THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 67452 times)

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #200 on: 22 Aug 2009, 00:27 »

I really hope they do pull out something surprising and new instead of just going the D&D style ranger/druid. Or at least put an interesting spin on it. Hell even just change up the elements they're assiciated with or something.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #201 on: 22 Aug 2009, 02:46 »

I'm very exited about this... I remember when I first saw the wall of zombies, it was totally badass. I guess I would try a female witch doctor :P I really liked the fact that you can make female or male characters from every class.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #202 on: 22 Aug 2009, 02:58 »

I really hope they do pull out something surprising and new instead of just going the D&D style ranger/druid. Or at least put an interesting spin on it. Hell even just change up the elements they're assiciated with or something.

Yeah, it is amazing how much more fun an elemental ranger was in TQ, for example.  An Arcane/Holy Archer build would be a pretty cool twist, and would provide an excellent way of slipping a healer into the game.  Most dedicated healers need to be out of melee range anyway, so why not give them bows?  They could even explain it by saying that after the events of D2 the Amazons took refuge with the leftovers of the Horodrim and became/trained Horodric Archers.  That would be a bit more lore-centric and interesting, I think.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #203 on: 22 Aug 2009, 05:11 »

I don't think we'll end up with any straight healing abilities let alone any classes geared strongly towards that; as far as skills that were known as of last blizcon there don't even seem to be much in the way of group abilities. Maybe I'm expecting more than I should considering it's not an mmo but I figured that multiplayer would be a really big focus of the game. I hope that the last class has barb/paladin/druid style group buffs. I was hoping that every class would be able to fill both primary roles (dps, tank) and also be able to be useful support.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #204 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:49 »

Definitely hoping they add in a ranger type. The Rouge was my favorite D1 character by far (the Wizard was too awful in the early game to make it anything but frustrating and I thought bows were cooler than swords I guess) and I played through D2 a couple times with an Amazon who are actually really awesome if balanced correctly. I just hope all the D3 characters are, in fact, balanced right in terms of skill power and such. I played through D2 with the Assassin and the Druid and both were way too powerful. For the Druid, I just used the same couple elemental attacks from about the mid-game on and all but breezed through, only dying a couple times before facing Baal, whose always a pain in the ass. In any case, I think they certainly will add a ranged character of some type. Don't know what they'll call it but I would imagine it'll be like the Amazon and good with the gamut of ranged weapons and the Druid with animal summoning/possibly shapeshifting since the other characters don't seem to possess those abilities.

A side note, not sure on which side of the argument I would fall but technically the Monk isn't new to the Diablo series, despite how the devs are advertising the Barbarian as the only holdover. I guess some people wouldn't consider Hellfire canon since it wasn't a Blizzard game but it was set in the Diablo universe. That monk was pretty cool and mean with a staff. I think I might be one of the few Hellfire fans in the world, however...
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #205 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:50 »

Strong, interesting multi-player is the reason why I think buff-centric characters need to be destroyed with fire. First off, buffs are boring as shit because it's typically a no-brainer decision when to use one. They often don't even have any true opportunity cost involved because there's nearly always a way to squeeze them out preemptively. Rarely does a buff change things to the extent that other players act appreciably different than they would had they not received the buff, leading to the curious situation in which the most group-centric abilities are curiously non-interactive. At least a sorceress laying down fire support might change who you target; a paladin's aura typically just means that you continue hitting things right in the face, only now you do it harder. Healing is also problematic in Diablo since if tradition holds than each character class must be reasonably self-sufficient through consumables when played well. Assuming that this is still the case, I would expect there to be a lot of over-healing involved with a true healer, since nobody with a brain in their heads really would want to leave their health total solely in someone else's hands when potions are an economical option. Healing would likely be reduced to the role it held in Diablo 1: post-battle patch jobs; convenient, but not something you can really balance a class around. Damage absorption abilities like WoW's Power Word: Shield would probably be more appropriate from a user friendliness standpoint, since the target could monitor the status of the defenses on his own to an extent, but those types of abilities run into all the same gameplay issues that a buff does; unless there's a real opportunity cost in the form of hefty mana consumption, debuff or a channeling requirement, such abilities are often simply too easy to use. I think there's a good reason that most of the "defensive" abilities we've seen so far in the trailers have been either crowd control related like Horrify and Mass Confusion or provide a zone of protection like Slow Time and Impenetrable Defense (provided you can keep the Monk between you and the casters, anyway). Such abilities are more interactive because they either cause opponents to behave differently or require your allies to be on the ball if they wish to benefit from your abilities. They also require some targeting or at least smart positioning to use well. Give me that kind of stuff over a fire-and-forget buff any day.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 07:13 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #206 on: 22 Aug 2009, 18:00 »

If it is a Ranger maybe there will be some kind of heal-over-time spell, or perhaps the Witch-Doctor will go a bit Shaman and drop various totems, some of which will heal?  That would gel better with things like Slow Time, etc.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #207 on: 24 Aug 2009, 07:05 »

The abundance of health orbs that could be in PvM might account for quite a bit of the self-sufficiency issue.

As for buffs, the paladin was probably the biggest offender in PvP unless the builds were spell-casting centric (aimed spells like FotH, although the lack of aiming required in some of the other class skills were borderline lazy. As for Amazon/Rogue replacements, I think the "Ranger" character-type would be the most obvious choice if they want gender selection, although there are probably other ideas for such a role that would work too. Also, this is a game taken off the tabletops and put onto the screen: in terms of innovations I wouldn't be screaming bloody murder too much if the other classes were derived.

EDIT: Alex, line breaks are your friend.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2009, 07:13 by satsugaikaze »

kaseysaidmaybetomorrow

• Not quite a lurker
    • My Last.fm
« Reply #208 on: 04 May 2010, 06:31 »

Pre-order available on Amazon. It's coming, even if it's two years... it's coming.
Uh- nopix plz! Thx!!

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #209 on: 04 May 2010, 08:51 »

Interesting.  Starcraft II release date announced recently, now this.  We still have at least a few years before getting too excited, but these things take time.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up