THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DWARF FORTRESS  (Read 113891 times)

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: DWARF FORTRESS
« Reply #50 on: 29 Jul 2008, 12:23 »

Cheap trick to get rid of indoor miasma is to have your refuse stockpile in a room with a channel leading up to the surface.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #51 on: 29 Jul 2008, 14:04 »

One of my glassmaker dwarfs was possesed, but it seems that I didn't have the materials it wanted to make an artifact, so now it's insane and will probably kill itself.  It wanted bones and "something with rough color"  the fuck does "rough color" mean?  I assumed it meant clay because the dwarf's preferences told me it liked clay, but I had no clay.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #52 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:10 »

I don't consider it a cheap trick to have your stinky shit in a well-ventilated area. I consider it to be good fortress design.

There's a thread in the Bay12 Forums discussing making the forges smoke, necessitating a chimney.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #53 on: 31 Jul 2008, 13:37 »

On the subject of chimneys, how the hell do you make an effective one? The best I've found, is making a 2x2 tower with up/down staircases leading to the surface, then going back and replacing all of the down staircases with a channel. This sucks because my dwarf can get stuck.

Is it possible to start the channel from the top, then have the dwarf jump through the channel to dig the next z-axis section?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #54 on: 02 Aug 2008, 06:23 »

Unfortunately, no; Dwarves will not base-jump down a hole. about the only way to make them fall down is to find away to take the floor away while they're on it.I suppose you can try digging ramps on down your chimney sections. The same way people would strip mine a mountain off.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #55 on: 02 Aug 2008, 11:34 »

Tried it, made a 2x2 chimney section and had a winding staircase up it, with a channel system running parallel. Doesn't work. It opens up the area directly below the channel, but any other tile in the refuse pit is still crawling with miasma.

Fletch

« Reply #56 on: 16 Aug 2008, 02:01 »

I've just started my 6th fortress (aborted 5) and I seem to have problems getting dwarves to do things with food and plants before they rot ... any suggestions?

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug 2008, 03:44 »

Basically troubleshoot your food process: do you have food haulers? A food stockpile? Are they just bringing the food into the 'pile and dropping it (do you have enough barrels)? Is there any obstruction between the food and the 'pile?

If all this is fine and you still have food rotting on the vine, then I'd advise having a dwarf dedicated to farming and food hauling. Maybe room him near either the farms or the 'pile.

Let me know if that is of any help.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #58 on: 25 Aug 2008, 14:26 »

Man, this game keeps bringing out the sadist in me. I keep starting out new fortresses with the best of intentions, but when given the option between starting near a nice hilly stream in a region called "the Satiny Woods" or a haunted mountain wasteland called "The Horns of Puke," I go with the latter every time. It's hard to feel too bad for my dwarves though, since they seem to drop like flies no matter what I do.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Fletch

« Reply #59 on: 28 Aug 2008, 01:28 »

I'm currently playing another fortress ... hopefully this will turn out better. I followed some of the wiki instructions, started customising stockpiles, setting up beer and food stations around the fortress. Funny, all my guys are part of  a group called the Ignited Smith.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #60 on: 28 Aug 2008, 01:54 »

This game triggers my OCD complex so bad. I literally killed any dwarf who didn't like Dwarven Rum, because that's the best kind you fucking TWITS.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #61 on: 28 Aug 2008, 05:00 »

I'm imagining this and it's hilarious!

"Oh god, I really need a metalsmith!"
[Immigration wave]
"YES! Okay, let's see what he's thirsty for... Longland Beer? LONGLAND BEER?!?"
"FUCK YOU!"
*MOAT*
[Urist McHooplehead has drowned.]

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #62 on: 28 Aug 2008, 21:51 »

Oh man. I haven't even started the game portion yet. I've spent like half an hour naming everything.

Tentative group name: Buttonbaldness the Jaundiced Fleshy Breeches-Bulwark of Elbows.
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #63 on: 29 Aug 2008, 07:32 »

Man, I always have my fortress named Ironcastle, and my group named Brotherhood of Steel. I just like the sound of it.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #64 on: 29 Aug 2008, 11:49 »

MAYBE YOU LIKE IT CAUSE I STOLE YOUR POWERARMOR, DOUCHE.

ญญญญ

« Reply #65 on: 05 Sep 2008, 23:54 »

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #66 on: 08 Sep 2008, 05:33 »

Oh man, I love DF comics.

Like Strike the Earth.

Fletch

« Reply #67 on: 28 Sep 2008, 02:36 »

anyone looked into mods for DF? I'm trying some now ... but it seems most mods are for older versions. :/

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #68 on: 08 Jun 2009, 18:12 »

Ok, bumping this because I have gotten back into it and also because Khar was talking about it last night.

I went through this tutorial a while ago and found it really beneficial to my understanding of the basics of the game.  Most of it I had found out through trial and error previously, but I'd stopped playing for a bit and needed a quick refresher, plus it filled in some gaps in my knowledge.

Here is the post with all of Calista's tutorials in a big pdf, but I highly recommend reading at least the first part of her html version for ease of grabbing the version of DF she uses throughout the tute.

The PDF version

Also, here's some else I got out of that page: QuakeBells - read until the end of Damien Neil's administration.  It's really quite good.  Not in a BoatMurdered "oh god, you poor bastards" kind of way, just humorous and well-told.

Also also, anyone not using the Mayday graphics pack for DF really is doing themselves a bit of a disservice!

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #69 on: 08 Jun 2009, 22:43 »

Which pack is that? I know I have a graphics pack.

Also fuck you for bringing up Dwarf Fortress, which I would totally start playing again if I had the patience to relearn everything.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #70 on: 09 Jun 2009, 00:09 »

The Mayday one is by May Green.  You can find the latest version here: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

and here is what it looks like (roughly):

I believe that the latest Mayday-tileset version is used in the tutorial I linked, too.

Also also, check out this mock image by the guys at SpriteAttack of an isometric DF made as a demo of what DF could be if someone put a bit of work into it:

How fucking cool is that, right?  I think the thing I love the most about the image is the little baby Dorf on the far right that looks like it already has the beginnings of a beard.  So cool.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2009, 00:13 by est »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #71 on: 09 Jun 2009, 00:18 »

Also also, here is a link to another megapost on Rock, Paper, Shotgun containing a whole bunch of tutorials ranging in skill level for DF: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/01/08/losing-is-fun-learning-is-better-dwarf-fortress-tutorials/

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #72 on: 09 Jun 2009, 02:28 »

The user-interface designer in me starts raging when I try to play this game. Saddens me as well.. the idea and stories I keep reading are so awesome.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #73 on: 17 Aug 2010, 13:22 »

Bumping this; I've gotten into the game pretty recently and although there are some things that I haven't yet had a grasp on, holy fucking dicks is it immersive and addictive.

Recently in my third fortress I attempted to rout some ground water several Z-levels up into a well system for my fort several Z-levels down. However in digging out the access tunnels for this project, my stoneworker kept fucking putting the access wall behind him, trapping him inside the well tunnels. Eventually in a fit of rage I decided to leave him there and let loose the water, but he wasn't dying fast enough so I decided to dig another tunnel to let him out; right next to my rock stockpile.

I think I'm gonna try again from the latest season save; and then probably from the river. Anyone hit magma yet?

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #74 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:49 »

I've just downloaded it and will give it a shot at work today.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #75 on: 18 Aug 2010, 10:37 »

It's gotten to the point where I actively avoid trying to think too terribly far ahead about things like that in dwarf fortress. God knows my dwarves will do something dumb and I"ll have less manpower than I expected to have anyway. May as well get as much done as possible as soon as possible.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #76 on: 18 Aug 2010, 11:39 »

You know what's kind of like Dwarf Fortress, but not really, and is totally fucking awesome?

Minecraft.

It's developed by one lone lunatic and is currently in Alpha. It has: procedurally generated 3d landscapes that can look absolutely stunning on their own, let alone once you start crafting and building glass/stone/wood monoliths filled with lava towering into the square clouds.
There's caves, mountains, forests, and realistic water, lava, and lighting. Not to mention monsters, an extensive (though unintuitive)crafting system, and multiplayer which is currently being tested in somewhat glitchy, barebones sort of way.

Oh yeah, and the worlds it generates for you can be up to eight times larger than Earth (not that any of our computers could handle such a world anyway, but it's possible)

Anyway, it's fucking sweet, and I highly recommend it. Especially since it's only $13 right now (though it will be more later) and for your money you get the game forever, DRM-free, including all future updates, and the ability to use custom player skins, I guess. You can download the client or play it in-browser, but I had a hard time trying to get the browser version to work.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #77 on: 18 Aug 2010, 23:09 »

I'm trying to play this, downloaded the client with the tutorial world from that one link, and I'm slowly learning how to play this. I'm also kind of tipsy and its 2 am so there is some frustration control going on here.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #78 on: 19 Aug 2010, 01:24 »

If you want an excellent tutorial for this game (and trust me, you'll need one) there is this nifty thread on SA with a link to a video series that will explain most everything of what you need to know. Also includes links to the Lazy Newb pack that will take some of the edge off of this impossibly complex game.

In other news, my fortress suffered its first casualty today--one of our stoneworkers got mauled to death by a Giant Bat. welp shouldn't have dug so deep into that cavern that I forgot to seal it off to monsters

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #79 on: 19 Aug 2010, 11:34 »

Hee, I love the effing descriptions of the dwarves' likes and dislikes, one of them likes cows for their haunting moos, hee.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #80 on: 19 Aug 2010, 16:05 »

Obligatory:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #81 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:07 »

I need some sort of tutorial because every time I start trying to play this it's just ridiculous. Like I can't even work out how to do things.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #82 on: 20 Aug 2010, 16:42 »

TUTORIAL:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

...or wiki, whatever. There are tutorials in the Wiki, though.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #83 on: 21 Aug 2010, 23:36 »

This one that Est posted somewhere uppage is the best that I've used.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #84 on: 21 Aug 2010, 23:43 »

I am as of yet still without a successful start even, either the area completely sucks, the game freezes or a bug makes it unplayable. This is annoying me and why have I been dreaming about this shit lately.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #85 on: 22 Aug 2010, 13:15 »

After spending hours reading tutorials I think I might be ready to tackle this game

I can't figure out how to get the graphics mod to work so I'm not looking at ASCII the whole time, which isn't a great start as starts go

Edit: So far so good actually, except after a certain point my miners stopped mining, and haven't mined since.  They now earn their keep sitting by the wagon and going down to the warehouse every now and then for food
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2010, 16:30 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #86 on: 22 Aug 2010, 16:30 »

just go into the wiki and dl one of the graphics packs, you basically just replace the raw folder I think, 'sworked for me so far, ish, can't get the mayday pack to work with the new version and that's the best looking one, plus the guy's website seems to be down. So instead I'm using another one that looks okay but they're so fucking small, like, I need to get a closer look at things to actually be able to do stuff. Also, seriously, I'm never able to find any mud, so I can't farm since every place I pick seems to be made of solid rock.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #87 on: 22 Aug 2010, 16:32 »

What I did to get mud was mine a square separating my fortress from a small underground body of water.  It flooded part of my fortress a little, but once it dried up a bit I was left with plenty of space to farm.  Oh yeah, and it should tell you whether or not there's soft earth underground when you choose a place to embark

Edit: I figured out the reason why my miners were just loafing around, and that reason is I'm a goddamn idiot
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2010, 16:42 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #88 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:49 »

Even though I completely suck at playing DF, I do read the forums now and again.

holy shit

HOLY SHIT
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #89 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:30 »

I literally twigged Dwarf Fortress last night. Essentially, I just hadn't been assigning dwarfs work orders, so they would never actually do anything. Now I'm rocking out.

Though unfortunately, my first fortress turns out to be basically on a swamp. The ground is completely waterlogged below 3 z levels down, and I can't get at any rock. I'm trading glass and wood crafts with dwarven caravans for any rock and metal I can get, but my defense is kind of shite: luckily there isn't any particularly aggressive local fauna (apart from this fucking raccoon who keeps stealing my coal, of all things) but since I can literally only arm my dwarfs with wooden weapons and leather armour, and I've got no rock to make mechanisms, and only wooden doors, I'm dreading the first goblin siege. I'm currently working on an elaborate system of moats, irrigation channels and pump stacks to try and drain enough soil that I can get down further, but it's hard work. Because I have no mechanisms for raising floodgates I have to send in intrepid teams of dwarven scuba divers to physically insert them and remove them by hand. I have drowned a lot of pet cats.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #90 on: 24 Aug 2010, 15:39 »

bunch of other stuff and I have drowned a lot of pet cats.

Damn fine job so far. Keep up the good work.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #91 on: 25 Aug 2010, 00:10 »

bunch of other stuff and I have drowned a lot of pet cats.

Damn fine job so far. Keep up the good work.

This is why just reading Dwarf Fortress threads is one of the best things on the internet.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #92 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:03 »

Oh man awesome, I hadn't seen that Stonesense thing before.  I'm gonna give it a go.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #93 on: 25 Aug 2010, 18:45 »

Atticsparched (my swamp fortress) is kind of no more. The rot started when one of my farmers (this is only what I think happened) got so utterly obsessed with farming that he planted dimple cups until he collapsed of thirst and died, despite the farms being right next to the food stockpile. No one would move his corpse, even though I have assigned it a tomb and turned all hauling on for everyone. While I was trying to sort this out, I accidentally stranded my three best miners in part of my earthworks and they all died a bit too. Whilst all this was going on, one of my pumpdwarves got so fucking good at pumping that he overfilled the channel he was pumping into, flooding a corridor and the sleeping quarters below iit, which slept all but my original seven dwarves (two of whom were the miners who died). My dwarves for some reason refused to sleep in rooms that were 5/7 full of water. They started getting angry and throwing tantrums because I'd inadvertently destroyed all their possessions.

Then the goblins turned up. Protip: War Cats are not a good investment.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #94 on: 25 Aug 2010, 19:00 »

Man, that is an excellent failure, if I can ever even get to that point I will remember to build a floodgate or two if those areas come anywhere close to each other. It would've been really funny if he'd been pumping magma. Can you train animals other than cats or dogs reliably? It would be really cool to have war elephants.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #95 on: 26 Aug 2010, 00:17 »

As Sgt. Schlock once said: "Sometimes you have fun, and sometimes the Fun has you."

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #96 on: 26 Aug 2010, 10:35 »

So, who's up for a QC succession game?

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #97 on: 26 Aug 2010, 10:59 »

No one would move his corpse, even though I have assigned it a tomb and turned all hauling on for everyone.

Is that how you have corpses moved?  My metalworker died of thirst because apparently he was really sad, right in the hallway that leads to the dormitories.  Dwarfs seem content to walk through thick clouds of miasma to reach their beds rather than get rid of it.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #98 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:08 »

Which version are we going to use? because I'm totally up for a QC succession game, as long as someone else picks the spot because otherwise it'll be a very short game.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #99 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:49 »

Afraid I'll pass. I'm happier playing this game vicariously.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up