely talk to anymore, but we still send invites through Facebook for shows and stuff. The other guy I'm still kind of friends with, even though we rarely see each other because he goes to school in another state.
Shhh, Myspace and Facebook don't count as the internet. Hell, I met a girlfriend on Facebook.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #43 on: 05 Jun 2008, 19:04 »

They are subsets of the internet that are acceptable for use by regular persons, but they are the internet none the less. Meeting people on it is mostly equivalent.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

sean

• welp
« Reply #44 on: 06 Jun 2008, 12:42 »

I have trouble comprehending meeting people on facebook. Facebook is a platform used for contacting people I already know. I would never friend somebody I didn't know on facebook, and wouldn't accept a friend request from a person if I didn't know who they were.

I would comment on the original subject but I feel like anything I say will be in repetition. Got the internet as a kid, joined a fora, blah bla hbalh. Nothing different here.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #45 on: 06 Jun 2008, 13:33 »

I'm 16, and I've been doing forum boards a lot for like... four years? It has gotten a bit more serious over the last years, but I've never met someone from a forum in RL. Not because I don't want to, just because most of the cool people I could meet lives over the Atlantic.

I only know one person that has met a forum friend in RL, and they are sending christmas and birthday gifts to eachother. But I think that young people (like me) are more likely to be satisfied with a internett friendship, while older people probably would want to meet up. The weird thing is that many forum people that I talk a lot to is often more than ten years older than me, and meeting them randomly would just be wrong.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 06 Jun 2008, 14:59 »

Meeting most people for the first time can be awkward. But like all relationships, it gets easier the more you do it. While I'm usually quiet around new people, after a few meetings they will seriously pay me to shut up.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #47 on: 06 Jun 2008, 15:16 »

so why would it be wrong?

Because he's 16. No matter how accepted the internet gets, teenagers hanging out with strange men they met online will never not be creepy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #48 on: 06 Jun 2008, 15:42 »

It's the same the other way round; I would feel seriously creepy about meeting most people here in real life - it just wouldn't work because the differences, in age, and in other things, would just become too apparent.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #49 on: 06 Jun 2008, 15:52 »

I've had the internet since I was eleven, but I never met anyone from online until this year. I am twenty, by the way. I was invited by an "internet friend" to her birthday party and went with my best mate, and we got horrendously drunk, and I had the second worst hangover I've ever encountered, and then we went out and drank more. I had to sit on a coach for a good few hours on the way home with THE worst hangover I've ever had. Anyway, we speak a lot, talk on the phone and text when we're out of the house. In fact thinking about it now we really do talk an obscene amount. We also went to a gig two weeks ago in camden, which was awesome. But I'm glad I waited to meet someone that I really click with because I get the feeling we're gonna be friends for a really long while. That's why I put internet friend in inverted commas, because I consider her more of a real friend than an internet friend, even though i met her for the first time online. I always considered it a bit risky to meet people from the internet but now I'm not really worried about it at all, because I don't have any trouble talking, be it meeting people for the first time or the hundredth time. I guess I just talk a lot.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up