THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 16:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God of War  (Read 4517 times)

Imnawtinsane

God of War
« on: 13 Aug 2008, 22:47 »

Mmmmm The new and up coming god of war title has me playing the series from the start. I get Kratos through all the drudgery of the temple of pandora, I start the battle with Ares, (Spartan, aka hard mode fyi) and get to the final stage. I then hit pause to goto the bathroom, my system freezes. This is the WORST loss I've had since the time my cartridge got wiped (saved before last boss) on final fantasy 4.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: God of War
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2008, 23:06 »

As far as current/last-gen brawlers go I much prefer Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. It seems like people lavish praise on the God of War story but having played through a chunk of the second game and knowing the major points of the first (and having seen the endings of both) it seems to be strictly Xena:Warrior Princess C-story material (in fact, I'm pretty sure the final episodes of that series are God of War) But then, people liked Halo's story too. GoW doesn't have the excuse of multiplayer, though.

Man, there have been a lot of "___ of War" games lately, haven't there? Dawn of War, God of War, Gears of War, etc.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Imnawtinsane

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2008, 23:13 »

points of interest:
1. Kickass fighting. very fun. If you're playing Action Adventure series, that's what you're here for.  :laugh:
2. graphics.  :-o beautiful scenery. excellent actions to accompany your button mashing (which is more than spam X to kill)
3. reactionaries. excellent use of reaction buttons, whether its making a minotaur eat your blade of chaos or ripping off a gorgon's head, it's fantastic.
4. hard as hell.  :-D  Hard mode is just as advertised, HARD! as it should be, too many easy games are running around.
5. greek myth theme. I enjoy it, it may not be everyone's favorite but i sure enjoy a good greek myth!

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2008, 23:22 »

But then, people liked Halo's story too.

Lord, I just recently finished Halo 3's campaign and now that I have finsihed them all I can honestly say the story seems reminiscent of a made for TV Sci-Fi Channel movie.

God of War.. meh.  I don't know why, but the action just wasn't that exciting to me once the wow factor wore off and the story just kind of feels like they needed an excuse.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2008, 23:26 »

The three reasons anybody play it are the puzzles, polish and setpieces.  The combat is OK, the story is pretty dumb, there are way too many quick-time events (seriously, after about 30 over the course of a couple hours, I got tired of 'em quick).

And it's not a myth, it's a story cobbled together mostly from Hesiod's Theogeny, and borrowing things from Homer's Iliad, the Herculean myths, and a couple other 'side' myths.

I'm not gonna lie, I want to play GoW2 again, but it is definitely not for the story or combat.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2008, 19:25 »

:-D - It's for the nudity!

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2008, 21:38 »

Tits on the PS2 are rather rough-looking.  And the nipples look weird. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2008, 12:12 »

The main thing that draws me into God of War is the puzzles and I really like the boss battles. The regular fighting can get really boring with just mindless button mashing.  Also you're not going to get a sex mini game like that out of rhythm games like PaRappa the Rappa.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:09 »

I loved the visceral brutality. Nothing like force-feeding your enemy his own arms after slapping him around some.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2008, 14:36 »

polish and setpieces.

This.

I mean, sure, as Ackblom pointed out, once the "wow!" factor wears off, there's not really all that much left other than a pretty well polished action game. But answer me this: what's the last ps2 game that managed to have a "wow!" factor at all? Along with Shadows of the Collossus, God of War is one of the few games that pops into my mind when I think of games that forced me to admit "okay, yeah, that was pretty cool." In a marketplace where booby trapped doom fortresses are a dime a dozen, God of War is willing to go the extra mile by strapping said fortress onto the back of Kronos, the chained titan who is cursed by the gods to wander the desert for eternity. Maybe it's not revolutionary, but I still appreciate the obvious craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2008, 17:20 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2008, 18:44 »

Sorry to say, but the only thing that I truly care for now that involves God of War is the pre-order code that lets you use Kratos Sackboy

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2008, 12:41 »

The God of War series are some of my favorite games. I like the simplified combat, I like ripping a soldier in half with a single press, I like stabbing a cyclops in the nuts then scaling his back to rip out his eye without having to memorize some bullshit combo. I like the Ancient Greek setting (a major draw; I've never played Devil May Cry, despite hearing that it's similar, because there's not enough Greece), and that it's more similar to Greek myth (in spirit, obviously) than something like...Spartan: Total Warrior or 300 is to real history.

Though I did get the 300 game too.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2008, 19:52 »

Holding out for GoW3 on PS3. Always enjoyed the combat. Such fun!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2008, 11:30 »

I liked God of War but the sequel was pretty much the same game with different [slightly] enemies and story. The overall concept of having to go on an epic journey to a temple with a powerful artifact at the core, before squaring off against a god was awfully formulaic. They might be able to conquer the repetition with the third one or maybe the PSP version doesn't follow as exactly but I'm not going to buy a system to find out if a series I kind of enjoy made any progress.

That Sackflour guy dressed as Kratos is awesome though.
Arrogance and ignorance rolled into one sexy package

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2008, 19:12 »

I liked God of War but the sequel was pretty much the same game with different [slightly] enemies and story. The overall concept of having to go on an epic journey to a temple with a powerful artifact at the core, before squaring off against a god was awfully formulaic. They might be able to conquer the repetition with the third one or maybe the PSP version doesn't follow as exactly but I'm not going to buy a system to find out if a series I kind of enjoy made any progress.

The PSP version has a different plot. Without spoiling too much... Five years before the first game (when Kratos was a servant of the gods), Atlas escaped from his bonds in Tartarus and captured Helios, the Sun God. The world plunges into darkness and without Helios' power to oppose him, Morpheus' (God of Dreams) influence has swelled and nearly all the gods and mortals have fallen into a deep sleep. Kratos has to rescue Helios or the world will be locked in unending slumber.
Pages: [1]   Go Up