THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 06:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: College!  (Read 21638 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
College!
« on: 18 Jun 2008, 17:48 »

So, in the fall, I will be entering a major university for EDUCATION.

I have nearly two and a half months with which to prepare.I am asking the relative wisdom of QC: What I should know or do before I head out into the somewhat-adult world? Anything in particular that was a major misstep for you? Any hilarious early college stories?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: College!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2008, 18:08 »

We had a similar thread last summer: Dorm Life

My suggestion: Don't be a hermit. Get out of your room once in awhile! Otherwise you will make no friends, have no life, trip on a video game cable or something, break your neck, and no one will know until you start to stink up the hall.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2008, 18:08 »

I fuckin' love that movie.

I would say "get a job and save save save," but I am assuming you have already done that as that is a logical step.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2008, 20:13 »

Is it bad that I am usually urged to say Robot House instead of like, Delta house or whatever the principal says in that movie?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2008, 20:28 »

No, you're pretty justified there since Animal House isn't nearly as good as it's made out to be. Not giving due respect to Lambda Lambda Lambda would be a whole different matter though.

When going to university, make sure you know how to cook, wash clothes, clean and pay bills. I am always horrified by the vast number of people who turn up every year unable to do these simple things.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2008, 20:41 »

Ugh. I am 20 now. I need to get in school. Not trying to over take this thread or anything, but has anyone gone to any art schools? I have a couple I'm looking at, but I was curious if anyone could recommend some others./Joe Hocking what school did you go to? And would it be a terrible idea for me to major in either printmaking or graphic design?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2008, 20:42 »

Be discerning about your friends!

The opportunity to make new friends is really important and you shouldn't fuck up like most of us did in school! Get to know a large variety of people, before figuring out who you actually like to hang around! It doesn't always mean people who have the same interests as you, but it does mean people who you won't find annoying or mean later on!

It sounds simple and probably a bit boring, but I think this is actually pretty important. There are a lot of new people to get to know and hang out with, but only a handful you will hang out with for a long time into the future! Forging strong relationships is important for when people are in different classes and it's harder to hold on to friendships!
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2008, 22:49 »

Learn to make a grilled cheese sammich with an iron, not really necessary but a pretty cool trick
Learn to tie a tie
Buy a three button dark suit and red tie, you never know when you'll need a suit and a red tie is perfect for every situation
Don't worry if you don't know what you want to major in, you're still young
I'm in the same situation as you, except the university I'm going to is in my city and I've already dropped out of another college.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2008, 23:07 »

Learn how to cook at least two dishes. Learn how to make at least one cocktail. If you're sharing a house, read He Died With a Felafel in His Hand and take heed.

@Emaline- My lady friend studied printmaking at an art school. She liked it; it's one of the more practical art disciplines, while still giving a pretty wide range of technical options in artworks. However, from an employment point of view, she's still wishing that she studied more computer-based graphic design subjects, and is actually going back to school to do so.

Basically, I guess I'm trying to say that if you want a better chance of a job afterwards, you'd be better off getting a fair bit of graphic design subjects in, rather than printmaking (although the two can overlap a fair bit).
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2008, 23:24 »

Ugh. I am 20 now. I need to get in school. Not trying to over take this thread or anything, but has anyone gone to any art schools? I have a couple I'm looking at, but I was curious if anyone could recommend some others./Joe Hocking what school did you go to? And would it be a terrible idea for me to major in either printmaking or graphic design?

I went to the Rhode Island School of Design. It's one of the top art schools in the country, but then there are a lot of really good art schools all over the place, so it depends a lot on where you want to be. Like, here in Chicago one of the places I teach at is School of the Art Institute of Chicago. In Boston choices like Massart abound. If you want to live in New York, there are schools like Parsons or Cooper Union (from the website of the latter: "The College... awards full scholarships to all enrolled students.")

The schools in California that jump to mind are mostly known for film and animation (eg. Calarts) but that mostly reflects me having less familiarity with schools in that area. Meanwhile, I'm only talking about specialized art schools here; there are lots of great programs at universities too, so don't only look at art schools.

Meanwhile, whether those majors would be a good idea for you is a much more complicated question than simply a list of schools. I hope you have a good guidance counselor!

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2008, 23:33 »

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Animal-House---John-Belushi-College--C10112414.jpeg

I own one, you should too.
Please no. Do not be yet another person with one of these posters.

Also: Advice may differ depending on what kind of school and if you are living in dorms.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2008, 00:57 »

Owning that sweater would be pretty cool, though.

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2008, 01:13 »

Don't buy that Klimt poster either. Or the one of the two chicks kissing.

Also, don't be shy. It's fucking college! Get laid!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2008, 02:07 »

I own one, you should too.
Please no. Do not be yet another person with one of these posters.

Seconded. The Animal House poster thing is incredibly played out and lame.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2008, 03:28 »

Learn to clean the bathroom more than once in two years. I have just done this and my eyes sting from bleach fumes and my back hurts.

Fuck cooking two things, learn to cook stuff that is easy, nice and not terrible for you and learn as many new things as possible, cooking is awesome fun.

Also to add to Fatty's advice, learn to accept that some people will be your friends simply because you are there. When you stop having classes with them don't be surprised if they fall out of your life completely. You don't need to be friends with everyone you ever meet.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2008, 06:18 »

Buy a communal toothbrush for cleaning the grout between the tiles in the bathroom. You can get away with doing it once a week.
Rice, potatos, frozen vegetables and condiments can go a LONG way. Remember this.
In your first week, don't try too hard to get noticed. Nobody likes an attention grabber. Conversely, for your first week or two, dress nicely, but casually. First impressions are lasting ones. At the very least, you want your first impression on people to be that you know how to dress yourself. Try getting a nice haircut a week or two in advance.
Classes are VERY important, as is striking up a familiarity with your tutors. You're better off if your teachers like you. If they don't know who you are, it could bite you on the ass one day. Show up after class one day with an intelligent question and maybe an interesting hat or piece of jewellery. If they ask about it, even better, because then you can tell them an interesting story about how you acquired it and they're sure to remember the student who inherited a fedora from an illegal immigrant who was shot crossing the border. This technique also works well for job interviews. It'll make you stand  out from the crowd, which is something you desire when it comes to authority figures.

Finally, the best and most important advice...
Budget. Sounds obvious, but so few people do it. Write a plan, plot allowances, stick to them. Time is money, so having a time table on a noticeboard might be a good idea. College is where you learn to stop procrastinating. When something shows up, get it out of the way as fast as possible. Put it on your time table at the earliest date you can. Get it out of the way. Time is the only thing you have, and you need to start acting like free time it the most important thing in the world. Work on having as much free time as you can in case anything else ever shows up.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2008, 06:49 »

Do not overextend yourself.

Figure out your means and what you are able to do without overloading your brain, body and emotions.

My first semester at college, I worked a thirty-five hour job that was forty minutes away while dating a girl who lived over and hour away. This led to a really swift collapse in my overall social life and my ability to function properly in ANY of the multiple things I was trying to do at once (Which snowballed into me having to drop out after about a year). I wasn't a partier, I can't imagine how fucked up I'd have been if I was on top of everything else. Don't do that, Adam.

Budgeting is important as mentioned. Get used to living cheap, because you're a lot better off having very little to your name than overexerting yourself by working too much. It's not just money you need to budget, but time. Obviously, classes should come first in everything. If you've got a job that starts interfering with it, quit. If you run with a crowd who start interfering with it, ditch them. The only thing you'll be doing in college that will likely stick with you past graduation is getting that degree. Everything else is expendable and you can get new ones after you're done.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2008, 06:54 »

Chug it
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:10 »

party with your professors

I know you were being ironic, Sam, but this one actually isn't a bad idea.

Oh wait yes it is.

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:11 »

I suspect the best £20 I have ever spent was membership to my university's fencing club. Do something exciting and new, this is probably your best chance to do it. Plus, joining a club or society or something will give you a chance to meet other new folks in the same boat as you. I kept myself way busy with clubs (I did sports ones, but there will be loads of others I imagine) all for my first couple of weeks which a) made me friends outside my dorms b) was fun and c) stopped me panicking about omgmoneylecturesawayfromhomeomg etc.

Take a doorstop and leave your door open at all times unless you are actually naked or asleep.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:16 »

party with your professors

I know you were being ironic, Sam, but this one actually isn't a bad idea.

Oh wait yes it is.

Well, especially considering that they can lose their tenure because of this.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2008, 12:19 »

at Knox, there are many, many rumors of professors sleeping with students, some rumors more credible than others

I actually have partied with a professor.  it was one of the music teachers, and she is in her mid to late twenties.  it was raining, and she showed up at the Jazz House (one of the campus theme houses with permanent status), looking wet and drunk.  she then conversed with us about how great it was at Knox when she went there (I can't say "here" right now because I'm currently being bored out of my skull at home in Georgia)
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2008, 12:39 »

It depends on the kind of party.

Dinner party as profs house to get a chance to know all her advisees better: good.

Cook out for all of the majors and profs in a given department to calibrate the end of a semester with burgers and softball: good.

Normal college party with one embarrassingly drunk professor: kinda awkward. 

Professor inviting two freshmen girls over to watch movies and cuddle: really bad.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2008, 12:42 by benji »
This signature is intentionally left blank.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2008, 12:49 »

That is a very good point. My initial reaction was "um no" but then I remembered how I've played touch football in the backyards of professors having end-of-year cookouts and that was cool.

heretic

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2008, 12:50 »

Sox made an excellent suggestion to budget; I suck with money and it took me 3-4 years to not be calling my parents asking for 50 bucks here and there when I had blown all I had for the month.
Never drink the vat, especially not the "girls' vat."

Finally, something I wish I'd done: check out a lot of organizations early and get involved with the ones that appeal to you. Right now I'm an editor for Tulane's Literary Society & Review and on the mgmt board for the 1718 Reading Series, but I wish I'd been where I am now two years ago. As it is, I only have 2 and a half semesters to work in these groups and I could have had at least that many years.

(Also, Hi forums! Long time no write stuff on you!)

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2008, 13:43 »

Yeah, it's a good idea to get to know your professors. Show up during office hours and ask questions about the material, that sort of thing. Grades tend to be better when you communicate with your professors. Also, you'll be less inclined to skip class and shirk coursework if you think the prof will be disappointed.

Also, it makes it that much easier to get a good recommendation out of them when you're applying to things.

Plasticity

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2008, 14:09 »

After my philosophy final we went over to the professers house and drank like 6 bottles of wine, ate snacks, and talked about philosophy. Partying with teachers is not a bad thing. And be nice to your roommate, or he wont leave when you want to have sex.

heretic

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2008, 14:24 »

oh yeah, the biggest thing I wish I'd taken seriously my first semester:
GO TO CLASS OR YOU WILL GET BAD GRADES.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2008, 14:48 »

Learn how to cook at least two dishes. Learn how to make at least one cocktail. If you're sharing a house, read He Died With a Felafel in His Hand and take heed.

This is really just good advice anyway, college be damned. How To Be A Man by the same guy is another great book to read for this sort of thing, even if you're a lady.

I don't feel qualified to give advice in this thread because I do my best work with a load on or a raging hangover so I do not know how you'd approach university if you are not the same.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2008, 15:28 »

Don't spread yourself thin by taking too many classes and extra-curricular stuff at the same time.

I tried to be on the swim team, be the executive producer of the Student TV station and carry a part time job all at the same time.  It was too much.

Don't live with other people in a big house unless you REALLY know them.  Just hanging out with them is not a good indicator of what they will be like as house mates.

If your first major doesn't work out don't sweat it.  I started out a Bio Major, changed it to liberal arts, changed it to History and then finally added a communication major and ended up with with a dual Major in History/Broadcast Media.  I still managed to finish it all up in only four years.  (a huge mistake not taking my time though)  So it's not the end of the world.

Don't sign up to be a tour guide for the college.  I tried that once.  It didn't work out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xk_qdUs7EA

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #31 on: 19 Jun 2008, 15:34 »

Probably not the "right" place to say this, but join a frat/final club/eating club/etc if you can at all stomach it. The post-college life is basically modeled after this lifestyle, and it gives you a group of contacts post-college and a bonding group during college.

The get good grades/party/goal-oriented socializing routine really works  well at getting you read for 9-5 life.

Yes, they're filled with douchebags, but douchebags make up the majority of life so you might as well get some advantages from it.

oh, and take as many competitive internships as you can... the point of college is to get a better start to working life than you would have had otherwise.
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

Plasticity

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jun 2008, 17:01 »

Do not join a Fraternity unless you are excited about a culture that glorifies poor treatment of women, and occasionally sexual violence. I am not saying that all members of fraternities do this, but it is part of their party culture, and their power hierarchy.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jun 2008, 17:20 »

Join a social group that has an external reason to exist, optimally a reason that you're deeply interested in.

Make friends with your professors.

If there's anything you want to do but don't want to get in trouble for, do it in college, you'll never have a legal safety net like that again.

Drinking a ton will probably not make college into something great.  Get it out of the way early if you have to.

I joined a frat and it was probably the best decision I made all freshman year, but my frat's a bit different from what you're likely to encounter so that's really not something I'd recommend to anyone who isn't a student at UPenn (or Drexel, or Temple, or UArts ... we don't really care what school you go to.  Or what gender you are.  Or if you're a student at all, in extreme cases.)
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Nodaisho

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jun 2008, 17:55 »

Times have changed a bit, but my grandfather has told me to join a fraternity, he says that some of his best friends to this day (over 60 years) are people in his former fraternity. I would surmise it depends on the people somewhat.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jun 2008, 18:45 »

at Knox, there are many, many rumors of professors sleeping with students

Both a blessing and a curse.

Definitely try to make a lot of friends in a lot of different groups of people.  I had my core group of friends, my improv/theatergeek friends, my literary friends, and my musical friends, so if there was a lot of friction with one singular clique I was a part of, it was okay if I just avoided them for a while.

Unpack and try to keep things tidy, in case your roommate hates messes.  Passive aggression is something you really want to avoid, especially when you're just starting out at school.

And remember, you're a freshman, so it's okay to make a mistake or two.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #36 on: 19 Jun 2008, 18:57 »

Don't spread yourself thin by taking too many classes and extra-curricular stuff at the same time

i wasn't too involved with extra curriculars in high school, so i thought well, here's my chance to reinvent myself and become the sort of person that's a member of a wide variety of clubs, including a sorority. i also tried to find a part-time job on campus.

yeah that was dumb.  i should have focused on my classes.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: 20 Jun 2008, 06:57 »

Don't spread yourself thin by taking too many classes and extra-curricular stuff at the same time

i wasn't too involved with extra curriculars in high school, so i thought well, here's my chance to reinvent myself and become the sort of person that's a member of a wide variety of clubs, including a sorority. i also tried to find a part-time job on campus.

yeah that was dumb.  i should have focused on my classes.

Yeah as important as a part time job can be for extra cash sometimes you just have to give yourself time to do the stuff that really matters.  There are many ways of scoring free food and fun at college and you can always save up by working during summer session.

Focus on your classes and activities you are really interested in.  You have to make tough decisions.  I personally wish I had quit the swim team after my second year.  The new coach started a very competitive a program (6 AM extra workouts on top of normal workouts).  I was a great swimmer but I am not a very natural athlete.  I could have focused more on my interest in the Student TV station and my term papers.  Instead I spread myself too thin and tried to work part time on top of it.

I suppose you just have to ask yourself if what you are doing now is really going to help you out when you get into the real world.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2008, 09:09 by Caleb »

Snarf

« Reply #38 on: 20 Jun 2008, 08:12 »

College is for dumb people.  Snarf knows.  All Snarf's friends pay thousands of dollars for piece of paper.  Snarf generates on on computer.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #39 on: 20 Jun 2008, 08:30 »

Snarf can't make proper sentences. All of Snarf's friends probably can.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

benji

« Reply #40 on: 20 Jun 2008, 08:40 »

In relation to what Caleb said, a friend's father gave him the following advice on entering school:

There are 4 things available in school: grades, friends, a job, and sleep. You can have any 2 of them. I don't think this is entirely true. I managed to have 3 of them, but I never held a job while I was in school. I survived on a budget of about 100 dollars a semester after books and meal plans were paid (I had both scholarships and a lot of help from my folks). I performed well in all of the classes I cared about, I had good friends, and I never pulled an all nighter, though I would occasionally go to bed at 1 AM and then wake up at 5 AM to finish a paper.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Albatron

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #41 on: 20 Jun 2008, 08:51 »

Don't do drugs in the dorms. You'll most likely get caught and dragged out of your room by a cop while everyone in the dorm watches. Drinking in the dorms isn't the best idea either, but easier to keep under wraps. If you have a low alcohol tolerance, beer is your friend, shots can be a quick ticket to pass out town.

Don't piss off your RA, chances are you'll need their help at some point.

Stay for the summer, don't go home to Mom and Dad. Some of my favorite times in college, hell my life, have been in the summer in college. If your parents bitch, get a job or take summer classes, summer classes are usually easier than their regular semester counterparts and can get you out of college early (but why anyone would want to do that I have no idea) or let you take it easier during the regular semester.

If you live in a state that has free college edumacation as long as you keep a certain GPA, do your best to keep that, it'll save you tons.

Learn to cook and dont spend all your money on going out to eat or drink, it can get expensive.

Grades are important, but so is having a life. Have fun, its college, its what its really for. All my friends that have graduated say to enjoy it, so fucking enjoy it. But life after college doesnt have to be the soul crushing life some make it out to be.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #42 on: 20 Jun 2008, 09:03 »

All good advise, except for the Summer thing.  It depends on what classes you want to take in the summer.  Most universities and colleges have an 8 week summer schedule, that means you do a 16 week course in half the time.  Some teachers are good with that, but there are some who still want you to do the same amount of work in that amount of time.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #43 on: 20 Jun 2008, 09:06 »

Well, the logic there is that you aren't (or at least shouldn't be) taking as many classes at the same time and thus can devote more of your time to the class. Otherwise, summer classes wouldn't teach you as much!

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #44 on: 20 Jun 2008, 09:16 »

It really depends on the classes I suppose.

I got really good marks in all my summer classes and felt that they went at a much easier pace.

Then again I was used to taking 15-18 credits every semester (also a mistake).

heretic

« Reply #45 on: 20 Jun 2008, 09:33 »

I really like summer classes, especially if they're ones I want to take anyhow. Meeting more frequently helps you retain information and having fewer credits lets you really focus on doing well in a few things.
Also, on the subject of frats:
      Pledge if you want to, but be prepared to hate life for a while and then pay dues every month to have a pre-determined group of friends. Other organizations often serve the same purpose, but without the hazing and bullshit.
      That said, rush all the frats even if you don't plan on pledging, it's a great way to get a week of cheap or free booze.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #46 on: 20 Jun 2008, 13:19 »

i am currently taking three summer courses, which is something i've been doing since high school to make my life easier during the academic year.
the majority of my experience with summer courses has been positive.
i mean, in grade 11 i took film during the summer which was pretty snazzy and didn't even feel like a class sometimes, since the focus was on actually making movies, not studying film history.  and the people i met there were awesome.

however, in grade 12 i had to take calculus, and i happened to have a teacher that i'm pretty sure has never taught summer school before, because she would assign the exact same amount of work that you'd get in a regular class, and just expected us to finish it faster. we had tests practically every other day.  that was slightly ridiculous. so was the fact that she expected us to do presentations. uhhhhhhhh it's a math course can you use common sense instead of just rigidly sticking to the educational board guidelines? fuck.

but yeah, as long as you don't get one of those types of professors, college/university summer courses aren't too much harder than high school ones, and the pace is decent.
they're not a place to meet new people for me though, since all of my current courses are online-only. and the campus is pretty empty most of the time, so i'm unlikely to strike up conversations with strangers there.

also, wtf, frats get free booze during rush week?? where?

« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2008, 13:48 by 20 jazz funk greats »

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #47 on: 20 Jun 2008, 13:32 »

Try to eat at the school cafeteria as little as humanly possible.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #48 on: 20 Jun 2008, 13:37 »

also, wtf, frats get free booze during rush week?? where?

You're a girl, it's different. In your case, they give free beer year round, but it's not smart to accept any unless you are there with a protective group of friends.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #49 on: 20 Jun 2008, 13:41 »

i am obviously at the wrong school because no one offers me free beer, drugged or not.
maybe it's cause i look too intimidating.

and i disagree with the cafeteria thing. i had some delicious cafeteria pasta earlier.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up