THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 17:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 929971 times)

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

<fanboy>

The Thermals this weekend were fucking AWESOME! Point Juncture, WA and Shaky Hands were great openers, and I'm thinking sometime today I'll put Point Juncture, WA's album up in the mediafire thread.

My friend has some pretty awesome pictures, but for now here's a YouTube video of Friday's Encore, in the first 5 seconds you can see Westin Glass high five me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAr2F4_jRDo

</fanboy>

ADRIAN WOODHOUSE

• Emoticontraindication

casiotone for the painfully alone on thursday. anathallo on saturday and the mae shi on monday! great week!!!!

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating

I'm seeing Steve Martin tonight.
I'm sooo goddam stoked.

and TORTOISE at the Troubadour comin' up....
And without further ado, I am done typing.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

awesome MONO pics

I could be in that second one!  I was up in the balcony, right near the dude standing up!  My view looked like this: (it's from my phone, so its kind of shitty)

Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Yeah I invited Sean to come to my band practice and hang out with my band and I and party all night but he failed.

if i wasn't staying with my cousin who lives like, an hour outside the city i totally would have partied it up all night with you.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor

I'm going to see Church Of Misery tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!

Fair enough man. Come again some other time.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

valley_parade

• coprophage

Blonde Redhead at the end of June.

And Mass MoCA's first music festival in August. Kaki King's playing, and that alone is worth going for.
http://massmoca.org/event_details.php?id=480
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.

Oren Ambarchi, ambioso guitar-electronics freak and member of Sun O))) and Burial Chamber Trio, is going to be making a loud-but-quiet (  :? ) noise in my town next week.  Ace.

Ballard

• Older than Moses

Was this in New York? A friend went to that.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Was Grouper opening for them at that show? Because I'd be a lot more jealous about that than about you seeing Animal Collective.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ballard

• Older than Moses

Oh if you live here look me up or something if you'd like to meet the internet.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com

saw Virgins, The Cut-Ups, Big City Plan, and Wilson Fisk (all REET gud punk rock bands) in a basement underneath a pub in Birmingham on monday.  it was awesome!  and i've just found out that A Wilhelm Scream and Flatliners are playing a gig a short train ride away from home at the end of august.  this summer is going to be awesome!

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier

guysss I need to decide. Grizzly Bear June 2, or Isis & Pelican June 3? (it's the same week as finals, but fuck it, I am going to one of them.)

Ballard

• Older than Moses

The latter.

spoon_of_grimbo

never heard of grizzly bear, but isis' new album is more epic than i could possibly convey with words and i'd envy anyone who gets to experience it live!

Koremora

• Oh, hey.

Man that is a hard-ass choice. I'm going to see both, but I guess it depends if you want to hear big, lush, sweepingly folky melodies or have your face epic'd off by some post-metal. Either one you pick is going to be ballsmashingly good.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I found out about the Spiritualized gig in Manchester where they will play Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space from start to finish.

I saw them over the summer, but god damn do I want to go see that come December. Anyone want to sponsor a ticket to Manchester for me?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

scarred

• Older than Moses

LEAVING FOR SASQUATCH TOMORROW

OMFGGGGGG

SO EXCITEDDDDDD

DDDDDDD
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy

Sonic Youth, July 2nd at the Electric Factory. Fuck yussssssssss.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

I found out about the Spiritualized gig in Manchester where they will play Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space from start to finish.

I saw them over the summer, but god damn do I want to go see that come December. Anyone want to sponsor a ticket to Manchester for me?

I too will be accepting to pledges for me to go see this show cos holy fuck ghlafshjldfs
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Give Generously, Please.

Tote Bag?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Getting a group of friends together to go see Weezer and Blink 182 at the end of August.

Honestly, I am VERY excited because I've been wanting to see Weezer since I was about 15. That was SEVEN years ago, amigos y amigas.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

scarred

• Older than Moses

LEAVING FOR SASQUATCH TOMORROW IN 2 HOURS

OMFGGGGGG

SO EXCITEDDDDDD

DDDDDDD

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

leaving for Sasquatch on sunday. gonna see Black Moth Super Rainbow and Deerhoof and Gogol Bordello and maybe School of Seven Bells and some others who i can't remember. whooo
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Apparently I can get a bus ticket to London (cause they're doing it there through ATP as well) for about 10 pounds, a hostel for a couple more, and this ticket for 32.

I'm thinking of making it a weekend trip. There's going to be a choir, a string and horn section, and surprises. I kind of definitely want to go now.

http://www.atpfestival.com/NewsView/0904091504.php
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

For those who know:
How are Grizzly Bear live? What about The Weakerthans? Worth $20 each or there abouts?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Saw Simon Felice in Woodstock last night.  For a guy who just started his own side project he sure did play a lot of Felice Brothers songs..good show though.

Turns out I got tickets for BOTH Wilco and Sonic Youth as part of an early birthday present deal.  July's gonna rock! SY on the 3rd and Wilco on the 18th.

sean

• welp

awwwwwww yeah punx tonight at the house of awesome times!

fuck yeah!

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Moderat (Modeselektor/Apparat) are playing at some club nearby on Wednesday, so that'll be pretty cool.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Got back from Sasquatch today. FREAKING AWESOME. I went all 3 days, naturally. The highlights were Gogol Bordello, Silversun Pickups, Crystal Castles, Deadmau5, M83, Santigold, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Doves, Mad Rad, Mos Def, Ra Ra Riot, St. Vincent, of Montreal, Girl Talk, Owl City, King Khan & the Shrines, and Explosions in the Sky.

Some points worth noting:

-Animal Collective's set wasn't all jamming, yay!
-Gogol Bordello went like a half hour long, not ending until Fleet Foxes were supposed to start
-Mad Rad lived up to their reputation (they've been banned from every majoy music venue in Seattle) by spitting on the crowd (and each other), throwing their shoes, bringing only 30 CDs as merch, and at one point, telling some woman that "I'm gonna fuck your vagina with his dick behind that tent."
-Passion Pit is awful live
-During their last song, "Lazy Eye," the Silversun Pickups' guitarist's chord broke, and so they launched into an epic jam session, and when they finally fixed it, the guitarist played with quadruple the intensity that he'd been at the entire show, culminating in the best finale ever. "Lazy Eye" should be 12 minutes long every time.
-Girl Talk invited about 100 people onto his stage to dance with him. Nearing the middle of his set, there was a bigger standing & dancing crowd there than anywhere else that weekend. Also, there was a giant inflatable whale.
-Crystal Castles' Alice was so coked out that all of her vocals were intense, earsplitting shrieks. Luckily, the rest of the show was so effing loud that you could almost ignore her completely.
-Every time I tried to use a porta-john at night, I had to check through at least 3 of them before finding one that wasn't covered in diahrrea and/or vomit and/or beer.

I miss it already.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

I didn't think I'd be able to make it, but then I could, so I went and saw Yeah Yeah Yeahs today! It was pretty awesome.  There was confetti and dramatic posing and Dave Pajo, and of course the spitting and microphone deepthroating that one comes to expect from Karen O in a YYYs context. It's Blitz material held up pretty well, and "Zero" is catchy as hell, but dang is it just so much fun when they freak out on a song like "Art Star" or "Date with the Night." Would have been kind of nice to hear an Is Is song or two, but aside from that minor complaint, it was a good time and I came home sweaty and dehydrated.

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.

-During their last song, "Lazy Eye," the Silversun Pickups' guitarist's chord broke, and so they launched into an epic jam session, and when they finally fixed it, the guitarist played with quadruple the intensity that he'd been at the entire show, culminating in the best finale ever.
KERRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

"goddamn, someone fix that chord quick!!"

-AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGG

scarred

• Older than Moses

-During their last song, "Lazy Eye," the Silversun Pickups' guitarist's chord broke, and so they launched into an epic jam session, and when they finally fixed it, the guitarist played with quadruple the intensity that he'd been at the entire show, culminating in the best finale ever.
KERRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

"goddamn, someone fix that chord quick!!"

-AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGG

My bad. Cord. Ampular plugin.

MrDorman

• Emoticontraindication

I plan on going to see Ween up in Bend OR in August. Should be pretty awesome.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

i'm gonna echo Scarred and say that Sasquatch was fucking incredible. he pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as highlights go...EXCEPT for Black Moth Super Rainbow. their set had some of the thickest, heaviest bass i've ever felt in my entire life. i say "felt" because it really was more felt than heard; i thought my heart was going to vibrate through my rib cage and fall onto the ground. it was fucking incredible. they had a bigass jumbotron screen thingy behind them displaying some of the most awesome/ridiculous/disturbing video i could imagine. my friends and i lit up a joint the second that "Sun Lips" started playing and it was sooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooood. they pretty much played all the songs i wanted them to play.

also, that giant inflatable dolphin/whale that came out during Girl Talk got dragged into the dance tent later that night when Tobacco was playing. it was completely deflated so it was basically just a big plastic sheet on top of a bunch of people dancing their asses off. in a good way.

Girl Talk was fucking amazing. i was gonna leave it out to avoid redundancy but holy shit it was like one of the most awesome things i've ever seen. he wasn't even on the main stage but his crowd was bigger than almost every band that actually was on the main stage. fuck it was so awesome
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

sean

• welp

ohhhhhhhhhh god scumday in two days. oh fkkkkkkk pygmy lush and pianos become the teeth are playing too shiiiiiiiit.

seriously guys scumbag nation is the best fucking house in DC right now i am so excited.

scarred

• Older than Moses

i'm gonna echo Scarred and say that Sasquatch was fucking incredible. he pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as highlights go...EXCEPT for Black Moth Super Rainbow.

I missed them in favor of Grizzly Bear and if the rest of the day hadn't been mind-boggling I would've regretted it more... ah, well. I'll nurse my sunburns and listen to Rollerdisco in the darkness of my room. /sob

sean

• welp

Okay punk show report.

We get there at 7, blah blah blah blah, hangouts and cigarettes, first band starts a touch after 8. This band is called Dogs Without Borders, and its also apparently their first show. And man, they were good. It started out reminding me of slint or early 90's indie rock type stuff. Then they played a cover song (i dont know of what) which was really fucking good and the guitarist and baritone guitarist (i think he was playing a bari) swiched instruments. After that, they were basically a Faraquet cover band. I thought for a second they had started playing a Faraquet song! They were really good and I expect some good things to come out of this band.

Once they finished me and my friend pat decided we needed more cigarettes so we went go to buy some more. On the way back (we weren't gone a half hour) I called my friend pancho who hung around to see what the status of show was and he said the second band was already on their first song, which surprised the fuck out of me. The next band usually doesn't even think about setting up till after a half hour. I got into the basement near the end of probably their third song. They played one more and that was the end of the set. (these guys, Voyage in Coma, were playing their first show too.) It was some kind of mid tempo screamo but they also played way to fucking loud. I couldn't decipher anything that was going on just due to sheer volume. I was pretty bummed out about this.

I wasn't bummed out for long though, cause Pianos Become the Teeth was next. They play I guess mostly mid-tempo screamo that hints at post rock. And holy shit, were they good. They started off with two new songs and you could just feel how the crowd wanted to go off. But we weren't. Then Pianos played Creatures Of Habit, a song off their split with Ezra Joyce. Once that song got past the quiet intro, the place just went off, which was amazing. They continued the rest of their set with some new songs and even played one extra song! They were absolutely great. Afterward I picked up their split with Ezra Joyce and had a chat with their guitarist. They apparently have a new CD out in 2 weeks so I'm pretty stoked for that. He was also giving away their old album, called the Saltwater EP but nobody was taking it. Honestly, its not that good. But hey, their new songs are pretty awesome so thats okay.

Normally after that set, I would have been apprehensive that the next band might not be as good. However, tonight that wasn't a problem because Pygmy Lush was next. And my god, were they good. And to answer your question Will, they didn't playing any folk songs. It was all punk. I sadly had to leave near the end of the set cause my friend was driving me home and he had to leave. However, what I saw was totally amazing. Those dudes don't fuck around, they know whats up.

Koremora

• Oh, hey.

Saw ISIS, Pelican, and Tombs on friday night. The show was SO FUCKING GOOD. I was on the front row, and apparently Tombs enjoyed how much I was into it, because the drummer tossed me a drumstick. Pelican was fantastic, they played mostly new songs and songs from the EP. ISIS was WUUUUUUUH SO GOOD HOLY FUCK. They played the entire new album, and other songs like Dulcinea, Carry, and FUCKING IN FICTION YES. ISIS also seemed to appreciate me freaking the fuck out, because after the show was over, the guy from the show Parks and Rec (he lives in Asheville, apparently he is an ISIS fan) came out and gave me a drumstick from ISIS. Then I got to talk to Bryant Clifford Meyer (the keyboardist) and meet Trevor and Bryan from Pelican at the merch booth. All in all, one of the best shows I have ever been to.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

dear thread about shows:

i am trying to decide between seeing fischerspooner (june 2nd, $25) and tiga (june 5th, $15)
what are your thoughts on this?

love,
anna
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy

I actually had plans to go to Bonnaroo, but as of now my ride has bailed. So, I have $210 wasted on a ticket to a festival I can't go to. Fucking sucks. =/
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg

I'm bringing Brasstronaut to my school on June 9th, then Japandroids soon after.
Brasstronauts playing some new stuff, here's a song from it:
http://sledisland-podcasts.tumblr.com/ (podcast 2)
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

dear thread about shows:

i am trying to decide between seeing fischerspooner (june 2nd, $25) and tiga (june 5th, $15)
what are your thoughts on this?

love,
anna

Fischerspooner put on some pretentious "performances" with dancers and mostly prerecorded audio which is visually really impressive.
Tiga is so goddamn sexy
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Ballard

• Older than Moses

I actually had plans to go to Bonnaroo, but as of now my ride has bailed. So, I have $210 wasted on a ticket to a festival I can't go to. Fucking sucks. =/

Dude this looks to be a really good Bonnaroo. You can't find another ride?

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy

I've tried, but all the cars/RV's of people I know who are going are full.....I COULD fly down, but it's mad expensive and I can't afford it.

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy

Well, I found someone to get me there, but they can't drive me back....anyone on here that lives in PA and is going to Bonnaroo? =/

spoon_of_grimbo

Also, why would it cost $2.50 for me to print the ticket at home?

as with most complaints/queries, ticketmaster's succint explanation would mostly likely be "because FUCK YOU, that's why."

they suck.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Transportation ain't cheap, but it sure as shit is usually cheaper than goddang Ticketmaster charges. Physical box offices! They're crazy!

Although it wasn't Ticketmaster that was trying to charge me an extra third of the ticket price, I traveled to the Metro ahead of time to get my ticket to see St. Vincent on Sunday.

CScheiner

Hopefully, if I order soon, I will see The Fray on the 19th with Jack's Mannequin (meh). What I really wanna see is Dinosaur Jr. at the Central Park SummerStage on Aug 16th. Maybe June 30th to see Sufjan Stevens.

If I can, I really wanna go to the All Points West Music Festival. Highlights of each day:
Friday: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fleet Foxes
Saturday: Tool, Artic Monkeys, Gogol Bordello, Crystal Castles
SUNDAY: COldplay, MGMT (better play older stuff), Silversun Pickups, Mogwai
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58   Go Up