THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help, I'm Stuck With Generic  (Read 12109 times)

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
Re: Help, I'm Stuck With Generic
« Reply #50 on: 02 Jul 2008, 13:49 »

Wouldn't Never Hear the End Of It be kind of overwhelming? I mean it's like, an hour long song. Twice Removed would be good, One Chord to Another if you like Beatleyness, but chronologically is a very good idea too.
it's time to stop posting

Mirandamouse

« Reply #51 on: 03 Jul 2008, 18:57 »

ooh sloan! ^_^
i love them.
not only are they a band,
but it's the name of ferris bueller's girlfriend.
honestly,
for the people all mad about him asking for bands,
he's just asking for music.
we aren't shoving it down his throat.
but,
giving opinions merely.
mmkay?
honest advice tho: just find music you like on your own,
it's more fulfilling.

thevan

« Reply #52 on: 04 Jul 2008, 04:05 »

I would suggest everything and anything Elephant Six: Of Montreal, The Apples in Stereo, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Essex Green, The Olivia Tremor Control, Beulah, and so on.

Also, I like Sloan just as much as the next guy (HALIFAX!!!) but aren't they... with Universal Records?

PS. First post ftw.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #53 on: 04 Jul 2008, 11:46 »

it's posts like that that will turn this guy off.  not because you were abrasive or rude or anything, but because you just threw way too many esoteric words at him
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #54 on: 11 Jul 2008, 08:23 »

I would have to disagree with pretty much all recommendations here. I've come to believe that becoming a "good" music fan and listener you actually have to practice. You have to listen to a lot of music and you have to find out what you like and don't like.

Eventually you will either kind of taper off and come to realize that maybe you're just not as interested in music intellectually as you thought you were, or you'll start to really develop a taste. You'll develop your own pallet for music. (And something tells me I'm using the wrong spelling of pallet here, but fuck it.) And I think anyone with a real taste for music will usually naturally move into some form of indie music anyway, so no worries there.

And honestly just taking all of the recommendations from this thread will probably just result in you trying to like the bands for a while before you eventually realize you don't really like them that much.

That being said, I personally think Queens of the Stone Age is better than any of those mainstream, faux-indie acts out there that could lead you into indie, and personally, the Queens are where my own musical taste really started to develop (and also one of the few bands I listened to when I was like 15 that I still think are the fucking bee's knees). So that's a group I have to recommend to any young person unacquainted with more obscure music. The Queens and The Beatles. But again, that's just me.

Edit: To add some more explanation. I think there are a lot of popular acts that are genuinely good and unique enough that they will help you develop more refined musical taste. Essentially giving you some "practice" in listening to music. Or for a different kind of metaphor, they're like a gateway drug to more extreme or difficult shit.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2008, 08:30 by JediBendu »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #55 on: 11 Jul 2008, 09:08 »

Also, I like Sloan just as much as the next guy (HALIFAX!!!) but aren't they... with Universal Records?

Please tell me this is a joke post.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up