THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music recommendations...  (Read 17483 times)

The Albatross

Music recommendations...
« on: 13 Jul 2008, 21:30 »

My music tastes are pretty diverse, but I can give you a little range here:

Moldy Peaches are alright; The Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the ultimate of awesome; I hate Slipknot, Disturbed, Nickelback or anything of the sort, I can't stand ska AND I DIDN'T LIKE THE SONG "SHOES."

Everything else is iffy, so recommend away!
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2008, 15:14 by The Albatross »

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
Re: Music recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2008, 21:52 »

tom waits i guess

there's no music question to which tom waits does not provide an adequate answer

also, what?
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2008, 22:17 »

Hi Albatross! Please select:

a) Polite welcome to the forums! You might find that this topic is a bit over done, there are many quality threads with great recommendations, including the Med!afire thread at the top of this page.
b) Is this a troll post? (I really can't tell any more, sorry)
c) Sloan macro
d) A quality mix by a great japanese electronic producer, recently signed to Hyperdub: Quarta330.

With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2008, 08:31 »

You like The Mars Volta? Then I recommend - At The Drive-In; Mansun; Pink Floyd; David Gilmour's On An Island; Hope Of The States.
You like the Chilis? Then I recommend Sly and the Family Stone, Jane's Addiction, Bad Brains and... Chilly Willy And The Red Hot Peppers. And yes, that's a real band. You may note them being referenced in a Simpsons episode. I don't actually recommend them though, I've never heard their music.

I hate Slipknot, Disturbed, Nickelback or anything of the sort

Please tell me you're not suggesting these three bands are all the same 'sort.'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2008, 08:41 »

Slipknot and Disturbed sound almost exactly the same.  Equally shitty.

Suggestion!: If you don't already listen to them, you should be listening to The Clash.

P.S. - Who the hell are the Soggy Peaches?  Do you mean The Moldy Peaches?  The duet that did "Anyone Else But You?"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2008, 08:47 »

Slipknot and Disturbed sound almost exactly the same.  Equally shitty.

Okay, hypothetically, let's say I agree that Slipknot are shitty. Does that mean therefore that they sound exactly the same as the Cheeky Girls, just because they are hypothetically equally shitty? Because that just don't make no sense. That's like saying Sgt. Pepper and Funhouse sound exactly alike because they're equally great.

imapiratearg

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2008, 08:48 »

I suppose I should have phrased that better, because that wasn't what I was trying to say.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2008, 08:50 »

Please do elaborate.

imapiratearg

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2008, 08:54 »

It goes without saying that they sound the same, but I also think that they are both shitty.  The reason they both play awful nu-metal or whatever it's called attributes to my opinion that they are awful bands.

We are digressing, however.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2008, 11:35 »

If it 'goes without saying' that Disturbed and Slipknot sound the same to you, then you clearly haven't listened to either band enough. Or more specifically, seeing as nobody wants to listen to a band they don't like, you don't really know what you're talking about.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2008, 14:09 »

They both sound similar, they fit within the same genre, they don't sound the same, granted, but they are two of the big names in shitty nu-metal.

Nickelback is just bland post-grunge, maybe a bit of southern rock, but devoid of anything that makes it fun to listen to.

Of Dski's recommendations, I wouldn't agree that all of them are impenetrable. Floyd, Ramones, and James Brown seem pretty accessible to me, at least some of their stuff is accessible. Fugazi I didn't have any trouble appreciating, but I could see some people finding them difficult to like.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

The Albatross

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2008, 20:13 »

Slipknot, Nickelback, Disturbed and whatnot were all categorized in the same sort because they're all played equally on the radio, all are just as popular as the others, and their music is boring as hell (but not equally, to avoid confrontation).

And for the person who recommended At the Drive In (although helpful), what kind of pinko listens to The Mars Volta without having ever heard At the Drive In? It's unethical, to say the least...

Thanks!

himynameisjulien

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2008, 07:16 »

Did anyone actually enjoy listening to "Shoes"?

imapiratearg

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2008, 07:50 »

What "Shoes" song are you talking about?  The one on YouTube that had all that buzz surrounding it about a year ago?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2008, 09:46 »

Slipknot, Nickelback, Disturbed and whatnot were all categorized in the same sort because they're all played equally on the radio, all are just as popular as the others, and their music is boring as hell (but not equally, to avoid confrontation).

Because, as we all know, radio play = suck.

And for the person who recommended At the Drive In (although helpful), what kind of pinko listens to The Mars Volta without having ever heard At the Drive In? It's unethical, to say the least...

People who hadn't heard of them first due to a lack of musical knowledge at the Volta's foundation such as, oh, I dunno, me? Or better yet, people who don't like hardcore, but do like funk and/or prog, which could concievably include our OP.

They both sound similar, they fit within the same genre, they don't sound the same, granted, but they are two of the big names in shitty nu-metal.

I'm sorry, I still don't accept this. I like Slipknot, and I hate Disturbed, but aside from having, well, metal riffs, they really don't sound much alike. Especially Slipknot's early stuff, which has hip-hop influences.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2008, 12:44 »

I can back you up on that. I used to be into Slipknot, and had a passing knowledge of Disturbed, because the crowds who listened to them kind of overlapped. They're not terribly similar.  Disturbed is more Godsmack and Drowning Pool, Slipknot is more Helmet and Godflesh plus a bit of Limp Bizkit.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jul 2008, 12:54 »

Oh dude, thanks, I had totally forgotten all about Godsmack and now you've made me remember them and that stupid "Voodoo" song.  Eugh.  For me Slipknot and Disturbed sound pretty similar, mostly because I've never really taken the time to listen to a lot of Slipknots material (not that I want to) How can 9 people make such uninteresting people?  Freaking hell Daft Punk is two people, so is The Knife. 

himynameisjulien

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jul 2008, 14:08 »

What "Shoes" song are you talking about?  The one on YouTube that had all that buzz surrounding it about a year ago?
That one.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2008, 17:36 »

I reccomend Nirvana, David Bowie (check out "Heroes", Outside, Low, and Let's Dance), Audioslave, Sound Garden, The Cranberries, Dropkick Murphys, The Clash, The White Stripes, Tori Amos, Pavement, and Iron Maiden. This isn't based on your preferences, I guess, they're all just really great bands.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

himynameisjulien

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2008, 17:45 »

Look up Interpol and Minus the Bear, both pretty good and unique bands IMO.

The Albatross

« Reply #20 on: 15 Jul 2008, 17:56 »

Thanks all.

I'll be sure to check out all the bands I haven't heard already.

And the comment about At the Drive In was a joke. I'm not seriously that much of an elitist prick about the origins of The Mars Volta and/or Sparta.

himynameisjulien

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jul 2008, 23:12 »

Interpol....unique

*Chortle*
I haven't found anything like Interpol, neither have my friends; then again I haven't actually looked, but my friends might have.

Durin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jul 2008, 23:25 »

I own two.

A Jay Jr. Acoustic which I don't play very much and need to change the strings on.
And a Gibson SG Signature Series which is pretty "meh" but I'm a pretty crappy guitar player so I guess that doesn't help.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jul 2008, 00:08 »

Interpol....unique

*Chortle*
I haven't found anything like Interpol, neither have my friends; then again I haven't actually looked, but my friends might have.

I'd suggest you look under Joy Division and you might well be surprised.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jul 2008, 00:55 »

I own two.

A Jay Jr. Acoustic which I don't play very much and need to change the strings on.
And a Gibson SG Signature Series which is pretty "meh" but I'm a pretty crappy guitar player so I guess that doesn't help.

Wrong thread, man!

Why are so many people doing that these days? Is the forum bein' all screwy or something?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jul 2008, 09:41 »

How can 9 people make such uninteresting people?

Probably because even though one of them is actually a fairly decent drummer, they still have 3-4 band members on "bang on trash can lids" / "stand around looking like idiots" duty.

imapiratearg

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jul 2008, 09:51 »

I'd suggest you look under Joy Division and you might well be surprised.

I enjoy Interpol quite a bit, but their sound isn't all that unique.  Try Editors and I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness as well as Joy Division and you'll see.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2008, 12:24 by imapiratearg »

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jul 2008, 12:07 »

b) Is this a troll post? (I really can't tell any more, sorry)

Either a troll or a 13-year-old.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2008, 12:25 »

Or, *SHOCK* somebody not as educated in music as the rest of us, how dare they?

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2008, 13:16 »

some more bands I forgot to mention:
Alice in Chains, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Death Cab for Cutie (I'm not familiar with their newer stuff but I hear it's pretty bad), Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs, and Foo Fighters.
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Plasticity

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2008, 13:43 »

I do not understand how people enjoy the music made by the band Slipknot. From an objective standpoint, they make terrible music. I do not want to get my opinion involved in this, because that would make the argument easy to refute, but from the perspective of an outsider with no emotional involvement, based on pure logic, slipknot are bad.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2008, 10:35 »

Go on then, use 'pure logic' to demonstrate utterly factually that the statement 'Slipknot are bad' is true.

Oh and Albatross, start listening to the Manic Street Preachers.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2008, 10:37 by amok »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2008, 12:23 »

I do not understand how people enjoy the music made by the band Slipknot. From an >>>>objective<<<<< standpoint, they make terrible music. I do not want to get my opinion involved in this, because that would make the argument easy to refute, but from the perspective of an outsider with no emotional involvement, based on pure logic, slipknot are bad.

Your post was a fail from this word onwards. Try again.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2008, 12:29 »

There's just no objective way to declare music "bad". It's entirely subjective. You can make other points like "derivative", "predictable", "contrived for the mainstream", "poorly written", "generic", or "displays no desire for improvement" though. (I think applying that last one to music might be fun, I'm so sick of it myself  :-P)

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 17 Jul 2008, 13:12 »

cant wrong go with these, these are my favs

Kyuss, BigElf, Nebula, Dragonforce, The Sword, Motorhead, Radiohead, Bad Wizard, Sasquatch, Murphy's law, Mastodon, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Acid King, The Duke Spirit, Dead Meadow, Sky Cries Mary, The Red Plastic Buddha, The Flaming Lips, Mos Generator.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2008, 04:48 by the-artful-dodger-rodger »
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jul 2008, 19:23 »

You can make other points like "derivative", "predictable", "contrived for the mainstream", "poorly written", "generic", or "displays no desire for improvement" though. (I think applying that last one to music might be fun, I'm so sick of it myself  :-P)

The first thing I thought of after reading all that was Disturbed and Three Days Grace.

The Albatross

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jul 2008, 20:19 »

Or Linkin Park and Breaking Benjamin.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2008, 14:10 »

Can we agree that the stuff from Slipknot and Disturbed that gets radio play (or got it 2-3 years ago) sounds pretty similar? At least within the bounds of the same genre? DK, seems to me like since you like slipknot but not disturbed, you are not liking them being categorized together, is that accurate?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2008, 14:34 »

This isn't some beef I have with Disturbed coming to the fore. This is two bands that sound different. Slipknot's RECENT radio stuff is somewhat more poppy, I'll admit, and I suppose could be compared to Disturbed. But something like 'Wait And Bleed' or 'Left Behind,' other than being metal, really scarcely resembles Disturbed.

This is nothing to do with the bands in question, I just take objection to such categorisation which to me, seems like someone with a lack of knowledge. It'd be like me saying Deerhoof and Sufjan Stevens sound ailke. I know virtually nothing about either, but apparently they're 'indie' and what I've heard both seem to be indie too, so I could say they sound similar. However, I'd be willing to bet (hey, I could be wrong, as I said I know little to nothing about either) that they really, really don't have anything in common aside from a bland, catch-all genre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up