THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 11:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WALL-E  (Read 36272 times)

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
WALL-E
« on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:19 »

Saw it tonight at midnight. I love Pixar so much.
it's time to stop posting

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: WALL-E
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:25 »

I hate this movie 'cause of its title, my 9yo brother and his retarded friend decided they'd say this repeatedly in the dumbest voice they could think of.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:30 »

That's pretty annoying but it is seriously an incredible film. You should disregard that and go see it! I cried five times.

One of my favorite things about the film was the amazing attention paid to details and subtleties. And the idea of a film with minimal dialogue was what made me so excited for it in the first place, like last year, 'cause it's such an ambitious concept and Pixar executed it remarkably well.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2008, 20:13 by squawk »
it's time to stop posting

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2008, 06:12 »

Seeing it Sunday.  If any of you fuckers ruin it for me....well....something will happen.  I haven't decided on that part yet.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Plasticity

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2008, 09:35 »

Pixar is just very good at making movies. Is it true there's minimal dialogue throughout?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2008, 09:39 »

None for the first 40 minutes, so I've heard, and not much the rest of the movie.  There's a little bit when the humans show up, and I think the newer robots use some voice-over stuff, but by and large there isn't much dialogue.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2008, 10:23 »

I think I'm going to wait and see if it comes into the Drive-In next weekend. Or, unless I can talk my Aunt or sister into going with me. It's been awhile since I've been to the movies....Hmmmmmmmmm....

sean

• welp
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2008, 11:38 »

I've heard this movie is excellent. Hopefully I'll take my little sister to it sometime this weekend.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2008, 13:47 »

I've heard nothing but spectacular things about this movie and I honestly couldn't be more excited to see it. Ratatouille was one of my favorite movies of this year and WALL-E, from what I've heard, is better. Going with my girlfriend to see it tonight.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2008, 14:50 »

Me and my Dad are gonna try and catch it tonight, since he loves Pixar movies and its only us in the house. I've been anticipating this movie more or less from the get go though.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2008, 18:29 »

Wall-E Wall-E Wall-E Wall-E Wall-E!

Awesome movie.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2008, 19:47 »

Oh god guys, so good. SO GOOD. I'm not gonna say anything about the movie, other than its a pure piece of genius, pixar can do no wrong, go freakin see it. Man, there have been so many good movies so far this summer, pretty much everything I've seen so far have blown my socks off*.

so good

*Indiana Jones I've decided was meh.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2008, 19:49 »

I think I can honestly say the future scares me

damn fine film

Lyrics

• Not quite a lurker
  • We are what we pretend to be
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2008, 20:04 »

An excellent movie.  It was both funny and serious as well as adorable and thought-provoking.
I'd recommend it to almost anyone.
P.S. Shock The World

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2008, 20:44 »

Good God, is anyone else capable of the CGI that Pixar is? This movie was gorgeous. This would sell me an HDTV and Blu-Ray player. I....I'm pretty much in awe of this movie. It was a far, far cry from Pixar's funniest movie, but it was so beautiful and Wall-E and EVE were so incredibly emotive with just the barest minimum of dialogue. The CGI blob humans felt more out of place than the videos of real humans because the robots were just so perfect. Five stars, all the way. On par with The Incredibles, one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. This is what CGI movies are supposed to be.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Junodog

• Not quite a lurker
  • Beregond needs more love.
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2008, 22:04 »

I didn't think it'd be coming out for another few months. Shows how much I pay attention.

I'm mildly excited for it, though (which is saying a lot considering how indifferent I've been this summer). I'm interested to see how the whole minimal dialogue thing is.
Quote from: Xipher from elsewhere
I'ma gonna charge my kitty vengance lazer beam. It's the cutest death ray you'll ever see.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2008, 00:17 »

MAGIC
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2008, 00:22 »

You don't have to talk to express yourself.

Women can learn a lot from this movie.

:ducking and running:

Plasticity

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2008, 13:18 »

Sexism is not funny.

Wall-E was really good. The end credits might have been the best part of the movie, it made me want to see Pixar do a classic 2D animation really badly.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2008, 16:38 »

Saw it last night. It was spectacular!! Surprisingly timely and with a very definite political and social message (rampant consumerism is destroying our society and our world). The absolute best part of the movie was before EVE even showed up. WALL-E trundling around that unbelievably gorgeous city was brilliant and woulda made me happy if it was all there was to the movie. That environment may have been the most impressive piece of animation I've ever seen. The rest of the movie was great too. It felt a tad disjointed at times but it was so endearing, beautifully animated and surprisingly relevant that any minor flaws were all but eliminated. It was hilarious too. From the twinkie like cakes that have lasted, in confirmation of the rumor, hundreds of years after the end of civilization on earth to George Willard insisting humanity "stay the course" to the brilliant, Chaplin-esque slapstick that was omnipresent, a joke rarely fell flat. I'm even considering thinking of this as not really a kids movie. Too much of it must have been over their heads but I guess (and sincerely hope) that the general message was on their level. Long story short, Disney Pixar has done it again. They blew me away with Ratatouille last year (top 5 movies of 07 for sure) and have now made what I'm considering to be my favorite movie of 08. Lets hope they keep it up, although topping this really brilliant film will be very hard indeed.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2008, 17:50 »

Actually, I think that, like The Incredibles before it (although I know that Incredibles wasn't Pixar's last film), ... where was I?

Oh, right.  Like The Incredibles before it, this movie is a perfect family film.  It entertains the very young without boring their parents.  Most things I've noticed are aimed at one or the other.  Try watching Thomas the Tank Engine some time.  My nephew loved it a year ago when he was two.  Perhaps that's unfair.  I remember trying to watch Voltron.  I was 20 and I recalled loving it when I was 6.  It was unwatchable.

Basically, most things intended for the young are insipid, bland, and vile to the old.  The younger the intended audience, the more insipid, bland, and vile the result.  In order to make something that's enjoyable for any audience, you have to make a product that is bland and insipid.  But when you have a little more experience, the result is deeper and more amusing.  And when you have more experience still, you get even more out of it.  Andc. andc.

In short, it's a marvelous masterpiece of entertainment.  Incredibles has the occasional joke about sex and aging that your average 5-13 year old will completely miss.  The environmental stuff and the corporate stuff in Wall-E is only there for the adults/teens.  It's good for them, it adds to the depth of the movie, but the little kids, who will also adore the movie for reasons they don't understand, will completely miss it.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2008, 18:11 »

Good God, is anyone else capable of the CGI that Pixar is? This movie was gorgeous. This would sell me an HDTV and Blu-Ray player. I....I'm pretty much in awe of this movie.

For me that was my one problem with the movie, though it was a fairly small problem. With how good the visuals were, I felt that I was watching some sort of tech demo instead of watching an actual movie.

oh yeah, some Wall E easter eggs (I don't think they are too much of a spoiler, but view at your own risk I guess)
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 19:07 by Blue Kitty »

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2008, 18:38 »

While everybody else is talking about how great the premise was, how touching the story was, and how brilliantly humanised the lead robots were, you bring forward the complaint that the artists made the movie look so good that you weren't able to focus on all the other good parts of the movie? This movie sounds pretty fantastic.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 19:31 by Sox »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2008, 19:05 »

David Blaine's so good he almost makes me believe in magic.

What a fucking asshole.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2008, 21:06 »

While everybody else is talking about how great the premise was, how touching the story was, and how brilliantly humanised the lead robots were, you bring forward the complaint that the artists made the movie look so good that you weren't able to focus on all the other good parts of the movie? This movie sounds pretty fantastic.

In my defense it in no way harms the movie what so ever

One thing that really bugged me though, was the Axiom the only ship that left Earth?  I though they said there were more.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jun 2008, 23:54 »

I got the impression that the Axiom was the command center of the diaspora.

singeivoire

« Reply #26 on: 01 Jul 2008, 06:45 »

LOVED this film. I think Pixar may have been touched by the gods. They can do no wrong.

My favorite thing about the whole movie was how good-natured it was. It managed to bring up environmental concerns without hating on all of humanity in an "OMG-we-are-scum-and-the-world-would-be-better-off-without-us" kind of way. Few films walk the line of Fun and Meaning so carefully and manage to stay sweet in the process.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jul 2008, 07:03 »

So I got outvoted and had to watch Wanted instead.  Might have to watch it today after work.

improbability driver

« Reply #28 on: 01 Jul 2008, 10:14 »

Easily the best movie of the summer/almost cried a few times/Pixar is win -- go with whatever suits you.

I thought Thomas Newman did a great job with the music, especially. With such little dialogue, it was really half the expression in the movie.

But more importantly, did anyone else have those two twelve year old girls who kept squealing over the preview for that friggin' Chihuahua movie sitting right in front of them? I almost clawed my face off, but decided that moving seats would be more prudent. They've followed me to almost every movie I've seen in the past six months in one form or another and I have decided that unless there's some serious Twilight Zone shit going on, I can't be the only one this happens to.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #29 on: 01 Jul 2008, 11:04 »

Oh god, the chihuahua movie.  At least it's not Disaster Movie...

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #30 on: 01 Jul 2008, 11:43 »

For me it isn't laughing girls. It's usually a group of really loud, obnoxious teenagers that think every emotional bit in a film is hilarious.
Then again, the theater I go to is in a town filled with rich children that would like to think their life is similar to that horrible show the OC.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

ptfreak

• Plantmonster
« Reply #31 on: 01 Jul 2008, 11:56 »

Reading this thread just makes me want to see it more, but I made plans to see it with one of my friends and she couldn't afford it, but we're still going to see it, I just have to wait until she gets back from vacation which is on the 12th. Still, I love almost everything Disney (HSM, Hannah Montana, Camp Rock etc. being the exceptions) and from what I've heard this is one of the best things they've put out in a while.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #32 on: 01 Jul 2008, 16:12 »

I was actually very surprised. I went on opening night to a large, packed theater (lots of kids and teenage couples) and the theater was totally silent for literally the entire time. It was really great. It's amazing that a movie with so little dialog for could hold the attention of some many types of people.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 01 Jul 2008, 20:38 »

My viewing wasn't silent; lots of people laughed.   :wink:

Other than that, though, you're right, it was a rapt audience.  Except at the end when
(click to show/hide)
  A lot of young girls said, "Awwwww!".  I laughed at that.

ptfreak

• Plantmonster
« Reply #34 on: 01 Jul 2008, 20:42 »

Reminds me of when I went to see the new Indy movie. I went at midnight so there a whole bunch of fanatics in there. We lost sound 3 times, for about 5 seconds each time (though never during dialogue luckily). In those 5 seconds, the theater was filled with cries of "WHAT THE FUCK I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!"
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 02 Jul 2008, 09:09 »

But more importantly, did anyone else have those two twelve year old girls who kept squealing over the preview for that friggin' Chihuahua movie sitting right in front of them?

Oh my god, yes. They were right behind me and kept yelling "CHIHUAHUA!"
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #36 on: 02 Jul 2008, 20:07 »

I am one of the people who when they saw the trailer for Chihuahua said several loud expletives before I remembered I was in a room full of parents and children.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #37 on: 02 Jul 2008, 20:25 »

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #38 on: 02 Jul 2008, 20:41 »

Brilliant.  This movie needs vigilantism.  I'm talking torches and pitchforks people.  I'm saying we get Salem on this movie.

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jul 2008, 21:41 »

I cannot wait to see this movie tonight and see this trailer. The only time I will probably ever be an ass in the movie theatre.
Why will this business never stop spewing out shit about dogs? I mean, it was enough after Homeward Bound.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Tako

• Not quite a lurker
  • kokorecho
« Reply #40 on: 03 Jul 2008, 00:21 »

Reading this thread just makes me want to see it more, but I made plans to see it with one of my friends and she couldn't afford it, but we're still going to see it, I just have to wait until she gets back from vacation which is on the 12th. Still, I love almost everything Disney (HSM, Hannah Montana, Camp Rock etc. being the exceptions) and from what I've heard this is one of the best things they've put out in a while.

To my knowledge, up until the merger, Pixar has always created the films while Disney presented them. Disney might have more of a hand in stuff now, but Pixar is still the almost entirely responsible for these films, and it shows. The stuff they create is leagues ahead of anything that Disney puts out on it's own.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #41 on: 03 Jul 2008, 00:29 »

To my knowledge, up until the merger, Pixar has always created the films while Disney presented them. Disney might have more of a hand in stuff now, but Pixar is still the almost entirely responsible for these films, and it shows. The stuff they create is leagues ahead of anything that Disney puts out on it's own.

My understanding is that Pixar actually has more pull over Disney films now, not vice versa. Lasseter apparently demanded a lot of changes to "Meet The Robinsons".
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Ludovician

« Reply #42 on: 03 Jul 2008, 01:52 »

I am one of the people who when they saw the trailer for Chihuahua said several loud expletives before I remembered I was in a room full of parents and children.

I might have actually cried a little. The looks of shock and utter disgust I saw on the faces of people around me were priceless.

WALL-E was beautiful.

Tako

• Not quite a lurker
  • kokorecho
« Reply #43 on: 03 Jul 2008, 04:10 »

My understanding is that Pixar actually has more pull over Disney films now, not vice versa. Lasseter apparently demanded a lot of changes to "Meet The Robinsons".

Huh...that's really interesting, actually. I need to look it up.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #44 on: 03 Jul 2008, 08:24 »

Okay, time to explain the Pixar/Disney thing again:

Disney used to basically just be the distributor for Pixar, while Pixar was owned by Steve Jobs and pretty much just Pixar. However, as time went on, Michael Eisner(then CEO of Disney) demanded more and more concessions from Pixar for each contract. This pretty much pissed John Lasseter the hell off and Pixar looked to break away from Disney. However, another group of people, specifically Roy Disney, also saw Eisner as a gigantic douche who was poisoning the Disney brand. Eventually, they managed to oust Eisner and put Robert Iger in charge. With Eisner gone, Pixar returned to negotiations with Disney, leading into a merger, where Pixar became fully owned by Disney and Steve Jobs became the major shareholder of Disney (making him one of the most powerful men in America). As part of the merger, Lasseter became Chief Creative Officer of Disney, meaning that everything entertainment related has to go through him, and a special team of advisors (lead by Jobs) was made to control Disney's new direction, the first order of business apparently being "Cinderella 2? Are you people fucking high?"

The net effect is basically that Pixar now fully controls Pixar's fate, as well as partially controls Disney. Because they know what the fuck they're doing and for the past decade and a half have been the only part of Disney that has.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2008, 08:31 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #45 on: 03 Jul 2008, 08:56 »

Yet Disney is still making the chihuahua movie. 

Also, apparently a lot of suits at Apple are getting sued for some stock related stuff, including Jobs.  Saw it at arstechnica.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #46 on: 03 Jul 2008, 20:38 »

oh god the previews were so bad

but the movie was great.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #47 on: 04 Jul 2008, 11:21 »

Finally saw it.  SO good.  If I weren't congested, I would've cried.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #48 on: 04 Jul 2008, 11:29 »

I saw this last night with a bunch of people my age and a couple of parents, and the general consensus is that is was fantastic. (The Chihuaha preview was horrible, but what about Bolt? Most of us were snorting with laughter through the preview. And the beginning short about the magician and the rabbit! I think it was worth admission price just for that.)

What made me a bit annoyed were the two little girls sitting behind me, who, whenever something poignant or meaningful happened in the movie, would ask loudly "What's happening, Mommy?" I was torn between wanting to strangle them, wondering why Mommy bought two little girls to a movie about robots, and marvelling at the innocence of youth.

Anyway.

One little thing that the nerds in the group loved was WALL-E's startup noise, and the bit about the spork.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #49 on: 05 Jul 2008, 15:33 »

Damn but if they didn't ape Johnny 5 for this movie. At first, I thuoght maybe the eyes, threads and general shapes might have been inspired by Johnny 5, but Wall-E has a laser too! haha.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up