THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 920609 times)

Cie

• Not quite a lurker
  • meh.

You guys like hardcore? Well, I like hardcore! \hxc/ >:3!

</dumb posturing>

I saw Trash Talk and OFF! the other night. Travelled three hours by train - which is a lot in a fairly small country, mind - but worth it. Modern Cali hardcore bands, obviously, all recently formed (the difference between Trash Talk and 80s stuff is that Trash Talk has modern production values. It's still as clean and crisp and tight, with as much disregard for normal song structure and brutal creativity with it. OFF! are old hat, technically - their vocalist, a lovably sarcastic bastard, is ex-Black Flag, and their bassist used to play in Redd Kross... no, I have no idea how you move from Redd Kross to OFF! either).

Er yeah, the concert. It was fantastic. Really sparse pit, rather brutal, but goodness me what fun. Both bands were pretty top notch in terms of sound, in their setlists, in their delivery, and also general stage performance. Trash Talk's vocalist spent more time mingling in the crowd than he did on the stage (it was a small venue), and it was sort of electrifying when they all climbed on top of their amps or on barrels and tried to climb up the walls (totally nuts band). And OFF! was amusingly sarcastic and had a political bent to their music that surprised me when they explained it.

So yeah, 'twas good.

I want to see something more indie-ish next time but I don't have any money because I spent it all on the gig and a T-shirt (I needed that T-shirt, kay?). Being poor sucks.

Just got back from my trip to Pittsburgh to see the Peppers and holy hell was it worth the 14 hours of driving. Every second was pure bliss. They played Blood Sugar Sex Magik and I completely melted into a puddle. After it was all over, I felt like I was floating all the way back to the hotel.....

I always have wanted to see the Peppers live. Just in 1985. Which is more problematic.

I actually like their later stuff quite a lot - more so than most fans of their early, weird stuff - just I couldn't see them now without wanting to have the best of both worlds and teleport to an obscure nightclub in 80s LA afterwards.
"Quotation is a serviceble substitute for wit." - Oscar Wilde

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Really awesome upcoming shows include:

Sokai Stilhed, Common Eider King Eider, and Barn Owl doing an improvised set w/ Jacob Felix Heule on drums July 7th

Evan Caminiti w/ Paul Clipson projecting live Super 8 films on July 13th

Meridians, Jon Porras, Common Eider King Eider, and Bill Orcutt (!!!!!!) on July 16th

Vestals, Danny Paul Grody, and Young Moon on August 9th

These are all going to rule!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

I just saw Meat Loaf with my dad.  Not normally my bag, but it was fun and I don't do much with my father.

Fang Island is coming next month, as is Murder By Death.  I am excite.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

On 27 September Dying Fetus will play with the support of Job For A Cowboy, Revocation and Cerebral Bore... Shit is going to be so brutal it won't even be funny.

And Opeth will play in November, nice.

EDIT:
Sweet jesus surfing on a sandwich! Nasum will have their final european tour and they will play near my city with support from Black Breath, Skitsystem and Pyramido.
OH MAN.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2012, 05:43 by Mr. Doctor »

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com

Going to Eistnaflug next weekend, the only real annual metal festival in Iceland. One of my bands was set to open for Sólstafir at an off-venue event, but I just got a call from our cello/trumpet player, who fell off a roof and broke his wrist yesterday.

Oh well, I still get to see Cephalic Carnage and play a couple of sets there with my doom band.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor

On doombilly's birthday Dying Fetus will play with the support of Job For A Cowboy, Revocation and Cerebral Bore... Shit is going to be so brutal it won't even be funny.
Yay. Is Dying Fetus better or worse than Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel?
http://youtu.be/OnY63APl_6c
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Depends if you like Brutal Death Mtal or not :(

That song ain't bad btw. Thanks! I'll make sure to rock that death metal concert for you xD

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor

Somebody's got to do it. It is always great for people to be excited about music they like. It gives me hope. Then an ex-Cro-Mag bassist goes of his nut...
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

So, this doesn't really fit in with the current genre discussion but I'm just so excited that I had to share.

Ben Harper is coming to Bethel. In September. Just a few weeks before my birthday. holy shit holy shit holy shit.

I'm SO flippin' excited. Now to find someone who is equally excited and wants to drive my sorry ass there!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!

FINALLY got to see Real Estate! Fun show. Being the massive fanboy that I am, I was front-center. :) Got to ogle their pedals and stuff. Seems like you can't join that band unless you posses at least one Space Echo and one MXR phaser.
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

valley_parade

• coprophage

I'm seeing Real Estate next week!

I guess I can't be a member, I got rid of my Phase 90 earlier this year.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!

Cool! Definitely a fun show. Bassist has the smallest hands on bass I've ever seen, which is inspirational to me (I have pretty small hands for my size as well). He really rocks that Mustang bass though!

They're working on some new music, said the show I was at was their first time performing a certain song. I bet they say that to all the venues. :) I saw the setlist, it was just listed as "new song", no name yet.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Hah, Alex Bleeker is rad, have you heard his solo stuff?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!

Nope, I will look it up right now!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valley_parade

• coprophage

Real Estate was fucking RAD. And because MoCA opened up their every-Thursday Beer Garden/Chalet late, we got to chill afterwards and Bleeker told me there's a new Freaks album coming out in January. Stoooooked!

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Going to see The Offspring next month for my birthday, wooooot
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Well, you'd expect me to go, wouldn't you!

Went.  Great concert. 

The Finnissy 2nd Piano Concerto (just the fourth performance in over twenty-five years - and my son apparently owns the only copy of the orchestral parts) probably has more notes for the pianist to play in the first ten minutes (a huge cadenza making up about 2/3 of the entire work) than it is usual to play in a whole concert.  Sir Harrison Birtwistle's piece (written for Nic) is not as easy to get the head around as his earlier piece Harrison's Clocks (which Nic has recorded) - but Harry is planning to revise it now he's heard it played.  Finnissy and Birtwistle were both present and went on stage for an ovation each.

Available (in the UK) in BBC R3 iPlayer.  Fortunately not TV, so you don't get to see his paunch...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface

Next month: The Melvins Lite w/ Tweak Bird, Mono, and Beach House.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991

Kind of considering going to see Hexis in London on the 12th. Seems worth seeing someone I kind of know from the internet for a fiver (that, and have my eardrums destroyed by Scandinavians).

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Probably going to see Mount Eerie (full band show) in a couple weeks. Dan Deacon, Menomena, MONO, and Swans (!!!!) are on the horizon as well!

I'm very much on the fence about this, but I MIGHT see Sunn 0)))) in a few days. I want to go, but it's $20.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I would totally see Sunn O))) for even more than that. I honestly find that cheap specially considering that a Sunn O))) gig is... unique.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio

Might see Eric Andre at the Middle East downstairs on the 17th. I've never seen live comedy before unless you count NOFX.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

Going to see MONO again when they're on tour in Europe.

If you have the opportunity to see Sunn O))) and you are not going, you are seriously missing out! Most impressive show I've ever seen.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Street Dogs and The Tossers on Friday night, yessssss.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

On 27 September Dying Fetus will play with the support of Job For A Cowboy, Revocation and Cerebral Bore... Shit is going to be so brutal it won't even be funny.

My neck... fucking OW. Hella fun though. Didn't really care for Revocation or Job For A Cowboy. Cerebral Bore was very cool though! That girl has such a monstrous voice it should be illegal. She's quite charismatic and cute in that tomboyish way. Dying Fetus were obviously the big thing... Hella nice.

Next week: Nasum with support of Black Breath, Skitsystem and Pyramido!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Animal Collective in november... I'm always the late bandwagon jumper but I hope they'll play some stuff from strawberry jam at least.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Bummer. I spent my last savings on this one...  :-\

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I got hold of a Roadburn ticket for all 4 days.
FUCK YEAH  :-)

I will also see Nasum in their final tour with the support of Pyramido, Skitsystem and Black Breath tomorrow!
FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.  :-D

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Just saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor the other night. All in the next 8 weeks or so:

Balmorhea
Menomena
The Mountain Goats
Swans
Titus Andronicus
MONO
Maserati
The Twilight Sad
Dan Deacon
Earth
Black Moth Super Rainbow

Maybe a couple others thrown in for good measure. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah? Six Organs of Admittance? OM? Coverge? Rocky Erickson? Possibilities Abound!

Hollow Press (my blog)

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface

I'm waiting for Beach House to start in the next few minutes.  But David Bazan is playing Control in its entirety on the first, and I'm super stoked.  Titus is coming again as we'll as El Ten Eleven and Red Fang. Should be a good end to the year.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

My neck... fucking OW. Hella fun though. Didn't really care for Revocation or Job For A Cowboy. Cerebral Bore was very cool though! That girl has such a monstrous voice it should be illegal. She's quite charismatic and cute in that tomboyish way. Dying Fetus were obviously the big thing... Hella nice.

Next week: Nasum with support of Black Breath, Skitsystem and Pyramido!

My buddy's brother's band Logistic Slaughter is playing with Dying Fetus and Cerebral Bore in SF on Dec. 9th. It fucks with me just how small the world can really be.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Hundred Reasons and Hell is for Heroes are reforming next month to play their debut albums in full.

I never saw them in their heydays and am so excited I could wank on a cat.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I will also see Nasum in their final tour with the support of Pyramido, Skitsystem and Black Breath tomorrow!
This concert was fucking brilliant. Easily one of the better ones I've been and a concert I won't forget anytime soon. All bands were awesome.

1 NOV:
Gojira with support of Trepalium and Klone

2 NOV:
Katatonia with support of Alcest and Junius.

Already got the tickets for both dates. Sweet.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

so excited I could wank on a cat.

Do it, I demand pix

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

Now I know you all probably don't like fun. as much as I do,
But they're coming to my uni this january! And the tickets are actually pretty cheap!
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Pedro The Lion next fucking week on their Control 10th anniversary tour

I AM SO FUCKING HARD RIGHT NOW

Zingoleb

Holy fucking fuck, Elvis Costello solo is the best thing.

hell fucking yes it is. i saw him solo a few years ago, and it was the second strongest performance I've seen (second only to Rammstein, who is pretty fucking hard to top performance-wise)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Going to see X and The Reverend Horton Heat tonight with the boyfriend.
http://www.ticketfly.com/event/160755-x-reverend-horton-heat-baltimore/

Should be interesting, I haven't been to a show in forever.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Aw damn I lied. Fuck you anxiety.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

Holy fucking fuck, Elvis Costello solo is the best thing.

hell fucking yes it is. i saw him solo a few years ago, and it was the second strongest performance I've seen (second only to Rammstein, who is pretty fucking hard to top performance-wise)
Wait... Rammstein?

uh...yes?

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

There's a chance I might get to see Nick Cave in a few months.  I'm not sure we can really afford it, but holy fuck do I want to go.  Especially because I missed the opportunity once already. 

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

KISS!

Got tickets for the Stockholm gig already, and I'm sitting on the fence about the Sweden Rock Festival gig. But if I go there then I'll probably stay the whole weekend so I can see UFO & Rush for the first time. And Avantasia, Accept, Doro, Status Quo and a whole lot of other nice stuff, though not necessarily for the first time.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2013, 06:07 by hakko504 »
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

There's a chance I might get to see Nick Cave in a few months.  I'm not sure we can really afford it, but holy fuck do I want to go.  Especially because I missed the opportunity once already.

He is an extraordinary live performer.

I saw him tour with Grinderman when they weren't Grinderman - it was Nick Cave and the Mini Seeds. They were jaw dropping.

I expected a sedate acoustic affair, but I got one of the loudest gigs I've yet been to. After three minutes of squalling feedback and piano pounding, he started singing, and I realised it was fucking 'West Country Girl' re-imagined as a noise-rock epic.

I've still not seen him with the Bad Seeds.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

If you decide to go, I am going to hunt you down and murder you.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!

Forgot to mention, I saw Los Lobos with Mariachi Garibaldi opening up (14 members on a tiny stage). Fun show, even though LL is comprised of a bunch of old fat guys now. (Except the drummer - original must have had a coronary?)

valley_parade

• coprophage

La Dispute and the Menzingers next month.

The only downside is that they're both touring as support for Hot Water Music, and this stop is an off day for HWM. =(

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Wait... Rammstein?
uh...yes?

Yeah... Regardless of what you think of the music: Their shows are amazing. It's just a fact of life. Haven't seen them live myself but I own all their DVDs and even if their shows happen to be only a portion of the awesomeness displayed in those DVDs.... That's still fucking rad.

valley_parade

• coprophage

3/2: Frank Turner
3/4: Teenage Bottle-motherfuckin'-rocket
5/4: BORIIIIIIIIIIS

ScruffCardinale

• Not quite a lurker

I'm sure there will be several local shows between now and then at various local basements and bars and such, but the next one that i've planned ahead to make sure to keep the night free for is Inspecter 7 and Mephiskapheles at Asbury Lanes on April 20th. I never got to see Meph the first time around back in the 90's and then last year they played a one off show on a boat in NY that I wanted to go to, but I had to be across the country in New Mexico the week it happened. So this time I'm hellbent on seeing them. (pun perhaps slightly intended based on their whole satanic schtick).
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58   Go Up