THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAAAAAAAAAAA-OOOOO! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-OOOOO!  (Read 12739 times)

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
WHAAAAAAAAAAA-OOOOO! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-OOOOO!
« on: 11 Jun 2008, 21:03 »

THE HANDS OF THE GENIUS ARE SOOOOOOOO COLD!
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WHAAAAAAAAAAA-OOOOO! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-OOOOO!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2008, 00:45 »

YOUR HANDS WOULD BE TOOOOOOO
IF YOU CAUGHT SOME KICKER BY THE NECK AND TOLD HIM
HE'D BETTER STAY AWAKE BECAUSE THE SPIES ARE COMING

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2008, 11:36 »

Errm.
What? :?
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2008, 14:36 »

I had a bunch of people over at my house yesterday and I put Bonsai Superstar on. I don't know if this was the best party decision ever or worst party decision ever, and i am pretty much wagering on both.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2008, 07:29 »

I love Brainiac because their song titles and sounds sound like what is constantly going on in my head, particularly in my more neurotic frenzies.  It's so perfectly nonsensical and dorky, yet cool and interesting.  That wonderful squealing noise on the chorus of "Sexual Frustration" does it for me every time.  And "Pussyfootin'" has to be one of their absolute best songs, hands down.  Every part of it is so perfectly Brainiac, right down to the almost conventional guitar jam at the end.  Also, nobody mentioned "Kiss Me U Jacked Up Jerk," but I'm going to because I fucking love that song and can't resist pounding the steering wheel with my hand any time I hear "sixteen seconds agooooooo" in the car.

Brainiac can have stupid lyrics if they want, because their sound is so perfect for it.  Not to mention that a lot of the seemingly nonsensical lyrics are quite clever, such as the one I started this topic with. 

Also, thank you Kai for posting Bonsai Superstar on our piracy thread, thus forever changing my life.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2008, 07:32 by Ernest »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2008, 20:39 »

i have never listened to Brainiac but Tommy's post has me thinking that this might be a problem that needs my immediate attention.

basically, what i am saying is that i really like reading things that Tommy writes and also i'm going to check out this Brainiac band.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

voidSkipper

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2008, 03:30 »

<stuff>

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2008, 08:08 »

I was really hoping this was going to be a Teenage Bottlerocket thread.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2008, 09:10 »

we come from the land of the ice and snow!

oh, nevermind

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2008, 09:41 »

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that, amok.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2008, 12:52 »

Electro-Shock for President has basically ruled my brain for the past couple of days.  I've been listening to it practically non-stop, and it makes me really angry that fate didn't allow Brainiac to make another album, as Electro-Shock was supposed to be a teaser for their next full-length

here is some shit I wrote about it when I was baked last night:

as far as the purely new-style Brainiac song is shaping up, we get "Fresh New Eyes," which comes together exactly as it should in that regard, complete with more explicitly vulgar images in the lyrics than we have been used to with Brainiac (usually they just don't make sense)

and at the end, their other strong effort on this teaser-EP, "Mr. Fingers," chronicles the exploits of a voyeur-by-chance who is afraid of his own fingers, as he has made them God in his mind. the fingers are what "tell [him] not to do." they are his moral guide, and they tell him to use his eyes instead, and so he gets caught spying on a girl and her brother calls the cops on him and gets him arrested. this song is more typically Brainiac -sounding than "Fresh New Eyes," as it incorporates consistent actual drumming and bass playing, though synths and other noises are still forefront
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

and this stuff is from just now, when I was not baked:

and now I've come to realize what a sterling effort "Flash Ram" is.  it's quite robotic, which turned me off at first, but that roboticity (?) gives way to more of a traditional Brainiac pop style in the chorus, while during the verse giving us all sorts of interesting beeps and boops.  the whole song maintains that wonderful obnoxious, poppy-noisy, almost cutesy quality that is prevalent in all of Brainiac's work, and yet the sound is quite a bit different than normal

I think this EP works so well because it takes away almost all of the emphasis on guitars that was in their previous work and replaces it with spacey, repetitive electronic sounds.  and since Brainiac's material evokes crazy neurosis anyway, these sounds work fantastically

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2008, 13:00 »

I'm not sure if the guy in "Mr. Fingers" is really a "voyeur-by-chance," but I like how that sounds, and when I wrote it I was high

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2008, 16:41 »

But those songs slayed live. Especially Flash Ram, which I maintain is a fantastic song. The electro-shock material held up better on bootlegs than a lot of the Bonsai Superstar material! But I guess by that point, they had sorta forgotten all the old songs and were relying mostly on luck to pull them off live.

skydivingninja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2008, 20:37 »

I thought this was going to be a homage to Jame LaBrie's F# in "Learning to Live."  I was proven to be very, very wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up