THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Jul 2024, 01:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins  (Read 22679 times)

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
Re: Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins
« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2008, 17:36 »

I had heard it was a shitty source of criticism, but I had honestly never picked up or looked at a Rolling Stone in my entire life. My curiosity got the best of me.

The end-of-the-year lists on meta-critic aren't bad since they're usually compiled by single critics. I usually just use meta critic to download new albums to give them an initial listen to see if they're worth perusing any further. 
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #51 on: 19 Oct 2008, 19:11 »

Am I missing something? A 79 Metascore might not put The Stand-Ins on their numerical "Top" listings, but it certainly is a pretty damn favorable rating.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #52 on: 19 Oct 2008, 19:24 »

People are upset because they think it's amazingly awesomely brilliant, and other people only think it's pretty good.

Hljómalind

« Reply #53 on: 19 Oct 2008, 19:38 »

I really like it. Got into them after I saw them play one of the best sets of Latitude, and I think this album is very solid.

On Rolling Stone, like a number of UK music mags, it has seriously gone downhill. Some of my dad's old back issues contain genuinely brilliant writing by people who cared about music, not celebrity, but it's now really middle-rate in my view.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #54 on: 19 Oct 2008, 21:20 »

People are upset because they think it's amazingly awesomely brilliant, and other people only think it's pretty good.

I would be okay with the 79 if aforementioned Protest the Hero weren't sitting at 86.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up