THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WALL-E  (Read 36291 times)

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
Re: WALL-E
« Reply #50 on: 06 Jul 2008, 11:26 »

Damn but if they didn't ape Johnny 5 for this movie. At first, I thuoght maybe the eyes, threads and general shapes might have been inspired by Johnny 5, but Wall-E has a laser too! haha.

The director actually says that, though he didn't intentionally rip off Short Circuit, he had seen the movie and might have been subconsciously (sp) influenced by it.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

himynameisjulien

« Reply #51 on: 07 Jul 2008, 00:16 »

I tend to absolutely hate Pixar movies, but WALL-E is one of the best movies I have seen. It was absolutely the best animated one, no doubt. I've been wanting to see it ever since I first heard about it a year and a half ago, and just saw it earlier today. WALL-E was so well done, it seems as if the robots portray human emotions better than actual people in most movies and soap operas. 10/10, only beaten by Spinal Tap, which obviously goes to 11.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #52 on: 07 Jul 2008, 01:08 »

I tend to absolutely hate Pixar movies

huh
it's time to stop posting

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #53 on: 07 Jul 2008, 02:59 »

i've seen WALL-E twice, once with my nephew and niece and the other time with my mother. this movie is near perfect and if it isn't nominated of an academy award, there is no justice in this world.

and i'm not talking about an award for technical achievement, either: the story was absolutely wonderful. easily the best movie i've seen in a very long time.
-hack-
Duckman: Did I ever tell you my Dad's last words to me?
Cornfed: "Careful, son, I don't think the safety is on."
Duckman: Before that!

Gymmarie

« Reply #54 on: 07 Jul 2008, 10:57 »

OH! Geez!! After I saw Wall-E I went straight for the computer to see if anyone has pirated it. :evil:
http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/wall-e  it's better in Theaters!!!!!

It's one of those films I could watch over and over and over and not get tired of it.

knails

« Reply #55 on: 07 Jul 2008, 15:18 »

I saw it in a field at glastonbury festival, so no trailers for me.

WALL-E is the best thing that pixar has done. also the magician clip before it was great

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #56 on: 07 Jul 2008, 18:05 »

F-F-F-F-FIGHT YOU!
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 07 Jul 2008, 18:23 »

You're dead to me

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #58 on: 07 Jul 2008, 18:57 »

I don't know if I can even take him seriously anymore.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

himynameisjulien

« Reply #59 on: 07 Jul 2008, 19:30 »

A lot of them are really simplistic, and I guess the jokes are kind of played out. They just seem like there's nothing beyond the obvious in the plot, usually. But that's just my opinion, and I haven't seen all Pixar movies. I will say that their animation is universally excellent.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 07 Jul 2008, 20:30 »

I dunno, I was kinda disappointed. Anytime Eve or Wall-E wasn't on screen, the movie started to lose my attention, so the movie's borderline painful for me at times once they hit the Axiom. Plus, as charming as Wall-E is, I got a little bored of him halfway through the movie. I mean, he's cute and all, plus you have to admire the way he wears his heart on his sleeve, but the movie isn't exactly chock full of surprises, so I was kinda happy to see the end credits, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. It's a good flick, but unlike Finding Nemo, Ratatouille or the Incredibles, it's not something I would really want to sit through again. It really comes down to the length of the movie for me; they could have ended it with him trying to decide where to put the spork and I could have left the theater fulfilled.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Vertical Stripes

« Reply #61 on: 07 Jul 2008, 23:22 »

Damn but if they didn't ape Johnny 5 for this movie. At first, I thuoght maybe the eyes, threads and general shapes might have been inspired by Johnny 5, but Wall-E has a laser too! haha.

The director actually says that, though he didn't intentionally rip off Short Circuit, he had seen the movie and might have been subconsciously (sp) influenced by it.

I think, also, that the physical resemblance to Short Circuit and R.O.B. and the pilot robot from the Star Wars ride from Disneyland (etc. etc.) may just be a reference to the fact that elements of that design seem fairly common in culture, so it's probably inevitable that eventually a real robot will look like that.  There was a spaceship named the Enterprise, after all.  I don't think it's so much a "rip off" or a lack of creativity but a nod to practicality.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #62 on: 08 Jul 2008, 10:09 »

I will say, I wasn't as impressed with the animation with Wall-E as I was with Finding Nemo. Maybe because of the subject matter (space, which is easily animated/reproduced), the humans looked the same as from The Incredibles (except fat) and the characters were simpler looking. Of course, Finding Nemo is hard to beat because they're animating water....actual sealife which are already amazing enough by themselves. The color palette was also a lot more muted and rustic looking. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #63 on: 08 Jul 2008, 10:19 »

Maybe, but Finding Nemo didn't have nearly as much depth-of-field or HDR lighting.  I think it looked better.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #64 on: 10 Jul 2008, 16:30 »

Mayhaps none of you are aware of the liberal fascism bombarding your brains throughout this film?

No? Typical.

That's not even getting into the gross errors in economic logic perpetuated by Pixar.

Protect yourselves from Marxian assumptions, My Fellow Americans (and godless for'ners)

All this and more in this wonderful article on the various facets of the "Wall-E Backlash", from the Austrian school of economics to Proud Fatties.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008, 16:33 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jul 2008, 16:42 »

... yeah.  I'm going to go ahead and do what most people did and ignore the backstory because it's pretty much irrelevant to the story except insofar as it gives you a reason for Wall-E to have been alone for 700 years.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #66 on: 10 Jul 2008, 17:47 »

I understand how someone could find Wall-E annoying. I knew going in that it was a parable and still found it a bit heavy handed at times, but I saw it through in the name of cute robots. That said, I can't imagine going so far as to boycott Pixar because they're commies/fascists/hate fatties/eat children. It's a sci-fi movie about a li'l robot who learns of love and friendship from Hello, Dolly! and a roach, for fuck's sake. These people need hobbies.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #67 on: 12 Jul 2008, 10:14 »

lol those articles are hilarious.

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #68 on: 12 Jul 2008, 12:53 »

... yeah.  I'm going to go ahead and do what most people did and ignore the backstory because it's pretty much irrelevant to the story except insofar as it gives you a reason for Wall-E to have been alone for 700 years.

exactly right, except i'm thinking most people took the backstory, looked at it for a second, shrugged, said 'um... okay' and then sat back and watched a little robot chase after the love of his out-of-warranty life.

the backstory is merely a vehicle that gets us to the point where pixar can start telling the story that really matters, and that's the story of wall-e and his pursuit of eve. yes, the setup is hamfisted and over-the-top, but were talking about a love story between two robots fer cryin' out loud.

the final product was absolutely wonderful. 'wall-e' is easily one the best movies i have seen in a very *very* long time and i dare say this film will be held-up as a classic and pixar's crowning achievement.

of course, i also said that after 'finding nemo' and 'the incredibles' too. so what do i know?
-hack-

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #69 on: 12 Jul 2008, 13:29 »

can't they all be?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #70 on: 13 Jul 2008, 09:49 »

can't they all be?

no, there can be only one!
-hack-

itsrabid

« Reply #71 on: 13 Jul 2008, 10:14 »

This was an amazing movie. I thought they could have had LESS dialogue in the beginning..
I like the little details, or "easter eggs" if you've played the game Morrowind.. The spork, Walmart, the musicals, the cockroach.. those are really what made the movie worthwhile.
(The magic show short was ownful)
It was pretty funny  when all the humans were learning how to walk..

Nodaisho

« Reply #72 on: 13 Jul 2008, 16:22 »

I saw it yesterday, I loved the spork bit. It isn't realistic, but hey, it doesn't have to be. I think I kind of ruined the bit near the end for myself, though, wondering "Did she replace the hard drive or something?"
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

williamjamesw

« Reply #73 on: 13 Jul 2008, 18:50 »

I figured either he booted into safe mode, or that Basic directives (like trash compacting) loaded first, and personality-memory just took longer to initialize.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jul 2008, 19:54 »

can't they all be?

no, there can be only one!

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #75 on: 13 Jul 2008, 20:07 »

I figured either he booted into safe mode, or that Basic directives (like trash compacting) loaded first, and personality-memory just took longer to initialize.

Or when Eve "kissed" him, the spark jumped circuits that hadn't yet been initiated or something.

Nodaisho

« Reply #76 on: 13 Jul 2008, 20:44 »

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, that was just the first thought when he didn't remember anything.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #77 on: 14 Jul 2008, 05:28 »

Wall E has been delayed until september for Australian release. Not happy. Not happy at all.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #78 on: 14 Jul 2008, 14:16 »

Saw WALL*E yesterday.  It was as amazing as I'd heard it was, possibly even more so.  Pixar scores again!  Of course, they haven't missed yet, to my knowledge.  The animation is the best in the industry, and the story wasn't half bad.  An interesting semi-twist on a Sci-Fi staple theme.  I've never cried during a movie about robots in love, and I didn't this time either, but damn it was close.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Nodaisho

« Reply #79 on: 14 Jul 2008, 15:27 »

Was I the only person that thought "Wikipedia" when the captain spent most of a day learning the definitions of things?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #80 on: 14 Jul 2008, 16:24 »

No, that thought crossed my mind, as well.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #81 on: 15 Jul 2008, 07:36 »

"define earth"

"earth is homo homo sapiens homeplanet, comprised mostly of water and DICK ISLANDS. LOL YR BASE IS BELONGS TO US"

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #82 on: 16 Jul 2008, 08:49 »

"AUTO, Earth is amazing!"

"O RLY?"

"YA RLY!"
-hack-

chASS

« Reply #83 on: 03 Aug 2008, 21:59 »

such a cute movie.

when i went there was barely anyone in the theater.
so...score?
no annoying kids makes me pretty happy.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #84 on: 03 Aug 2008, 22:07 »

Yeah, there was only 1 other family in the theatre when my Mom and I went and saw it for my birthday. Besides the crying baby, it was all good.
(In the parent's defense, the "baby" was more like two, and wasn't really 'crying' so much just...you know, being a dumb kid...).

And I dunno what you guys are talkin' about...the background story was pretty interesting.
My favorite part (well, one of...) was when the Captain was asking the computer about all of the earth things.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #85 on: 09 Aug 2008, 23:19 »

It's cool that the robots have more personality than the humans.

Also, DAMN THOSE EXTREME LEFTIST PROPAGANDISTS AND THEIR CREATIVITY!!!!!1!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

sean

• welp
« Reply #86 on: 12 Aug 2008, 10:43 »

I actually saw this by myself yesterday.

And yes, it is rad. Do it.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 12 Aug 2008, 17:10 »

Rad is an understatement.  It's beautiful and touching. 

In the parlance of the 80s, it is therefore gnarly.  In the parlance of the early 90s, I believe it would be tubular.

Aeori

« Reply #88 on: 12 Aug 2008, 17:16 »

Wall-E Is one of the most fantastic films I have seen. Not only is the lack of dialogue difficult to accomplish but to do it with robots instead of using human expressions makes it that much more impressive.

rhondalicious

« Reply #89 on: 20 Aug 2008, 06:11 »

<3 the movie - it's the only show my son has ever sat through in the theater (he's almost 4) without getting up. Totally enthralled. It also does help that he shares a name with Wall-E.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #90 on: 20 Aug 2008, 10:50 »

Wall-E Is one of the most fantastic films I have seen. Not only is the lack of dialogue difficult to accomplish but to do it with robots instead of using human expressions makes it that much more impressive.

Absolutely.  I rented the Pixar Short Film Collection from Blockbuster and we watched a bunch of them last night.  It's not just the more recent shorts that they package with their features (Mike's New Car, Jack-Jack Attack, etc.) but all the older, early works as well. Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Luxo Jr.  I saw most of them decades ago, but had forgotten how totally amazing they are. 

The first several are just inanimate objects brought to life, moving around, and not talking.  Yet they express emotion through their movements and "body language".  The Pixar guys were doing this stuff in the early 80's, long before anyone else was making computer-generated films.  As we watched, it occurred to me that WALL-E was a direct descendant of this early work.  The guys at Pixar are brilliant.  Nobody does it better.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Anastrianna

« Reply #91 on: 27 Sep 2008, 09:51 »

So, basically, Wall-E is my new obcession (with Nightmare Before Christams a very very close second) and its sad. My college dorm room has a ton of Wall-E stuff (not as much as my shrine to James Dean, but still, enough) including the game for PS2 and a clothes hamper designed for little kids from the Disney store.

I don't care what anyone says, Pixar makes me want to stay a kid. Forever.

I can't wait until it comes out on DVD, people will hate me...I will prolly have to get 2 copies cause I will watch it until it explodes. (almost did that with Ratatouille).

<3 for Wall-E

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #92 on: 27 Sep 2008, 20:12 »

My favorite Pixar film along with Toy Story and Finding Nemo  8-) :-D, and one of the only recent films I have actually made an effort to go out to see it in the theater - within the last couple of years.

Anastrianna

« Reply #93 on: 28 Sep 2008, 12:14 »

My favorite Pixar film along with Toy Story and Finding Nemo  8-) :-D, and one of the only recent films I have actually made an effort to go out to see it in the theater - within the last couple of years.

It wasn't until this summer that I was reminded Toy Story was a Pixar thing. I felt like an ass....Toy Story is a classic!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #94 on: 01 Oct 2008, 04:18 »

I saw Wall-E twice. In all honesty it is my favourite film, ever, now. No film has ever touched me in the same way as Wall-E did. I didn't cry, but I came closer than I ever have in watching a movie (except for Finding Nemo...)

Seeing Wall-E has also made me go back and revisit all of the other Pixar films. For some reason I had a rather dim view of The Incredibles and Toy Story 2. This has now been corrected.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

geffyb

• Plantmonster
« Reply #95 on: 01 Oct 2008, 09:08 »

I've seen it in theaters multiple times, and it's vying for Pan's Labyrinth as my favorite film of the last ten years. From the opening sequence to the final frame of the credits I was in awe.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up