THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 21:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 917944 times)

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

i mean if yr gonna hate fun i guess i cant really stop you.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

valley_parade

• coprophage

I forgot Small Brown Bike were still around. Rad.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

sean

• welp

im pretty sure they've gotten back together.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Yeah, apparently they put out a new 7" today. Nice.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

i mean if yr gonna hate fun i guess i cant really stop you.

for reference "they alright" is like a 7 out of 10

i'd still go to a show
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

5 days until Joanna Newsom with 8-piece string accompaniment in a little church in Montreal!
Also, 5 days until Joanna Newsom with 8-piece string accompaniment in a little church in Montreal!
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

5 days until Joanna Newsom with 8-piece string accompaniment in a little church in Montreal!
Also, 5 days until Joanna Newsom with 8-piece string accompaniment in a little church in Montreal!

3 days until I see her in a shitty venue in Toronto.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course

Converge, Kylesa, Gaza, Kvelertak European tour YESSSSSSSS. http://www.convergecult.com/49/
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Fucking hell is Converge just touring with EVERYBODY?

They're touring here with Genghis Tron (I AM SEEING THEM TOMORROW NIGHT HOLY FUCK YES!), then going back to America to do a headliner where they have Coalesce, Lewd Acts, Gaza, Black Breath, Harvey Milk, Thursday and Touche Amore among others, THEN they're doing that Kylesa/Gaza/Kvelertak tour. No to mention that they did the High on Fire/Mastodon/Dethklok tour last year. Thoroughly ridiculous!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker

3 days until I see her in a shitty venue in Toronto.

I thought the Ukrainian Federation show on Sunday was pretty good despite (1) the wooden pews; (2) Neal Morgan a.k.a. the most pretentious barefoot drummer on earth; (3) the opener.  Yes, I'm calling Morgan pretentious in the context of a Joanna Newsom show.

Also, if you think Phoenix is bad, in a few weeks I see spoon at Soundstage, formerly The Docks.  In an all ages show.  Meaning that the drinking area is cordoned off.  Pity me.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

This Sunday night there is a show that I am going to and I am looking forward to it.

It is the Pixies playing Doolittle.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

I thought the Ukrainian Federation show on Sunday was pretty good despite (1) the wooden pews; (2) Neal Morgan a.k.a. the most pretentious barefoot drummer on earth; (3) the opener.  Yes, I'm calling Morgan pretentious in the context of a Joanna Newsom show.

Also, if you think Phoenix is bad, in a few weeks I see spoon at Soundstage, formerly The Docks.  In an all ages show.  Meaning that the drinking area is cordoned off.  Pity me.

I don't know anything about Neal Morgan except that he was really funny and friendly when Joanna Newsom had to tune her harp for about 8 minutes and left him to his own devices to talk to the audience. I couldn't see his feet. There was water dripping on him from the ceiling for basically the entire show.

What was the setlist like at the show you saw? They could only play for about an hour and fifteen minutes on Saturday. I think they had to be done by 9.30.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto

Envy. I was listening to them this morning and thinking "It would be so great to be in this band."

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

So, The Hold Steady are playing a show near me.  I'm planning on going baked out of my mind.  Also, Against Me! are playing there too a week later and Dead to Me and some other band whose name escapes me at the moment are opening for them.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

This Sunday night there is a show that I am going to and I am looking forward to it.

It is the Pixies playing Doolittle.

fuck yeah! o/

I'm pretty anti-shows these days because they're expensive and involve travelling but, having seen the Pixies twice already, I would instantly drop anything and spend all my money to see them again. They are fantastic live.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

I don't know anything about Neal Morgan except that he was really funny and friendly when Joanna Newsom had to tune her harp for about 8 minutes and left him to his own devices to talk to the audience. I couldn't see his feet. There was water dripping on him from the ceiling for basically the entire show.

What was the setlist like at the show you saw? They could only play for about an hour and fifteen minutes on Saturday. I think they had to be done by 9.30.

I actually liked Neal Morgan. He came off as a nice guy during the Sunday show. And hey, I got to ask them a question about their "musical studies" (they have none (well, the two arrangers anyways)) and I got to plug Owen Pallett's record. (I feel like such a street-teamer though (twas worth it))

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

I'm pretty anti-shows these days because they're expensive and involve travelling but, having seen the Pixies twice already, I would instantly drop anything and spend all my money to see them again. They are fantastic live.

Yeah, I saw them the last time they came out here and even though it was in an outdoor festival context they were phenomenal. The prospect of seeing them indoors, and playing Doolittle in its entirety, is almost jaw-droppingly exciting. It's the only show I could possibly imagine where I paid more than A$90 without even thinking about it.

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music

I'm road tripping down to Portland Oregon to see Bear in Heaven and Cymbals Eat Guitars on the 27th. 99% of the reason for this is seeing And the Hazy Sea performed live.
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.

I saw that exact same lineup on the 9th, and FUCK DICK it was incredible. Both bands absolutely destroy live. Plus, if you get the chance to chat, they're really nice, too! Joe is such a cool guy.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music

We'll see how shy I'm feeling that night
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker

I actually liked Neal Morgan. He came off as a nice guy during the Sunday show. And hey, I got to ask them a question about their "musical studies" (they have none (well, the two arrangers anyways)) and I got to plug Owen Pallett's record. (I feel like such a street-teamer though (twas worth it))

You guys got fucked royally at the Phoenix show, to quote this Globe & Mail article: "By then it was obvious that this show should have happened in a proper theatre, with no time limit placed on a singer whose latest album (Have One On Me) runs over two hours. For her to land at the Phoenix was a comprehensive failure by her management, her booking agent, and the promoter."  What the hell kind of venue has an "internal curfew" that ends at 9:15pm on a Saturday anyway?

I don't remember the exact setlist at my show but it seemed that the set was all stuff off the new album including Kingfisher and Daddy Longlegs, and the encore was Emily.  Which is a hell of an encore, really.  Set + encore went for a little longer than 1.5 hours I think, although I'm not sure.

Scary, that's pretty cool that you got to meet the arrangers after the show, how did you manage that?  Fake a press pass on your home PC again?  Well done.  I have nothing against Neal Morgan the person (I think they did that thing where Newsom tuned and Morgan joked with the audience at almost every show this tour), it just annoys me that he goes out of his way to reflect Newsom's ... preciousness with exaggerated drum antics, and I still maintain a strong belief that he cannot effectively keep a beat on his own set for any sustained period.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Oh no, I'm talking about the actual show time. Cause Morgan and Francesconi** were talking/goofing with the audience and yeah, people were asking serious and goofy questions,  I raised my hand and asked a queston (?).

**Don't forget that Morgan and Francesconi are the arrangers.

And yeah, uh, you were at the Sunday show, right? She started with Jackrabbits if I'm not mistaken. Continued with two songs (or three) on the piano, one that you can find on Vimeo and the other was Good Intentions Paving Co. She did two songs from her first album: Sadie and The Book of Right-On. Last song was Emily, encore was a song I forgot the name at the moment (someone requested Only Skin). And yeah. that's from the top of my head though.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

April is going to be a great month.  Seeing Ted Leo the 9th, The Thermals the 17th, and Flaming Lips the 18th.  Also possibly booking Beach Fossils to play in my college town on the 30th!

The best part is possibly having an interview with The Thermals for my college radio station when I see them.  It would basically make my life.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker

Last song was Emily, encore was a song I forgot the name at the moment (someone requested Only Skin). And yeah. that's from the top of my head though.

I didn't hear the audience member request Only Skin, I just heard her start laughing and say "I would if I'd practiced it."  Heh.  There are a lot of words to that one.  We were up on the balcony so I didn't hear most of the audience questions.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto

The Appleseed Cast is playing this weekend. Special set: Low Level Owl Volume I & II in their entirety.

I HAVE NO MONEY I CANNOT GO.  :x

Catacombs

Just bought tickets to see Pearl Jam at Madison Square Garden.  Tickets were expensive and I hate the Garden (every time I see a show there I leave saying "I'm never coming to the Garden again" but I really want to see them, plus it was the first show in forever I didn't have to FIND someone to go with or persuade my friends or anything like that.  Plus, Black Keys are opening!
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor

You know... um here's a real life message I got on the internets about our show last night at our local rednek pool hall.
Quote from: some twat
To: illicitizen ([email protected])

Apologies for not showing up at your show tonight after clicking "yes".  I suppose we got there too early - around 9:35.  The parking lot was completely empty and there was a bearded guy standing on the sidewalk talking to the sky.  Decided not to stop this time.  Hope it went well.
I'm not going to dignify it with a response but I really just wanted to say, "stay in your fucking exurb enclave and watch TV or go listen to some dadrock blues whilst having a choco-tini you pussy assed mother fuckers." BTW, this was from a drummer that we entertained playing with. Good luck with the fern bar circuit, bitch. /RANTOFF
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

Right now I'm pretty excited about seeing Eyehategod + Shrinebuilder + Kylesa + 3 other bands next month. That should be pretty good.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Joanna Newom was brilliant! Played a whole bunch of songs including the whole first disc of Have One on Me except '81 and a few others from the album and then Peach, Plumb, Pear, The Book of Right On, and Inflammatory Writ from Milk Eyed Mender. Nothing off Ys sadly. Was supposed to play Monkey and Bear but one of the pedals on her harp broke so she couldn't :-( That aside it was a really amazing show. Didn't hurt that I was about 20 feet away from her the whole time.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

kyleg

• Plantmonster

Going to see Mastodon and BTBAM at The National in Richmond April 18th.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome

Right now I'm pretty excited about seeing Eyehategod That should be pretty good.

I am going to see eyehategod also. I'm very excited, I've been stuck in the middle of the country for a month away from things like fun & partying & people who can make jokes about Geddy Lee. It is going to blow my socks off.

Also hoping to see Rolo Tomassi & Trash Talk. & possibly Flight of The Conchords.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

scarred

• Older than Moses

oh man I saw FotC at Sasquatch in '08, waited all day at the front of the pit for their set. so worth it. they KILLED. and looked so flabbergasted that the entire gorge was screaming when they came out. also when a chick in front of me threw her bra at them and it got caught in jemaine's guitar and he threw it at bret.

when their set was over it was the saddest moment of the weekend.

anyway to make this relevant to your post SEE THEM LIVE they are fantastic. a lot of people complain about their show and say shit like "Waahh all they do is play their songs" but dude. they are like, a band. that's the point, rite?
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Going to see Mastodon and BTBAM at The National in Richmond April 18th.

At first I saw this sentence as you were going to see Mastodon and BTBAM and the National at the same show and I was really confused

KurtMcAllister

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Himmelschreibende Herzen

Super pumped to see YACHT on the 26th

Really looking forward to this too. I'm not sure about Bobby Birdman and Small Black but Washed Out and Pictureplane are awesome, so it should be a great show.

Catacombs

Trying to persuade my brother and/or one of my friends to go see Ted Leo next month.  He's pretty good live right?
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Cernunnos

• What

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

Might go to Sasquatch this year.

Caspian is playing on the 31st.  yippie

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

Might be able to get in the guest list for a Boredoms show in tokyo at the end of may.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Abe Vigoda show tooommmmmorrooooow

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.

Just curious, those of you who have been seeing Joanna Newsom: what's the merch like on the tour? Seeing her tomorrow in Durham and I'm trying to plan out how much cash to bring for stuff.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

scarred

• Older than Moses

You could probably go to a Joanna Newsom show with suit made out of dollar bills and emerge intact.

Sweeping generalizations aside, I've not been to her shows, but $75 - $100 or so usually covers most of what's desirable from what bands offer, unless you want all her T-shirts

sean

• welp

whoa

i usually never blow more than 40 bucks at a merch table and that is a heavy haul for me. i think the only time i ever broke that was when i saw mono in nyc last may.

scarred

• Older than Moses

well, I said what's desirable, not what's fiscally responsible. I generally never exceed 20 bucks or so, and that usually ends up translating to just a t-shirt unless it's a band I really, really like.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

Just curious, those of you who have been seeing Joanna Newsom: what's the merch like on the tour? Seeing her tomorrow in Durham and I'm trying to plan out how much cash to bring for stuff.

They were sold out of the new LP when I saw her, and all the shirts - though well designed - didn't appeal to me. I imagine they've got new supplies of the LP though.

kwami42

• Obscure cultural reference
    • last.fm

Laura Marling is coming to my school in May, anyone know how good she is live?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

BTBAM fucking slay. Hecka jealousy to those of you dudes seeing them with Mastodon, as opposed to "generic local deathcore band #765" that got the support at the Perth show
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Abe Vigoda show was disappointing but only because of Circumstances™

They were opening for Vampy Weekend who I didn't want to see but the friend I was goin with did.  My window busted on the way there so that I couldn't close it, so then we had to go get his car so none of my stuff would get stolen.  I ended up only hearing half of Bear Face and then no more Abe Vigoda.  Vampy Weekend proceeded to suck.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Pyramiddd/Starfucker playing at Neumo's in May. Stoked to finally see them in a real venue.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

yo scarred, are you going to Tobacco on Tuesday? He's playing in Seattle somewhere, I think I'm gonna go.

Also, Hillstomp and The Devil Makes Three are playing in Bellingham on Monday and I"m hyped; I always miss Hillstomp when they come.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

scarred

• Older than Moses

I'm leaving for New Orleans Monday morning, so probably not. Didn't even know he was playing, kind of bummed now especially since I missed him and Black Moth somehow at Sasquatch last year.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 58   Go Up