THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures  (Read 36326 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #100 on: 03 Aug 2008, 15:20 »

Ten Little hi i am an ignorant fucktard, please ban mes

Hehe...did you forget about the word filter?

Honest to GSD, word filter?

I'm not even sure why you chose to refer to it by this title. I never knew it by that title, and the title hasn't been used in America for 68 years.

Edit: Oh wait you're Australian. I guess there's only 28 years of having a reasonable name there.

I read an old edition, like 35 years old and I wasn't being at all rascist. It genuinely wass the name of the book and contextually there was nothing wrong with naming it as such, people need to stop being so overly sensitive. I'm sure Christie didn't sit down thinking "Yeah /viggers, I don't like them they are an inferior race. I will write a story in which the word is used a fair number of times and the main chrarcters will drop off like the /viggers in a certain poem."
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008, 15:28 by n0t_r0bert_b0yle!! »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #101 on: 03 Aug 2008, 15:39 »

Nothing wrong with naming it as such at all.

Which is why the name was changed to Ten Little Indians and then And Then There Were None 20 years before the civil rights movement even started and no one refers to it as such anymore.

Clearly, there was nothing wrong with it or the poem.

I mean, this isn't Huckleberry Finn, where use of the word is relevant to the setting and theme. The use of the word is irrelevant t the novel, as evidenced by how quickly and easily it was removed. Why bother referring to it as such?
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2008, 15:42 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #102 on: 03 Aug 2008, 15:59 »

That was a terrific book, the only other Agatha Christie book I've read is Murder on the Orient Express. It was interesting, but didn't really compare to And Then There Were Ten Little Indian Boys That Took the Place of the Black Ones.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

CursedMortivore

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Creepy lurker.
« Reply #103 on: 03 Aug 2008, 16:17 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4DEdUmA6A

Just for you, guy above me.

Wow, that commercial is great. I wish I could be so lucky to have Mr. T drive through a building to shoot snickers at me from a modified gatling gun.
"Fight fire with fire? You should fight everything with fire!" - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

jessco

« Reply #104 on: 04 Aug 2008, 04:38 »

I just read Breaking Dawn.

cathy i respect you

please don't do this

I did it too.

My bad.

A friend of mine just reviewed the series for me and I thought her analysis was pretty accurate.  (This is a shortened excerpt)

and bella! ugh what a fucking bitch! she has no personality whatsoever. i mean i realize smeyer wrote bella as an extension of herself and as a blank character for other girls to imprint themselves on but this is how she is: "i'm bella waaaaaaaaaah i dont wanna move away waaaaaaaaaah i'm so self sacrificing waaaaaaaaaah i am never gonna make any friends waaaaaaaaaaah wait, why are these people in my high school being nice to me and actually showing interest waaaaaaaaaaah fine i'd rather not make any friends waaaaaaaaaaah why is jacob mad at me when all i did was give him false hope waaaaaaaaah why is edward not mad at me when he knows i love jacob too waaaaaaaaaaaaaah why is alice being so sweet to me and taking care of me and i cant even say thank you waaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

and edward! you'd get a restraining order on his ass in real life! fucking stalker watches you while you sleep cuts your breaks to keep you from driving other places where he cant be mentally attuned to you at all times psycho!

and i still LOVE HIM.

seriously these books are such shit and i love them so guiltily and so much and i HATE IT.

And that's about how I feel as well.

Woo hoo Breaking Dawn here I come!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #105 on: 04 Aug 2008, 15:38 »

The similarities between that review and the conversation I had with my cousin 3 months back are uncanny.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #106 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:05 »

The Soup(on the E! channel) is probably my biggest one.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

akashacatbat

« Reply #107 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:32 »

The movie Ravenous is one of my guilty pleasures. It's sorta schizophrenic, because the studio fired the original director two weeks into it. Studio wanted it to be a dark comedy, while all the actors and original director just wanted it to be dark. But it's got Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle and is about cannibalism and has a very loud and in-your-face musical score.

Also, I *love* the first season of Digimon. I watched the whole thing over the course of a couple of days when I was sick with a really bad flu (fever, aches, unable to put anything but clear liquids into my body) and it was, like, the best thing ever.

I am also a bit of a masochist, as I LOVE to read Paolini's Inheritence books. If you haven't read them, take the plot of Star Wars, set it in Middle Earth, add a sociopath Gary-Stu as the main "hero", throw in several Deus Ex Machinas and record it all with horridly purple prose. That's basically "Eragon". "Eldest" is largely about Eragon watching ants and doing yoga and writing really awful poetry. I can't wait for "Brisnger". I actually buy the books, too, because I love to attack the writing with highlighters and red pens.

I can't get into my musical guilty pleasure, because I'm pretty sure I'll be banned from the forums for life.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #108 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:37 »

is it MCR? HIM? Different retarded acronym?
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

akashacatbat

« Reply #109 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:42 »

is it MCR? HIM? Different retarded acronym?

Maybe. But I don't wanna be banned.

Jinjo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #110 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:49 »

I love Kung Fu movies.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #111 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:50 »

you are not going to get banned, just mocked and verbally sodomized until your brain shrivels into a dusty mound of agony.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #112 on: 08 Aug 2008, 22:12 »

I reckon it's A7X.

akashacatbat

« Reply #113 on: 08 Aug 2008, 22:37 »

It's much worse than either of those. And that's all I'm going to say unless someone actually mentions the correct answer, because I read something about the n00bs keeping their posts low and I am nothing if not compliant.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #114 on: 08 Aug 2008, 22:53 »

Shame on you! where is your rebellious and hateful spirit? Tell us and consequences be damned*!

* Until it blows up in your face, of course.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #115 on: 08 Aug 2008, 23:29 »

Its kinda silly to make a post about not posting.  Also its Evanescence isnt it?
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #116 on: 09 Aug 2008, 00:23 »

It's much worse than either of those. And that's all I'm going to say unless someone actually mentions the correct answer, because I read something about the n00bs keeping their posts low and I am nothing if not compliant.

The Other Fun Things subfora are usually where the more normal or nicer people are. Basically, unlike the main subfora we will not disembowel you and don't feel the need to speak in 1337.

akashacatbat

« Reply #117 on: 09 Aug 2008, 02:02 »

Fine. Since I am totally trashed out of my mind, I will reveal my guilty musical pleasure.

IT IS THE BACKSTREET BOYS, AKA "BSB".

In my defense, I totally missed out on the "New Kids On the Block" phenomena, since I was listening to mainly 60s music at the time. Also, I was totally crazy (ala Hanners) during most of my high school years, which was when BSB were popular.

Even though I now realize the magnitude of my sin, I still have a soft spot for the "band" that kept me from going completely off the deep end during my teenage years.

Commence mockery and/or banning.

hipster jesus

« Reply #118 on: 09 Aug 2008, 02:49 »

Well, as long as we're on the subject of bands, here's one of mine:

Bon Jovi, and I don't mean this like "Yeah, they're kinda good, I guess." I mean I have four of their albums. Actually, I like hair metal in general. Does that make me a bad person?

akashacatbat

« Reply #119 on: 09 Aug 2008, 02:59 »

Definitely not. I love "Livin' on a Prayer", and a lot of other songs as well.

But then, who am I to judge? ;)

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #120 on: 09 Aug 2008, 09:28 »

One of my music guilty pleasures--Jimmy Buffet.

Yes.

brandon_ha

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #121 on: 10 Aug 2008, 21:19 »

Wow, this thread just got really......sad.
Yeah punctuation sure is pretty pretentious. Look how fucking pretentious this post is, all with two periods and a comma.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #122 on: 10 Aug 2008, 21:23 »

Miss Vinyl, I used to think you might be pretty awesome.

WHY DID YOU BREAK MY HEART?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #123 on: 10 Aug 2008, 21:25 »

Women like that only aim to heart people, just move on, child.

jessco

« Reply #124 on: 11 Aug 2008, 06:27 »

Miss Vinyl, I used to think you might be pretty awesome.

WHY DID YOU BREAK MY HEART?

Suddenly five boys come out of no where, wearing way too much hair spray, billowy satin shirts, the wind is blowing (they're inside).

And their arms open wide as sweet, sweet harmonies come out of their mouths and you swear you'd never hurt them if they were yours.

If only you'd give them your heart they'd take you to the beach, an outfit change, and a montage of sushi eating, frolicking in the waves, then steamy make outs right where the waves break (yet water does NOT go up their noses).

If only you wouldn't break their heart.

I used to love N'Sync...

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #125 on: 11 Aug 2008, 15:36 »

The band the Cult. They were often thoroughly ridiculous but I like some of their songs anyway.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2008, 15:37 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #126 on: 11 Aug 2008, 15:49 »

I've said this before but I sometimes enjoy MSI. I'm pretty sure this makes me a masochist of some nature. But this is talk for the music forum.

Also I enjoyed the Eragon books when they came out. But I was also like, 13. And I was a really lame 13 year old.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

jessco

« Reply #127 on: 12 Aug 2008, 07:55 »

Speaking of the books, I finally watched the Eragon movie the other day.

And I was actually kind of into it!

Then the ending happened sort of like a drive by, and I was left on the couch with a big ole WTF!?!  on my forehead.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #128 on: 12 Aug 2008, 22:27 »

I'm sorry. I just know that I can't take no more.

That ain't no lie.

I want to see you out that door.

Baby,

Bye

Bye

Bye

(I do not care if it's the wrong band.)
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ellemnop

« Reply #129 on: 13 Aug 2008, 03:24 »

i loved those "archie" comics.... and facebook.

facebook is definitely a guilty pleasure.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #130 on: 14 Aug 2008, 00:46 »

I watch Sex and the City religiously. (I like to re-watch series.)

I also watched every single episode of Friends when I was in high school.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up