THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 13:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamma Mia! Soundtrack.  (Read 7781 times)

Trevita17

Mamma Mia! Soundtrack.
« on: 08 Jul 2008, 15:08 »

I know it's probably not a lot of peoples bag around here, but the Mamma Mia! movie soundtrack was released today, and I have to say that it's amazing, just fucking astounding.  I saw the show in NYC when I lived there, and it was kind of throwaway, but I wanted to hear Meryl Streep sing, and she, and the entire cast have exceeded my expectations by miles... this has the potential to be an awesome summer movie.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: Mamma Mia! Soundtrack.
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2008, 15:19 »

But it has Pierce fucking Brosnan in it.

Trevita17

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2008, 15:30 »

And as unbelievable as this might sound, Pierce fucking Brosnan can sing!! and so can Julie Walters and Meryl Streep and everyone else in the cast..   believe me I was shocked  to.. (he has kind of a rock star sound about him, but I'm a classical singer, and he's producing the sounds correctly, go figure)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2008, 15:34 »

You know... as badly as i don't want to say it... I'd probably go see this goddamn movie.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Trevita17

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2008, 15:44 »

Well, I'm sure it's going to be amazing.   I don't think anyone can deny that Meryl Streep is probably the best american actress of the last 30 years, and she manages to let her astounding acting ability shine through in her singing. Listen to her version of "The Winner Takes it All"  it's not even her best performance on the album, but you can feel the emotion, and then at the end she lets go and does some fucking amazing stuff with her voice, that not even the original cast or ABBA themselves did.   

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2008, 20:55 »

Of course, going to see the movie does NOT mean I'll be buying the album, really.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Trevita17

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2008, 22:45 »

Fair enough, but I'm a psychotic musical queen, I almost always buy the albums to movie musicals before they're released.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul 2008, 09:52 »

I have the original cast recording of the musical, so I'll pass on the movie's, but I'm still seeing the movie. I saw the musical twice and I'm interested how this cast will do. (Particularly Julie Walters and Colin Firth, because I was excited to see the both of them and think they'll do well in their parts.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2008, 12:19 »

I will see this solely for Colin Firth.
Goddamn, I love him.
(But I am getting really sick of the song that they keep playing over the ads at work...grrr...)

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul 2008, 13:15 »

everytime i go to Vegas, i stay at Mandalay Bay. Mamma Mia is their premier play/entertainment. they played adverts for it ALL THE TIME. on the floor, on your TV, IN THE ELEVATOR.  i fear that even if the movie was good, just hearing that song would drive me nuts.

Trevita17

« Reply #10 on: 09 Jul 2008, 15:03 »

They both do very well.  Julie Walters especially.  Colin Firth's character doesn't sing that much, but Julie Walters sings "Take a Chance on Me" and nails it.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2008, 16:07 »

It opened here tonight, and we made a purely spontaneous decision to see it... and it was certainly worth the ticket price!

The soundtrack is _very_ good, although I found Brosnan's voice a little irritating. And Streep's rendition of The Winner Takes it All was really very moving in the movie...

Great show overall, and I'll def. check out the soundtrack :)

PS. I <3 <3 <3 Amanda Seyfried
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Trevita17

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2008, 06:29 »

7/18/08... it's competing with TDK, which means it's doomed to a second place box office... but oh well, it'll still rack up the dough

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2008, 07:22 »

And as unbelievable as this might sound, Pierce fucking Brosnan can sing!! and so can Julie Walters and Meryl Streep and everyone else in the cast..   believe me I was shocked  to.. (he has kind of a rock star sound about him, but I'm a classical singer, and he's producing the sounds correctly, go figure)

This is weird because every review I've seen so far, the reviewers have said that Pierce Brosnan doesn't have a note in his head, and that includes all the positive reviews of the film.

Some people have gone as far to say that it's no coincidence that none of Pierce's songs feature in any of the promotional clips released so far, he's that bad...
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Trevita17

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2008, 15:44 »

he's definitely the weakest in the cast, but saying he can't sing at all iis a bit harsh.  He hits the notes, he's just a bit... untrained

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2008, 18:50 »

I saw it today and I thought it was pretty good. Julie Walters and Colin Firth were pretty awesome and made the whole movie for me. I think I prefer it on stage a little bit more, but the movie was pretty good adaption. Also, the end when they sing Waterloo is hilarious.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2008, 19:09 »

Rosie is my favorite character in the musical pretty much for Take a Chance on Me, so I was stoked when I saw she was in it. (Also, I like other movies Walters has done, like Billy Elliot and Driving Lessons.)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2008, 19:13 »

can someone explain to me why you would buy the soundtrack to mamma mia when you can just buy any ABBA record
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Trevita17

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jul 2008, 16:00 »

Well, they're not exactly the same, some of the lyrics have been changed, and the arrangements are different, which actually makes a huge difference, but I own both the original cast album and the movie album, along with several ABBA box sets. Mainly the reason I bought the movie soundtrack is that the mixing is much better and much clearer than the original ABBA albums, and I wanted to hear all of the movie cast before I saw the movie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up