THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: financial independence  (Read 16192 times)

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
Re: financial independence
« Reply #50 on: 23 Jul 2008, 21:33 »

See Social Bacon, that's all very idealistic and all, but this is what I would do.
I would take the money and invest it, meaning that money could go from $100 000 to $1 000 000 potentially. With that, you can take a chunk out of the dividends as you go for supporting charities, and still have enough to start up your own charity yourself. If you got involved in charity sponsoring or a program like Kiva, you could loan that money to entrepreneurs in third world countries, thus being able to get greater return. Using the power of the market economy, you could donate millions of dollars instead of thousands.

But does this cramp your style? Because if you invest in shares, you are supporting the industry that keep the rich, rich. Maybe you should beycott the entire market economy and stop buying consumer goods of any sort.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #51 on: 23 Jul 2008, 21:36 »

to hell with that.  

Give it to me.  I will invest it in school, and my special projects  

:-D-He means Bombs.

I do not.

:-D-Yes you do.

Maybe...
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #52 on: 23 Jul 2008, 21:44 »

I have no problems with the market economy. I am studying economics, if I disagreed with market economies I'd be failing my courses. But receiving inheritance violates the basic rules of supply and demand on which the economy is founded. I've done nothing the earn the money, I do not deserve it, I do not want it. If someone gets rich through their own hard work then they deserve it. If people get rich because they inherited money and learned how to handle it they don't deserve shit. Investing in shares is not supporting the industry that keeps the rich rich, it's supporting the industry that builds the economy and pays off those willing to take risks. The only real injustice is inheritance.

I am a very idealistic person, people hate me for it.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #53 on: 23 Jul 2008, 21:54 »

Presumably, by the age of 30 you'll have determined whether or not you can make something of yourself regardless of the huge piles of cash waiting for you, so the huge pile of cash is just gravy, really.

And can't you just give it away if you really don't want it?
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #54 on: 23 Jul 2008, 21:57 »

But then how would he be able to complain about the massive amount of cash he is inheriting?

Seriously dude, just accept it and give it to a charity/some charities.  Or set up a benevolent investment fund that donates a certain amount to charities you care about each year whilst replenishing itself.  It's not all that hard to find ways to use the "unwanted" cash altruistically.

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #55 on: 23 Jul 2008, 22:12 »

Regarding inheritance, this sums up my feelings well:

I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing.
— Warren Buffett

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #56 on: 23 Jul 2008, 22:13 »

Then there is no real dilemma. When you do get access to the money you can pour it all into medical research or politics or conservation or humanitarian efforts. Fuck what other people say you should do with it, it's effectively your money to handle how you please and if you don't feel comfortable using it on yourself then you may as well put it somewhere where it might do some good.

I'm about to move out of the flat that my dad owns. After that the only thing that will keep me slightly dependant on my folks is the fact that I remain under their health insurance until I'm 23. I think that once I move out of this flat I would probably find it easier to ask my parents for help, financially speaking, as I won't really be much of a burden on them in any other way. Hey if I'm lucky they might even kick in some extra money so I can make it to Boston next year. Doubtful though.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #57 on: 24 Jul 2008, 01:11 »

I honestly don't see what is wrong with living comfortably if you can. Charity is a god idea, but there is no shame in keeping some for yourself and starting a nice savings account or, like Ali said, investing some of it.
Hate, rain on me

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jul 2008, 02:42 »

The fact is, I probably won't struggle as much as a lot of other people, but I'm not going to make excuses for that.

This.

I also have that portfolio thing going which you talked about because my great-aunt died and had no kids but eight lovely great-nephews and great-nieces whom she made it out to.

And arguing against inheritance is (pretty much) arguing against our genetic imperative.
The money you make - which you do not take into the afterlife if there is one - who would you rather give it to? The obscure shade which governs what you can and cannot do or your own offspring?
I don't get why inheritance has taxation. If someone earned that money through their own hard work and decides they want to pass it on to their children, the children shouldn't have to pay taxes on it again.

It comes back to the so-called dynastic will. That's what's been keeping family enterprises alive and prospering for centuries now.

Fuck, when I have children and I'm too old and wrinkly to receive any enjoyment from anything I might buy myself but I enjoy making my children and grandchildren happy - why should they NOT have the money? I earned it and I can do with it whatever I want. Giving it to those closest to me seems the natural thing to  do, really.

Regarding inheritance, this sums up my feelings well:

I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing.
— Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett, once the second-richest man in the world, did not give any of his money to his children since they were adults. Why? Because they could fend for themselves easily.

When I first got onto this page and saw that Social Bacon had negative things to say about me, I felt a little bad. When I read his posts and realized that he's a crusader, not so much anymore at all. By the way, you're inheriting _tons_ more than I have. Ever had. If you think that money does not belong to you even though your grandfather in his wisdom saw to it that his loved ones would prosper that's your own business. But don't go around accusing others of using what they get.
The world is an unfair place. If you want to make it level, travel to the poorest country and give ALL of it to the people who need it most.
Guess what. It's still an unfair place. Why? Because you just neglected those who need it second-to-most. And they still need it pretty bad.

I'm all for charity (I've been working in an NGO for 4 years now) but I didn't come to this life to make it better for everyone else. I want a slice of the pie, too, and if I get it earlier because my ancestors baked a really big one, awesome.

As I said it before, life is about taking chances. If you see a chance in giving those 100k away and feeling like a better person, take it.
If I see a chance in having my parents finance my education so I start out debt-free and without the hassle of making ends meet while I go to school, LET ME TAKE IT.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2008, 02:51 by evernew »
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #59 on: 24 Jul 2008, 05:54 »

By deciding that you want to put your inheritance into charity, you are effectively claiming that money as much as if you used it on yourself. Because you choose what to do with it. If you had "earned" that money, then put it in charity, it is the same as if it "happened upon you". It's yours because you get to determine it's use, not because of where it comes from! I think that kind of idealism is a bit misplaced.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jul 2008, 09:35 »

While I have nothing against people living at home into young adulthood, and you probably didn't mean it like this anyway, it sounded like you are blaming your birds for your choices in life.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2008, 10:01 by jhocking »

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #61 on: 24 Jul 2008, 12:24 »

I honestly don't see what is wrong with living comfortably if you can. Charity is a god idea, but there is no shame in keeping some for yourself and starting a nice savings account or, like Ali said, investing some of it.
I think there is shame in living a life that I haven't earned.

By deciding that you want to put your inheritance into charity, you are effectively claiming that money as much as if you used it on yourself. Because you choose what to do with it. If you had "earned" that money, then put it in charity, it is the same as if it "happened upon you". It's yours because you get to determine it's use, not because of where it comes from! I think that kind of idealism is a bit misplaced.
I already said that if I had the option I'd deny the money altogether.
"It's yours because you get to determine it's use, not because of where it comes from!"
That's basically exactly what my mother said. But I disagree, I maintain that individuals only deserve what they earn.

And arguing against inheritance is (pretty much) arguing against our genetic imperative.
The money you make - which you do not take into the afterlife if there is one - who would you rather give it to? The obscure shade which governs what you can and cannot do or your own offspring?
I don't get why inheritance has taxation. If someone earned that money through their own hard work and decides they want to pass it on to their children, the children shouldn't have to pay taxes on it again.

It comes back to the so-called dynastic will. That's what's been keeping family enterprises alive and prospering for centuries now.

Fuck, when I have children and I'm too old and wrinkly to receive any enjoyment from anything I might buy myself but I enjoy making my children and grandchildren happy - why should they NOT have the money? I earned it and I can do with it whatever I want. Giving it to those closest to me seems the natural thing to  do, really.
You are right, inheritance is imperative to our economic model because it is the primary motivator for individuals to hold savings. Without it banks would not be nearly as powerful and the government would find itself unable to raise an internal debt. But it is also the reason that someone as undeserving as Paris Hilton can live a life of luxury and why so many people cannot afford post-secondary education. Personally I refuse to participate in something that promotes class conflict, and I hate people who feel that they are deserving of the money that they receive.

When I first got onto this page and saw that Social Bacon had negative things to say about me, I felt a little bad. When I read his posts and realized that he's a crusader, not so much anymore at all. By the way, you're inheriting _tons_ more than I have. Ever had. If you think that money does not belong to you even though your grandfather in his wisdom saw to it that his loved ones would prosper that's your own business. But don't go around accusing others of using what they get.
The world is an unfair place. If you want to make it level, travel to the poorest country and give ALL of it to the people who need it most.
Guess what. It's still an unfair place. Why? Because you just neglected those who need it second-to-most. And they still need it pretty bad.
The world is only unfair because people make it unfair. Excuse me if I try to do my best to fight inequality.

I'm all for charity (I've been working in an NGO for 4 years now) but I didn't come to this life to make it better for everyone else. I want a slice of the pie, too, and if I get it earlier because my ancestors baked a really big one, awesome.
This is the attitude I *hate.* How can you believe that you deserve a comfortable life because someone you know had one? That robs the millions of people that will work harder than you but live less well. If you want to accept inheritance then feel free to do so, but try to do good in the world rather than just live off the backs of others and feel good yourself.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #62 on: 24 Jul 2008, 12:38 »

Inheritance is the reason that until comparatively recently the UK was completely ruled by the aristocracy, who were able to hand down not only power in the form of money and land but even hereditary membership of the House of Lords and therefore direct political power. These people never earned that money, they had it because long ago their ancestors had been better at seizing power and exploiting the labour of others. Inheritance perpetuates this.

On the other hand, so do countries, large corporations and capitalism in general. Inheritance of money and assets (as opposed to personal possessions) is just one of many things that keep the world hideously unequal and it seems a little unfair for it and those that benefit from it to be singled out. They're no more culpable for the injustice in the world than anyone else who's benefited in some way from the current system, which I would guess is anyone at all reading this, unless of course they inherit vast sums and keep them, but that is no more immoral than earning vast sums and utilising them all yourself.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

mooface

« Reply #63 on: 24 Jul 2008, 13:04 »

man, social bacon, i think you sound pretty ridiculous and kind of full of yourself.  inheritance is probably among the least of our society's problems when it comes to inequality.  there are plenty of other issues that would affect people much more directly when it comes to standing on level ground with everyone else.  it's far more disturbing that people don't have the same level of access to health care or education based on their economic standing.  the problem isn't really that some people have a lot, but that a lot of people will never have a chance to have enough to live.

what would you rather that your grandfather had done with the money?  donated it?  had it given to the government?
as evernew hinted at, most people want to see their earnings benefit those they love.  i doubt i will ever be a millionaire but i know that if i ever plan to have children i would want to be in a situation where i could provide them with anything they needed, and whatever i had left over i would gladly give to them.  actually, this even applies to any of the people i love - friends or family.  i want to see them happy and safe, and if i had a lot of money when i died i would gladly leave it to them so that i could have peace of mind that they could live with some extra security.

there is no use feeling guilty or indignant over your inheritance.  you being $100,000 richer or poorer isn't going to solve anybody else's poverty.  yeah, it sucks to see people like paris hilton with everything handed to them - and they are the ones who should have a guilty conscience because they are shitty people who take & don't give back.  i guess their parents should have taught them manners instead of just throwing money at them or something?
but you're obviously not a paris hilton so what are you worrying about?  your grandfather was glad to give you the money because he hoped that you would do something good with it.  so you should do good with it - invest towards an eco-sustainable house?  travel to developing countries and help the hungry?  you can do a lot of good with it!  but be smart about it and see it as an opportunity to achieve something that you otherwise couldn't.  don't just throw a bunch of cash at some charities just to soothe your guilt.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2008, 13:06 by mooface »

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #64 on: 24 Jul 2008, 13:54 »

I maintain that individuals only deserve what they earn.

If individuals deserve what they earn I think it is pretty ridiculous to say that they shouldn't be able to do whatever they like with what they have earned. So if someone decides they would like to leave some money to their children (for whatever reason) the only reason I can see the children not deserving that money is if they use it against their parents wishes. Perhaps you should consider the fact that people do not always work to earn money solely for themselves but do actually want to use some of their money to support their family.

But it is also the reason that someone as undeserving as Paris Hilton can live a life of luxury and why so many people cannot afford post-secondary education. Personally I refuse to participate in something that promotes class conflict, and I hate people who feel that they are deserving of the money that they receive.

I'd say that having a problem with Paris Hilton because of her bank balance, or hating someone for getting inheritence for that matter, is promoting class conflict.

How can you believe that you deserve a comfortable life because someone you know had one?
That robs the millions of people that will work harder than you but live less well. If you want to accept inheritance then feel free to do so, but try to do good in the world rather than just live off the backs of others and feel good yourself.

While I don't believe that I deserve a comfortable life simply because my parents (and grandparents) worked hard to have one I do believe that my parents worked hard so they could help me also have a comfortable life, and frankly I think it is a little bit rude to tell them that they should leave their money to someone more in need of it. That would be a really great thing for anyone to do, but it doesn't make you a bad person if you prioritise your own family.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: 24 Jul 2008, 15:26 »

I was born with two eyes. How can I, in good conscience, live being able to see whilst so many others are blind? Send me the money so I can pay for an operation to have my eyes removed, my liberal guilt just can't take it anymore.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #66 on: 24 Jul 2008, 15:50 »

Social Bacon, I do not mean to be the twentieth person tearing into you, but let me try to tell you how I see it.

You said yourself that you are pretty much covering all of your costs with financial aid form the government. If you are doing this, how can you justify not taking the money that has been left to you? You are actually holding one hundred thousand dollars out of the market. In addition to that, you are taking money in financial aid from people that are actually in a position where they require the money to get through college.

I'm going to be very frank with you. If you have $100,000 sitting around in a shoebox somewhere, you are depriving another of a college education. Honestly, you can afford it. You did not earn the money that you are getting in financial aid, and you are the one widening the gap between rich and the poor in the nation. You are not fighting inequality, you are breeding it. Inequality comes from people who do not need the money they are given taking it, you are playing the wealthy man getting a tax break you don't deserve. You are being given money on the basis that you do not have enough to cover it yourself. News flash: You Can. The only difference between the inheritance you are objecting to and the financial aid you are receiving is that the financial aid is not being provided to people who can and will use it to pay genuine costs.

Come on, you seem to be a competent individual. You're smarter than this.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #67 on: 24 Jul 2008, 19:54 »

Whatever anyone does with $100,000, at the very least they have to put it in a big pile and then roll around in it laughing madly. After that you can do what you like with it. If you don't, I have no respect for you as a person.   
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #68 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:26 »

I already said that if I had the option I'd deny the money altogether.
"It's yours because you get to determine it's use, not because of where it comes from!"
That's basically exactly what my mother said. But I disagree, I maintain that individuals only deserve what they earn.

You didn't earn your parents financial situation. Maybe you should deny your upbringing, deny the social and emotional education your parents gave you, the primary and secondary education your government gave you, pay back the cost of giving birth to and raising you, then set off on your own to earn your way. I don't believe people 'deserve' anything, otherwise a lot of good people would still be alive, and a lot of alive people would be dead.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #69 on: 25 Jul 2008, 05:23 »

Inheritance is the reason that until comparatively recently the UK was completely ruled by the aristocracy, who were able to hand down not only power in the form of money and land but even hereditary membership of the House of Lords and therefore direct political power. These people never earned that money, they had it because long ago their ancestors had been better at seizing power and exploiting the labour of others. Inheritance perpetuates this.

Don't you inherit debt in the UK, too? I mean, I realise that in the US that means there is a lot of money that just disappears when someone dies, and a lot of money lenders that just end up sucking it up and cutting their losses, but basically if someone leaves debts their estate is liquidated to pay for it and if the estate (personal wealth, life insurance, actual house-estate, etc) is not enough, it just kind of goes away. At least, I am pretty sure that's what happens. It might be more complicated legally.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #70 on: 25 Jul 2008, 08:22 »

i inherited $20,000 from my grandparents when they died but all i did with it was put it in a savings account and go "man, that takes care of all my grad school worries."
donating it to charity would be nice too but i just have too much financial anxiety to do that. personally, i consider going to school and getting a degree that will allow me to have a lot of influence in whatever career i choose to pursue a much more worthwhile investment of time and money than just handing it over to someone else because i feel guilty for having it. money itself doesn't really solve anything, it's what you do with it that makes the biggest difference in the long run.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 25 Jul 2008, 11:58 »

Don't you inherit debt in the UK, too? I mean, I realise that in the US that means there is a lot of money that just disappears when someone dies, and a lot of money lenders that just end up sucking it up and cutting their losses, but basically if someone leaves debts their estate is liquidated to pay for it and if the estate (personal wealth, life insurance, actual house-estate, etc) is not enough, it just kind of goes away. At least, I am pretty sure that's what happens. It might be more complicated legally.

Britain, like the US and Canada, has a system where the estate of the deceased is assigned to an administrator designated in the will, or if there was no will (ie. the deceased died "intestate") to a living relative or court appointed administrator.  If the deceased has debts outstanding, the administrator of the estate will generally pay the debts out of the assets of the estate.  It is possible in most jurisdictions to voluntarily assume the debts of the deceased (although the creditors will generally have to agree to it), however the practice of forcing the children to pay for the estate of the parents was abandoned in the 19th century.  Along with, you know, debtor's prison.  As you said, if the debts are greater than the assets and no one opts to assume them, they disappear with the liquidation of the estate.

On the other hand, if your spouse has debts they didn't tell you about and you have an estate in common (depends on the jurisdiction) it is still possible in some jurisdictions to end up on the hook if they pass away.  Hence the title of my upcoming screenplay "Don't Marry A Gambling Addict in Texas".

Finally, to Social Bacon, you've been misinformed.  No one can force you to take the money.  From your description, it appears that your grandfather left the money in trust.  Once the trust opens, you can renounce your inheritance (assuming that you can't renounce it right now which would depend on your jurisdiction) and in the most likely scenario (again depending on jurisdiction) the money will be split up according to a complicated formula among the remaining heirs.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2008, 12:03 by pilsner »

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #72 on: 25 Jul 2008, 17:25 »

I still think you're better off giving the money to charity if you don't want it. Make an anonymous donation and just forget about it if you don't actually want the money (I would totally take the money, but then I have no problem with accepting things like that). At least then it might have a chance of doing something good. If you do deny it then it will just go to other people who "didn't earn it" and it doesn't sound like you are fond of that idea either.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jul 2008, 18:42 »

This is the attitude I *hate.* How can you believe that you deserve a comfortable life because someone you know had one? That robs the millions of people that will work harder than you but live less well. If you want to accept inheritance then feel free to do so, but try to do good in the world rather than just live off the backs of others and feel good yourself.

How do you know they work harder?
And true equality will never happen. Someone is always a fuckbag and either gets ahead or gets what they deserve.

True equality would mean you throwing out all the earthly possessions you have until you are on par with the global average. But that would be silly, wouldn't it?

And you quoted me saying that I do NGO work and have done so for all my adult and most of my adolescent life. If that's not doing good in the world then what is? I think getting involved is better than dropping money into a charity. Plus, if you've read my post as I assume you have because you aimed at everything I said and made it look bad - I've worked for one entire year full-time. And I'm done with school. And I'm 22. Try finding people in my country that get it done and tell me how many you found. Hint: it's not many.

The inheritance / deserving or undeserving has been covered. But to clarify: My parents did not disown people to get rich and neither did anyone in the last 10 generations. Instead, my ancestors have been disowned. Arguing against inheritance (aside from royalty which I believe must die like common beggars and petty thieves) is arguing against the free will of what to do with your money. You pick your mating partner based on the optimum you can achieve for your children. Genetic imperative. In a world completely ruled by money, it is not only logical but inevitable that my parents will try to give me the optimum they can achieve. It may be unfair but it's the way it is.

Justice is great but impractical. And arguing on an internet forum will not change it. The fact that you have a) the internet at your disposal and b) enough time to argue about it means that you are way more privileged than the average world citizen. Which is because you were born in a fortunate country to parents that saw fit that you survive and get educated etc.
You'd have to give all that away if you truly opposed the notion of inheritance. Just saying.

This is the last thing I want to say about this. There are more important things to worry about for both of us.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #74 on: 25 Jul 2008, 22:51 »

What a bizarre argument to be having.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #75 on: 26 Jul 2008, 01:37 »

Interestingly enough, the morality of accepting financial assistance is perhaps the biggest thing on my mind lately.

I've been working part-time since I was 14.  I've saved up a small amount, but basically I'm only a few hundred better off now, savings-account-wise, than I was then--I financed a three-month period of studying abroad in Italy last year, and since beginning work I've paid for all my own car insurance, gas, personal expenses etc.  I am moving out with my boyfriend in a month and starting graduate school, and if my current savings account was all I had to live on, I would be in trouble.

However, I was in a criminally negligent tourist trolley-bus accident when I was 13, and was a party in a class-action lawsuit against the company, resulting in a $20,000 windfall at the age of 18 and a $51,000 windfall at the age of 21.  I often feel very guilty about this money.  If there's one thing that nettles me more than snotty trust fund kids, it's the frivolous lawsuit type.  But because this company allowed me and five friends to board a trolley that had no emergency brakes and many-times-reported failing regular brakes, I blacked out for several hours and had years of dizzy spells, my best friend had to have over fifty stitches in her face and several plastic surgeries just to get to a point where people don't stare at her on the street, and another friend of mine cracked his pelvis.  Sure, we're all pretty much fine now, but I try to believe that it wasn't really that frivolous.

Anyway, if I didn't have enough guilt about that, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stipulates that because I will be a graduate student, though I will only be 18, I am financially independent, loan- and grant-wise (and these, of course, are based on your last year's tax returns: I made about $6,000 last year).  Thus, though my parents are not poor, I have all my tuition covered in grants by the government, in addition to $12,000 per year in subsidized, interest-free loans. 

Similarly, within the next twenty years, I will likely inherit one quarter of my maternal grandparents' several million dollar estate and one tenth or so of my similarly monied paternal grandparents' estate (if it matters at all, both sets of grandparents worked their way up from the poverty line).

Until all this kicks in, though (I turn 18 in September), my parents will be helping me launch.  They'll probably end up short-term loaning me about $1000 for initial rental costs; some part of this will likely be a gift, and the rest of it will be no interest.  After that point, however, they will pay no part of my living costs save health insurance (and I may even relieve them of that, if student health appears adequate), and I'm happy with that.

My Jiminy Cricket sounds a little like Social Bacon, actually, which complicates matters.  I want to be independent, and I'm wary of being on crutches.  I've been in the workforce since it was legal, and I intend to continue to work hard throughout my life, but the fact is that I've got financial support from all sides.  Whether I'm mooching off the trolley company, from the federal government, from my grandparents, from my parents, or from all four, there's no way I can finance the PhD I intend to receive without some help.  Basically, I've come to the conclusion that if I can do that without any debt and without having to live on beans and rice, I shouldn't feel anything but gratitude.

So, for now, I'm living by that.  Thanks, financial supporters!  I couldn't do it without you!

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #76 on: 26 Jul 2008, 03:36 »

Social Bacon, you sound like one of those people I hate the most at uni: the trust fund Marxists. The only difference is that while their trust funds pay for their inner-city apartments and fast cars, yours is waved around as a prop: "Look at me! Look how idealistic I am! I have all this money but I don't want it! I'm an idealist, you're a sheep! Did I mention I'm an idealist? Why won't you look at me when we make love?"

Also, I don't think you know nearly as much about economics as you claim to.

Your options are this:

a) Withdraw the cash now, pay for your schooling, and take out an equivalent loan from a bank. Do something philanthropic with this loan. Shut up.
b) Do nothing, hit 30, take the money and give it to charity (pick one at random - Pat Rafter's Cherish The Children Foundation is my suggestion). Shut up.
c) Realise that you're being given an incredible, incredible opportunity that most people in the world would trade their eye teeth for. Take it, use it meaningfully in your own life or in someone else's, and go on to found a system of economics where your wealth ends with you. Otherwise, shut up.
d) Shut up.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #77 on: 26 Jul 2008, 04:40 »

I will be a graduate student, though I will only be 18

Mad Skillz.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #78 on: 26 Jul 2008, 04:57 »

More liek nerrrrrrrrrrrd.

AMIRITE?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #79 on: 26 Jul 2008, 06:10 »

Thanks, financial supporters!  I couldn't do it without you!

Wow, I'm glad things didn't go really horribly with that screwy trolley. As for the big inheritances later in life, if you're receiving one quarter then is any money going to your parents? No need for you to post details here, but if they aren't getting much directly then I certainly hope you are planning to give some of the money to them; no matter what one thinks of their parents, they deserve it.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #80 on: 26 Jul 2008, 11:00 »

My maternal grandparents only have four living heirs: their two daughters, my brother, and me.  It's surely more complicated than I made it sound, figures-wise (I know, for instance, that some part of that money has been allocated to a special needs trust for my autistic brother), but however the cookie crumbles my parents will be getting their fair share.  Not that I wouldn't want them to.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #81 on: 26 Jul 2008, 12:08 »

Sorry for being on hiatus for a while, but I do agree that it's time to put this argument to bed. At least we can agree on something. I'll just say a few things before packing it in.

How do you know they work harder?
And true equality will never happen. Someone is always a fuckbag and either gets ahead or gets what they deserve.
I was just assuming that there's millions of people in impoverished nations that work a fuckload harder than either of us and are less well off.
And I know true equality is impossible, but I'll be damned if I don't try my best to fight against inequality.

Social Bacon, you sound like one of those people I hate the most at uni: the trust fund Marxists. The only difference is that while their trust funds pay for their inner-city apartments and fast cars, yours is waved around as a prop: "Look at me! Look how idealistic I am! I have all this money but I don't want it! I'm an idealist, you're a sheep! Did I mention I'm an idealist? Why won't you look at me when we make love?"

Also, I don't think you know nearly as much about economics as you claim to.

Your options are this:

a) Withdraw the cash now, pay for your schooling, and take out an equivalent loan from a bank. Do something philanthropic with this loan. Shut up.
b) Do nothing, hit 30, take the money and give it to charity (pick one at random - Pat Rafter's Cherish The Children Foundation is my suggestion). Shut up.
c) Realise that you're being given an incredible, incredible opportunity that most people in the world would trade their eye teeth for. Take it, use it meaningfully in your own life or in someone else's, and go on to found a system of economics where your wealth ends with you. Otherwise, shut up.
d) Shut up.
I know I'm an idealist, but I generally keep my mouth shut because I know it pisses people off. I figured this is an anonymous forum and perhaps a good place to debate.
I've already said that I'm planning to do something philanthropic with the loan. I should have said that I can't actually access the money right now due to some serious legal shit that no one wants to hear me explain.
And I thought we were each allowed our own opinion.

Social Bacon is, from my impression of him at least, a pretty nice guy that has got a shitload of money to spend one way or another, probably on something that will help others. I really don't see why either of them should be mad at each other for whatever reason, both wants to do good.
For the moment I have only the money I earn from working two shitty jobs. But thank you.

You didn't earn your parents financial situation. Maybe you should deny your upbringing, deny the social and emotional education your parents gave you, the primary and secondary education your government gave you, pay back the cost of giving birth to and raising you, then set off on your own to earn your way. I don't believe people 'deserve' anything, otherwise a lot of good people would still be alive, and a lot of alive people would be dead.
Sorry, I had to still be argumentative, but you're just being foolish and missing the point.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2008, 10:08 by Social Bacon »

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #82 on: 27 Jul 2008, 06:49 »

I know I'm an idealist, but I generally keep my mouth shut because I know it pisses people off. I figured this is an anonymous forum and perhaps a good place to debate.

Yes but you're not an idealist. An idealist is someone with, well, an ideal. You're just a child on a vague half-formed guilt trip.

If you want it in impressive-sounding terms, temper your idealism with pragmatism. (i.e. fuck up, and do something with the chance you've got.)

I've already said that I'm planning to do something philanthropic with the loan. I should have said that I can't actually access the money right now due to some serious legal shit that no one wants to hear me explain.

Read closely. Use the money to pay your uni loan off, and take out another loan of equal value. Do something with it, and earn interest. That way you can be just like us poor students and not feel guilty.

And I thought we were each allowed our own opinion.

Yes we are. Here's mine.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #83 on: 27 Jul 2008, 06:58 »

What a ridiculous argument to be having.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #84 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:05 »

Sorry, I had to still be argumentative, but you're just being foolish and missing the point.
That's weird, because I thought that this point that Ali and I think one or two others made, in slightly different ways, is pretty damn valid. Pretty much every advantage we have over people who live in poverty is because our countries have inherited vast amounts of wealth which they pretty much took from their colonies, and then from the post-colonies even more. I know this is an extremely simple analysis of colonialism and whatever, but it's still valid. We are rich because our ancestors were rich. Inheritance isn't the cause of inequality, it's a symptom.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #85 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:35 »

I am intrigued. Tell us more about this unique anatomical feature!

Eye teeth = upper canines (the teeth under the eyes; and their nerves go close to the eyes).  

"Give my eye teeth for" = "give my right arm for" etc; common English idiom.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #86 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:40 »

I figured this is an anonymous forum and perhaps a good place to debate.

Anonymity does not improve debate, but in my opinion degrades it.

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up