THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 23:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow, coffee of doom is expensive  (Read 14328 times)

himynameisjulien

Wow, coffee of doom is expensive
« on: 03 Jul 2008, 22:59 »

Seriously, I looked at a price list in the background in a comic and it's $51.75 for a small latte. I love things like these, the things in there that people miss. Thanks Jeph :)

parm

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: Wow, coffee of doom is expensive
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 2008, 04:27 »

You can probably get it up to about that in Starbucks if you just keep piling everything in it.

In fact, given how much my coffee machine cost, and how much I actually use it these days, I bet the average cost per cup of coffee I've had from it isn't that far off...
You've got spunk and balls, Jen. And I like that in a woman.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2008, 06:56 »

In the meantime you can get New England Coffee, which is way better than Starbucks coffee, with a choice of two normal varieties and six flavors, at a seven eleven for $1.50.

Although to be fair, Starbucks coffee is better now than it used to be.  I just don't like having to explain to them every time that I just want coffee!!

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul 2008, 08:40 »

Quote from: Notalwaysright.com

Customer: “I want a coffee.”

Me: “What sort of coffee can I get for you, sir?”

Customer: “Just black coffee.”

Me: “Would you like drip coffee or an Americano, sir?”

Customer: “Don’t make it so BLOODY COMPLICATED, just get me a coffee! And don’t try to sell me them fancy things like sprinkles, neither!”

(My coworker and I stifle our laughter as I silently ring up the largest size of the most expensive ‘black’ coffee.)

Customer: “That’s better. No more of your lip!”

Coworker: *laughs out loud*

parm

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jul 2008, 09:40 »

In the meantime you can get New England Coffee, which is way better than Starbucks coffee, with a choice of two normal varieties and six flavors, at a seven eleven for $1.50.

Not in Europeland, we can't.

Incidentally, these things are bloody brilliant. Seriously.
You've got spunk and balls, Jen. And I like that in a woman.

himynameisjulien

« Reply #5 on: 04 Jul 2008, 15:10 »

You can probably get it up to about that in Starbucks if you just keep piling everything in it.

In fact, given how much my coffee machine cost, and how much I actually use it these days, I bet the average cost per cup of coffee I've had from it isn't that far off...
I actually once got a $15 cup of coffee at Starbucks. Sprinkles, whipped cream, extra shots, the works. I wish I had a coffee machine.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jul 2008, 15:40 »

It's hyperinflation in the QC-world. The muffins cost $158.29.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jul 2008, 17:01 »

But if you use Canadian dollars, it's "only" $3.50. ;)

Yes, a joke about the declining value of the American dollar. Where do my writers come up with such fresh, witty material?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jul 2008, 04:14 »

Seriously, I looked at a price list in the background in a comic and it's $51.75 for a small latte. I love things like these, the things in there that people miss. Thanks Jeph :)

You sure it's not "S $1.75" ?  That's what it looks like to me.

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jul 2008, 10:19 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1173

It actually says S $ 1.75 I think you thought the S was the dollar sign and the dollar sign was a 5. Coffee at CoD is actually pretty cheap.
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505

himynameisjulien

« Reply #10 on: 06 Jul 2008, 10:37 »

Oh, ok, sorry then. I also just noticed the WTF size, ha. It's not in earlier comics. Which brings me to a point. Maybe it (the price) changed from earlier comics, and in the newer ones is modified to be more like today's coffee prices.

Tako

• Not quite a lurker
  • kokorecho
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:48 »

$1.75 if a few cents more than the pre-tax price of a small coffee at Starbucks.

In my experience Starbucks and most coffee shops tend to hover around the same prices. It's gas stations and McDonalds that make it look expensive.

Rocketman

• A little bitter.
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jul 2008, 15:00 »

What's the difference between 'drip' and 'Americano'?  :?

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jul 2008, 23:25 »

I beg of people to stop being outraged about Starbucks having so many options! I mean, it's fine if you have a super annoying person waiting on you, but if it's so terrible, STOP GOING THERE. The OH NO TOO MANY COFFEE OPTIONS rant is so 1999. I'm sorry, I am putting my foot down.

I once said the following to a girl my age at Starbucks "medium house" (just like I say at indie coffee houses.) She exactly knew what I meant, and I got me said coffee. It was not that hard.

I am sure there are people who try to sell you other options, but if it happens all the time, go somewhere ELSE. Stop freaking out because there are so many choices. Choices are GOOD.

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jul 2008, 10:24 »

I work at Starbucks and I have never asked that question. If someone wants an Americano, they can order that. Its a separate on the register. And actually, they require us to ask if you want room (yes even if you say black coffee). When you get into Latte's I see no problem with someone asking "would you like whipped cream on that?" Or if you're getting a cappuccino "wet or dry?" if you don't specify. Most people that go to Starbucks frequent there daily and we mostly know their orders and they know what they want and have their exact change ready for us when the get to the counter.

Rocketman

• A little bitter.
« Reply #15 on: 08 Jul 2008, 12:56 »

I usually get around it by asking for the strongest brew they got. I want coffee that'll grow hair on a bowling ball and kill a skinny person. This damn coffee needs to be able to kick my freaking ass.

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #16 on: 08 Jul 2008, 21:25 »

I work at Starbucks and I have never asked that question. If someone wants an Americano, they can order that.

So there's no point in asking. Like she did. And somehow the customer is the asshole... huh?

And then, in this story, the desk clerk takes revenge on the customer because he is annoyed when she asks him pointless questions! This makes no sense to me whatsoever. If you work at Starbucks you probably know that nobody follows all the rules all the time - you may be required to ask everyone if they want whipped cream with their lattés, but would you still do that if the guy buying it was clearly in a big rush and just needed his coffee straight away? Know the customer! You only need a few months on this when you start at a new place; you learn to handle different types of customers, that's what separates a bad customer service clerk from a good one.

I totally understand what you're saying. If someones in a hurry I still ask if they want room, but I do it while pouring the coffee. . . and as far as Latte's, I usually ask questions while I'm making the drink. I don't try to upsize. . . that bothers me when people do it to me.

Thlayli

« Reply #17 on: 08 Jul 2008, 21:34 »

I work at Starbucks and I have never asked that question. If someone wants an Americano, they can order that.

So there's no point in asking. Like she did. And somehow the customer is the asshole... huh?

See, my problem with this is a conversation that is struck up too often in a lot of stores:

Customer: "I want to buy x."

Clerk: "Do you want the double-x?"

Customer: "No, I want the x. That's why I said x, not double-x."

Clerk: "Ok then! Do you want the y accessory to that x?"

Customer: "No, if I did I would have said so!"

I've never worked at a coffee shop, but I have had other sales jobs before (and yes, working the counter at a place like Starbucks is considered sales). The company requires low-level employees to press the customer to buy extra shit, because that's where all the profit comes from. The person you as a customer interact with knows exactly how annoying it is, but they have a choice between that and a negative performance review or deduction from pay.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2008, 10:35 »

... A cup of coffee costs $1.75 at normal prices?

Fuck that.

I can MAKE a cup of coffee for approximately US 55c.

(We don't have coffee shops in Jamiaca...)
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2008, 11:51 »

Although to be fair, Starbucks coffee is better now than it used to be.  I just don't like having to explain to them every time that I just want coffee!!

Denis Leary is a king among men. Also kings.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DpKdOZuB66o&feature=related
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2008, 12:08 by Vendetagainst »
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE
Pages: [1]   Go Up