THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 21:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands that Dissapointed You Live  (Read 29184 times)

pentaen

• Furry furrier
Re: Bands that Dissapointed You Live
« Reply #100 on: 06 Oct 2008, 20:39 »

man one of the worst live shows that i had looked forward to extremely was Liars. They came on and just seemed to be able to play nearly every note offkey. The music sounded absolutley nothing like the original songs. I love their studio work but i wouldnt waste money to see them live.

Fishboy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #101 on: 07 Oct 2008, 00:41 »

Wolf and Cub were awful live, albeit because of their equipment. everything as loud to the point of distortion, the sound system that they were playing on really couldn't handle it.

Captfamous

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #102 on: 17 Oct 2008, 13:20 »

I saw Sonic Youth a few years ago, and though I really like a lot of their albums, their obsession with experimental feedback has made seeing them live too much of a chore.

Also, I saw Built to Spill on the recommendation of a friend. The way they arranged their set list was so poor. They played all of the relatively fast paced music at the beginning, and then ended on about 8 really mellow songs in a row. I actually fell asleep standing up. Didn't help that I ended up liking the opening band better (The Prids, check them out, they're pretty awesome).

In general, the most disappointing shows for me tend to be bands that I don't listen to much, but get talked up a lot by my friends.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #103 on: 21 Oct 2008, 14:49 »

We Versus the Shark. What I expected to be a mostly dance-rock syncopated music fun fest turned out to be an incomprehensible mish-mash of tinny guitars and shouty lyrics. They've definitely changed since their first release. Unfortunately, it was for the worse.

I feel like I've said this before, but oh well:

Q and Not U. What I expected to be the best show of my adult life turned out to be a boring show only made interesting by the keyboard player picking a fight with an audience member and stealing his jacket. They only played two songs I could easily recognize. The rest were lost in anonymity by lack of proper instrumentation or plain laziness. Ultimately, it wasn't the kind of farewell show I expected.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #104 on: 22 Oct 2008, 00:12 »

I saw Placebo a couple years back and, while I'm not a Placebo 'fan', I do enjoy a lot of their music and thought it'd be pretty fun live. Three songs in I felt physically ill and had to leave.

Seeing Sigur Ros knocked back and forth in here has gotten my curiosity up. I could probably go see them next month for free, but I think I heard like one section of one of their songs ever so I don't know if I'd appreciate it or not. Suggestions?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #105 on: 22 Oct 2008, 06:23 »

Honestly, I've always felt weird going to see a band live that I don't know very well. I always feel like that's one more real fan who's missing out just because I'm curious about a band.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
« Reply #106 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:10 »

LCD Soundsystem are pretty boring on stage.

Liars are probably the only band I've seen I regret seeing (and I didn't even go to the show for them). This may be because they played a whole heck of a lot of songs off their "experimental" records that weren't "The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack," and were therefore terrible songs to begin with, but they were also too over-the-top in their stage mannerisms for me.
Radiohead tour? I saw them. I was intrigued. But they had virtually no one watching them. I mean they were mostly outside of the actual area where the seats are (i know it as the 'house' i don't know any other name for it) and just checking out the sw33t merch. But I liked 'em OK.
kjodshfoasdjoJKK.;;;''''""////////32xX

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #107 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:53 »

Honestly, I've always felt weird going to see a band live that I don't know very well. I always feel like that's one more real fan who's missing out just because I'm curious about a band.

If it is better then I will be getting in on the guestlist, rather than buying a ticket somebody else could have had.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #108 on: 23 Oct 2008, 07:14 »

Fair enough then.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

baroquebleakbrutal

« Reply #109 on: 23 Oct 2008, 21:38 »

At the Gates, at their reunion show this summer.  No air conditioning on a hot summer night in a packed room, absolutely wretched sound, and a singer who looked waaaaaay too happy to be in a metal band killed the atmosphere completely.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #110 on: 24 Oct 2008, 14:22 »

At The Gates are Melodic Death Metal, that should say it all, don't expect to be gored by the extreme brutality of them.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #111 on: 24 Oct 2008, 16:38 »

Some bands that disappointed me this year:

Rage Against the Machine, Big Day Out, Gold Coast - I admit I wasn't expecting much going in. I was pretty much looking for the experience of listening to a good rendition of "Killing In The Name Of" live, and would be satisified with that. Unfortunately the whole gig was pretty mediocre. Zach started out bounding around the stage like he was twenty, and consequently after two songs spent most of the gig crouched over trying to look intense when he clearly was just old and out of breath. No real energy.

Hot Hot Heat, supporting Modest Mouse, Brisbane - Again not a band I was hoping for a lot of talent for necessarily, but surely a fun, energetic gig wasn't too much to ask? Apparently it was. Maybe their songs are just too energetic to play live, but they had no real charisma and the random "instrumental gaps" in the middle of songs that didn't normally have them were pretty lame. Wouldn't want to see them again.

The Presets, St Jerome's Laneway Festival, Brisbane - No real energy. The drummer spent most of his time just fiddling with knobs and very little time actually drumming, and they seemed almost "clean" for the Presets, which is not the vibe you are looking for. Apparently this was due to technical problems, and given the excellent show they put on at Splendour in the Grass, I can believe it.

Does It Offend You Yeah?, Parklife, Brisbane - I'm aware these guys aren't that well liked around here, but I really enjoy the debut album. It's stupid, fun, and great to dance to. Basically I feel like it captures the spirit of '80s pop in a way that few bands can pull off. So I was really looking forward to seeing them live, and they were pretty much the main reason I went to this festival (alongside Soulwax/2 Many DJs and Dizzee Rascal). But they sucked. The set was less than a half hour long, the crowd was terrible (I both had a chick behind me complain I was shoving her, and had someone bump a lit cigarette into me twice), their songs generally were pretty bland and they didn't play either of their best songs ("Epic Last Song" and "Dawn of the Dead" for reference!). Their excuse was that one of the members had broken an arm and so was replaced, but frankly if they were going to put on that shitty of a show without said member, I would have preferred them to cancel.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #112 on: 24 Oct 2008, 18:15 »

The Presets, St Jerome's Laneway Festival, Brisbane - No real energy. The drummer spent most of his time just fiddling with knobs and very little time actually drumming, and they seemed almost "clean" for the Presets, which is not the vibe you are looking for. Apparently this was due to technical problems, and given the excellent show they put on at Splendour in the Grass, I can believe it.

I was going to say, they were fairly excellent when I saw them opening for Cut Copy last month. Although they did have technical problems there, too, because in the middle of one song the phat beatzz died and it took about five minutes to get the show running again.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

petmilk

« Reply #113 on: 24 Oct 2008, 20:16 »

minus the bear were such miserable showmen that the only reason i stuck around was because they were opening for the braid reunion tour.

baroquebleakbrutal

« Reply #114 on: 24 Oct 2008, 22:07 »

Does It Offend You Yeah?, Parklife, Brisbane - I'm aware these guys aren't that well liked around here, but I really enjoy the debut album. It's stupid, fun, and great to dance to. Basically I feel like it captures the spirit of '80s pop in a way that few bands can pull off. So I was really looking forward to seeing them live, and they were pretty much the main reason I went to this festival (alongside Soulwax/2 Many DJs and Dizzee Rascal). But they sucked. The set was less than a half hour long, the crowd was terrible (I both had a chick behind me complain I was shoving her, and had someone bump a lit cigarette into me twice), their songs generally were pretty bland and they didn't play either of their best songs ("Epic Last Song" and "Dawn of the Dead" for reference!). Their excuse was that one of the members had broken an arm and so was replaced, but frankly if they were going to put on that shitty of a show without said member, I would have preferred them to cancel.

I saw them open for NIN in August having had absolutely no experience with them whatsoever and I was really surprised about how much effort they put into trying to win over new fans.  I could see how they could be really hit or miss depending on the energy, though.

baroquebleakbrutal

« Reply #115 on: 24 Oct 2008, 22:12 »

At The Gates are Melodic Death Metal, that should say it all, don't expect to be gored by the extreme brutality of them.

Wasn't saying I expected to be gored by their brutality (although to be honest, melodic or no, any band that has lyrics like "Slaughter of the soul/Suicidal final art/Children - born of sin/Tear your soul apart" better be rocking a bit of the brutality oe they're missing the point), but I was expecting a better energy.  It's ok for a metal frontman to smile - Akerfeldt smiles all the time and he might as well be the black metal savior come to Earth - but in this case it seemed like a lack of focus.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #116 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:24 »

My band has been disappointing me live and in practice of late. I'm pretty sure we are going to have to kill the drummer and feed him to the chihuahuas.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #117 on: 29 Oct 2008, 16:25 »

I glanced over this thread.

My curiosity caused me to google "freezepop".

I... never again.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #118 on: 02 Nov 2008, 16:02 »

I saw them open for NIN in August having had absolutely no experience with them whatsoever and I was really surprised about how much effort they put into trying to win over new fans.  I could see how they could be really hit or miss depending on the energy, though.

I saw them on a tour in the UK as one of the opening acts for The Cribs and they were probably the best of the 4 acts on the night. Even with the neon-paint wearing glow-stick waving pre-pubescent scenesters crowding around me.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up