THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon Age  (Read 156391 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Dragon Age
« Reply #450 on: 12 Mar 2010, 15:51 »

Depends. ME2 and Dragon Age are very different games. ME2 is a a third-person action RPG. Dragon Age is a traditional party-based tactical RPG. I like ME2 more than DA not because I think it's a better RPG in some sort of technical sense, but because I found the setting and plot of Dragon Age to be pretty boring, and I strongly disliked the party influence system, which has been compared by a lot of people to a dating sim. In terms of sheer stimulation ME2 is more involved. But your actual preference may result from whether you like sci-fi or fantasy more (I like the former), whether you like to control your entire party or just your main character, whether you like third-person shooter combat or more tactical combat, whether you like full VA for the player character, etc.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2010, 15:56 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #451 on: 12 Mar 2010, 16:08 »

That's what put me off of DA in comparison to ME most significantly: it felt really really weird to have my character not say anything anymore. I know that the potential player characters in DA are much more diverse than ME, but I think that having the main character be fully voiced adds a huge amount to those games.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #452 on: 12 Mar 2010, 17:46 »

and I strongly disliked the party influence system, which has been compared by a lot of people to a dating sim.

I just started playing Dragon Age yesterday, and have quickly become frustrated with the withering looks I get from Morrigan every time I rescue a cat from a tree and what not.  You'd think this is something she'd get used to, but no, whenever I try and do something nice for someone else she takes it as some kind of personal insult.

I like the idea of the mechanic more than I like its actual execution.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #453 on: 12 Mar 2010, 18:43 »

I don't really mind an influence system, in fact I think it's something that more RPGs ought to implement. It's just that the "gifting" mechanic is specifically designed to, if gamed just right, essentially cancel out whatever mistakes you might actually have to feel the consequences of w/r/t influence. The only characters who weren't at +85 influence with me at the end of the game were the characters I didn't even bother with - the old woman, the stoic giant, and the fey elf.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #454 on: 13 Mar 2010, 05:48 »

and I strongly disliked the party influence system, which has been compared by a lot of people to a dating sim.

I just started playing Dragon Age yesterday, and have quickly become frustrated with the withering looks I get from Morrigan every time I rescue a cat from a tree and what not.  You'd think this is something she'd get used to, but no, whenever I try and do something nice for someone else she takes it as some kind of personal insult.

I like the idea of the mechanic more than I like its actual execution.

Don't worry, she'll soften up eventually. You get a lot of crap from her in Lothering but for the rest she won't nag on you as much. Besides, it doesn't matter much what they think of your actions, because that'll be nullified by what you can gain in gifts and camp dialogue. Just tell them what they like to hear. I've been playing like the pope would and I romanced Morrigan nonetheless.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #455 on: 13 Mar 2010, 10:01 »

playing like the pope would

Does this mean killing every mage you come over? Since that's what the pope would do, if he hadn't just burned the DVD in the first place.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #456 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:00 »

Also is this game supposed to be incredibly hard, because I am dying at least one for every single goddamn fight.

For some of the bigger encounters I just end up lowering the difficulty to easy, and the difference between that and normal is just so big it's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2010, 12:02 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #457 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:19 »

Not getting killed all the time takes a hefty amount of strategy and requires you to greatly consider the makeup of your party and the way you distribute attributes and skills.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #458 on: 13 Mar 2010, 20:52 »

Well that explains it then, because my "strategy" usually consists of stabbin' stuff in the back as my main dude and switching to my party only for the purpose of healing.

Guess I'd better get acquainted with combat tactic slots and whatnot.

But damned if that quest to get the urn of Andraste's ashes didn't include one of the hardest dungeons I've ever had to get through in a video game.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #459 on: 13 Mar 2010, 20:56 »

Oh it wasn't that hard.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #460 on: 13 Mar 2010, 20:59 »

If you think that's hard then you're fucked when you get back outside.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #461 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:12 »

Hey, there's a patch out for Dragon Age. It's supposed to fix the long load times. The load times ARRRGGGGHHHH

Well that explains it then, because my "strategy" usually consists of stabbin' stuff in the back as my main dude and switching to my party only for the purpose of healing.

Guess I'd better get acquainted with combat tactic slots and whatnot.

But damned if that quest to get the urn of Andraste's ashes didn't include one of the hardest dungeons I've ever had to get through in a video game.

You've got Wynne, right? It's easier to just set healing and buffing to auto in the tactics. Heal, Group Heal, Regenerate, Rejuvenate, Heroic Offense, there are enough slots to fill up with all those abilities so you don't have to issue any orders. Myself, I chose only the Spirit Healer and the two top rows of Creation spells for healing and the rest for offensive and mana spells.

A question: Did any of you actively craft and use balms, poisons and traps in combat? I never saw any use in them, and I only used Morrigan's herbalism for health and mana potions. Frostrocks and deathroots and glamour charms were just crap clogging up my inventory, and the only instances where I used poison coating was with Zevran, just because I had to do something with all of them. It made things die slightly quicker but it was never the deciding factor.

Also: I thought it was pretty funny that the Denerim guards were fooled by my guard disguise, but remained completely oblivious to my glowing blue and lightning arcing starmetal sword and Redcliffe shield.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #462 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:23 »

As a melee rogue, poisons can make a lot of difference.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #463 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:55 »

You've got Wynne, right?

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh...

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #464 on: 14 Mar 2010, 12:16 »

uuuuh?

Are you doing Andraste's ashes before you've finished the alliance quests? Unless the "Uuuuuhhhh" is about "why should I care about an old bitch", you should go to the tower of magi first. A healer npc is neeeeeded for this game, so if you have her, use her, or respec Morrigan if you only want one mage around.

You also need to know how to tank, how to crowd control, and how to prioritize whom to target. After that, things get fairly easy.

And if you're having troubles with the dungeon before the ashes, you won't have a chance in hell against the boss.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #465 on: 14 Mar 2010, 15:31 »

You also need to know how to tank, how to crowd control, and how to prioritize whom to target. After that, things get fairly easy.

I have no idea what you just said, but in spite of that I was able to hold my own in combat fairly well. You learn as you go.

Anyway, I just finished the game as a male human noble warrior with shield skills and templar/champion specializations. Man, did that make an awesome looking character: Warden Commander Armor set, Helm of Honnleath, Starfang and Duncan's Shield. I have to say, when you've spent half the game fighting undead, werewolves and demons, the darkspawn can be crushed like bugs. The archdemon gave me a bit of trouble, it killed Wynne, Morrigan and Zevran but I was able to finish him off on my own because I spammed crafting health potions earlier. The rest of the darkspawn that it summoned would have given me more trouble if the archdemon didn't keep killing them himself, so I could easily take out the remaining 1/6 of its health with regular attacks and Holy Smite.

Well, that was fun. Maybe I'll replay it in a year or two, I'd like to do a Dwarf commoner rogue or an elf mage.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #466 on: 14 Mar 2010, 15:37 »

I have no idea what you just said, but in spite of that I was able to hold my own in combat fairly well.

It means to ignore that silly cunt with the shield until everyone with pajamas, 2 handers or dual wielding is already dead.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #467 on: 15 Mar 2010, 13:39 »

So I've been familiarizing myself with the elements of combat that aren't using special attacks 'til the stamina well runs dry and pressing A repeatedly.  It's created a noticeable increase in my ability to not die.

Also, I have Wynn now.  She is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #468 on: 15 Mar 2010, 15:06 »

She gets better.

Then better again.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #469 on: 15 Mar 2010, 15:15 »

I gave her Mana Clash, holy damn.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #470 on: 15 Mar 2010, 22:13 »

i actually don't use Wynne at all, i gave Morrigan the spirit healer spec for mass healing and she serves me better. Plus Wynne is an unbearably boring character to have in yr party
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #471 on: 15 Mar 2010, 23:00 »

Well, only if you never hear her talking to Zevran. Or Oghren.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #472 on: 16 Mar 2010, 15:43 »

Zevran and Wynne is the best combo ever. She's quite funny with Allistair as well, although it gets a bit bizarre when they two minutes after slaughtering their way through thirty bandits start talking about if she can iron his shirts. I guess you get kinda used to killing after a couple of hundreds, but that used to it?

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #473 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:27 »

I'm about 30 minutes into Awakening and already bored.  Does it get substantially better?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #474 on: 19 Mar 2010, 14:54 »

Okay, so I just bought DA:O (Windows) through Steam. When I tried installing it on my Windows partition of my MacBook Pro 15" I was told that the launcher had "failed to detect a supported video card."
I know that my graphics card (NVIDA GeForce 9400m) is totally compatible - has something happened during the partition, have I not installed a driver or something?
What can I do to fix this?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #475 on: 19 Mar 2010, 15:31 »

you're gonna need some goat's blood and at least 2 black candles with wicks made of virgin hair

the Necronomicon is optional, but couldn't hurt*

*nah, it's totally going to hurt.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #476 on: 19 Mar 2010, 15:36 »

Okay, so I just bought DA:O (Windows) through Steam. When I tried installing it on my Windows partition of my MacBook Pro 15" I was told that the launcher had "failed to detect a supported video card."
I know that my graphics card (NVIDA GeForce 9400m) is totally compatible - has something happened during the partition, have I not installed a driver or something?
What can I do to fix this?
Any help would be much appreciated.
First things first, go online and get the latest drivers. Go into the device manager and see what display adapters are listed there. Go to "screen resolution" and see what's listed. Beyond that I have no idea.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #477 on: 19 Mar 2010, 16:41 »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #478 on: 19 Mar 2010, 16:44 »

Noooooo never let a website scan your computer. Nevar.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #479 on: 19 Mar 2010, 17:15 »

Relax, I didn't.

Anyways, so I stopped to think a moment and realised that I could just insert the OSX installation disk. Unsurprisingly, it worked.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #480 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:44 »

Free shield for Dragon Age PC.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/event/dragon-age-giveaway/

The only drawback is you have to sign up for an Alienware email account thing.  (Everyone should have a junkmail email account by now anyways)

Man I have gotten a TON of free stuff for Dragon age.  Has there been anything else that came out with the free expansion?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #481 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:54 »

Sorry, this promotion is not open to your region.

Well, it's not like I was going to use it any time soon. You do get a ludicrous amount of freebies in this game, plenty of which you didn't know about. A ring with +1 to all attributes, simply for creating a character before the game came out? Thanks, I guess.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #482 on: 24 Mar 2010, 18:50 »

Plus, if you played things even medium-smart you should have a shit ton of stuff from Origins anyway.

I mean, in my inventory i have the dragon and drake skin armours, the juggernaut and tons of absurd weaponry.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #483 on: 01 Apr 2010, 16:41 »

You can apparently spend 3 real dollars to buy a Protective Cone for your video game doggie.  It will make him hate you.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

You can also give Morrigan an Alistair doll which she can make into a Voodoo doll.  Which makes her happy and Alistair injured.

Of course.  This IS April fools day.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2010, 16:43 by Caleb »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #484 on: 06 May 2010, 00:29 »

Trailer for new DLC, "The Darkspawn Chronicles", in which you play as Darkspawn in a "what if?" scenario where your OC Warden dies in the Joining.

Short interview with the lead designer.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2010, 00:32 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #485 on: 06 May 2010, 02:07 »

I feel like I'd be more stoked if it was less, "Play in an ALTERNATE WACKY WORLD" and more in a, "Play a short parallel story to one of the main events of the game." As it is, I don't really see how that DLC enriches the universe very much.

How was Awakening, by the way?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #486 on: 06 May 2010, 02:34 »

I hadn't played it but I heard good things about the back half of it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #487 on: 08 May 2010, 05:44 »

I've been wanting to play Awakening (got it 50% off from that PAXEAST code) but the PS3 version of Dragon Age got bugged to hell by the 3.30 firmware update.  =/
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #488 on: 15 Jun 2011, 21:47 »

sorry if I didnt feel like readin 10 pages worth of comments but is dragon age: origins worth $30 US? what game is it like in gameplay and narrative?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #489 on: 15 Jun 2011, 21:53 »

Yes, if you're playing it on PC. Narrative is big and bombastic taking you all over the game world, most of the stuff in game makes sense within context and the criticisms you may have heard about the sequel don't actually hold here. Basically it's just a graphically prettier update of Baldur's Gate.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #490 on: 16 Jun 2011, 00:57 »

it's also worth it on xbox, don't front. dunno about ps3. sequel isn't worth it though.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #491 on: 16 Jun 2011, 01:01 »

Truth

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #492 on: 16 Jun 2011, 09:18 »

I would actually waffle about the console versions, since the game's actually a bit different, especially in volume and difficulty of fights. If you can get it on PC, do so.

(Also it's not really like BG much at all, it's more of a graphically prettier fantasy update of KOTOR)
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #493 on: 16 Jun 2011, 10:47 »

I often suspect that people have forgotten just how much BG1 emphasized exploration.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #494 on: 16 Jun 2011, 13:01 »

I would actually waffle about the console versions, since the game's actually a bit different, especially in volume and difficulty of fights. If you can get it on PC, do so.

(Also it's not really like BG much at all, it's more of a graphically prettier fantasy update of KOTOR)

pc's the superior version no question about it, i'm just saying that it's not like if you can't get it on pc you shouldn't bother with it at all.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up