THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston!!  (Read 4682 times)

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
Boston!!
« on: 23 Jul 2008, 16:24 »

hi,
I'm going to be in boston for a few days. I need some ideas on what to do.

also any good restaurants i should eat at?

Thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2008, 16:31 by orangepeas »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: Boston!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2008, 17:10 »

Go to the Aquarium!

They have penguins!

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2008, 17:37 »

- Punjabi Dhaba http://boston.citysearch.com/review/4747709 - mouse-infested, authentic roadside indian

- boca grande - $5 burrito that will make you angry every time you see a chipotle. (coolidge corner, porter square)

- stephanie's on newbury - if "sophisticated comfort food" sounds good to you (get the wasabi tuna salad, or the pork chop)

- darwin's - mt. auburn st. cambridge - awesomely fancy sandwiches.

- bukowski's (inman sq) 100+ beers on tap. make sure you spin the wheel to choose your beer.

- see a show at TT the Bears (the harder rocking, little brother of The Middle East).
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2008, 17:39 »

Boston is meh. come to New York instead.

(I kid, I want to go to Boston myself actually, when you've been, tell us what to do, or depending on what you do, what not to do).
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

orangepeas

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2008, 18:34 »

awesome! thanks you!

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2008, 18:38 »

- boca grande - $5 burrito that will make you angry every time you see a chipotle. (coolidge corner, porter square)

YES

Also, go for a trip down Newberry Street, there's nice things to buy if you want to spend some cash.

The aquarium is also a good place to look at penguins, which are pretty rad.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2008, 19:27 »

Man, I don't know about the rest of you, but a burrito from Boston just doesn't really sound like the thing to be excited about to me. In fact, a Boston Burrito pretty much just sounds like a horrific scat-based sexual act. I disapprove of you, Boston.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2008, 19:35 »

Dude, that is just because you have not had a burrito from this place. They have one with plantains and shit in it. It's great stuff
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2008, 19:37 »

Man I have never eaten a burrito and stopped to think "Oh shit! This needs a plantain, motherfucker! That would be the illest ingredient to pimp this motherfuckin' burrito out!" No. I have never thought that.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Plasticity

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2008, 19:56 »

Boston is awesome. I suggest you find some Berklee students and get drunk with them.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2008, 20:20 »

Boston's one of my favorite cities in America. You really can't go wrong, whatever you decide to do there.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2008, 20:57 »

Man I have never eaten a burrito and stopped to think "Oh shit! This needs a plantain, motherfucker! That would be the illest ingredient to pimp this motherfuckin' burrito out!" No. I have never thought that.

I have never eaten a burrito. It's because I come from the first world.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2008, 21:47 »

Ozy is dead on on that one.  a Burrito needs either red or green Hatch chile on it.  Lots of it, else it isn't a burrito, just a shitty sammich wrap.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2008, 01:27 »

ITS MORE THAN A FEEEELING (MORE THAN A FEELING)
WHEN I HEAR THAT OLD SONG THEY USED TO PLAY (THAN A  FEEELING)
AND I BEGIN DREEEAAMIN' (I BEGIN DREAMIN')
TILL I SEE MARIANNE WALKIN' AWAAAAY

But on subject, burritos are really delicious.
Hate, rain on me

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2008, 07:43 »

It all depends on when you're going. Making definitive plans for Boston is very weather dependent. For the record, the weather's supposed to be absolutely miserable for the next week, but it's looking to be gorgeous next weekend.

It also depends on what you're into. Boston is a rather diverse place and there's tons of things to do. Looking through your post history, it seems that you dig photography. Would that be accurate?

If so, that's going to be a great advantage for you. There are so many disgustingly good photo ops in this city. My best recommendation on that end? When you get into town, take the red line on the subway to Kendall Square (This is just outside the city proper and into Cambridge). From there, walk towards the river (Just ask someone when you get off) and walk across the bridge (Longfellow Bridge). There are a ton of gorgeous views on both sides (Though you can't cross from one to the other from on the bridge, since the train goes over it). The one caveat here is that this is time dependent. If you're going very soon, you won't be able to do this properly. You'll get good views of the Eastern side of the city, but the bridge is undergoing heavy maintenance right now and one side of the bridge is closed to pedestrians.

Once you cross the bridge, you're in Boston. From there, you've got two potential quality routes. You can either keep going straight and you'll pass through Government Center after a fashion, which is good for cityscapes and the like, or you can follow along the river across the Esplanade which has great riverviews and more trees and parks. I'd recommend the former, as it gives more variety.

If you follow along Cambridge Street (Going straight), you'll come across Boston Commons after about fifteen to twenty minutes. From there, I'd recommend cutting across the park. If you cut straight through, you'll get great park shots and you'll be able to see the swan boats and the Public Gardens and it will lead you to the already recommended Newbury Street. The shops are all well and good, but Newbury Street is gorgeous to look at. It's got a good earthy vibe to it and there's some beautiful looking churches. If you follow Newbury Street to the end and take a left, that'll lead you over near Berklee. If you take a left just before there, it'll lead you towards the Prudential Center and Copley Square, both great areas for pictures. You can also ride the elevators to the top of the Prudential Center for some great shots (Though you have to pay for the top floor's access, just below that is fine too). Prudential and Copley Plaza have some great shopping too. If you follow that road straight down, you're going to run parallel to Newbury and come back to the Commons, which you can take a left just shy of to get to the aforementioned Esplanade.

This route will give you a pretty all encompassing walk of the city's best landmarks, though there's other areas worth exploring. Two stops north of the Kendall stop is Harvard Square. Just behind Government Center is Fanuel Hall and just past that is the harbor and the Aquarium. Past Newbury Street is Fenway Park which, baseball fan or not, is a great sight.

Considering the ugly rain today, I don't plan on going out for lunch, so I'll see if I can mark a couple things on a google map in MS Paint for you on my lunch hour.

There's many other things to do, great music, great food, etc. Maybe give some details and I can provide some better advice. Just popping in and saying "I'm going here, what should I do" is entirely too subjective to give any decent advice for.

Edit: Also, are you planning on staying in the city itself, or one of the suburbs? Some places are easier to access from others and that can have a big effect.

The aforementioned Aquarium is great, but also, there's the Museum of Science, which is a blast.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2008, 07:45 by 0bsessions »
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2008, 08:00 »

Ozy is dead on on that one.  a Burrito needs either red or green Hatch chile on it.  Lots of it, else it isn't a burrito, just a shitty sammich wrap.

Plantains taste like weird potatoes. I don't want them in my burrito.

On the subject of Boston, I want to go and probably will in January!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2008, 08:08 »

Hooray! One more person that I won't get to see. [/petulant]
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:42 »

:(
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2008, 12:58 »

I would like to go to Boston, it's supposed to have many parallels to Chicago and is therefore awesome.
You should see a Red Sox game.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

parm

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2008, 14:31 »

Go and see my friend Cathy who definitely won't be at all freaked out at random people from the internets turning up to say hello to her for no good reason.
You've got spunk and balls, Jen. And I like that in a woman.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2008, 14:34 »

Maybe visit Poe's grave?
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2008, 15:46 »

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others are I have not seen
as others saw I could not bring
my passions from a common spring

Poe makes me cry, I love him.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2008, 16:06 »

Are we talking about Edgar Allen Poe here?

Because he's not buried in Boston. He was born here and there are a few Poe related landmarks, but he's buried in Baltimore.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2008, 16:11 »

well that sucks.
I guess.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #24 on: 24 Jul 2008, 16:17 »

?

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2008, 16:59 »

Maybe you were thinking of Bedgar Ballan Bpoe or Snedgar Snallan Snow?

On things to do in Boston, recently I went to a wedding reception at this place http://www.upstairsonthesquare.com and it was truly gorgeous, if you want something a little fancy. The food was great and the decor is really cool.

orangepeas

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2008, 18:48 »

Wow! thanks!

I already have some photography stuff planned out with a fellow photographer about 30 mins from Boston. Newbury is a definite on my list. There's this neat guitar store that I want to check out and since I love mexican food I'll also get a burrito.

I'm going to take 0bsessions idea and spend part of a day around that park. I'm not sure where I'm staying because I haven't made those arrangements yet. I'm assuming I'll be staying at a hotel just outside of the city.

Oh and I'll make sure I listen to that Boston song while I'm in Boston, you know to get the whole effect hehe.

I'm very excited, I've been wanting to go to Boston since forever!

Dissy

• The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jul 2008, 21:20 »

Know what, if you are going to Listen to Boton while in Boston, listen to Peace of Mind
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Katherine

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2008, 16:57 »

Boston is a really fun city to visit.  I've been three times and I will be going again in a few months to celebrate my big Three-oh! in style!  I don't really have any recommendations for you aside from what other people have said, but I hope you have a great trip and I hope you post some of the photos you take once you arrive safely home! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up