Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zines?  (Read 4558 times)

tuna ketchup x

Zines?
« on: 27 Jul 2008, 21:22 »

Just wondering, does anyone here do a zine? Personal/political/comix especially, but music would be okay too. I do one but don't really want to talk about it until I find out if there are others here who zine. But I would be down with trading with any of you all.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Re: Zines?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008, 22:31 »

Not at the moment but I've been wanting to do a new issue of one I did a while back. It was a mix of the personal and cultural but all approached with a political perspective. Sadly there don't seem to be many around these days, it seems people blog instead. I don't mind blogs, but nothing beats a cut and paste zine and getting ink on your hands reading someone's rants about the world.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:00 »

I have kind of an online zine if that counts?

in sig.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2008, 20:58 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2008, 15:39 »

a friend of mine and I were actually thinking of starting a little 'zine, mostly creative/political writing, some music stuff too most likely, any general advice?

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2008, 17:52 »

I contribute to a couple of zines here in London.  One is called ACHTUNG! assembled by a collective called The Notorious Trouppe, for which I've done an illustration and am currently working on three short EC Comics inspired horror strips, and the other is called The Nine.  The October issue of that whill be comic themed, and once I get clear of these other comittments with ACHTUNG! and Notorious, we'll be sussing out plans for that.  Probably a one or two page strip.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2008, 14:57 »

My friend asked if I'd be interested in writing and doing other stuff for a zine. I haven't heard back, so I'm not sure if/when it's happening. I'll let you know if it does though!

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2008, 06:24 »

My friend asked if I'd be interested in writing and doing other stuff for a zine. I haven't heard back, so I'm not sure if/when it's happening. I'll let you know if it does though!

Cool!

pat 101, the best advice I can give you is to get a copy of Stolen Sharpie Revolution by Alex Wrekk. All other how to make/distribute zine books are crap, but this one is actually written by a zinester (who I Internet-know, but this isn't a plug) with many years' experience. Also, don't make too many copies of your first zine (twenty will be appropriate, you can always make more!), don't overcharge (too many people on Etsy try to sell their 12-page quarter-sized zine for $3, not happening!), and try to have some kind of a theme to the zine instead of a kitchen sink approach. I've only ever worked with a partner once, and our split was two zines packaged in the same envelope instead of a true split zine. I'm kind of a lone wolf. But it seems there's a trend in the zine world toward more collaborations and less personal one-(wo)man-show zines. I guess if you're both working on the SAME zine make sure you're on the same wavelength re: the presentation of the zine, the layout, what will be inside, if you're going to distro it (zine distros: online stores which sell multiple zines online and through the mail and table at events, mine opens for real on October 1, they can be a great way to give your zine exposure), how the money/responsibility will be handled (for our split, my partner moved right after we finished the "joint" so I paid for the copying but also got all the "proceeds," not that there was profit, because it's not about profit!), and so forth. Also, get a long-handled stapler. It's a lot less frustrating than trying to assemble a half-sized zine by placing it on the ground, stapling with a regular stapler, then bending back every staple individually. Good luck!  :-)  :-D

dancarter, I'd like to read that comics issue of The Nine when it comes out, let me know!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2008, 00:08 »

I'm not sure I've ever really seen a zine! I would make one but I would not know what it should be or what to do with it. Perhaps I shall check out that book.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up