THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon Age  (Read 156461 times)

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
Re: Dragon Age
« Reply #400 on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:24 »

So I think my next go 'round I'm going to work on having an 'evil' party.   Just basically tell everyone to eff themselves, ask all the "what's in it for me" questions, and kill babies at every opportunity.   My thought is I'll do a mage that focuses on healing since annoying-ass Wynne will be out of the question, using Zevran for Rogue type things, probably keeping Morrigan around for crowd control, but who to tank?   I've only been using Allister and I know I'll annoy the piss out of him so.... Sten? Shale? Ohgren?  Who is going to make the better tank that I won't chase off by being  a douche bag to everyone?

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #401 on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:32 »

Probably Shale, since she thinks she's superior to damn near everybody.  Just make sure there are no birds in your party.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #402 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:02 »

Sten is a likely choice too, since he doesn't give a shit about anything but killing. I mean, I still don't know anything about his backstory but he was found meditating in a farm house surrounded by six mutilated corpses.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #403 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:05 »

It's the classic story:  Boy loses sword to darkspawn, boy meets family, boy butchers family in a murderous rage, boy shows no remorse, boy gets sword back and uses it to kill 10^23 darkspawn in underground tunnels.  Classic.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #404 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:07 »

Sten is a likely choice too, since he doesn't give a shit about anything but killing. I mean, I still don't know anything about his backstory but he was found meditating in a farm house surrounded by six mutilated corpses.

I mentioned cookies to him and got 44 approval. Sten is secretly the cookie monster.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #405 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:09 »

Sten is definitely not a partner for an evil playthrough. He has a pretty strong moral compass and isn't afraid to speak up about it. I don't know if it'd ever reach a point where he'd up and leave as a result of the main character being a dick, but his approval rating drops like a rock if you step out of line at all.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #406 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:17 »

I'm guessing that Ohgren is your best bet. He seems mean enough.

I've only ever tanked with Allistair and Shale, and I've not cared much for any of the others, so I can't really help you. Dog, perhaps, but he's kinda sucky at later levels, so I wouldn't go for that one.

Has anyone here experimented with the passive buff mode for Shale? I've used him as tank mostly and partially basher if Allistair is there with him, but the throwing mode and passive mode seems interesting. If a party with Shale in maxed buff mode has the same damage output and survivability as a party with an extra mage or rouge, it'll help keep micro-management down.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #407 on: 19 Jan 2010, 12:51 »

IT'S SPELLED ROGUE

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #408 on: 19 Jan 2010, 12:58 »

Once upon a time, I would have found caps excessive in such a situation, but that was before I played a rogue in WoW for several years. These days, I'm up front lighting torches and passing out pitchforks.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #409 on: 19 Jan 2010, 13:01 »

Your mother is spelled rouge.

HAH!

(grumblenotfirstlanguagegrumble)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #410 on: 19 Jan 2010, 14:46 »

Also,

SHALE IS A GIRL GOD FUCKING DAMNIT.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #411 on: 20 Jan 2010, 00:00 »

You don't find that out until you do some of their quest line, which people who don't really give a fuck about Shale probs don't do.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #412 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:58 »

I mentioned cookies to him and got 44 approval. Sten is secretly the cookie monster.

Sten has some hilarious dialogue involving cookies.  In one scene he talks about stealing cookies from a little kid because the kid was fat.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #413 on: 21 Jan 2010, 12:27 »

So, I beat it as elf mage, and now playing through as a city elf rogue.

The origin story is fucked up. Its kinda depressing.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #414 on: 21 Jan 2010, 14:34 »

aw man that's one of the only origin stories I haven't played yet, but really wanted to.

must....resist...urge....to....start new game.....urrrgghhhh......
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #415 on: 21 Jan 2010, 16:49 »

You don't even need to start a new game.  All of the origins are worth running thru.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #416 on: 21 Jan 2010, 17:16 »

Killing the high dragon is worth doing.

Mein Tumblr

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #417 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:16 »

Hell yeah.  I just did that the other day.  All was going ok, but then Alistair died due to me getting mixed up as to who got chomped on.  Then my offtank died pretty quickly after that, but somehow I managed to nuke the crap out of it with my mage & Morrigan just before it got to raspberry jam us.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #418 on: 22 Jan 2010, 11:46 »

Wait. Which high dragon are we talking about here? Because I know there is at least two. Or are we talking about the archdemon?

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #419 on: 22 Jan 2010, 14:00 »

Yeah, I didn't even know about the High Dragon my first play through. This time I'm using a walkthrough 'cause I want to get through the game fast and it was all like "bang the gong and kill the High Dragon" and I'm like "wtf is the High Drag... *bong* OH SHIT DUDE!" and got the dragon scale and had that dude make me some dragon scale armour. Alistair's rockin' pretty hard now.

And holy hell but an Arcane Warrior is all kinds of awesome. She sucks at attacking, but I got my tiny-ass elf mage to wear the juggernaut armor. She looks badass, especially with that unique Arcane Warrior sword. Gotta get her a better shield, though - all she has is a heavy metal kite shield right now. She's all like *slice* *MISS* *dice* *hack* *slash* BOOM FIREBALL, MIND BLAST, CONE OF COLD, *slice*

And man, I'm in Orzamaar right now (did Mage Tower, then Redcliffe, then Breccilian Forest, now Orzamaar) and I'm in the deep roads (Ortan Thaig, etc.) WITHOUT Oghren. I didn't know you could do that. I was dreading having to replace Alistair with him, 'cause he's a 2H'er and Alistair's a 1h+Shield tank, and he's got awesome armour and accessories and I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of switching everything between the two characters, but I guess I don't have to. Pretty awesome. (I've not gotten to Broodmother yet, nor the Anvil, so I don't know if I'm going to have to replace him, but I'll get to that when I get to that.)
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #420 on: 22 Jan 2010, 14:01 »

Wait. Which high dragon are we talking about here? Because I know there is at least two. Or are we talking about the archdemon?

The one near the Urn of Ashes

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #421 on: 22 Jan 2010, 14:03 »

And man, I'm in Orzamaar right now (did Mage Tower, then Redcliffe, then Breccilian Forest, now Orzamaar) and I'm in the deep roads (Ortan Thaig, etc.) WITHOUT Oghren. I didn't know you could do that. I was dreading having to replace Alistair with him, 'cause he's a 2H'er and Alistair's a 1h+Shield tank, and he's got awesome armour and accessories and I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of switching everything between the two characters, but I guess I don't have to. Pretty awesome. (I've not gotten to Broodmother yet, nor the Anvil, so I don't know if I'm going to have to replace him, but I'll get to that when I get to that.)

I didn't know that either!

Mein Tumblr

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #422 on: 22 Jan 2010, 14:53 »

You don't need Oghren until the final part.  Don't forget to use Shale for that part as well or you miss a fairly lucrative dungeon.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #423 on: 22 Jan 2010, 15:05 »

If you just talk to Shale afterwards, you can get her quest as well. If you side with Branka, Shale will leave. Since I wanted dwarves and golems to fight with me, I sided with Branka, and then just talked to Shale afterwards, and got her quest.

mberan42

« Reply #424 on: 26 Jan 2010, 14:12 »

I can't get Shale. I don't have Xbox Live.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #425 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:42 »

I finished the game last night.  To be honest, after the High Dragon I expected the final fight to be harder.  It was mostly just annoying getting through the city and up the tower to the main event, then once there it was a bit of a yawn.  The ending was a little bit "AND THEN EVERYONE LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER!  OH, EXCEPT THAT ONE GUY - HE DIED" and I was kind of hoping for something with a little more substance after the overall darkness of the game up until that point.

Then after I was done I went back in and made a female dorf named Jason, gave her horrible makeup & a countenance the result of which makes her look like a short ugly dude with fake tits in a dress.  I am gonna romance everyone with it.  It's gonna be so awesome.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #426 on: 27 Jan 2010, 15:56 »

When was the last time you got wowed by a final boss fight, anyhow? Honestly.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #427 on: 27 Jan 2010, 16:03 »

I was gonna say Demon's Souls but, ironically enough, I'm pretty sure I got owned by every boss except the last boss, who's ass I actually kicked quite easily.

remember Legend of Dragoon?

The final boss for that game was fucking cruel. He had a bajillion hit points and when you finally got rid of them all he would just transform into another form. I'm not sure how many forms there were, but I'm pretty sure there were at least three or four. I think I spent an hour and a half or so on that boss, only to have my mom shut off my Playstation because I had been on for too long and she wanted to watch the news or something.

I never tried it again.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

mberan42

« Reply #428 on: 28 Jan 2010, 15:09 »

I never beat Link's Adventure for the NES. Got past Shadow Link, but could never beat that final guy. I think that's the last time I was wow'd by a final boss.

torontoguy2k8

• Plantmonster
« Reply #429 on: 28 Jan 2010, 18:16 »

I always found my elf mage to be incredibly OP.
I think my favorite Shale moment is when we're leaving town and the camera pans after you see the chicken, you hear the stomp and the squak, party looks and shale and she just does this really casual "meh" shrug. I couldn't stop laughing.

As for rogues, believe it or not, I play my rogue purely as an archer. I barely ever touch my daggers at all. I've just always preferred ranged combat over in close.

I did the final boss first play through on normal and I swear to god that thing was annoying to me. Took a few tries to get it. Purple fire hurts @_@

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #430 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:20 »

When was the last time you got wowed by a final boss fight, anyhow? Honestly.

The vaginaboss in Borderlands took me ages to kill.  If it didn't have such a pissweak "just respawn and keep fighting" gameplay ethos I would have been Fucked.  Also, the original boss of Titan Quest (Typhon?) was pretty hard.

It's just that it wasn't really even a challenge.  None of my dudes were ever in danger of dying.  I deployed the Redcliff guys because they said they were good against armoured targets, but then hardly any of those guys died either.  Then after a while I sort of said "ok fuck this" and used my dudes to shoot ballistae at the dragon until it was almost dead.  I honestly had more trouble with the last bit of the city leading up to the tower, where you are corralled in the area with all the archers and the two or three darkspawn mages.  I had to call in the elves to help me out with that.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #431 on: 31 Jan 2010, 09:12 »

Woop, just starting to play this game now. Gotta finish this before I can justify buying any new games. I'm going to do it old-school: a nice, simple human warrior, just as I did in my first ever fantasy RPG.  Wait, a forty-five page manual?! Okay, maybe not so simple as I thought...

Having to install all those add-ons and bonuses is a bit annoying, though. You have to wait for the files to download, you have to wait for the game to install, then you have to claim your bonuses and wait until the game picks up on them, and finally you have to wait until it downloads all of them. Before you have even clicked the 'New game' button. Rrrrgh.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

mberan42

« Reply #432 on: 31 Jan 2010, 15:21 »

BULL. SHIT.

I spent ALL game buttering up Alistair so that I can rule with him after I killed Loghain at the Landsmeet. Broke it off with Leliana (never did sleep with her), broke it off with Zevran. Got him to fall in love with me, yadda yadda yadda.

So after I killed Loghain I was all like (persuade) Alistair and I will rule together! Mwa hah hah! And he's all like "no way, chica, you're not of noble blood, they won't accept you." And I'm all like "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU".

Total bullshit. So if you want to rule with Alistair, make sure you're a human noble, not an elf. Total horsecrap. So disappointed right now.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #433 on: 31 Jan 2010, 20:48 »

Yeah, I found that out after becoming super buddies with Alister. I was a little heartbroken. But me and Zevran are gonna make elf babies so whatevs.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #434 on: 06 Feb 2010, 09:26 »

Since my last post I've gone through the intro missions and went from Lothering (Lotharing?) to Redcliffe and did all the quests there. Some things of note: Combat is complicated as hell. The tactics for abilities are somewhat stupid because for every time you want to use a slot to activate it, you need another slot to deactivate it. That fills them up fast enough. I'd prefer to use one for both activate and deactivate.

The absence of a karma system is a welcome change so far. Contrary to many other choice-based RPGs, being the asshole makes things easier for you. The tavern in Redcliffe, for example. I threatened to kill the owner, he made me the boss, I subsequently gain one sovereign (is that what they call gold pieces nowadays?) and the whole of the shop's inventory, then I turned over ownership to the barmaid, who pays me three sovereigns for it, and I walk out a richer man. Hooray! On the other hand, it makes doing good deeds for the sake of them less rewarding, in the literal sense. I was left with nothing after completing the Last Will and Testament quest.

Can anyone tell me if there is a higher reward involved for not killing Connor and defeating the demon in the Fade? I killed Connor now, and I was wondering if it's worth going back and visit to the Circle Tower to save him.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #435 on: 06 Feb 2010, 10:36 »

i guess you'll find out at the landsmeet!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Candle

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #436 on: 07 Feb 2010, 18:55 »

just smoked some cheeb and beat Dragon Age listening to an awesome live version of sleep dopesmoker

pretty sure there is no better song to kill an undead, demonic dragon motherfucker to.

spoilers ensue:

didn't get to be King because i fucked up and forgot to make hook-ups with Anora before the landsmeet. womp womp
oh well, least i get to have the ending of being some lone wandering hero guy

the genlock conjurer was harder than the arch demon, for me.
like est said, pretty much a simple final-boss-- none of my guys even nearly died iirc. that said, flemmeth was a BITCH to kill. maybe after killing flemmeth and the urn of sacred ashes dragon i was already used to dragon bosses. idk?

it would have been cooler if they dropped the darkspawn mobs that spawn half-way through the fight and instead made the arch-demon itself pack more of a punch.

might pick up me2 and play through that before awakening hits shelves.

« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2010, 19:12 by Candle »

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #437 on: 07 Feb 2010, 22:44 »

See for me Flemmeth was really easy and the arch demon was fucking hard.

I'm having a hard time keeping aggro with my arcane warrior.  Any tips?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #438 on: 08 Feb 2010, 02:40 »

Don't aggro with a guy with no aggro skills. That's my go at it - taunt and threathen is the shit against big bosses.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #439 on: 08 Feb 2010, 08:36 »

Yeah, you don't want your arcane warrior to be doing aggro unless you really like using injury kits.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #440 on: 11 Mar 2010, 14:10 »

Bioware hinted at GDC that Dragon Age 2 would be dropping in Feb of 2011. Sounds about right.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #441 on: 11 Mar 2010, 21:46 »

So it's basically the Max Payne model. Take 5 years to develop the first game, then churn out the sequel in a year.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #442 on: 11 Mar 2010, 21:54 »

A lot of games are like that, mainly because of engine building. A real, proper, functioning engine from scratch requires at least a year and a half of focused effort, usually 2 or 3.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #443 on: 11 Mar 2010, 23:40 »

Yeah, I know. I was just being snide.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #444 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:17 »

Two years, Byran you dick.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #445 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:18 »

Also - and I just want to be clear - are you dissing Bioware for making sequels more quickly?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #446 on: 12 Mar 2010, 12:00 »

Dragon Age came out in November of 2009. If Dragon Age 2 comes out in February of 2011, that makes it 15 months since the release of the first game.

And no, that's not a diss of their current development cycle, it's more of me mocking how it took them 6 years to finally get the first game finished. Although I do think that Mass Effect 2 makes it a lot harder for me to go back to Dragon Age in retrospect.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #447 on: 12 Mar 2010, 13:50 »

ME2 is just a superior game all around to basically any other action RPG ever.

I can't play ME1, FO3, or Dragon Age anymore just because they're not ME2.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #448 on: 12 Mar 2010, 14:13 »

Yeah, I'm with ya on that one, Ozy.

I mean, I could go back and play F3 because it's just different enough to not quite be comparable, but I traded in Dragon Age (without even ever beating the damn thing!) because I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to it.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #449 on: 12 Mar 2010, 14:28 »

Alrighty, so I should play those first before I play ME2 so I don't ruin them for myself?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up