THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gareth's United States Project  (Read 10294 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Gareth's United States Project
« on: 02 Jan 2015, 11:36 »

So for those not reading the resolutions thread, here is what I posted:
Well, this year I don't so much have a resolution, more of a project/self challenge.

I want to write a 50-song album. One about each American state.

I have never been to America. Ever. And as such, each song will be based only on what I can find out about a state on Wikipedia - I already know quite a bit about America so I will have to make sure I check on Wikipedia that anything I already know is cited on there.

This works out at about a song per week. I'm not sure if I'll upload one by one or two a massive upload towards the end of the year, but I've already got Delaware written in my head and my brother-in-law is lending me a synth that should bring some breadth to the proceedings.

So yeah. That's my stupid idea.

It works out at just under a song per week.

On Facebook Method offered to 'check' my eventual Jersey offering, but that kind of defeats the object of it given that I am meant to only be using info from Wikipedia.

However I think I may have been too quick to respond. This project is designed to semi-fail I guess. The whole point is meant to be an outsider looking in without any background knowledge or direct experience of being in the US.

Thinking about it though, that doesn't mean I can't get information from you guys in other ways. So I thought if anyone wants to contribute, they can help me out here in various ways.

I'm considering opening up an instrumental part or two to my fellow musical forumites; however I think the one caveat should be that you can't contribute to a state that you live in. Or possibly even have ever been to, because it's meant to be, after all, from the perspective of my having no fucking idea what I'm talking about. Those non-American forumites have the same rules - you can join in but not on a state you've been to. I'm especially interested in people who can contribute things that I'd not be able to get myself, like proper piano (step forward Detachable Felix).

One question I'd like to open up to the forum is, should I make it so that I only base this on the actual state's own Wikipedia page, or instead on information on Wikipedia that I can be linked directly to from that state's Wikipedia page? Say, if Pennsylvania has a dedicated page for agriculture or some shit.

If you have an idea for a song that's not a state you live in or have been to, I am all ears to suggestions provided you can back it up with a Wikipedia page to show it's on there.

I am planning, however, on doing songs that are not necessarily ABOUT that state, but are set there, with some shout-outs. A love song, say, that is set in a certain state but has to include some information of that. Some of these will be serious, some of them will be humorous, because that's kinda how I roll, motherfuckers.

I thought I might also shove my work-in-progress or random ideas up here, because I may as well be told if something is terrible.

Anyway, here is what I have so far as far as spitballing/works in progress.

1. Delaware - Why Don't You Got To Delaware? (partially written in my head already, mostly about how completely uninteresting Delaware is, mentions its lack of sales tax)
2. Georgia - Something REM-style, given my instrumental limitations probably Out Of Time/Automatic era, and I have got a mandolin. Considering they're from Athens I considered flirting with Greek mythological imagery
3. Hawaii - I have a uke, I suspect this will be a sub-one-minute joke song of some sort.
4. Kansas - Considering a song about Superman, without actually mentioning any of his names (Superman, Kal-El, Clark Kent)
5. Louisiana - Something Randy Newman-esque because I fucking love Randy Newman
6. Maine - Something Stephen King related
7. Nebraska - a parody of Bruce Springsteen's titular album, but possibly using that overwrought style to talk about it being the only American state with a bicameral legislature (or possibly unicameral, I forget which; point is it's the only one)
8. New York - 'Every Single Song Ever Written Is Already About New York' - I've already written this and recorded a quick demo at my usual quality standard, although I'm going to work on getting some cheapish new gear to try and have a slightly better recording quality. This will be the album intro, it's one minute long and basically about how there are so many fucking songs about New York already that we don't need any others.
9. Pennsylvania - Some kind of patriotically themed song, I've got some music ideas for this recorded on my phone. Not like douchey right wing nuttery, but maybe some kind of nationalism
10. Tennessee - Given that this is where Nashville is and I love country, this has to be a country song
11. Washington - some kind of love song themed around rain
12./13. The Dakotas - Patrick has been tasked with writing music to send to me
14./15. The Carolinas - given to my best friend, who isn't on the forum

That's all I have for now. Some of these ideas may already be terrible but if I'm doing 50 songs, some of them are bound to be terrible. The Dakotas will likely be terrible, the Carolinas probably will be as well (although I think I can get something out of Ric Flair being from there if that's on wikipedia) and Christ knows what I'll do for New Mexico (NOT Breaking Bad) or West Virginia.

But hey, I am open to suggestions.

This is one of the dumbest projects I've ever undertaken, but I sure hope some of you guys can contribute some of your own thoughts and be dragged down with me ;) anyone who contributes I will give a co-write credit to a song if they give me an idea that I actually use, and I plan on putting this up for sale on bandcamp for a low price, the lowest I can stand to put it up for given it's likely to be terribly recorded.

HAVE AT YE!
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2015, 08:39 by Gareth »
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: Gareth's United States Project
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan 2015, 13:15 »

Wisconsin has to be a polka. Either that or something that sounds like the Violent Femmes.

Michigan = Motown.

California = Beach Boys.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2015, 13:23 »

Michigan I was considering hip hop because of Detroit.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2015, 21:09 »

Well, Motown originated in Detroit, and also got its name from the city.  Detroit used to be home to pretty much all the car manufacturers, and earned the nickname Motor City.  Motor City turned into Motor Town which turned into Motown.  For Texas, I'd suggest more ZZ Top and less country.  Alternatively, there's a subgenre of blues called Texas blues that features guitar more heavily than the typical blues band.  It seems like it specifically uses steel string guitars, but that might just be the specific songs I've heard played locally.  As far as song material, it should be noted that most of us do not actually ride horses while wearing cowboy hats and yelling things like "Yippie-kai-ay, motherfucker." 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2015, 21:38 »

Country would be an obvious choice for Oklahoma, considering how many country music singers are from Oklahoma. Then again, The Flaming Lips are from Oklahoma as well.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jan 2015, 01:13 »

Nevada- Fueled By Greed and Dust

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2015, 05:25 »

Well, Motown originated in Detroit, and also got its name from the city.  Detroit used to be home to pretty much all the car manufacturers, and earned the nickname Motor City.  Motor City turned into Motor Town which turned into Motown.

Yeah but I'm also white as fuck and have no way of recording something that even approaches a Motown sound. But I'm a big enough hip-hop fan that I think I can just about justify doing rap (and have done comedic rap songs before now) with my whiteness being in on the joke.

For Texas, I'd suggest more ZZ Top and less country.  Alternatively, there's a subgenre of blues called Texas blues that features guitar more heavily than the typical blues band.  It seems like it specifically uses steel string guitars, but that might just be the specific songs I've heard played locally.

This is worthwhile information, although again I'll have to find it on Wikipedia.

As far as song material, it should be noted that most of us do not actually ride horses while wearing cowboy hats and yelling things like "Yippie-kai-ay, motherfucker."

It's 2014 bro. We limeys are aware that Americans aren't all cowboys. Just because the point of this is basing it only on shoddy research doesn't mean I'm about to do a load of terrible stereotypical bullshit.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jan 2015, 10:15 »

Washington should be some sort of angry grungey song about how shitty Starbucks is :-P
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan 2015, 08:32 »

Is this a Stumpy and the Cuntfarts project?

Also: your mind is a weird place, man.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jan 2015, 08:35 »

Hahaha. No, because I want to actually flog this even if it will be badly recorded and that means my parents will see it :P

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jan 2015, 08:36 »

Ah. Well, you go, man.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 03 Feb 2015, 06:59 »

So a little update.

I've farmed some shit out to various forumites and friends of mine so that I can collaborate with people. Most people have only been assigned music or lyrics rather than both, the exception being my best friend who I'm just getting to do as skeletal a track as possible before I put more layers and harmonies on it.

My recording lately has been sparse largely because I find it hard to record vocals in my house after work and I'm busy lots of weekends. I think summer is going to find me re-recording a LOT of vocals to do the songs justice; but I have rough mixes done of New York, Nevada and Kansas.

I scrapped the Superman idea for Kansas in the end and have ended up doing something about Westboro Baptist church. It's as real a perspective as I could bring to it because I'm a lapsed Baptist myself and those assholes pretty much ruin it for everyone.

I also have Delaware written, finally, and I'm super happy with it.

I am quite looking forward to seeing what Lolibutt comes up with. It'll be a little different, I'll say that much.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #12 on: 03 Feb 2015, 09:58 »

Nice, can't wait to hear it
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2015, 13:58 »

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/gareth-hughes-13/canyon-az-rough-vocal[/soundcloud]

So this is my song for Arizona.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/gareth-hughes-13/why-dont-you-go-to-delaware-de[/soundcloud]

And this is Delaware, the song that inspired the project and that I've had in my head for ages.

Neither one is necessarily in its final form (my mic is shit, I don't think I can do anything about that but a big re-record may be in order.)

I'm way behind on my schedule, but I keep reminding myself that I'm only actually wanting to WRITE them all this year. Maybe my 2016 project will be recording them all to a reasonable standard.

Anyway here's where we're at so far:
1. Delaware - recorded in a form, as above
2. Kansas - about Westboro Baptist church. Recorded but in dire need of a new vocal
3. Minnesota - LoliButt has sent me her spoken word piece. I've written the music but I need to record it.
4. Nevada - Recorded, again needs a new vocal, about two exes reminiscing over a Fear and Loathing inspired drug binge in Vegas
5. New York - Recorded, about there being shitloads of songs about New York already. Likely opening track.
6. North Carolina - My buddy has written his parts for this, they're awaiting my overdubs.
7. Ohio - Recorded, about space travel
8. Oklahoma - Recorded, a tribute to Woody Guthrie
9. Tennessee - Recorded as just vocals and guitar. It's a murder ballad set in Nashville and I can't decide whether to have it be just acoustic or add some instruments to it
10. Washington - Written, mostly about how it rains there all the fucking time it would seem.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2015, 00:13 »

You know, there's been a couple of artists over the years that have stated that they will do a 50 state project.  John Southworth and Sufjan Stevens come to mind.  However, their concept has been 50 albums.  I'm always amused by this because they don't do the math.  50 states, at an album once every couple of years = 100 years at least to do the project.  So they quietly give up.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2015, 08:33 »

I was aware of that, which is why I went for one song, especially having never been to any of them. I actually did bother with the maths...

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #16 on: 01 Aug 2015, 10:14 »

For West Virginia - some of the most famous rockabilly musicians were from there. So that could be a style to try out.

And of course Kentucky needs to be down-home Bluegrass style.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #17 on: 01 Aug 2015, 11:47 »

WV I already wrote, not really rockabilly at all, but the lyrics are around extreme sports. I will be doing a lot of country and rockabilly type stuff as is so I needed to cut down on it a tad!

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug 2015, 14:31 »

WV I already wrote, not really rockabilly at all, but the lyrics are around extreme sports. I will be doing a lot of country and rockabilly type stuff as is so I needed to cut down on it a tad!

I can dig it. Sports has brought a lot of business back into West Virginia coal towns.
Pages: [1]   Go Up