THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures  (Read 36339 times)

Thlayli

Re: Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #50 on: 16 Jul 2008, 21:26 »

I always feel kind of bad when I hear Canadians and English people talking about the American movies and TV shows they watch. King of the Hill is a good example of a show that (if they insist on broadcasting it at all) should never be broadcast outside the US. There are just so many (extremely heavy-handed) inside jokes.  It would be like a show being broadcast in America that makes fun of Quebecois and Newfies, or Glaswegians.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jul 2008, 21:33 »

Thlayli

why?  Canada's media is just like America-light.  Honestly most Canadians get 95% of the jokes that Americans get.  We can get shows like King of the Hill because we GET the inside jokes. 

brandon_ha

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #52 on: 16 Jul 2008, 23:10 »

Where as if you watched, say Chilly Beach or Air Farce alot of the jokes would go right over your heads. Well Chilly Beach pokes at alot of the Canadian stereotypes as well.
Yeah punctuation sure is pretty pretentious. Look how fucking pretentious this post is, all with two periods and a comma.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jul 2008, 03:11 »

Man, this thread. You guys are silly, things like retro cartoons and campy shit aren't guilty pleasures. They are legitimately cool, that is why people list them on their internet profiles.

Now. My guilty pleasure has been the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I mean, yes, I know the characters are kinda predictable and the situation is rather contrived...but then actually I feel kinda bad criticizing it, because I know I shouldn't be one of those pretentious college kids who just tries to appear smart. Honestly, I enjoyed reading through the books. It kept me immersed and it was the first time in forever that I've had that experience of being sucked in by stuff that I'm reading. Lately it feels like everything I try to read, I have to work at, and while it can be very rewarding, sometimes it's just not that fun. Twilight allowed me to basically not think about my life for two days, which was nice.

It does reference creationism and it is kind of funny how Bella and Edward end up saving sex for marriage but I guess the author is a Mormon so it kind of makes sense.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #54 on: 17 Jul 2008, 04:15 »

Where as if you watched, say Chilly Beach or Air Farce alot of the jokes would go right over your heads. Well Chilly Beach pokes at alot of the Canadian stereotypes as well.

The chicken cannon is accessible to practically anyone with a sense of humour.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

brandon_ha

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #55 on: 17 Jul 2008, 08:10 »

I suddenly have been encouraging one of my guilty pleasures. Somebody has uploaded all the batman beyond episodes onto youtube. I've basically canceled all my plans.
Yeah punctuation sure is pretty pretentious. Look how fucking pretentious this post is, all with two periods and a comma.

Thlayli

« Reply #56 on: 17 Jul 2008, 12:15 »

Thlayli

why?  Canada's media is just like America-light.  Honestly most Canadians get 95% of the jokes that Americans get.  We can get shows like King of the Hill because we GET the inside jokes. 

Just because you're laughing doesn't mean you understand why it was originally meant to be funny. Which is totally cool, because art is supposed to be open to subjective interpretation.

idiosyncratic

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #57 on: 19 Jul 2008, 14:35 »

Charmed is my guilty pleasure.   :roll:  I can't help that I love those Halliwell sisters and their cheesy special effects. 
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #58 on: 19 Jul 2008, 19:19 »

music-wise for me would be a few songs by Linken Park. I know that that destroys my music credibility though :cry:
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #59 on: 19 Jul 2008, 19:23 »

Oh Roxie, I secretly love them too. I will admit that I haven't heard their new album yet but I still bust out their debut and sing along every once in a while. It's so catchy!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #60 on: 19 Jul 2008, 20:39 »

For music my guilty pleasure is probably The Cure, i get ridiculed a lot by liking them.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #61 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:12 »

Musically, my guilty pleasure is Wierd Al
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #62 on: 20 Jul 2008, 12:12 »

I have no guilty pleasures

I am utterly proud of each and every thing I do

This includes loving the shit out of Pokemon cartoons/movies... even the latest ones where they have gone so far downhill they wound up back at the top
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #63 on: 20 Jul 2008, 18:03 »

Dude..
I just found this guy on YouTube that's uploaded every single friggin' Pokemon episode and I'm watching them all.

I like Pokemon too.
Almost no one knows though.

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #64 on: 20 Jul 2008, 18:28 »

share and enjoy

mostly with the sharing though
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jul 2008, 07:50 »

for a long time I was not ashamed of anything I read, listened to, or watched, but then my brother introduced me to charmed, and my friend gave me a shit tank full of pokemon episodes. I don't particularly like either of them, but I watch them, I don't know why.

Also one final resounding vote for do not be ashamed of avatar the last airbender. That show was 10 kinds of awesome, though the first half of the 3rd season was a tad lackluster. 
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #66 on: 23 Jul 2008, 15:06 »

ooh, FLCL! back when I used to have Adult Swim I would watch that show religiously (even if it's only *six* episodes long), and I imagine I would still love it today, regardless of what I might say to the contrary  :wink:
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2008, 19:10 by Vendetagainst »
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

CursedMortivore

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Creepy lurker.
« Reply #67 on: 24 Jul 2008, 09:36 »

For those who say the first half of season 3 of Avatar was lackluster:

Go back and look at the first half of seasons 1 and 2 and you will notice the trend of lackluster there too. It's usually not until the latter parts of the seasons that it really picks up. And the last 4 episodes (a.k.a. the 2-hour finale super-episode) are made of brilliance and win.
"Fight fire with fire? You should fight everything with fire!" - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

jessco

« Reply #68 on: 24 Jul 2008, 12:09 »

Conan, what is best in life?

TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES!  TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU.  AND HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THE WOMEN.

I love it.

I really thought it was cool someone mentioned the Stephanie Meyer series.  That was a guilty pleasure of mine once, as well as the Laurell K. Hamilton series in which the first book was ironically titled, "Guilty Pleasures".

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is my favorite TV Guilt. 

As for movies, it's a tie between Harold and Kumar and Much Ado About Nothing- which has Denzel Washington playing some white guy's brother, and Keanu Reeves raping Shakespeare harder that anyone ever thought possible.

Although I have a strong affection for anime, I have over the years learned that not all of it is good.  I never bowed down for Pokemon, but I did watch a shit ton of Dragon Ball Z in high school.  Always waiting for that damn spirit ball to form.

Oh, and I like Rush.  That statement right there usually gets me more grief than everything I have previously mentioned.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #69 on: 25 Jul 2008, 04:23 »

As for TV guilt - Total Drama Island on the Teletoon Network....

jessco

« Reply #70 on: 25 Jul 2008, 04:42 »

As for movies, it's a tie between Harold and Kumar and Much Ado About Nothing- which has Denzel Washington playing some white guy's brother, and Keanu Reeves raping Shakespeare harder that anyone ever thought possible.

Oh my gosh yes, I love this movie but Keanu Reeves is the worst Shakespeare villain ever. Did you HEAR his evil laugh? Like Doctor Horrible would say-- "that's about standards". Keanu is unable to show any emotion besides confused. It worked for the matrix (part 1 anyway) because he's playing a guy who was just thrown into a world full of stuff to be confused about. Unfortunately, Mr. Reeves, to be an actor you need an emotion count far beyond 1.

I do think by far the best display of Reeves' acting abilities is in the monologue he has in that movie.  You know the, "I will drink..[insert DUN DUN DUN] when I am thirsty!  AND LAUGH AT NO MAN'S LEH-SURE!"

I do have to say that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is fabulous though.  I just think it's so ironic that instead of being typecasted as a moron, Keanu simply ... is!  Brings a whole new meaning to method acting.

As for Total Drama Island-  I had high hopes but alas I don't think it rocks that hard.  Chowder however is a delightful new addition to the 'We're making cartoons during daytime hours for kids that isn't quite really for kids' cartoon thing that the network is doing recently.  Props.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #71 on: 25 Jul 2008, 05:34 »

The only new cartoon that has been made within the past year or so is Flapjack, mostly because it is extremely bizarre and sometimes lightheartedly disquieting.
Hate, rain on me

jessco

« Reply #72 on: 25 Jul 2008, 06:03 »

The most disquieting thing about Flapjack is that freakish 'Candy Wife' they show every now and then.  That thing reminds me of something some serial killer would make out of skin.  And then the man who had a boat powered by the anger of adolescent children? 

It kind of makes you wonder how much further they're going to go on the creep-o-meter without pushing the limits of day time television.  I mean, what exactly is their target audience for these shows?  Considering the time they air the age requirements to fully understand all of the subtleties don't seem to match up.

Soon there'll be a "Silence of the Lambs" cartoon where Young Clarisse tries to jokingly make Young Hannibal stop eating people.  And you know, with a theme song and some super hero suits, it might be pretty cool.  Candy Wife could guest star with Young Jame Gumb as they put some lotion on the skin.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jul 2008, 07:32 »

TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES!  TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU.  AND HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THE WOMEN.

Excellent quote, one of my all time favourites.  I'm pretty sure the quote is "lamentation of their women."
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

jessco

« Reply #74 on: 25 Jul 2008, 10:06 »

Well you gotta give me a break here, I mean, Arnold says THE and THEIR much the same.

In Arnold talk it sounds like he says the lamentation of "THEY" women. 

So I took my best guess. 

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #75 on: 25 Jul 2008, 10:45 »

Funny thing is, it's not even a Conan quote.  It's not in the books at all, actually.  It was originally spoken by Genghis Khan, in the same manner shown in the movie, and is now attached to Conan.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #76 on: 25 Jul 2008, 11:14 »

Ok enough of all your hipster shame.

My guilty pleasure, Johnny I will kill your family if this gets leaked, is Gossip Girl.  I watched it once cause I just saw Accepted and had a total boner for Blake Lively, then ended up watching the whole thing.  I think its cause Im a poor boy that want to live in Manhattan so it kinda speaks to me.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #77 on: 25 Jul 2008, 12:43 »

Poor or not wanting to live in Manhattan is much worse than any TV show.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #78 on: 25 Jul 2008, 14:47 »

I really thought it was cool someone mentioned the Stephanie Meyer series.  That was a guilty pleasure of mine once, as well as the Laurell K. Hamilton series in which the first book was ironically titled, "Guilty Pleasures".

I personally think Hamilton is awesome, miles better than Meyer because her books actually have something genuinely interesting in them.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #79 on: 25 Jul 2008, 15:01 »

Oh my gosh yes, I love this movie but Keanu Reeves is the worst Shakespeare villain ever.

To be fair, Don John is one of the worst Shakespeare villains ever anyway. Regardless of how he's played. IMO

Also, guy who said Batman Beyond. Guilty pleasure? That show was awesome!

My guilty pleasure is probably Star Wars novels. Of any kind. Some aren't so bad, but some are just terrible, and I love them all.

jessco

« Reply #80 on: 25 Jul 2008, 20:02 »

I personally think Hamilton is awesome, miles better than Meyer because her books actually have something genuinely interesting in them.

Well they ONCE did.  Until that "interesting" thing pulled a 180 and just became Vampire/Werewolf slut-smut.  I turned off when the bestiality turned on. 

Maybe that's why I went to the whole Stephanie Meyer thing, because there was a lovely angst yet nothing too overtly sexual.  After all of Hamilton's multi-sex rompcapades, I was ready for something chaste.

And speaking of Meyer, read "The Host", if you like her style but are looking for something more of interest.  However, if it's the sex you want, stick to Hamilton, she will never let you down.  And let's face it, the world always needs more vampire smut!  :laugh:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #81 on: 25 Jul 2008, 20:27 »

As for TV guilt - Total Drama Island on the Teletoon Network....

oh god, me too.  Now that Cartoon Network is showing it here, I am all over it.  I normally hate reality TV Shows, but it being an animated reality show doesn't seem to bother me.    It is the reason I look forward to Thursdays.  An odd thing though is that CN likes to put little warnings in front of it, like the Up A Creak episode they had "Mild Flirtatious Dialogue" every time it came back from commercial.

A comic guilty pleasure - Tiny Titans
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2008, 20:29 by Blue Kitty »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #82 on: 25 Jul 2008, 21:18 »

And speaking of Meyer, read "The Host", if you like her style but are looking for something more of interest.

'The Host', that had so much potential (plot-wise) were it not for that big 250+ page bog of soap-opera wanderering, c wut i did thar and admittedly the quality of Meyer's writing has definitely improved since Twilight's initial release.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
  • The pheasant has no agenda
« Reply #83 on: 26 Jul 2008, 04:07 »

Ummm...

I kinda just remembered my guiltiest pleasure.

Watching videos of people squeezing pus out of abcesses and cysts on youtube. Sure it makes me nauseous after twenty minutes or so but the screams of horror and exclamations of "Dude! That is Sick!" are just completely entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP9P3RQ-roM
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2008, 09:15 by MarkTBSc »
Unique Quarks - For when Antimatter just isn't destructive enough.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #84 on: 26 Jul 2008, 07:34 »

It comforts me to know that pretty much only Canadians will understand...but my guilty pleasure is CTV original programming. Yeah, Instant Star. Degrassi. Other horribly written and acted half-hour less-than-prime-time spots.

Also, someone said something about a radio station broadcasting from the Mod Club in Toronto, and it's definitely 102.1 The Edge, live-to-air thursdays.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #85 on: 26 Jul 2008, 13:59 »

My guilty pleasure, Johnny I will kill your family if this gets leaked, is Gossip Girl.  I watched it once cause I just saw Accepted and had a total boner for Blake Lively, then ended up watching the whole thing.  I think its cause Im a poor boy that want to live in Manhattan so it kinda speaks to me.

I love that show. It's ridiculously entertaining, of course I'm going to watch it.
Liz is touching me.

brandon_ha

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #86 on: 26 Jul 2008, 17:18 »

It comforts me to know that pretty much only Canadians will understand...but my guilty pleasure is CTV original programming. Yeah, Instant Star. Degrassi. Other horribly written and acted half-hour less-than-prime-time spots.

Also, someone said something about a radio station broadcasting from the Mod Club in Toronto, and it's definitely 102.1 The Edge, live-to-air thursdays.

Oh yes. God they still show that "drama" with the deaf FBI agent, when the dogs the best actor on the show, its Canadian.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #87 on: 26 Jul 2008, 19:47 »

Sue Thomas F.B. Eye?  God that show blows!  Total can-con yet set in D.C.?  Just dumb, Ive watched a few epis cause I have 3 channels and its the only thing thats not a soap thats on around the time Im having a bowl of cereal for breakfast.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

jessco

« Reply #88 on: 27 Jul 2008, 13:52 »

And speaking of Meyer, read "The Host", if you like her style but are looking for something more of interest.

'The Host', that had so much potential (plot-wise) were it not for that big 250+ page bog of soap-opera wanderering, c wut i did thar and admittedly the quality of Meyer's writing has definitely improved since Twilight's initial release.

Speaking of Twilight, comic-con released the poster/pictures of the new movie coming out in December.
Meet the Cullens.

It's Cedric Diggory!

nkb.tamoot

« Reply #89 on: 02 Aug 2008, 09:58 »

I've got the girly animes (princess tutu), the girly shows (gossip girl)
..and back in the day sailor moon and cardcaptors kicked loads of ass imo

CursedMortivore

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Creepy lurker.
« Reply #90 on: 02 Aug 2008, 21:01 »

I got one for you guys. I just finished three seasons of Gilmore Girls in one week. And I'm a guy.

Could someone point me to the office where I turn in my guy card? Well, it's not so bad because the main females of the show are quite attractive which is part of why I watch it.
"Fight fire with fire? You should fight everything with fire!" - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #91 on: 02 Aug 2008, 22:46 »

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #92 on: 02 Aug 2008, 22:55 »

The Twilight series, as mentioned in other threads and Le Gabbly. They are so addicting.
Liz is touching me.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #93 on: 03 Aug 2008, 02:35 »

I just read Breaking Dawn. My verdict: Pretty Okay, not more or less hokey than the first three books. Also geez people on the internet can be kinda awful when they dislike a book (MISSUS MEYER YOU ARE NOT JK ROWLING AND YOU NEVER WILL BEEEEE)
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008, 02:37 by ruyi »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #94 on: 03 Aug 2008, 03:38 »

I just finished reading Ten Little Niggers by Agatha Christie. It was a brilliant and thrilling novel. On Saturday night I finished reading the non-fiction book Lionheart by Jesse Martin, as I finished it Shearwater's Red Sea, Black Sea reached it's crescendo and I felt utterly triumphant. I had to read it for English and it was dreadfully boring and poorly written book. A biography without scandal is like bread without flour and to try and spice the book up Martin had to talk incessantly about the joys of wandering around one's yacht in the nude and how one had to be ever so careful to not "get something caught" in the rigging and write things like "WOOO HOOOO, YEAH" [sic] to recapture the sense of adventure and fun.
Also, I totally understand what you're getting at there Ruyi (JEEZ JAMES PATTERSON, YOU'RE NOT AGATHA CHRISTIE. QUIT TRYING TO BE AN EDGIER VERSION OF HER AS WELL. U 2BIT CRIME WRITER ONLY FIT 4 THE DUMB HOUSE WIFE'S CONSUMPTION)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #95 on: 03 Aug 2008, 03:43 »

I just read Breaking Dawn.

cathy i respect you

please don't do this
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #96 on: 03 Aug 2008, 07:35 »

Ten Little hi i am an ignorant fucktard, please ban mes

Hehe...did you forget about the word filter?
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #97 on: 03 Aug 2008, 11:17 »

cathy i respect you

please don't do this

but it's about true love, man

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #98 on: 03 Aug 2008, 11:22 »

Ten Little hi i am an ignorant fucktard, please ban mes

I'm not even sure why you chose to refer to it by this title. I never knew it by that title, and the title hasn't been used in America for 68 years.

Edit: Oh wait you're Australian. I guess there's only 28 years of having a reasonable name there.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008, 11:31 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #99 on: 03 Aug 2008, 11:25 »

cathy i respect you

please don't do this