THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 10:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ridiculously late planning! (Durham 17th-19th)  (Read 2205 times)

schimmy

• The Tickler
Ridiculously late planning! (Durham 17th-19th)
« on: 16 Jun 2008, 11:02 »

Alrighty, folks. I'm going to the open day at Durham Univerity on wednesday. I'm staying at my step-sister's house (who is not in, only her friends, who I don't know) from tuesday (tomorrow) to thursday.
Seeing as how I have nothing to do, and don't know anyone there, I'm sure I'm going to be very bored. So I have two questions!

1) Is there anyone who lives nearby who fancies keeping me company?
2) Failing that, what is there to do in Durham? Keep in mind I am 16.

schimmy

• The Tickler
Re: Ridiculously late planning! (Durham 17th-19th)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2008, 15:12 »

Well as far as picturesque places go, I'm also going to Edinburgh on friday, to the University open day there. I can't decide whether to be excited about seeing two amazing places that I've never been to before, or to be nervous about living with complete strangers for a few days.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2008, 16:18 »

Oh man Edinburgh is a pretty nice city.  The weathers been pretty ace on the west coast for the past few days and it's usually even better over Edinburgh way. If you happen to be planning a visit to the University of Glasgow I can probably come up from where I am staying for the summer (it's about 2 hours by public transport away, I do it all the time it just depends on funds) and show you some of the great bits about studying there.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2008, 09:27 »

Oh man I wish you'd said something a few weeks ago, I need to visit Durham but I figured I'd just have a wander round when I'm there in the summer. I could have come too! It's a bit late now since it's today... Ah well. I hope you get chance to read this while you're there.

Durham and Edinburgh tie for my favourite cities in the world, so you'll have an awesome time. What are you looking to study?

So, in Durham: Go to the cathedral. Go to it. I don't care if you don't like cathedrals. Go. It is lovely. Also I believe you can do wax rubbings there, but I don't know if that's still the case.

There is a very pretty river but I think that isn't really an activity, more of an observation to make. Make your way to Millenium Square and the market, I think there's an art gallery there but I might be making it up. The Gala Theatre has a cinema and also a theatre (obviously) and it's nice but not cheap. If you'd been there yesterday there was a Pay What You Like play on, but you missed it.

Have a good time! I'm really quite jealous, I've been sorting uni open days today and I wish I could make it to the Durham one but it's too far and not really sensible when I'm in the city anyway in the summer.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: [1]   Go Up