THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 15:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS  (Read 6690 times)

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Chrono Trigger DS
« on: 02 Jul 2008, 00:30 »

And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Chrono Trigger DS
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul 2008, 00:54 »

That's a pretty bold headline for an article with approximately two facts in it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2008, 02:21 »

To be fair, the countdown page is very reminiscent of the Chrono Trigger opening screen, and the sound effect of the ticking clock, as far as I can tell, is the exact sound from the game. So, even if it hasn't officially been confirmed yet, it seems like a foregone conclusion at this point.

I really, really need to know more details about this. I'll probably buy it anyway, since it's Chrono Trigger, but still.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2008, 08:06 »

Um, yeah, it's not a question.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2008/070208a.html

The only thing is that this is pretty much a direct port a la FF4 Advance rather than an awesome DS remake a a FF4 DS. Basically, not worth the money if you've played and/or owned the game before.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jul 2008, 08:40 »

Ummm, what the fuck are you talking about?

It's got touch screen functionality, dual screen view, a new dungeon, multiplayer wireless battles and it was always a gorgeous game to begin with.

For that matter, even a straight up port would be worthwhile. The PSX port was a load of shit with horrible load times. And this is portable!

Anyone who didn't mess themselves over this confirmation is either a communist or doesn't like JRPGs.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2008, 08:57 »

I am a communist AND hate jRPGs and I'm still excited.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

imagist42

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jul 2008, 09:04 »

No, see, I was completely obsessed with CT and FFIII on the SNES as a child. I really played nothing else (and I did very little besides play video games), except for MMX when I wanted a break. But I am getting fucking sick of Sqeenix and their ports. Why would I ever want to pay $30 to play a game I have already owned and loved for 13 years? I made the mistake of buying all the FF ports (a "new dungeon" that is only accessible at the end game and only serves to get you a couple items that are ultimately irrelevant and unnecessary because you could obviously beat the game without them before so why would you need them now does not count as a change) and found myself ultimately disappointed.

Haven't you learned to interpret SE's (and for that matter, most developers') bullshit by now? "Touch screen functionality" translates to "use the stylus to navigate menus." "Dual screen view" translates to "we'll show you menus at all times when you could just as easily see them by pressing start." And the article says nothing about multiplayer wireless battles; given Square's history for "wireless play modes," it'll likely be a crappy messaging system akin to Moogle mail, maybe some totally irrelevant and useless minigame. Even if it is battles, who the fuck cares? As much as I love the game, there's not near enough customization and diversity to make that fun. As long as the game remains "unchanged at its core," I am uninterested in closing the purchase.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jul 2008, 09:06 »

Because I don't want to carry an SNES and a TV around with me to work when I want to play CT? Maybe that's why I'm willing to buy it?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jul 2008, 09:11 »

Ableeblabloo. I hate puppies and sunshine.

Seriously. The bitching is getting old.

All across the web, people are crying about this.

Have Square Enix stopped making new games?

No, they haven't. A port like this doesn't exactly require a gigantic staff. Quit bitching and let the rest of us who actually ARE willing to pay $30 for a portable port of one of the best games in history enjoy ourselves.
JON MADE ME GAY

imagist42

« Reply #9 on: 02 Jul 2008, 09:19 »

Because I don't want to carry an SNES and a TV around with me to work when I want to play CT? Maybe that's why I'm willing to buy it?

Granted, that is a valid reason, but I didn't ask why you would buy it. I was called a communist who hates JRPGs so I defended myself with an explanation of why I would not buy it. There are plenty of reasons for some people to be excited (and I think a lot of people are; I don't know about you but I haven't really seen "crying all across the web," more like people masturbating at the thought of this), but I am not some people in this case.

Look, I haven't cared about Squeenix's new properties in years so it's not like I'm upset about the way they're spending their time. As far as I'm concerned, they went off the deep end with FFX and never looked back except for some choice offerings on the DS (TWEWY, FFTA2?). I just wish they would put some effort into bringing these games into the new generation. They took a step in the right direction with FFIII on the DS and FFIV DS looks to be all kinds of awesome, so now that we're hearing about Chrono Trigger on the DS I can't help but wish it were getting the same treatment.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2008, 09:23 by imagist42 »

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jul 2008, 10:13 »

Anyone who didn't mess themselves over this confirmation is either a communist or doesn't like JRPGs.

Or has already played the game enough times to not really care.

But hey, have fun with it.  Meanwhile I'll use my excitement on waiting for the Dragon Quest 4-6 remakes.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2008, 10:20 »

Yay for video game quarreling!
I would get this if i had a DS, which I do not, which I would love, but have not gotten around to purchasing yet.
If I had a DS, I would buy this. So, in a way, I am excited about this.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jul 2008, 11:29 »

I'm not quarreling.  Chrono Trigger is great, I just seriously don't need to play it again.

Chrono Cross, now, I wouldn't mind seeing on the DS because I only played through it once and remember it being enjoyable.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jul 2008, 11:51 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see it. I'd find it hard to believe that the DS could run Super Mario 64 flawlessly at launch, but wouldn't be able to handle Chrono Cross. Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if you could run it on an R4DS.
JON MADE ME GAY

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jul 2008, 13:53 »

Considering the FF3 remake on the DS looked better than FF7, yeah, I think a port of Chrono Cross is probable.

I would complain about Square-Enix's boner for ports and remakes except that at least half of them end up being pretty awesome.  Which is why I am so excited for the second Dragon Quest trilogy.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jul 2008, 15:34 »

As far as the Dragon Quest games go, I've only played the original NES trilogy and 8, but at the same time I dunno if I want to buy those ports either way. DQ is about as conservative as a franchise can get, and I'm not sure if I want that from my RPGs anymore.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ackblom12

« Reply #16 on: 02 Jul 2008, 16:41 »

I was always a little curious why they had never bothered to port CT other than that piece of shit PSX port. It's practically free money for them.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jul 2008, 18:19 »

FUCKIN' A
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

imagist42

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jul 2008, 22:11 »

I was always a little curious why they had never bothered to port CT other than that piece of shit PSX port. It's practically free money for them.

Basically, they know that people expect them to make another sequel, and they figure it's a lot easier to ingore customers when they're not buying something so they'd better not give CT fans anything to buy.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jul 2008, 05:51 »

Personally, I think the way they made FFIII and FFIV look was completely shitty and ridiculous.

Also, I'm sure people won't mind the fact that you can only play the new dungeon after you beat the game (I guess that is what you guys are saying?) because EVERYBODY plays the game over again to get all of the endings. This is going to be pretty great.
Hate, rain on me

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jul 2008, 06:51 »

I actually agree. For what was one of the darkest Final Fantasy games produced, I don't care for cutesy chibi characters in Final Fantasy IV. It kind of fucks with the feel. Enhanced graphics are cool and all, but I think they might've been better served with a less generic feel, or at least something a little less cutesy.

That said, I won't know until I play it. For all I know, it could be really good.
JON MADE ME GAY

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #21 on: 04 Jul 2008, 00:15 »

I was gonna read the thread, but then I started sensin' some negativity. So I'm just gonna stick with a general
YEE-HAA
Pages: [1]   Go Up