THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 67393 times)

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
Diablo 3
« on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:55 »

Their site seems to be getting slammed by traffic for some reason, but Blizzard has announced Diablo 3.  Official like.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:58 »

You're shitting me. FUCKING FINALLY!!!
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:08 »

This is some great news! Truly something to look forward to from one of the greatest companies in the computer game industry. But, seriously, when are we going to see a Rock -n Roll Racing 2?
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:16 »

I'm still waiting on a Lost Vikings sequel. 

As for Diablo in general, I'm on the fence.  With 2, I would get to the third act and either cheat or just give up because of the ridiculous amount of terrain you had to cross, which was even worse when you died.  I'm still excited for 3, but I'm not foaming at the mouth like everyone else.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:18 »

It'd be nice if they had somebody other than one of the art directors from the other games working on it.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:22 »

It would be nice if Blizzard actually bothered starting a new franchise for the first time in like, ten years. I guess that's just wishful thinking, though.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2008, 12:01 »

this plus starcraft 2 sealed the deal as far as im gonna need a 24 inch imac with the good graphics card.

...good thigns blizzard delays shit like crazy, ill need it for the moniez.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2008, 12:33 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2008, 13:08 »

this plus starcraft 2 sealed the deal as far as im gonna need a 24 inch imac with the good graphics card.

Insert too-easy insult about you buying a mac for gaming.

I never played Diablo. I was never intrigued when the first or second came out, can't give an arse now. Sorry, internets.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2008, 13:21 »

My eyes literally welled up with tears when I read this.

EDIT - I'm not sure how I feel about this, though, after watching the trailer and the gameplay video.  I kind of feel like it might lose some aspects of Diablos I and II that made it feel realistic, while modernizing others.  The graphics look pretty cool, though not groundbreaking.  I'm not really sure how the story will go, but the trailer showed a lot of locations similar to the last game, namely, a desert city like Lut Gholein and a jungle city like Kurast.  There was one set into a mountain that reminded me a lot of Gondor from Lord of the Rings, though, so I'm a bit iffy on the plot.  Blizzard do some damn fine cinematics, though.

Destroyable environments = win.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 13:37 by imapiratearg »

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2008, 14:04 »

After dealing with the painful website design and the way it's getting a whole lot of traffic enough to give up and watch the gameplay video on youtube I have to say I'm damn excited. It looks like it's still got the same kinda feel to it that two had. As long as they're keeping the random generation of loot, terrain and mobs it should go down well. Kinda makes me want to give d2 another run through.

I'm slightly disappointed in the look of it though. I was kinda hoping for more grit and less giant shoulder armour. And maybe a different shader to that one they've been using since warcraft three.

[edit]I don't think they've really changed much at all. All the features they mentioned bar the health things were pretty much already there. The more interesting mob dynamics thing and destructable terrain was well on it's way by LoD, quick switching between skills was always there (rebinding function keys to somethign nearer your stop and sprint buttons is the first step). By the look of the video they haven't done anything to hurt the pace of the game. I don't think there's much to be worried about.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 14:14 by McTaggart »
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2008, 14:34 »

Trailer tyme!

I hate you. I hate you I hate you.

I'm all kinds of excited for this. Everything I saw in the gameplay video pointed towards good, and I think it'll stay within the spirit of the game well enough.

This tears it, I'm gonna go and buy a copy of Diablo 2 real quick (lost mine a few years ago now). Man, hard to believe that game came out in 1998 though eh? I mean, you can say all you want about Blizzard recycling their IP rather than creating new franchises, but I think its definitely about time for an update to this one. I'm also perfectly okay with them making a Starcraft II, and they've got a lot on their plate between those and WoW, so I'm not gonna complain too much about their lack of originality.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Phil73805

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2008, 15:50 »

The return of the original 'Hack, hack, sparkle'! Yay! Loved Diablo II and this looks promising.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2008, 19:55 »

Insert too-easy insult about you buying a mac for gaming.

I never played Diablo. I was never intrigued when the first or second came out, can't give an arse now. Sorry, internets.

insert too-easy remark about how often you come across a jerk, how youve even noticed it yourself, and how youre continuining to do it :)

Anyhow i said nothing about buying the mac FOR gaming, it's buying a mac that wil also be capable of running these (relatively low system requirement) games.

ackblom12

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2008, 20:43 »

"Fucking finally" is all I can say to this news.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2008, 21:55 »

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

My favorite franchise of all time is finally, finally going to (so it seems) get even better. Of course, this is Blizzard we're talking about so I'm not expecting this for another...year and a half maybe. Because they delay everything.

EDIT:
Just watched the gameplay trailer on the site. Holy shit!! I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Damn it I want this game now!
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 22:14 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2008, 22:50 »

Holy fucking shit awesome.  The Diablo series is one of my all-time favourites.  I watched the gameplay video and was smiling and feeling nostalgic, especially with the music.

This is also pretty cool: "Players will be able to create male and female characters for all five classes."

Hooray!  Maybe now I can play a male caster that isn't shite.

Also, just so we're all clear, the Witch Doctor is the new necro, right? His skills seem very similar.  Enough so that having the necro as one of the first 5 classes (because there will be more in an expansion pack, obviously) would seem like a waste. He seems kind of like a meld of the Necro and the Druid.

I have a feeling that the other three of the first five will be something like: Mage/Sorceress meld, some kind of hunter/assassin with ranged weaps & traps, and probably a cleric/paladin.  I would love to be wrong and for them to bust out some really interesting new classes, though.  Then half the fun will be figuring out how to play them.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 23:08 by est »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2008, 22:59 »

Hooray!  Maybe now I can play a male caster that isn't shite.
D: YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Necromancerrrrrr <3
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

imapiratearg

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:00 »

They added the Necromancer?  Yay!  I hope they bring the Druid back.

Druids pwn.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:09 »

As I said in my edit, I think that they are already both in:  as the Witch Doctor.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:15 »

yeah, Witch Doctor seems like a synthesis, weighted towards the necromancer end of things. Hopefully they don't end up diluting one another. The tribal aesthetic they have for him / her is certainly interesting, I will say.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

imapiratearg

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:17 »

I posted before you edited, I think.  But yeah, that was kind of what I thought, too.

My first reaction was like: "What another?"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:17 »

Oh, and the thing I want the mostest in regards to the storyline would be for none of the demon brothers to be alive and for the players to be facing some kind of widespread low-level threat and a bunch of lesser demons, perhaps some that have been empowered due to taking over certain parts of the old demon lords' domains and have become a lot more powerful than usual.  I mean, we've fucking killed them all already.  I really hope they don't just dust themselves off and come back to fight.

Either that, or maybe some of the cultists we see chanting and raising demons in the gameplay trailer can succeed in raising Diablo right toward the end of the second-last chapter and then the final chapter involves him somehow, but up until that point you just think you're gonna be fighting these cultists and their lesser demonspawn.  I dunno, I guess I just hope it's gonna be something that sets itself apart from the first two.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:22 »

I think they've said that Diablo is definitely back.

They've also alluded to Divine antagonists as well as Infernal ones.

Also PRETTY HUGE SPOILER COMIN OUT DOWN HERE SO LOOK OUT NOW

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
Deckard Cain dies / gets killed fairly early on in the story, or so they say
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:28 »

One more thing:  It looks like Blizzard aren't above taking influence from other games in the genre.  Am I the only one that was reminded of Kratos when the barbarian was displaying his new moves?  The countryside and a few of the monsters also reminded me of Titan Quest are fair deal also, but that could be due to TQ being heavily influenced by the style of D2 and taking it into a 3d engine before D3 did.  The final boss in the second gameplay trailer (big centaur-type dealie) especially reminded me of TQ, and the outdoor areas were very similar in feel also.

Just to clarify, I think these are good things.  I loved Kratos' moves in GoW and thoroughly enjoyed TQ, so to be reminded of those games is not a negative thing in any fashion.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:30 »

re: your spoiler, thank fuck for that.  I expected that to happen late last game, or between then and now to be honest.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2008, 04:25 »

Ah, Diablo! The only role-playing game which I´ve enjoyed even though it didn´t have the chance to be all sneaky and stuff. The sad thing is, as someone here already said, that with all these great games being published, I may have to buy a new computer.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2008, 05:18 »

Blizzard are usually pretty good when it comes to making their games run on last year's tech.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2008, 07:09 »

^
I, unfortunately, would have last last last last years tech.

As for character classes, all i have is speculation

Of the original 5, barb, ama, necro, pally, and sorc

Barb is back

I think amazon won't be (due to both sexes.) i think it'll just be a name switch.  basically a "ranger" or somethiing that plays really similarly. 

Necro is basically replaced as disease=poison, pets=pets.

Pally should be interesting.  If someone is right about Divine antagonists maybe the church of Zakarum (iirc a pretty decently-big part of Diablo lore) has gone corrupt?  So we'll see either pally being the few noble ones left, or maybe like some sort of dark knight?  For those that watched (or didin't watch) the big gameplay trailer, the days of consta-potioning are supposedly over, so I wonder if there will be any healing-oriented players.  Maybe a more full fledged cleric type. Or maybe Pally will actually do some decent healing. (lol holy bolt)  Maybe none of this!

Sorc will be back in some way.  There has to be some big casting nuker with low hp.

Other than that, the only thing that irked me (and 90% won't be in the final build, obvz) was that the narrator kept saying "for MASSIVE DAMAGE," but I never saw anyones health globe drop below maybe 40%

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:01 »

I still haven't been able to get the gameplay video to play all the way through yet, but I am super excited about what I have seen so far.  The Witch Doctor spells and abilities look amazing.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:03 »

Pally should be interesting.  If someone is right about Divine antagonists maybe the church of Zakarum (iirc a pretty decently-big part of Diablo lore) has gone corrupt? 

Wasn´t the church shown to be corrupted in Diablo II?

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:08 »

^ Definitely possible.  I only know they were a major part of the lore from scanning over things and reading things a long time ago.  Them being corrupt in 2 wouldnt surprise me.  Either way theyre significant and i believe will somehow affect a character class.

wonder if barbs and druids will be consolidated at all, given that druids came from barbs.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:31 »

What about Lazarus in Diablo one? I'd say even then there was some wear and tear on the borders of the church.

Honestly if they completely get rid of druids I'll be pissed, it was more or less my favorite character class.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2008, 12:00 »

Based upon the video, I can't imagine this game having very high system reqs. I hope that's the case since I might not be able to play it otherwise. The graphics may get an update before release but it doesn't look much better than Dungeon Siege/Titan Quest at the moment. It still looks good, but not next-gen good. I'm praying I'll be able to play it.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2008, 12:14 »

If it's going to have a simultaneous release on Macs, it's gonna have to run on somewhat low spec to sell well.  Most Apple laptops use Intel GMA X3100's (a high-end onboard chipset, which despite running things better than most onboards, is still kinda crappy), as do some of the desktops.  I know that supposedly the laptops are getting a hardware re-design sometime this summer, but Blizzard probably isn't counting on everyone going out and buying the new ones.

That being said, it still looks pretty damn good.  If there's one thing that's got me really fascinated, it's that they're still using random layouts.  I didn't think it would look this organic (it certainly didn't in the first two), but it's on par and even better than some pre-baked layouts I've seen in other games.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2008, 12:18 »

They may not be using extremely high-resolution textures and what not, but I imagine the game will still be somewhat processor and memory-intensive simply because of the mass quantity of crap happening on-screen at times. The very beginning of the video when all the monsters come climbing up the supports and surround the barb on the bridge looks like it would get pretty laggy on machines more than three to five years old. And IIRC, they have stated that their intention is to bring the focus back to the sheer action of facing gigantic hordes and swarms of enemies, so that type of thing probably won't be uncommon.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jun 2008, 12:34 »

Right, but if you have a 5 year-old PC you aren't really in a position to argue about high-end specs anyways. Guaranteed it's an easy feat to make a sub-$500 computer that plays this maxed out.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2008, 13:05 »

Probably, sure. You can do the same to run most games that aren't called Oblivion and don't run on DX10/Vista if you're shopping for the parts right. I'm just saying, I wouldn't count on being able to play the game without difficulty unless your machine is at least that current.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2008, 13:19 »

What about Lazarus in Diablo one? I'd say even then there was some wear and tear on the borders of the church.

Honestly if they completely get rid of druids I'll be pissed, it was more or less my favorite character class.

i liked em too.  My friends going with whatever the bow-using class will be, and im gonna be some sorta medium armor type fighter.  were not into having tanks, to keep shit frentic.  so yeah.  hopefully druids will be around (i had a pretty awesome wind druid in 1.10) or at worst i guess i can go werewolf.  Hopefully werewolf appearance (assuming druids are even in the game) will change based on weapon/eqp this time.

...Am i the only one who's feeling extremely nerdy in that I'm already excited for an unannounced EXPANSION to game that JUST got fucking announced?  I'm just a little shocked at only 5 classes, so yeah.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jun 2008, 13:58 »

Just some speculation here...

We've read that they're aiming to make Diablo 3 a "better role-playing game", albeit one that's more MP-focused. And I've noticed that the character descriptions so far all detail class-specific backstory conflicts (the loss of what e'er sacred mountain for the barbs, the tribal conflict for the witch doctor) so what I'm thinking is possibly they'll have class-specific campaigns for SP and a big playground for MP? Maybe I'm reading to much into the descriptions.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jun 2008, 14:04 »

^ in the faq on diabloii.net they had an interview in which (i forget the name of who was interviewed) confirmed class speciific quests :)

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: 29 Jun 2008, 15:47 »

I was watching this trailer with my close friend, whom never played the games, and we were both shouting "That is sweet!" throughout the gameplay video.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jun 2008, 17:34 »

It should also be noted that the Lead World Designer on D3 is Leonard Boyarski, who was more or less the creative director for all the visual aspects of Fallout (and the only principal on that game to have any sort of massive success post-Troika).
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #43 on: 29 Jun 2008, 19:52 »

Man, once I saw this trailer i pretty much got rid of the fear id been having for years of how bad diablo 3 might be post roper/schaffer, etc leaving to create the (mostly forgotten, and apparently lack luster) game i can't even remember the name of!

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #44 on: 30 Jun 2008, 00:35 »

It should also be noted that the Lead World Designer on D3 is Leonard Boyarski, who was more or less the creative director for all the visual aspects of Fallout (and the only principal on that game to have any sort of massive success post-Troika).

I realy hope he brings with him the rediculously gory Troika critical hits.

imapiratearg

« Reply #45 on: 30 Jun 2008, 06:24 »

Man, once I saw this trailer i pretty much got rid of the fear id been having for years of how bad diablo 3 might be post roper/schaffer, etc leaving to create the (mostly forgotten, and apparently lack luster) game i can't even remember the name of!

Hellgate: London?

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #46 on: 30 Jun 2008, 08:43 »

^ That's the one.  Also there was another game (I don't THINK it was made my flagship, though I'm not sure) that was supposedly very Diablo-esque.  Either way, i got kinda medium excited about both when they were announced/being developed.  Then they came out to little fanfare and I kinda just wanted another Diablo :p

edit: Guild Wars was the other one.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2008, 09:13 by will: wanton sex god »

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2008, 11:06 »

This is some of the best news I've heard in a while.  Why is all the good news, video game news?

onefineday

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #48 on: 30 Jun 2008, 13:59 »

my response to the statement "I hope you don't spend all your free time doing that crap":  "let's just say i can't wait for my new girlfriend to hit stores."

in all seriousness though, it looks really really nice; the new aspects are quite interesting.  oh, and the trailer gave me chills.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #49 on: 30 Jun 2008, 14:56 »

on lots of (diablo oriented) forums people are complaining about the WD being lackluster.  I was honestly pretty interested in him, given that weve seen, what 6 of 30 skills? (if same number of skills as d2, and it wouldnt be crazy to assume more skills)

wow, grammmar.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up