THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: This is a joke. This is a MOTHERFUCKING JOKE.  (Read 72712 times)

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
Re: This is a joke. This is a MOTHERFUCKING JOKE.
« Reply #100 on: 12 Aug 2008, 15:23 »

well, to be fair, the guy writing superhero movie is the guy who wrote Scary movie 3 and 4, and none of the other _______ Movie(s).  To me, it looks a BIT (not much) better than the others, although still much more plain slapstick than anything else.  I'd personally like to see Mel Brooks make a "Superhero Movie" because I think it could be a far better parody of the numerous superhero movies out currently.  I shameless admit I attempted to watch the 300 ripoff, shit, I don't even remember the name of it, but got really annoyed about ten minutes in because none of the "actors" were "acting" and turned it off and deleted the file.

To be fair, and offer a counterpoint to my tastes, I haven't really enjoyed any "modern" american comedy.  Pretty much every "comedy" made in the past 5 or so years has been incredibly tedious for me to even sit through the whole thing.  Notable exceptions being Dodgeball and 40 year old virgin (which, despite being a comedy, I thought was a really good piece of social commentary as well). 
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #101 on: 12 Aug 2008, 15:41 »

Well, I think a lot of the actual funny has moved to television. It's a lot easier to build up character-based humor in a long-running format than a 2 hour movie, so movies are sometimes forced to fall back on dumb gags.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #102 on: 12 Aug 2008, 16:25 »

Consider Achewood. This far into the comic's run, half the Roast Beef jokes are tough to really appreciate if you aren't already aware of his many fears and insecurities. It takes a very deft screenplay and artful direction to achieve the same effect in a shorter format. It's often a make or break issue that seperates the good movies from the forgettable ones.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #103 on: 13 Aug 2008, 01:47 »

I have never intentionally hurt anyone, emotionally or physically.

Sorry.

People who don't cause intentional harm are better than those who do.  If you'd like to debate that, get back to me after you've taken some anthropology classes.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #104 on: 13 Aug 2008, 07:38 »

Dude what.  That's bullshit.  Everybody has intentionally caused harm of some kind at some point, in childhood especially.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #105 on: 13 Aug 2008, 11:52 »

Dude what.  That's bullshit.  Everybody has intentionally caused harm of some kind at some point, in childhood especially.

Well, no, actually, plenty of people have not caused harm while consciously aware they were causing harm.

In childhood, people usually don't know what the consequences of their actions are.

To intentionally cause someone harm is the only sin in the world.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #106 on: 13 Aug 2008, 12:56 »

well no, actually, it is a reflex for people to attack others in certain situations.

And it is normal for children to try to cause harm to one-another, it's a part of development.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #107 on: 13 Aug 2008, 13:07 »

You may not be doing it conciously, but things like the ridiculing comments you made on Ben792x's posts in this thread - even sigquoting him for a while! -  certainly does make you feel like shit when it's directed at you. Surely you realize that this can be hurtful?

But it was not my intention to cause harm.  It was my intention to throw around some good-natured ribbing.  If he takes my comments and cries over them, it's only 50% my fault at best, because interpretation of actions is half the equation.

It's real easy.  I'm talking about doing something that you intend to have a negative effect on someone's life.  Message board banter should not fall into that category, for crying out loud.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #108 on: 13 Aug 2008, 13:18 »

But what has a "negative effect on someone's life" is completely ambiguous, how can you possibly know how something will affect another, and what defines a "negative effect", and on top of that where is the line between acceptable impact and unacceptable? It's all subjective and every interpretation is equally arbitrary.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #109 on: 13 Aug 2008, 18:20 »

But what has a "negative effect on someone's life" is completely ambiguous, how can you possibly know how something will affect another

I am reasonably confident in my belief that stabbing someone in the eye will have a negative effect on their life.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #110 on: 13 Aug 2008, 18:43 »

But then you're saying that anything short of that is reasonable? :roll: The point is that you have to find the line, and that involves making one up. I don't like relying on arbitrary standards, either.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #111 on: 13 Aug 2008, 18:47 »

You know, I did not think it was possible for me to hate this thread more than when it started, but you guys just keep surprising me. Outstanding.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #112 on: 13 Aug 2008, 18:48 »

If you don't decide on a moral compass, how the hell are you gonna get out of the desert, son?

There is a lot of niggling going in here about small, ambiguous harm, like a freaking message board post.  I'm talking about the big things - cheating on your significant other, raping/murdering, shouting racial slurs or things like "faggot!" at random strangers, etc.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #113 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:28 »

Just because you're not curb-stomping an infant doesn't make it okay to pinch it.  Small injuries are still injuries and they're not cool.

You meant it as good-natured ribbing; fine.  But this the internet, where it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between good-natured ribbing and hateful spite.  I'd go into detail about watching what you say online, but that admonition is about 20 years old at this point.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2008, 19:30 by Surgoshan »

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #114 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:36 »

the commercials have started to air on tv regularly. It's making me cry a little. Can I has a "Immune to terrible movies" hat?

Umm....why do you need a hat?  It's called a remote control, just switch that channel as fast as possible....it's not really "immunity" but it's close.

I don't mean immune to the commercials, I mean a hat that make me completely oblivious to the fact that these terrible movies exist.

I'm sure there's a guide on the internet somewhere for hitting your head in the EXACT right place to destroy all memories of said movies.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #115 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:40 »

Just make it small and set it off at Fox headquarters.

Ikrik

« Reply #116 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:45 »

If it means no more Family Guy I'd gladly destroy Fox......man....ANYTHING to destroy Family Guy....

As for killing only stupid people...just bring a machete to the movie theatre and walk into the cinema playing Disaster Movie.....problem solved.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #117 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:47 »

I think adult swim could replace some of those god-awful shows they're running.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #118 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:51 »

me too, but I also really like Two and a Half Men, which is supposedly another bad show.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #119 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:58 »

Titus was awesome. Arrested Development was another one of those shows that shouldn't have been cancelled.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #120 on: 14 Aug 2008, 02:02 »

I thought we were talking about the ideas here, not the actual actions?

OK, then it's real simple.  If you know, for a reasonably certain fact, within your own analysis of the situation, that you will be hurting someone by taking an action, and you do it anyway, you're a bad person.

We can case-by-case this forever but there's no need to; that's all I'm getting at right there ^^^^^.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #121 on: 14 Aug 2008, 02:37 »

I actually think I'm better than other people.

Ikrik

« Reply #122 on: 14 Aug 2008, 03:56 »

I actually think I'm better than other people.

Chances are....that you are better than "other people."  Just remember that everyone thinks they're better than everyone else.  The writers of these movies for instance...think that they're better than other people too.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #123 on: 14 Aug 2008, 12:24 »

Sooooo many assumptions. There's people out there who I believe that are better than I am. My former girlfriend, for example. Where I tend to be cynical, she was realistic. Things that discouraged me she tended to bull right on through on sheer principle. For example, she would have actually have just ignored this thread whereas I'm sitting here grinding my teeth over it. Same thing with my grandfather, who I consider my role model.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2008, 12:29 by Whipstitch »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #124 on: 14 Aug 2008, 12:28 »

You know, I'm going to have to go on record and say Scary Movie 1 and Not Another Teen Movie were both good members of the series. As in funny. As in, didn't rely on current pop culture humor or celebrities and just kind of looked at the genre as said "man, this is cliche, let's exploit it". Especially Not Another Teen Movie, which is one of the most underrated parodies ever goddammit.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #125 on: 14 Aug 2008, 12:50 »

I found out that they guy who plays the dude with the concussion counter lost around 300 pounds.  He looks completely different.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Patatat

« Reply #126 on: 14 Aug 2008, 15:06 »

HOLY SHIT!

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #127 on: 24 Aug 2008, 09:20 »

And here's another car crash masquerading as "satire"
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #128 on: 24 Aug 2008, 09:39 »

Why, oh why do they think that a group of famous and fine actors would save a movie with the frickin´ trailer being worse than the movies I´ve seen this year (don´t answer, I already know: famous people attract viewers. But still...).

SimpsonsParadox

« Reply #129 on: 24 Aug 2008, 10:19 »

I'll admit it. I chuckled slightly at the trailer. Not enough to want to go see the movie, but enough to make me shake my head and wonder at Bill O'Riley.

As for parody movies, I think you hit it on the head Roxie. Looking back at 'great' parody movies (Spaceballs, Men In Tights, etc) and more contemporary movies (Dodgeball, Scary Movie 1, etc), the one thread they all have in common is that they assumed you were savvy enough/smart enough/aware enough to get at least the majority of jokes, and didn't make the small ones that needed to be explained a major part of the movie (For example, the Dues Ex Machinima on the winnings at the end of Dodgeball.) However, these 'bad' parodies (The recent Scary Movies, Meet the Spartans, etc) is that they bludgeon you to death with the comedy. They assume you'll never get anything deeper than a Brit or Sanjaya joke, and the one or two deep jokes they put in the movies they over explain to the point that it's not funny. They're not subtle at all.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #130 on: 24 Aug 2008, 13:33 »

Confession: I've never, EVER enjoyed Space Balls, not even for a second. And I really like Mel Brooks. It's the most inexplicable thing ever.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #131 on: 24 Aug 2008, 13:41 »

Not even the Druish jokes?

NOT EVEN PIZZA THE HUTT?

Also, Disaster Movie invaded IMDB for a few days. It was perfect while it lasted. My heart sank a little bit when I thought Michael Ironside was in it, but he isn't, thank God.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #132 on: 24 Aug 2008, 13:50 »

Especially Pizza the Hutt. Tremendously painful, and kind of makes me wonder how SimpsonsParadox pulled out subtle and "Spaceballs" in the same post. I guess I'm just more of a Young Frankenstein kind of guy.

Edited for idiocy.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2008, 14:44 by Whipstitch »

SimpsonsParadox

« Reply #133 on: 24 Aug 2008, 14:27 »

I didn't mean for it to come across as saying that Spaceballs was subtle, and I apologize if it came out that way, but you have to admit: Not once did Lord Helmet fart into his suit, or make a joke about Tom Cruise getting married, or anything of the like. It may of been subtle like a slap to the face, but at least it wasn't screaming "LOOK AT ME! I'M FUNNY! HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'M FUNNY! DON'T BELIEVE ME? HERE! PIT OF DEATH! ARE YOU LAUGHING YET? WHY AREN'T YOU LAUGHING YET?"

-edit- Ozy, he may of (I'm not sure if he did or not), but fart/penis jokes weren't the entire substance of his movie(s).
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2008, 14:52 by SimpsonsParadox »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #134 on: 24 Aug 2008, 14:28 »

Note: Mel Brooks invented the fart joke.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #135 on: 24 Aug 2008, 15:06 »

Young Frankenstein is probably in my top 10 favorite movies list, but that doesn't change the fact that Mel Brooks is as guilty as anyone when it comes to taking the everything but the kitchen sink approach to comedy. The same could be said of Airplane!; just because the movies are considered gold standards in the parody genre doesn't change the fact that they succeeded thanks to sheer panache and a relentless drive to try anything for a laugh. It's the assembly line nature of these modern parody movies that hurts them; they're sometimes shat out half-baked and boring, but that doesn't really mean that the more successful members of the genre are much classier or more discerning by design. It's really just a matter of execution.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #136 on: 24 Aug 2008, 15:56 »

I just watched Young Frankenstein for the first time a couple months ago. I was in staggering disbelief at the content of the humor in that movie, and was literally tripping out, until my mom told me that no, it was not made in the 40's (back when they made black and white movies in that type of quality *talking film, not substance*) but in the 70's. Everything made a lot more sense, but it was still more hilarious when I thought it was from the 40's.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #137 on: 24 Aug 2008, 21:53 »

I have to say that I don't get the big deal about Spaceballs either.  I absolutely love Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and several of his others, and I don't DISlike Spaceballs, but it was really only particularly funny when I was like 12.  I get bored watching it now.

Speaking of parodies, hey, remember Zorro, the Gay Blade?  Man, that was fucking hilarious.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #138 on: 25 Aug 2008, 09:51 »

Never seen Zorro the Gay Blade; I've heard plenty of good and bad things about it though. I'll have to give it a rent one of these days.

Leinad: you're likely not alone in your initial moment of confusion. There was a lot of love and care put into nailing the look of '30s era horror classic-- a lot of the props used are actually from the James Whale's Frankenstein movies of the 1930s (the ones with Boris Karloff) and they cheerfully ripped off the cliched fadeouts and scene transitions at every opportunity. The effect is pretty remarkable, particularly the long shots of castle and countryside.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #139 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:10 »

It's the assembly line nature of these modern parody movies that hurts them; they're sometimes shat out half-baked and boring, but that doesn't really mean that the more successful members of the genre are much classier or more discerning by design. It's really just a matter of execution.

I've always felt that the parodies were used as an excuse to make pop-culture jokes, and that the parody didn't matter at all in the film.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2008, 12:31 by Dimmukane »
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #140 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:51 »

As for parody movies, I think you hit it on the head Roxie. Looking back at 'great' parody movies (Spaceballs, Men In Tights, etc) and more contemporary movies (Dodgeball, Scary Movie 1, etc), the one thread they all have in common is that they assumed you were savvy enough/smart enough/aware enough to get at least the majority of jokes, and didn't make the small ones that needed to be explained a major part of the movie (For example, the Dues Ex Machinima on the winnings at the end of Dodgeball.) However, these 'bad' parodies (The recent Scary Movies, Meet the Spartans, etc) is that they bludgeon you to death with the comedy. They assume you'll never get anything deeper than a Brit or Sanjaya joke, and the one or two deep jokes they put in the movies they over explain to the point that it's not funny. They're not subtle at all.

Another element is that if you stripped them of the jokes they would be perfect (if somewhat dull) examples of the kind of movie they were parodying. These new scatter shots don't really have a plot, so you take away the jokes and there's nothing left. Part of what makes parody funny is that it very carefully and very perfectly uses all of the tricks and customs of the movie(s) it parodies.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #141 on: 25 Aug 2008, 15:48 »

:-D - ZING!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #142 on: 25 Aug 2008, 18:13 »

Hey roxie you should get in contact with the makers of Disaster Movie, you could totally write for these things.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #143 on: 26 Aug 2008, 09:48 »

Sigh,hate to be the barer of yet more bad news, but as if Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans wasn't enough, now National Lampoon are doing a  Gladiator/300 parody called -National Lampoon’s The Legend Of Awesomest Maximus.

Seriously how many of these things does the world need?
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

mat_mantra

« Reply #144 on: 26 Aug 2008, 11:24 »

Take one from Inlanders avatar and go watch "Top Secret".  It will cure you of what ails you.  Or just remind you of how much "Parody" has gone downhill in the ensuing years

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #145 on: 26 Aug 2008, 14:46 »

National Lampoon is nowhere near as bad as anything these "_____ Movie" folks.  Van Wilder was kinda good.  It wasn't doubleplusgood or anything, but it was vaguely decent which is more than most people can say for "Meet the Spartans"

Lead Head

« Reply #146 on: 26 Aug 2008, 14:57 »

I'm not even sure why they even bothered making a trailer.
Maddox already made one that describes this movie perfectly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHWJ9jPYw8

Most new comedies lately seem to be worthless. The last truly funny movie I remember watching was Blazing Saddles.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #147 on: 26 Aug 2008, 15:22 »

And here's another car crash masquerading as "satire"

I will pay money to see that one. Why?  C'Mon, Grammar, Trace Adkins, James Woods, Bavi!  BAVI!, and Hopper.  Also, I've been unable to stand Michael Moore, aside from Canadian Bacon, and its about time someone took a comedic jab at the fat bastard.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #148 on: 26 Aug 2008, 18:38 »

Team America attacked the fat one. Difference is that it could make some one outside of that political side laugh.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #149 on: 26 Aug 2008, 21:37 »

may of been........ he may of 

SON OF A BITCH!
"Have"! The word is "Have" OF makes not one bit of sense. God fucking damnit!
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up