THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abe Vigoda: Contrary to popular belief, are a good band.  (Read 6400 times)

the Goat

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is my hobby

This thread is poorly timed as I see Pitchfork just posted a glowing review of their new album and I fear they're going to end up the fast-track Pitchfork-hype-to-overrated-to-underrated train. But, hopefully, before all that begins, some others will check them out and genuinely enjoy their new album Skeleton. It's a very good mixture of shoegaze (like Ride, not MBV) tropicalia and punk. I saw them the other night with No Age and High Places at Floristree in Bodymore and while No Age definitely stole the show, I was really impressed by them.

I admit I went in not expecting much, indeed, I had listened to some tracks on their myspace and didn't like it at all. I didn't really know how to make sense of it. I remember thinking it sounded like Animal Collective covering Gilberto Gil. So I didn't expect to like them, but I was still impressed by their energy and how tight they were, and I actually liked the songs.

I don't know if the new album is as good as Pitchfork makes it out to be, but it's till worth picking up, IMO, and I, to reiterate, I highly reccommend checking them out with No Age if they're coming to your town.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Abe Vigoda: Contrary to popular belief, are a good band.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2008, 18:36 »

I luh dis band. They are playing in Toronto with No Age on the 16th, but I am already going to a different concert. If Mika Miko were with them, I would be alllll over that shiiiit. Think I might toss Skeleton in the m-f thread.

the Goat

• Murder is my hobby
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2008, 18:41 »

I think Mika Miko are my favorite of the "Smell" mini-verse of bands. An mostly-woman band that nails old-school hardcore a million times better 99% tough-guy-pretender bands could ever hope to.

But, yes, Abe Vigoda are still very good.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2008, 18:45 »

Yeah, Mika Miko are pretty much the best. I'm pretty sure most of them still live with their parents. That's true punk if I ever saw it. I hope they come out with some new stuff soon.

How were High Places live? I like their stuff on headphones, but I could see it being kind of boring on stage.

the Goat

• Murder is my hobby
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2008, 19:30 »

Yeah, Mika Miko are pretty much the best. I'm pretty sure most of them still live with their parents. That's true punk if I ever saw it. I hope they come out with some new stuff soon.

How were High Places live? I like their stuff on headphones, but I could see it being kind of boring on stage.

I lost interest in them after the second song, but I don't know any of their songs and I was also towards the back of the room during their set and not "in the the thick of it". Some people were really into it, though, there was a guy next to me break dancing (somewhat drunkenly, but that didn't see to affect his moves one bit), and another one shaking arrthythmically and seemed to be on the verge of speaking in tongues. I guess, a good way to sum it up is that it was more of "DJ-style" set, in that, the focus is meant to be on individuals dancing to the music, as opposed a band projecting energy from the stage. I don't do too well in the former, I'm too white.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2008, 18:59 »

I love Abe Vigoda. Thanks for this thread, I had no idea they'd released a new album. They're my second favourite Smell band, after the Mae Shi. Glad these two bands have gotten some QC forum press recently :D

Plasticity

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2008, 00:37 »

These guys are actually referred to as "Smell Bands?" I didn't think the venue had that much to do with their success. Tell me more, please.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2008, 00:56 »

I guess it's similar to the way the Ramones or Television etc. are CBGB bands.

The Smell bands play pretty regularly there and have built a fanbase/scene around it. I know some of the bands see it as a sort of "home venue".

the Goat

• Murder is my hobby
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2008, 09:33 »

Every piece I've read about any of those bands inevitably references the Smell. I think the venue's been pretty central to their success.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

Plasticity

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:05 »

That is pretty funny since this basic "scene" has been going on at the smell for years now. But it is pretty cool anyway, I am glad they are gettin all famous, but Times New Viking does the sounds better than all of them, just FYI.

the Goat

• Murder is my hobby
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2008, 18:25 »

Apples and Oranges.
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2008, 20:21 »

Times New Viking are pretty fuckin' awesome. Probably the best band name ever.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2008, 01:18 »

That is pretty funny since this basic "scene" has been going on at the smell for years now. But it is pretty cool anyway, I am glad they are gettin all famous, but Times New Viking does the sounds better than all of them, just FYI.

Not many Smell bands sound like Times New Viking.

Plasticity

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2008, 01:27 »

Are you kidding? No Age and Abe Vigoda are doing the same lo-fi/psych punk thing that TNV and Psychedelic Horseshit, etc, are doing and have been doing, they just do it poppier. I would feel pretty safe saying they're the "crossover" acts in the genre for sure. Not to say they aren't awesome (yhey are) but seriously it is pretty much exactly the same sound.

the Goat

• Murder is my hobby
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2008, 06:18 »

I don't hear any resemblance between Times New Viking and any of the Smell bands, yeah they're both lo-fi but so are a million bands. Abe Vigoda always reminds me Animal Collective because of the vocals and the sun/surf guitar tone (which makes me think of AC even though I can't name a specific song where they use that tone). No Age is like Japanther, but instead of the hip-hop influence native to Brooklyn and New York, they have a more sunny, surf-rock sound native to LA.

The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2008, 08:24 »

I like this quite a bit. I love No Age,  but I think I may end up listening to this more often than Nouns.

Now I'm even more sad that the plans I had to see No Age/High Places/Abe Vigoda in Baltimore last week fell through.

Plasticity

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2008, 14:12 »

I can't even persuasively argue this anymore. They're all playing psychedelic punk, just in different levels of intensity. I think TNV does it best, because their songs are the tightest and the feedback gets more interesting. Abe Vigoda sound like Vampire Weekend with more distortion to me for the most part, and comparing any of the bands to Animal Collective or Japanther just makes you sound silly.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2008, 16:52 »

I wonder what Rip It Off sounds like under all the distortion? I reckon it'd be sound rather twee for punk.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2008, 00:09 »

Abe Vigoda did remind me a lot of Animal Collective actually. A lot of that is in the epic reverb. They also have a huge tropical theme in all their songs. I've only heard one Vampire Weekend song (Oxford Comma) and it sounded nothing like any Abe Vigoda song.

BTW, my original point was that you're not anywhere near the mark saying Smell bands all sound like TNV. The Smell covers a whole lotta stuff, and you'd be really stretching it saying the Mae Shi, BARR or HEALTH are psychedelic punk bands or that any of those artists sound like TNV.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2008, 00:11 by FireAarro »

Plasticity

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2008, 00:42 »

Wait fucking HEALTH are part of it? I either stopped reading the music press or have lived in New York too long, what the fuck.

wesleyv

« Reply #20 on: 15 Jul 2008, 06:27 »

I liked the new album as well, check their myspace for some of the best tracks on the album
Pages: [1]   Go Up