THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Your home towns  (Read 37090 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Your home towns
« on: 28 Jul 2008, 07:50 »

So, where do you live, and what does it look like right now?

Sun's finally found its way back to stockholm, and the city's as pretty as it's ever been... I've been roaming around taking pics with my silly phone so as to give some of my friends abroad an idea of how lovely this city is, in the summer: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/564550411KNHenF

I've mostly been hanging out in central sthlm, so obviously these aren't representative of the whole city, and there're a lot more lovely things to be found... but these pics feature some of my favourite summer hangouts :)

My favourite spot for reading:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2892901720067170648uYPolQ

Great place right smack in the middle of town, but on a little island... the boat is part of a hostel, so there're a few friendly tourists around at all times :) you can sit on the warm stone steps and read until the sun sets late at night (steps face westish, of course).

Perhaps my favourite view:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2563672620067170648ozsZcG

It's from a little road on the side of a mountain. I discovered it recently, and I think it's one of the sweetest places in town if you want to do cheesy things like sit and cuddle and watch the sun set. It's like the road was just made for romantic things like that... with nice wooden benches, flowers and trees everywhere, etc.

My hood (sorta):

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2181421770067170648oyPfFG

Music:

http://www.box.net/shared/lxonlakg0g

http://www.box.net/shared/p2euxqqw48

It's only recently that I've started exploring what's been my home town for the past 16 years, and it's been surprising to find so many totally sweet spots in a city that so often feels so crowded and stressful. Nice parks, pretty streets, gorgeous cafés, hangouts by the water that aren't packed full of German tourists (or too many other Stockholmers). They've always been there, I just haven't taken the time to find them... wish I had, 'cause it's useful as hell to know of nice places to go that not too many other people know/care about. This project will probably keep me busy for a few decades though... you know how those little hideouts never stay hidden for very long!
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 07:54 by Aimless »
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: Your home towns
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2008, 07:52 »

I envy you.  I'll get pictures up when I get home.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2008, 08:48 »

My town isn't nearly that exciting. I come from Battle Lake, Minnesota and there is really nothing special about it. We have a lake, a school that houses preschool through 12th grade, a quaint little downtown area, and a statue of a giant Native American that is pretty much horrible.

During the winter it is all kinds of quiet. During the summer the tourists invade the place and it is ridiculously annoying. That is pretty much all.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:47 »

i live in salinas, california. the weather is very mild here... it has been in the 70s and sunny for weeks. unlike other parts of california, it is not on fire right now. it looks mostly like this.

they grow a lot of vegetables here. mostly lettuce.
they like to put up large wooden cutouts of people and their lettuce.

most people that live around here are hispanic and work in the produce industry. i also work in the produce industry, in a microbiology testing laboratory. this is francisco, he collects samples of vegetables for me to test for e. coli and salmonella.

also john steinbeck lived here and wrote books about salinas and monterey.

there is a cute downtown area called oldtown salinas.

and there is a newer uptown area that has all your standard big box chain stores.

i live in an apartment. it looks like this.

here is how the inside is.

i live near the pacific ocean. i go and visit it sometimes. my favorite place to visit it is asilomar state beach.

i like to go there because of the tide pools. oooohhh hermit crabs.

this is where i go yarn shopping.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

imapiratearg

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:59 »

I'm from the small, northeast town of Barre, Vermont.  Known to the rest of the state as "sketchy Barre" due to the fact that it is a hovel for drugs and crime.  It looks kind of pretty, I guess.  The statue there is a statue of the writer Robert Frost, I believe.

Montpelier - the Capital - on the other hand,is where I was born and raised for the first seven years of my life and I consider it my hometown.  It looks sort of like this.  It's a quaint little town.  Do a GIS for it and you'll get at least several thousand images of the Capital Building.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 10:37 by imapiratearg »

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2008, 10:19 »

I have family in Stowe, which I believe is not far from Barre. The pictures I've seen make the whole area look all cute and quaint. Perhaps someday I will take a trip there.
Liz is touching me.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2008, 10:29 »

I was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand
Into the bus stop to pick up a paper for my old man
I'd sit on his lap in that big old Buick and steer as we drove through town
He'd tousle my hair and say son take a good look around this is your hometown
This is your hometown
This is your hometown
This is your hometown

In '65 tension was running high at my high school
There was a lot of fights between the black and white
There was nothing you could do
Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
Words were passed in a shotgun blast
Troubled times had come to my hometown
My hometown
My hometown
My hometown

Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your hometown
Your hometown
Your hometown
Your hometown

Last night me and Kate we laid in bed
talking about getting out
Packing up our bags maybe heading south
I'm thirty-five we got a boy of our own now
Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good look around
This is your hometown

Ok so Im not Bruce Springsteen so my hometown isn't New Jersey, it is in fact Leeds. The finest city on earth.

It is hot at the moment, 23 degrees C but not very sunny.
For pics, wikipedia provides these shots which are pretty good.
Shot of the city centre, not all of it but a fair chunk.

This is Briggate, the main shopping street in Leeds and as many proud Leeds residents (and some, like me, who like pointless facts) will tell you is home to the first Harvey Nichols store outside of London.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

imapiratearg

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2008, 10:40 »

I have family in Stowe, which I believe is not far from Barre. The pictures I've seen make the whole area look all cute and quaint. Perhaps someday I will take a trip there.

Stowe's between an hour to two hours from Barre, I think.  Barre looks quaint from afar, but it's sketchy as shit.  You are likely to be stabbed or raped or both if you walk the streets at night.  There is also an abundance of white kids dressed like black people and white trash.  It's hardly an interesting town.  Go to Montpelier.  For real.

Leeds looks lovely!
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 10:43 by imapiratearg »

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:14 »

Man, I'd like to just take a couple of years off to travel around the world and see nice beaches.

Misonception, I've heard that Minnesota is really nice in the winter, at least once you get out into the wild :) the only impressions I have of it are from SG-1, however.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:28 »

I live in Timonium, Maryland.  We're north of Towson and south of Hunt Valley.  Hunt Valley has one of the highest concentrations of game developers in the US outside of California.  It's a nice place, there's two state parks within 10 miles of where I live.

Right now it's about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, a little humid, and the locusts are buzzing loudly.  We had one fly in our house two nights ago.

Below is what part of our backyard looks like.

And this tree in our front yard blooms starts spring with bright pink flowers all over it.

Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:34 »

i grew up in markham, which is just north of toronto and looks like this:

now i live in guelph. the downtown area looks like this:

my university looks like this:

the other 90% is a whole bunch of barns and trees.

it's pretty neat in that it's actually a pretty heavily populated university town but because of the way the streets and buildings and etc are laid out, it retains the appearance of being tiny. it's a pretty nice place to live for school. there's a lot of independent businesses, the excellent public transit system is provided unlimited to students at just $10 a semester, the music scene is alright and everyone is really incredibly nice to each other for some reason. before moving to guelph, i did a lot of drugs cos that was the thing everyone in markham did to escape smothering suburbia. i do not miss markham a whole lot.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 11:42 by ephemere »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:36 »

Misonception, I've heard that Minnesota is really nice in the winter, at least once you get out into the wild :) the only impressions I have of it are from SG-1, however.

That depends on your definition of nice, I guess. If you mean pretty, then yes, it's pretty nice. But it's cold as all get out and impossible to travel in, which makes it not so nice.
Liz is touching me.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2008, 12:49 »

I live a bit north of Cincinnati which looks like this:

I'm currently living in North College Hill, which has parades like this, (I grew up here):

And this is U.C., where I went to school:

This is the building I was in mostly:

Right now, the weather is pretty nice. It's been raining every few days, which is good, because it keeps the heat and humidity at bay. The magnolia tree in our front yard is about to bloom, which makes me happy, and when I'm stuck at home, I go outside and play with this cute stray cat that hangs around with the other cats on my street.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2008, 14:07 »

I live in Monrovia, CA, which is a suburb in Los Angeles county about forty-five minutes from Downtown L.A.  It was founded in 1886, and is famous for being the home of Upton Sinclair from 1942-1966.  Because of its Anytown, USA appearance and proximity to Hollywood, it's frequently used as a filming location.  If you've seen Mask, A Cinderella Story, American Pie, Beethoven, Never Been Kissed, Georgia Rule, Legally Blonde, Not Another Teen Movie, CBS' "Picket Fences," and so on ad nauseum, you've seen Monrovia (IMDB lists 55 titles).

Mostly, it's a bedroom community with a cute "old town" section, where the main street is closed off for a farmer's market / family fair every Friday evening.   It looked like this before the road was paved,

like this in the 1930s,

and like this in modern times.  Except we haven't had snow on the mountains like that in a couple of years--I'd be ashamed to post any pictures of it from the summer months, because the smog is so bad that sometimes you can barely make out the outline of the mountains.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2008, 15:32 »

tania, that picture of markham is one of the scariest things i have ever seen.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2008, 15:33 »

Leeds. The finest city on earth.

TOO BAD YOUR SOCCER TEAM IS TERRIBLE!

I live in North Adams, MA. It's a small town that Tyler once described as "quaint", and also as "what I figured purgatory would be like". It's incredibly boring if you don't do drugs. Which I don't. I hate my town, really. I forget which magazine it was (Yankee, maybe?), but we were once called "The Gateway to Nowhere". The one upside is that we've got the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art. The art's alright, and they have some pretty good concerts.

The real shit part is that's it's about an hour away from anything decent. By decent I mean Northampton or Springfield, but I suppose Albany's about the same distance as well. Boston and New York City are each about three hours away, depending on traffic.

« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 15:36 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jul 2008, 16:32 »

I live in Loveland, Colorado. It's mid-sized with a mall and everything, and it's very WASP-y. Our area was rated the best place to retire for some years by some prominent magazine whose name escapes me.

Here's the only shot of the city I could find, facing East from the mountains.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jul 2008, 18:16 »

Royal Oak, MI

crap, I need to get pictures

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jul 2008, 18:29 »

I am from the small town of Augusta, WI (population: ~1450). The city just turned 150 years old in 2006 (the year I graduated). According to their website, the area is known for their family dairy farms, apple orchards, grains, creamery, and recreational opportunities...

This is what we are really known for:

Dells Mill:

The Woodshed (An Amish Furniture store, which is not made by local Amish, but actually shipped in from, I believe, Iowa):

Bushes Beans: contrary to all of the signs we have in town for their 100th Anniversary, we are NOT the home of them...we did open the factory for them though, about five years or so after they started in Arkansas, and according to this fun fact from the website, we ARE the home of their "Secret Recipe":
"Condon Bush, grandson of founder A.J. Bush, with his co-workers, Tom Rugotzke and Beatrice Piel, recreated his mother Kathleen Bush's "Secret Family Recipe" in the Augusta, Wisconsin, plant.":

(...If the pics are too big, let me know and I'll link to them instead).

sean

• welp
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2008, 20:36 »

So I grew up and currently live in Rockville, Maryland. It looks like this according to wikipedia.

Also according to wikipedia, it is somehow the 2nd biggest city in Maryland. I'm calling shenanigans. Calling it a city is a stretch. A huge stretch.

Anyway, Rockville is surburbia at its finest. It is located about a half hour outside of Washington, DC. It's located in Montogmery County, which somehow is one of the richest counties in America. Shit. Its got tons of boring old baby boomer suburban houses as pitured by Tania, a silly little town center where the cool kids hang about, and some big scary roads which are keeping me from learning how to drive. Seriously, I don't want to drive with these people, they're fucking scary. But its a pretty reasonable place to grow up. Its really expensive though, which blows. And there are so many rich little preppy kids it makes me want to engage in defenestration. (Editors note: In review of this post, I take that last sentiment back. The area with lots of rich kids is a bit further south in Bethesda. There are not actually that many rich kids in Rockville.)

Other than that though, its a nice little "city". It works. Also, F. Scott Fitzgerald is buried here. The grave is at my elementary school's church. Its pretty rad.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2008, 17:54 by Objects inside Clouds »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Meg

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2008, 21:22 »

This is my hometown.

Pictures.

People call it the surf mecca. There's always a lot of surfers around, all the time.

I was a very happy teenage girl.

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2008, 22:09 »

I tend to move around alot, so I don't really have anywhere I call "home".

I grew up in Cambridge,which is about a hour from Toronto. This is where I went to school from grade 9 to grade 12.

I hate it, therefore I spend most of my time in Waterloo,which is about 20 mins from Cambridge.

Where I get my music
We have a decent music festival where they have local bands perform

ephemere: my grandparents live in markham. I am so glad I don't live there. I'm actually thinking of moving to Guelph this coming August. It's neat there.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2008, 23:42 »

I live in Timonium, Maryland.  We're north of Towson and south of Hunt Valley.  Hunt Valley has one of the highest concentrations of game developers in the US outside of California.  It's a nice place, there's two state parks within 10 miles of where I live.

I keep forgetting how close you live to me, and to where I go to school and work.

I live in Reisterstown, MD. It's a small town north of Baltimore, on the last part of 795 before it turns into the Westminster Pike. I live in a baby boom neighborhood built in the early 60s and occasionally find relics of past residents while gardening/landscaping for my parents. So far these have included a rail road spike, a thirty year old cap gun, and an eight ball.

A pretty happenin' Italian Ice and Gelati place.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2287/1501570735_433df5f90b.jpg?v=0

But as nice a place as I live now, it is not my Hometown. I grew up in Lubbock, Texas on the eastern Edge of the Llano Estacado. Now you can knock Texas all you want, but I loved my home town. I liked the fact that it wasn't a big city, that there weren't any bad traffic problems or tall buildings. I liked how flat it was, and I appreciate looking back that rent for a 1 bedroom apartment per month is like $350. According to Wikipedia "The area is the largest contiguous cotton-growing region in the world", I know, its exciting right? Buddy Holly is from Lubbock. In Lubbock is the relatively well known Texas Tech University and the Red Raiders, part of the big twelve. Really good marching band, and the reason that if you're in band in any junior high school or High School in Lubbock it also automatically meant you're in marching band, no exceptions. Lubbock is a really spread out town. There are 250,000 people who live there, and yet most buildings aren't any more than a single story high. We literally have nearly endless space to build, so there's no reason to cram everything together. Streets are wide and grid-like, houses have big yards, and its surrounded by nothing but cotton fields and a few small villages for a hundred miles in three directions, and bordered by Caprock Canyon to the east. Out in Lubbock you feel like you have room to breathe, where you can see miles in any direction and the sky takes up more of your view than the earth. There were no naturally occurring trees originally in Lubbock, they were all brought in and planted at some point or another.

So the Llano Estacado, or Palisaded Plains, is a mesa. Extremely low population density, and according to Wikipedia "This geographic area stretches about 250 mi north to south, and 150 mi east to west, a total area of some 37,500 sq mi, larger than all of New England, and covering all or part of thirty-three Texas counties and four New Mexico counties."

Pictures:
Maxey Park, a few blocks from the house i grew up in: http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/2612090.jpg

My old high school: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Lubbock_High_School.JPG

A bad mural: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3124522

A statue: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1936760

Off Season: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5331663
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:33 »

Leeds. The finest city on earth.

We would kick your ass North Adams, if you even have a team.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2008, 06:05 »

I live in Brighton, on the south coast of England. It is very pretty and has very nice weather. We have two universities, loads of parks, two piers and lots of old winding tiny streets called twittens, these are mostly in the south Lanes, and the North Laine (a 'laine' being a field where there was a big market - this is now rows of streets but there are still hundreds of little shops selling everything. We also have a clock tower and several theatres.

We have a big garish, ugly but somehow charming, pier:

Plus a dilapidated and ruined but strangely beautiful pier:

I love this town, we have the quaint south Lanes:

The North Laine, full of hippies,bric-a-brac shops and street theatre:

One of the best things about Brighton is sunrise, and sunset:

And finally, the Brighton Pavillion:

This palace is surrounded by parks and greenery, and it is right in the centre of the city. We've got a pretty nice city.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2008, 06:23 »

I miss Stockholm! Spent about a week there a few years ago with my family, and even though it was hoooot and I lived in a hotel room without air condition with my entire family, it was great. Loved Gamla Stan and all, but I wish I could've spent more time there without my mom dragging us around wherever she wanted to go.. Hm. Stockholm should go on my "Places to re-visit"-list, in addition to England and Copenhagen.

My home town is Bodř in Northern Norway. It's a fairly small town with a population of about 46 000 (including the rural areas that lie within the municipality known as Bodř, but not really in the city), but I kinda like the size of it. And it has a loot of beautiful surrounding nature, which I love. Parts of the centre are also kinda pretty, while others not so much. I don't live there anymore, though (minus during the summer), and I don't know if I'll wanna move back for good, but it's definitely not because of the city itself, more becaues of people, jobs etc. Most of the city was destroyed during WW2, but it was rebuilt fairly quickly, and thus parts of the city is...well, not exactly pretty, but ah well. It's home.

The centre of the town and the airport(s) (Bodř has a fairly long history with the Royal Norwegian Air Force, has a military air base and the Norwegian Aviation Museum)

Saltstraumen, the world's strongest maelstrom, about 20 minutes away from the centre of the city. Pretty and excellent for fishing:

I love that you can walk for about 1,5-2 hours and get this amazing view (crappy photos, taken by me, but ah well. Click for big-technology!):

The port downtown, which I really like:

I wanted to find a good picture of some rocks at the end of the pier that are great for just lying around, relaxing, eating a baguette and drinking something cold, but I couldn't find a decent one. The pier is to the left of this photo, though.

The main street/shopping area, with the ingenious glass house (there's about 6 wind-free days here a year, if that many, and crappy weather):

I'm trying to decide what my favourite part of the city is, but I'm not sure. At the moment, our house or "cabin"/house by the sea, maybe :p House (click for big-techology again):
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2008, 06:37 by Ladybug »

imapiratearg

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2008, 06:24 »

Arg!  I want to at least visit England one day.  Doesn't Brighton have a huge palace that's furnished in entirely Eastern antiques?

Ăśde

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2008, 09:57 »

Man, Brighton looks pretty excellent despite the horrible beach.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2008, 10:09 »

Hooray for Brighton! I really do like it. It has this kind of amazing 2D quality that really isn't a bad thing at all - like there is nothing bad or mafia-esque going on under the surface, and the only things to do there are fun and exciting things like the Fringe all the time! (or starving artist type things, or I guess crazy hippie things - I assume bad shroom trips happen in Brighton, too.)
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2008, 10:11 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

imapiratearg

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2008, 10:34 »

Sounds like my kind of town!

(Except without the acid trips.)

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:01 »

This is Atlanta's cityscape, as stolen from wikipedia. That is looking South from I-85 just north of the split. And this is Atlanta, minus the smog, from almost straight South looking North.

Atlanta is, according to the July 06 census, about 60% black and 13% queer (that is the third largest ratio for queers in large cities in the country, guys).

There are no good GIS pictures of College Park or East Point, but here is one of the airport, which may as well be my parents' next door neighbor, and takes up 1/3 of the "city" of CP.

This is the 5th runway, which was finished two or so years ago. You have no idea what it's like to drive under that while a plane is landing on it.

It is also the home of Woodward Academy, which Delta Airlines notoriously tried to buy back when I was in middle school. Woodward is the school the Robert W Woodruff foundation, the George Carlos family, and the Coca-Cola company keep making huge donations to because significant members graduated there. (I did too, guys! I went to school with Evander Holyfield, Jr, and Kenan Thompson, sort of! See what potential my life has that I will never live up to!)

A few people from my hometown are these guys, this chick, this dude who still lives there, this guy, and this producer. Strangely enough, I haven't met any of them.

I think this is a good representation of College Park on the internet:

I now live in Kennesaw and go to school at KSU. Yes, it is as soulless and desolate as it looks. Up until like 2006 it was (and still is, despite their efforts) a commuter- and non-traditional student college, and only recently earned its way into the title of third largest school in the state, which by the way they were completely unprepared for and still haven't adjusted to (in terms of being student-friendly and the easy navigation of the administration and necessary things like having a registrar). For instance, as of this summer only 50% of the undergraduates are full-time students, and it has been my personal experience that trying to talk to anyone about anything to do with the registration process (which is run completely online, and pretty much overseen only by IT guys and a couple of students hired for it) is almost blocked by the fact that you have to go through the counseling office to get anything done, and all they ever want to talk about is your major requirements, to the point of interrupting your questions or abruptly changing the subject. Nobody cares about Kennesaw, and the only reason anyone's ever heard of it is from that song about Kennesaw Mountain (which, by the way, is not even that fun to hike up, so don't ask).
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:03 »

Soccer? What the hell is that?

Oh. Football.

Silly, silly Americans.

This is a football, and this is a soccer ball.  Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Oh:

Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Prob'ly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me

But I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an L.A. Doll and brought her to this small town
Now shes small town just like me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and thats good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And thats prob'ly where they'll bury me
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #33 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:06 »

I'll see your John Cougar Mellencamp and raise you a Big Black, courtesy of the good and reliable people of Metrolyrics.com

I was born in this town
live here my whole life
probably come to die in this town
live here my whole life
never anything to do in this town
live here my whole life
probably learn to die in this town
live here my whole life
nothing to do
sit around at home
sit around at home
nothing to do
stare at the walls
stare at each other
wait til we die
stare at each other
wait til we die
probably come to die in this town
live here my whole life
theres Kerosene around
something to do
theres Kerosene around X2
she's something to do
theres Kerosene around
find something to do
theres Kerosene around
shes somethind to do
theres Kerosene
set me on fire...Kerosene X4

KEROSENE
SET ME ON FIRE
(false end)
Kerosene around
shes something
Kerosene around
now what do we do
theres Kerosene
now what do we do
jump Kerosene
now what do we do
Kerosene around
jump Kerosene
never anythng but jump Kerosene
set me on fire Kerosene x4
SETMEONFIRE
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #34 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:07 »

Dude you know that "American Football" is actually American-Rules Football, right? And that "Rugby" is actually Rugby-Rules Football, right? And that they are all actually football, right?

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:35 »

I live in Lower Sackville

It looks like this:

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:36 »

My hometown is Huntsville Texas, where they have lots of prisons, like 7 of them:

That's the most famous one that's in downtown called The Walls Unit, all sorts of folks have stayed there, like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

But right now I live in Denton Texas:

And go to the University of North Texas:

And live in Bruce Hall, which is well known for things like ghosts and the Haunted Houses and interesting people:

That's the lobby where lots of kids bring out video games and waste away their GPAs.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jul 2008, 12:14 »

I was born in Chicago.  Everyone knows about Chi-Town.  So, no pictures.

I now live in... Hell, I mean Albuquerque.  Officially we are a part of the United States, yet just about everyone forgets we are.

http://jpgmag.com/photos/768770
That just happens to be one of the coolest places here in Albuquerque area.  I believe it is now the second longest Tram in the world.  A friend of mine took the picture.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: 29 Jul 2008, 12:16 »

I drove through Albuquerque once on a grand trip across the southwest. We got lost around there, so I got to make the wrong turn at Albuquerque joke  :lol:

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2008, 14:28 »

i'm from istanbul, some of you may know it as constantinople too. because of that i can't keep a job more than six months, i've been working in almost every part of the city, so it feels like the whole city is my neighbourhood lol.

here are some pics;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deryaderya/218484243/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deryaderya/205618594/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orgutcayli/175321776/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deryaderya/191532189/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/selcukaral/2189473426/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leenina/1360205299/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orgutcayli/175321782/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minebeyaz/2128186745/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pensiero/348077747/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/belthelem/1458463687/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatcouldgowrong/2245309248/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deryaderya/192745819/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45105801@N00/2593802734/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoric/1466475814/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/selcukaral/2407382928/

well, enough of the touristic stuff, these are from taksim, ortaköy and nişantaşı, which are the main places where the night life goes on,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peacecorrespondent/1846964724/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmyray/186340892/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/petit1ze/272488058/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khoogheem/54656465/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peacecorrespondent/1842071176/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57672037@N00/365714799/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokendrumphotography/2425294089/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokendrumphotography/2426093166/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76424728@N00/64310290/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarbon/2653009345/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21915247@N07/2216218219/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludingirra/2445730834/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10495235@N03/1106092084/

well, i wasn't able to find nice photos, but this is what it's like around here ^_^
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jul 2008, 14:32 »

Istanbul is one of the top places where I want to visit.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #41 on: 29 Jul 2008, 14:39 »

i grew up in markham, which is just north of toronto and looks like this:

Coincidentally, just this morning I was looking up the lyrics to the song used in the intro to Weeds.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jul 2008, 15:02 »

I live in a town called Knutsford (silent K) which is in Cheshire (the north-west of England).

Wikipedia provides this photo of bottom street:

Bottom street was until recently one of only two streets in the town with shops on it, but there was mild excitement recently when a street was built connecting top street and bottom street. We call it middle street. I don't actually know the names of these streets, and I'm not sure anyone around here does.

About the only thing of interest in the town is Tatton Park which is 1000 acres and includes sights such as these:

Apparently Bananarama played there recently, but I wasn't paying much attention. It also hosts a flower show that has just been and a few other events.

Oh, and apparently we're the only place in the world that writes shit in the street in sand. We do this to celebrate May Day, when we have a rather small and increasingly disappointing parade and a fair comes to town.

Overall it's a pretty great place to raise children, I think. But it's not much fun being a teenager here. I have 1 good friend who lives in the town, and 2 others that I see fairly often, but if I want to see any of my other friends, or really do anything at all, I have to get a train to Altrincham (and there's not much to do there, either) or get a 45 minute train to Manchester.

Wikipedia claims this is the most expensive place to live in the North, and I'm really not suprised. There are some obscenely wealthy people around here.
Apparently Bobby Charlton lived here, and so did Mel C, Gary Barlow, Jason Orange and a bunch of other people I've not heard of but am assured are famous.

rawrawr

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jul 2008, 15:50 »

My hometown is Huntsville Texas, where they have lots of prisons, like 7 of them:

That's the most famous one that's in downtown called The Walls Unit, all sorts of folks have stayed there, like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

And go to the University of North Texas:

And live in Bruce Hall, which is well known for things like ghosts and the Haunted Houses and interesting people:

That's the lobby where lots of kids bring out video games and waste away their GPAs.

But right now I live in Denton Texas:

I too, attend UNT. Crazy, man.
I live in Kerr though.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jul 2008, 17:10 »

my hometown is bakersfield, california
it sucks
don't go there
it's time to stop posting

ThisIsOriginal

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jul 2008, 18:02 »

Hilton,New York (bout 40 minutes outside of Rochester)

never come here unless you want to see endless pizza places and a bunch of kids dressed in AE,Aeropastle,and A&F being oversarcastic.

inflatable_slide

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jul 2008, 18:34 »

im from cork, its a pretty nice city.
http://www.foundmark.com/Ireland/data/Daytrips/CityCentre.JPG

we have a one o' these http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/CorkStFinbarrsCathedral.jpg/450px-CorkStFinbarrsCathedral.jpg
 eeeh we have a butter museum... the blarney stone eeeehhhmm a really good university http://www.ucc.ie
and an art college and of course pubs galore!

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #47 on: 29 Jul 2008, 19:32 »

I am so very pleasantly surprised that there are like four people in this thread that live within a half hour of me!  Somebody with fer better organizational skills than I should organize a meetup around here since I failed so very, very hard last time.

I'm from Columbia, MD, a relatively quiet suburb pretty much equidistant from Baltimore, DC, and Annapolis.

It looks like this from up in the air.

Some fun places I go around town are Lake Elkhorn, Lake Kittamaqundi, which houses the People Tree, the vision of a unified community made into a statue, and is next to the Columbia Mall, which has plenty of stores that aren't Forever 21.

Columbia is a planned community, built in the vision of James Rouse in 1967, designed to be a community in which segregation based on race, religion, and income would not exist.  To this day, this is very much true; it is an incredibly diverse community, with an extremely low crime rate, located in the county with the highest household per capita income in the nation.

The city is broken up into ten self-sufficient villages, which are all broken into neighborhoods.  Each neighborhood's name is derived from a work by a famous author, and all of the street names in that neighborhood are titles of works by the same author.  For example, a friend of mine lives in Dickinson, where all of the street names come from Emily Dickinson works (Sweet Hours Way, Weatherworn Path, etc.).  I live in Huntington, but I have no idea what author/work this is from.  The street is Spring Water Path; anybody have any idea?

In 2006, Columbia, paired with nearby Elicott City, was named #4 on Money magazine's list of the 100 best places to live in America.  In 2008, they were ranked #8 on the list.  The library system for Howard County is consistently one of the top in the nation.

In the fall, I'm attending nearby Howard Community College, also in Columbia.  This is the newly-built Rouse Company Foundation building, very close to the middle of campus.  As far as 2-year universities go, it's actually very nice.

Famous Columbians include Sir Frank Whittle, inventor of the jet engine, and Edward Norton, who is The Fucking Man.

More info here.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 29 Jul 2008, 19:38 »

I just GIS-ed my home town, and was kinda surprised at the lack of post-card-esque pictures. Where I'm from is a town next to a beach/tidal lagoon where a lot of Sydney-siders go for holidays.

It basically has a lot of bush and water and sand-

It has a pretty decent shore break, and an average reef break. So you see a fair bit of this-

And this one kind of shows the island were we used to go camping and drink stolen homebrew-

Nice enough place to visit, if you're ever in Sydney and feel like a weekend away.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #49 on: 29 Jul 2008, 20:24 »

Man, you guys almost all live in such nice places. I live in Janesville, a town of about 60,000 in south-central Wisconsin. Discerning characteristics: None.

This is our main street.

God, I just fucking bored myself senseless just looking at those pictures. Luckily, we're 30 minutes from Madison, an hour from Milwaukee, and 1 1/2 hours away from Chicago, so there's plenty of places to go that actually have things to do.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up