THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: DWARF FORTRESS  (Read 113900 times)

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: DWARF FORTRESS
« Reply #250 on: 04 Apr 2013, 08:34 »

Or it went into the magic nether-realms of OF THE SCREEN, never to return from those mystical lands.

The last three forts I've made has had no iron and no coal available. Is that normal?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #251 on: 04 Apr 2013, 08:37 »

I've had it happen quite a lot. I know one of the things that can cause it is having mineral frequency set to the highest level. Apparently it causes several other minerals to completely overtake any iron and coal deposits during world creation.

I've had multiple non high fequency maps that had neither though, and I suspect it's just poor luck in those cases.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #252 on: 06 Apr 2013, 02:54 »

Yesterday I encountered the first forgotten beast in this fortress. Some 3-eyed Alligator in humanoid form. Turned out to be pretty harmless, got killed by my single squad of military dwarfs with the only injury being a bruised hand. Knowing Urist McSpearwielder he probably hit himself on the hand or something, not the beast.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #253 on: 06 Apr 2013, 05:17 »

What the hell? A mini-forge made of wood? Dwarfs are crazy...

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #254 on: 06 Apr 2013, 06:32 »

Well, it's just a toy, so it's probably not gonna go up in flames. Although it would be deliciously magnificent if you could use it as fuel. Sadly you cannot, as far as I know, but still...

And I just figured I wanted to play DF, so I made a new bedroom/workshop design based on my favourite bedroom design from the wiki:

The big rooms are to give the nobles and other importants their needs, they'll probably only be around on 2 of the 8 levels I need of this to house all my dwarves. Every second floor will have the workshops and special rooms replaced by workshops. After 4 levels of this, I'll place the dining hall and all of the other common areas, before I get myself 4 more levels.

Learning from my last failure, I'll also have the bottom part of this, the one that leads to the lower mines and caves, be an underground fort with an underground moat.

EDIT: fuck it, made designs for the fort as well. Central stairs goes only upwards, leftwards stairs goes only downwards:

Having farms that far down will probably be a later edition, as it is kind of an hassle to get the water down there (in the right amounts), but being less reliant on the topside world is always good. Does anyone have any experience with walling off large portions of the underground caves to use as underground tree farms? Seems ideal, but getting all openings closed off is probably a nightmare. Running out of wood in the middle of a siege is not fun, though, especially if it's early enough that you need to wait some months to get your militia armed and trained before breaking the siege.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2013, 06:47 by snalin »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up