THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 05:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Comic Updater do you recommend?  (Read 4363 times)

Illumilatte

What Comic Updater do you recommend?
« on: 14 Jun 2008, 11:36 »

I'm trying to get my comic up and redesign the site for it. I've never used a comic updater, which makes it really annoying to go through archives. I was wondering if anyone knows of a really good one(that happens to be free).

Illumilatte

Re: What Comic Updater do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2008, 14:06 »

I've just downloaded and installed WordPress and now I'm trying to figure out comic press. Both impressive feats since I've never messed with SQL or PHP before :-P

Does anyone use these? They seem to be fairly decent so far.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2008, 08:26 »

I've played around with Xcomic a bit. So far it's one of the least sucky comic systems I've stumbled across. (That is, it actually worked.) The only problem is it's somewhat limited out of the box, but if you know how to do basic web authoring in a text editor it's really easy to tweak it to your liking. (You could use GUI tools to rough the page out, but you'll need something like Notepad to insert the PHP code.) All the actual code is in a separate page, so you just have to move short, one-line calls around.

http://xcomic.mikexstudios.com/HomePage

Illumilatte

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2008, 10:58 »

The reason I am hesitant to go with Xcomic is mostly because from what I've been able to find the project is dead and no one is working on it anymore. Also their boards are horrible...they are all just spam bots about 2 Girls one Horse etc...

I like ComicPress except I can't find any simple tutorials for changing things around the way I want to...and I don't know coding. I know just enough to follow instructions and usually not screw up. :-/

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2008, 17:57 »

No problem :-)

Here's another one worth considering:
http://comiccms.com/

I haven't messed around with it yet, but their forum has a section filled with links to comics running on their system so you can see different ways it can be configured. It feels a lot like Xcomic but has far more features.

If you want to install and test different systems, I suggest you try running XAMPP on your PC. It's a simple package that gives your PC the same features most web hosts do. It will be faster than constantly uploading files (great for experimenting with templates), and you won't have to worry about permissions. It installs and uninstalls like any other program, and if you don't install Apache or MySQL as services it doesn't slow boot times (but you'll have to start them with the included control utility). It's no replacement for an actual hosting service because it's only accessible inside your router, but it's convenient for trying different things.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2008, 18:00 by bicostp »

Illumilatte

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2008, 18:39 »

Well, I downloaded ComicCMS and it was really easy to install, and works fine for a basic site. I am hoping that it's fairly easy to customize without having to learn some kind of scripting language ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up