THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 918038 times)

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn

The Fall on Friday should be pretty good. I wonder if tommydski is going, IIRC he lives here and quite likes them. That would be weird.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Shiny Toy Guns don't really excite me as such, but a friend of mine is really excited about it and wants me to go with her. Anybody know if they put on a decent show or not?
A friend of mine went to go see them and apparently it was a big disaster. That was a few years ago, though.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

I'm leaving to see WOMEN in like 20 minutes.

Hooray.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

TSO is going to be in Denver December 3rd and 4th, I am going to try to make that show, I really need to get a job.

DO IT. They put on a hell of a show.

Agreed, i saw them last year for the first time and it was insane.  So much so that I'm going again this year (i forgot the date but its at the Izod Center in Jersey).  They played for nearly 3 hours.  The first half of the show was like a play, the did the majority of the story telling album.  Then, when i figured the show was over and still happy with their performance, the lead dude came out and told everyone they were just getting started, and played for another hour-hour & a half.  Then brought out Roger Daltry and did three Who songs with him.

The performances itself we awesome, two dudes in long tuxedo coats running around playing christmas songs on flying v guitars, backing band, multiple vocalists, and a 6 or 7 piece string group.  The light show was like a show in itself.

It also probably helped that I had dead center floor seats, which were towards the back so they were on risers.  High five the Izod Center for that.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

valley_parade

• coprophage

THE. FUCKING. ERGS. WEDNESDAY.

(hopefully!)

Nope. =/
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn

The Fall on Friday should be pretty good. I wonder if tommydski is going, IIRC he lives here and quite likes them. That would be weird.

I've seen the Fall a couple of times before. As you probably know, I love a lot of their records. In particular I am a massive fan of their records up to Room to Live. I still buy their records but I do not think I have interest in seeing them (or him) live any more. It's reached the point where it's actually pretty hard to watch MES for any length of time. The dude is messed up. He's still got it but he has this thing whereby he severely limits all of the things that makes live music an entertaining spectacle. Sometimes I want to hear a song or two from earlier records, call me a jerk if you like. Sometimes I want a bit of banter or audience interaction. Sometimes I want the musicians to be able to improvise or stray from the recorded versions of songs. Thus, I probably won't go.

However, I will go and see The Wedding Present later in the year!

Do you, or anyone else, know if they sell T-Shirts or other merchandise at the shows? If they had shirts of album covers that would be cool. I'm probably going to see TWP as well, if anyone will go with me.

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome

I'm seeing the Australian Pink Floyd Show on Friday, then the Decemberists soon after.  I am fairly psyched for both!
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Guys, I have a dilemma. M83 tomorrow, or Built to Spill performing Perfect from Now On saturday? Or M83 tomorrow and Built to Spill saturday, but being dead tired during the last show and sorta broke afterwards? Help me, this is hard!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

benji

• Bling blang blong blung

I would go with M83, but not having seen either live, I can't say for sure.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock

Dude, it's Built to Spill. Performing Perfect from Now On. Why would you not go. (That is not a question, because there is no reasonable answer.)
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Metope

Mixed messages.

...Although, what was I really expecting? I'm playing Saturdays=Youth and Perfect from Now On on repeat to try to decide, and right now I'm leaning towards both. It will be exhausting because I'm working on saturday from 11am to 7pm, but I think I can manage it.

Metope

Yes, this is the best god damn sandwich ever.

Are you planning on going to any of the shows, by the way?

Metope

Okay then! I'll just hang out with my other friends. My cool friends.

Metope

Margrethe and Martin, and probably some of their friends.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!

No. I am way too busy, and besides, you saw how I handled The Wombats.

I am terrible at concerts.

To be fair, I'm not sure anyone can handle a Wombats gig well.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

suitupletsgo

• Obscure cultural reference

Jeremy Enigk announced more fall tour dates and he's coming back to Philly in December and I am sure as shit going to catch that again. At least half of his last show consisted of Sunny Day songs, and it was A-fucking-+

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating

I believe I am seeing Andrew Bird at the Largo (a 280 seat theater) this month.

That should be all kinds of AWESOME.
And without further ado, I am done typing.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building

I just saw him last night, and he is amazing.  Enjoy the show, MobyDickhole!

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com

it's a ways away yet, but i'm entertaining the idea of visiting my brother at uni in sheffield for a coupla days, where we'll check out two nights of assorted metal in the forms of Isis, Torche, and Johnny Truant...  and then if all goes to plan, Wildhearts in Wolverhampton the following week!

Hljómalind

The next big gigs I'm going to are Aimee Mann at the Indigo2 (excellent last time I saw her) with my Aimee Mann obsessive friend and her Aimee Mann superobsessive father, and then Sigur Ros in November (which, if it's as good as their headline at Latitude, should be awesome).

I have a bunch of small free/cheap gigs coming up, most of which will probably be pretty tame. I'll try to make it to Marwood's last 2008 gig.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

I won tickets to Deerhoof and TV on the Radio but both are within the next two weeks and I have nobody to drive to Minneapolis with to see them.

SAD DAY.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!

woah what

dang

what're you doing with them?
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

No. I am way too busy, and besides, you saw how I handled The Wombats.

I am terrible at concerts.
the wombats
THE WOMBATS

Hahaha oh wow you really are
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Is it just me or does almost every british "indie" band's singer have the same annoying faux-cockney voice no matter where the fuck it is they come from? That said, the wombats are pretty bland and unoriginal.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
  • Most participants desire.
    • Fritzwicky

St Jerome’s Laneway Festival 2009

GIRL TALK, STEREOLAB, ARCHITECTURE IN HELSINKI, THE HOLD STEADY, THE DRONES, CUT OFF YOUR HANDS, FOUR TET, TAME IMPALA, EL GUINCHO, JAY REATARD, BURAKA SOM SISTEMA DJ/MC SET, THE TEMPER TRAP, NO AGE, JOHN STEEL SINGERS, CANYONS, PIVOT, PORT O’BRIEN, HOLLY THROSBY, BORN RUFFIANS, MOUNTAINS IN THE SKY, TIM FITE, STILL FLYIN , DAEDELUS...plus more to be announced
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Oh wow they are finally bringing it to Perth... with a lineup that I'm not all that crazy about. Depending on how much it costs I may still go pretty much just for Girl Talk, and the fact that it is such a great little festival.

(technicaly it'd be cool to see AiH and The Hold Steady and the Drones and Jay Reatard as well but I'm not crazy about it either)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Any reason why?

Metope

Hahaha oh wow you really are

I had my reasons! I did not go there because I wanted to go a lot but because my sister and another friend of mine wanted to go and my friend was super depressed at the time so I decided to come along to cheer her up a bit!

Hey! You invited me, remember? I wouldn't have gone if you didn't invite me. Oh well, I'm glad I went anyway, the warm up bands were worth my time and money, simply because they were hysterical.

Metope

No, I knew about the show but decided not to go, and then you said something like "My friends wants me to go to this Wombats show with them... Wanna come too?" You didn't seem too enthusiastic about it either, so I thought "Why not...", so we at least could be a little "whatever" together.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Deerhoof (omgomgwoot) on Tuesday, at First Ave. I tried to talk one of my friends into going with me, so I started the conversation by saying "Hey, do like Deerhoof?"
His response: "...Man, I don't even know"
It was a good moment. He's still undecided, but I think the fact that it's a pretty cheap show might sway him.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Isn't that the one that Liz is going to by accident?
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Might be going to. I really don't want to drive to Minneapolis by myself but I am hoping Brittany will be able to go with me!

But damn. I could meet forumites!
Liz is touching me.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

RADIO SOULWAX
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Do it do it! That would be super cool.

Edit: Oh hey I'm also going to that TVOTR show.

Edit Edit: Wait! Actually there are two and I am going to the one that is All Ages, so we probably don't have tickets for the same TVOTR show.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2008, 06:16 by De_El »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava

I won tickets to Deerhoof and TV on the Radio but both are within the next two weeks and I have nobody to drive to Minneapolis with to see them.

SAD DAY.

Fuckin' do it anyway.

St Jerome’s Laneway Festival 2009

GIRL TALK, STEREOLAB, ARCHITECTURE IN HELSINKI, THE HOLD STEADY, THE DRONES, CUT OFF YOUR HANDS, FOUR TET, TAME IMPALA, EL GUINCHO, JAY REATARD, BURAKA SOM SISTEMA DJ/MC SET, THE TEMPER TRAP, NO AGE, JOHN STEEL SINGERS, CANYONS, PIVOT, PORT O’BRIEN, HOLLY THROSBY, BORN RUFFIANS, MOUNTAINS IN THE SKY, TIM FITE, STILL FLYIN , DAEDELUS...plus more to be announced

Pretty good lineup, tempting!

Mountain Goats with Baseball in December! Should be awesome, Baseball are one of my favourite local bands.

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating

There is a festival being put on by the Barenaked Ladies on a boat.

http://www.shipsanddip.com/

The Line up includes: The Weakerthans, Sloan, and The Mountain Goats among others...

I'm not going. It's way too expensive/ nowhere near me

but it would be pretty cool.
And without further ado, I am done typing.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Guhhhh I really hope Brittany will want to go with me.
Liz is touching me.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Mountain Goats with Baseball in December! Should be awesome, Baseball are one of my favourite local bands.

Oh man I keep forgettin about the Mountain Goats tour. To be honest I was kind of stoked when they cancelled in April, because the show happened to be on the day I left for a holiday. Now I can see them, yay! (if i remember to buy tickets)

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.

Oh hey the Mountain Goats again. I will be at that show.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

mongostomp

mother fucking trash talk and war hungry on the 25th at stelton church :mrgreen:

spoon_of_grimbo

Is it just me or does almost every british "indie" band's singer have the same annoying faux-cockney voice no matter where the fuck it is they come from? That said, the wombats are pretty bland and unoriginal.

thank fuck, i thought i was alone in thinking this.  and being in the UK i get subjected to it all the more often.  u want the worst example of it?  "22 grand job" by the rakes.  just a tone-deaf piss-sponge of a singer going "22 grand job in the city, it's alright" in a mockney-bollocks voice for 3 minutes.  complete sack of horsewank, that song.

Trashole

Blacklisted,Ceremony,Let Down, Have Heart, Swamp Thing on the 22nd

Ruiner, Trash Talk, Brace War on the 30th

Just moved to Georgia from NJ, so I'm kinda anxious to see what the HC scene is down here.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn

thank fuck, i thought i was alone in thinking this.  and being in the UK i get subjected to it all the more often.  u want the worst example of it?  "22 grand job" by the rakes.  just a tone-deaf piss-sponge of a singer going "22 grand job in the city, it's alright" in a mockney-bollocks voice for 3 minutes.  complete sack of horsewank, that song.

Oh man please do not be implying that The Rakes were ever as bad as the recent rash of crappy "indie rock" bands that have followed the Kooks (the Wombats, Scouting For Girls, Fratellis). They were never great, but they weren't as bad as a lot of what we get now. Plus, they're actually from London, so I think we can cut them a bit of slack for sounding like it.

Also, to keep this on topic:

This week I am going to see of Montreal and, on Saturday, Holy Fuck, both of which should be great. Although apparently The Bug is playing in my area on Saturday, which I am disappointed to be missing - hopefully it will still be going by the time I get back from Holy Fuck. It's dubstep, so I don't imagine it'll end early. Apparently El Guincho is playing at my uni on Halloween, too, which should be pretty much good times! Last time I saw him, people got angry with us for dancing. Hopefully this will not happen again.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2008, 12:59 by october1983 »

spoon_of_grimbo

Oh man please do not be implying that The Rakes were ever as bad as the recent rash of crappy "indie rock" bands that have followed the Kooks (the Wombats, Scouting For Girls, Fratellis). They were never great, but they weren't as bad as a lot of what we get now. Plus, they're actually from London, so I think we can cut them a bit of slack for sounding like it.

i was just using them as an example.  although i can cut the kooks and the fratellis some slack as they've written a handful of catchy tunes between them.  admittedly the catchiness is all they've got going for them, but the rakes can't even boast that.  tbh, i tend to disregard any band that gets hugely hyped by NME magazine.  in 3 years or so of taking that approach, i've gone on to eventually hear most of those bands and found that i was pretty much right to have ignored them.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

KREATOR with support EXODUS

Next April though....

Rosetta and Broken Social Scene are both playing here in November. Though I doubt I could go...  :(

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom

I was gonna post here before I saw Man Man this past Sunday, but did not.

If you ever get the chance, see them. SEE THEM. Oh man what a show.

Everybody plays 5 instruments, everybody gets percussion, everybody goes nuts, everybody is constantly throwing party favors at each other. The guy who looks like Dan Deacon went through like 9 drum sticks that night. It was a show to be remembered.

Future shows I'm excited about: Fucked Up, Polysics/Jaguar Love, William E. Whitmore/Murder by Death, Bon Iver
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Metope

Sad day! I could've been on my way to see Xiu Xiu right now, but instead I'm stuck writing this stupid essay that has to be handed in tomorrow. So much for planning things in advance.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn

If it's any consolation, when I saw Xiu Xiu a few months ago it was kind of dull.

Metope

Yessss! Let's hope the show today will be boring too. Thankfully I don't know anyone who's going, so that's the way I'll imagine it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 58   Go Up