THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 17:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpets  (Read 4871 times)

bbq

• Obscure cultural reference
Trumpets
« on: 02 Jul 2008, 18:31 »

Ok, I made this thread to talk about trumpets. All types of trumpets, playing/listening to trumpets.

First off, does anyone play trumpet? I do..Of course, I'm not very good (only grade 4 (grade 5 if I pass the exam I did on tuesday), if you are english- not sure what grades you have in other places), but I'm pretty good for the age. I'm hoping to get a lot better, but I kinda need some advice on how to be able to play quicker and higher. Playing the trumpet is fun most of the time (such as when playing classical- What I can play I really enjoy), and jazz. Unfortunately I suck at improvisation, I just don't seem to be able to do it. Jazz tunes are fun though.

I have a yamaha B flat trumpet, with a Jupiter 7C mouthpiece. It's currently away for resoldering, because one of the slides because disconnected (pretty much fatal), but otherwise it is a very nice trumpet. I'm also thinking of getting a cheap piccollo trumpet, around the £300 range (about $600).

And finally, trumpet music. I haven't listened to much, apart from what I've played, but I know a couple of players such as wynton marsalis and hardenberger (who play jazz (I think) and classical respectively), who are both very skilled. Here is a video of hardenberger, playing a rotary valve piccolo trumpet (an instrument which I think is totally awesome), and wynton marsalis playing a kickass improvisation on the 'happy birthday' tune and chords with a saxophone player here. What does everyone else think of these two players, and trumpet playing/music in general?

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Trumpets
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul 2008, 19:08 »

I play trumpet as well...My advice is stick with the jazz. Improvisation is as much about practice as anything else, really, and it's definitely one of the things I'm grateful to have learned. Being able to sit down and play with a bunch of random people and connect musically through largely spontaneous music is a pretty fucking great feeling, not to mention the freedom of expression it brings over classical.

As for recommendations- Inlander will no doubt inundate this thread with quality jazz-trumpet recommendations.

Until then, you might try starting with one of the most influential trumpet players of all time, one Miles Dewey Davis. This guy seriously wrote the book on a number of genres, and was a huge influence on other jazz greats, like Coltrane, John McLaughlin (one of my favourite guitarists), Herbie Hancock, just to name a few. I'd recommend starting with recordings from his first big quintet, or the second, as the be-bop stuff and/or the fusion stuff might be a little more difficult to get into (but you definitely should check it out as well). 

Apart from Miles, check out Bix Beiderbecke, maybe, as far as jazz goes. Also that trumpet player from Duke Ellington's band, who was all about the flutter-tongue and wah-mute. Can't remember his name off-hand though, I'll have to look it up, but he's one of my favourite players using that style.

If you want to hear some interesting contemporary stuff, check out Nils Petter Molvær's Khmer. Nils has a very distinct, breathy tone which he combines with a number of electronic effects and production to create some hauntingly beautiful music.

Edit: Forgot one of my New Favourite Bands: Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. These guys are seriously the best thing ever.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2008, 19:11 by ViolentDove »
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2008, 19:26 »

Seriously guys, Clifford Brown

I would also recommend Freddie Hubbard and Arturo Sandoval (check out his Trumpet Evolution)
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2008, 19:40 »

We are one post into this thread and nobody has mentioned Dizzy "Fuckin" Gillespie. While he did great stuff solo, my personal favorite is the Bird and Diz album that he did with Charlie Parker.

Also unless you're playing period pieces, the piccolo trumpet is maybe not the best investment. Some people can go their entire professional classical career and hardly ever touch one of the things, and if you're a jazz player, the odds of you using one is even slimmer. I really don't think they're scored for in much past select baroque and renaissance pieces.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jul 2008, 19:43 »

Yeah, unless you start into brass quintets and doing church and wedding gigs and the like you really aren't going to need it that much.  And even with that it's still not used often.

Also,
I'm hoping to get a lot better, but I kinda need some advice on how to be able to play quicker and higher.

This shouldn't be your prime focus.  The tone that you produce should, in my mind, take precedence over high notes and note speed.  With better tone comes higher skill.  What kinds of studies books do you have?
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2008, 19:49 by KickThatBathProf »
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

bbq

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2008, 19:51 »

Also unless you're playing period pieces, the piccolo trumpet is maybe not the best investment.

Basically I got some money that is sitting there doing nothing, until I spend it or it (very improbably) increases exponentially, so I decided to buy a piccolo trumpet, for fun mainly. And I'm not primarily a jazz player, but I'm trying to get better on that front.

Thanks for all the suggestions..I'll listen to them all (hopefully). I have already listened to dizzy gillespie- he is awesome.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jul 2008, 19:54 »

I've often toyed with the idea of picking up a cheap pocket trumpet for novelty value and traveling.

Also, you could consider a C trumpet if you've got money to spend and transposing does your head in.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

bbq

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jul 2008, 20:06 »

How much are C trumpets?

Oh yeah- any advice on what mouthpiece to get next? My trusty 7C is close to disintegration.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jul 2008, 21:06 »

The Megatones are always a good idea for a solid, centered tone. The size depends on your personal lips. If you want to be able to "try before you buy", I like to go the way of WWBW. They have a rather liberal return policy (I believe it is $3 for sanitation, and you can send in any mouthpiece just because you don't like it), awhich is good because it is a trial and error process. Though, the best idea is to go to a local brass shop (if any in your area have a decent selection) and try out the Bach sizes, even if they don't have the megatones in stock.

Also, if you want to be able to play quicker and higher, the first thing that you should be working on is your breath. This is what all of those Clarke exercises are all about. You don't need to press on the lips (there should be just enough pressure to keep it on your chops) and you definitely don't want the press to be on the top lip. The bottom lip holds everything in place, the top lip does the work (within reason, of course). Most people should actually work on pulling the horn away from them and not tightening up when doing lip slurs, and it frees up both the range and the sound.

Also, a cool lip work-out that I saw one of the trumpeters from Synergy Brass doing for lip strength and endurance. All you need is a pencil. You close your teeth together, and hold the pencil up by the eraser end in your lips. Do this in 15 second "sets" with 15 second breaks in between. It really builds up strength, though it will hurt if you do it too much.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jul 2008, 21:55 »

[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

tigrar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jul 2008, 23:45 »

I play on a 1.5C and Bach Stradivarius (which I got for only $200  :lol:), but I'm thinking of switching to something else (maybe a 3C).  I can't believe nobody mentioned Louis Armstrong (West End Blues?!), Al Hirt, or Bill Chase.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jul 2008, 00:00 »

I play on a large bore Bach Strad, raw brass cause it looks cool. I switched over to jazz basically full-time during college and I play on a 13A4A... can't for the life of me think of the company that makes it. It's only something you'd want to use if you play jazz exclusively, because it's really shallow and made just to improve range. Since I don't play concert stuff anymore (or, really at all anymore), I like to use it to supplement my range some.

As far as players go, most of the greats have already been mentioned. If you just want fun stuff to listen to, try Maynard Ferguson and Wayne Bergeron. Not the kind of players you'd want to try and emulate, but they're hell of fun to listen to.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jul 2008, 16:56 »

The Drift is an absolutely awesome jazz/dub/rockish band on the Temporary Residence Limited label. They make the fucking coolest music ever. Their lineup: drums, guitar, upright bass and, yes, trumpet. Lots of very very cool trumpet.
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2008, 08:41 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jul 2008, 19:31 »

Crumpets and strumpets are pretty good, too.

Hey Wombat, got any linkage for that band? They sound right up my alley.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jul 2008, 19:36 »

Sure thing. Here's their website: http://www.thedriftmusic.com/
Go to the "Music" tab and scroll down on the right hand box to the second song, "Invisible Cities." Listen to that one first as it's from their first (and best) full length. If you like what you hear, I can put everything I have by them (which is everything they've released I believe) into the mediaf!re thread.

EDIT:
The track I suggested is 13 minutes long on the album, not 6 and trust me, the extra minutes make it even better.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2008, 19:47 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Soidanae

« Reply #15 on: 04 Jul 2008, 08:31 »

one Miles Dewey Davis.

Get Kind of Blue.

Don't stop listening until next week.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up