THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Your home towns  (Read 37092 times)

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
Re: Your home towns
« Reply #50 on: 29 Jul 2008, 20:30 »

I really wish I had a camera, I too will GIS it.

The Chicago river, all over the place:

Where the White Sox play, two blocks from my house:

Linking this one for size:
http://www.ece.rochester.edu/~basak/Pics/chicago2592x1530.jpg
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #51 on: 30 Jul 2008, 08:46 »

^^ Evil Southsider!  I can't believe you guys swept my Cubbies at that stadium.  I'm actually from Payless Park area, which is on the southside...
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #52 on: 30 Jul 2008, 09:51 »

I live in Elbert, Colorado. The town's claim to fame is a flood that destroyed the town in 1935. When I moved here, everyone I met told me about it. The population is around 350. My graduating class had 20 students.

Besides the school, we have a saloon that has customers even at 8 in the morning, a minimart that closes at 8 at night, two very small antique stores, and a US post office.

This is one of the first buildings that's not a house that you see. I think it's now used as a garage.

To be honest, I'm not sure what this building was for.

This is the view from my mailbox.
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2008, 08:21 by Eli »

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #53 on: 30 Jul 2008, 12:08 »

^^ Evil Southsider!  I can't believe you guys swept my Cubbies at that stadium.  I'm actually from Payless Park area, which is on the southside...

muahhahahaha!!! A north-sider! When the Cubs finally find the balls to come to our town you have to expect a horrific loss!  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Where's Payless Park, by the way?

@Eli
That's pretty much the best mailbox view one could hope for
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2008, 12:14 by Vendetagainst »
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #54 on: 30 Jul 2008, 12:20 »

I'm from Madison, WI. I really like it here. It's a good size- the city itself is about 250,000 and the greater area is probably about 500,000. It's close to plenty of cool places like Chicago, Milwaukee, and the twin cities. We've got the UW campus here so there's always stuff going on, and downtown Madison is amazing. The city is situated on the Isthmus between two big lakes, with the capitol right in the middle of it.

Here's a shot of the isthmus from the air:

Here's the skyline of the isthmus from Lake Monona:

We have the tallest state capitol in the nation, it's only like a foot shorter than the national one:

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: 30 Jul 2008, 12:24 »

Only a foot? Come on! You could like stick a yard stick up there to make up the difference!

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #56 on: 30 Jul 2008, 12:51 »

Exactly. We don't want to seem like we're better than the guys in DC. Also, Madison has an interesting law that stipulates that none of the buildings within one mile of the Capitol can be taller than the top of the columns supporting the capitol dome. It makes the Capitol building itself really stand out, which i think is cooler than if the capitol building was dwarfed by a bunch of ugly skyscrapers.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2008, 12:57 »

I think you're right about the capitol building, I'm not sure about that law though. My old school (it was a really old Catholic school with a chapel) was literally right across the street from the John Hancock Tower (big building), and by 1885 the Chicago Board of Trade was the tallest building in the city (surpassing First Holy Name Cathedral).
That's an interesting law though.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.  :x

Oh, so I guess I was... kinda wrong? Sorta.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: 30 Jul 2008, 13:04 »

Don't be fools! Take up! Seize hold of your heightocity!

Dissy

« Reply #59 on: 30 Jul 2008, 14:38 »

Where's Payless Park, by the way?

If I remember correctly ( I haven't been ther in like 18 years) its between Joilet and Chicago Heights, aka SouthSide.
I fuck at typos

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jul 2008, 14:47 »

No, I got from your post that you were from the South Side, I was just being an asshole. Cool though, nice to see a fellow Chicagoan!

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jul 2008, 20:23 »

Some areas just have those laws for the sake of landscapes, really.  Some rolllercoaster in Ohio had to be modified a few years back for being too high above the treeline or something.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

deannamarie

« Reply #62 on: 30 Jul 2008, 20:51 »

some of the pictures in this thread are wonderful. I had a really hard time finding something to make me proud of my home town but... here it is, perth amboy,nj.

it was founded in 1683, ben Franklin's son lived here, & at one point it was the capital of new jersey. Also, the first black voter in the united states was from here. Thats all i can recall from the top of my head that would be of any interest and it doesn't really rival some of the towns here but i thought i'd share. :]

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #63 on: 30 Jul 2008, 20:56 »

No, I got from your post that you were from the South Side, I was just being an asshole. Cool though, nice to see a fellow Chicagoan!

Isn't Joe Hocking from Chicago?  Or did he move?  I forget.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #64 on: 30 Jul 2008, 20:57 »

I dunno. I mean the first person I became aware of, ya know? :-)

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #65 on: 30 Jul 2008, 21:47 »

eli,

it looks like you live a ghost town or something. mmm abandoned buildings.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #66 on: 30 Jul 2008, 22:06 »

It's dark in Clarksville, which is the closest I have to a hometown. I found some pictures of Clarksville,

Our Museum

the County Courthouse

The playhouse, all of these are downtown which is the nicer part, I don't have any pictures of north Clarksville because it's ugly and smells.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2008, 23:11 by NarwhalSunshine »

Nim

« Reply #67 on: 30 Jul 2008, 22:25 »

I grew up in a small country town in South Australia before recently moving to Adelaide. I took some photos while I was down there, though. Thus:

My house:

Nextdoor:

Fire station across the road:

Up the street:

Down the street:

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #68 on: 30 Jul 2008, 22:25 »

Isn't Joe Hocking from Chicago?

Yes. I just figured there's no need for me to post pictures of Chicago (much like there was no need for me to post pictures of New York when we've done this thread in the past.)

^^ Evil Southsider!  I can't believe you guys swept my Cubbies at that stadium.

Whatever. I live down the street from Wrigley Field, and I wouldn't mind in the slightest if you locked the Cubs into a cage with a pack of wild dogs.

Actually, not the Cubs themselves, but their fans. And by "wouldn't mind in the slightest" I really mean "would cheer enthusiastically."

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #69 on: 30 Jul 2008, 22:40 »

I have lived in a lot of places in my 21 years of being alive! Here are most of them, in chronological order:

First I lived in Yass, in Southern NSW:

Then after living in Shropshire (that's in England, not Ausralia), I lived in Wee Japser:

Then Back to Yass:

Then moved all the way up to the Hunter Valley!:

Now I am living in Canberra, the Nation's capital and about 45 minutes from Yass:
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #70 on: 31 Jul 2008, 09:42 »

I don't know if this was true of America too but in the UK, until some time in the last century you weren't allowed to build anything higher than the nearest church or cathedral.

Obvioulsy this isn't true for all of America but DC does have a building restriction. You either can't build higher than the Washington Monument or the Capital Building. I can't remember which it is, but it doesn't quite matter since they are about the same size.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #71 on: 31 Jul 2008, 10:58 »

We have the tallest state capitol in the nation, it's only like a foot shorter than the national one:

Similar to ours in Washington, except ours is totally more awesome.

Another shot of my town:

Our old capitol:

imapiratearg

« Reply #72 on: 31 Jul 2008, 11:40 »

*Ahem.*

Montpelier's is totally the most awesome capital building.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #73 on: 31 Jul 2008, 12:01 »

My home "town" is a village called Kilcreggan on the west coast of scotland. I go to uni and live in the City of Glasgow though so that's what this post is about.

I spend a lot of my time in the west end because that's where my uni is.
This is the main campus area of my Uni.

Although it does stretch beyond that picture.

This is my favourite bit of the uni and the waiting area prior to my exams.

That tree is fucking massive.

This is ashton lane which has a few nice pubs and restaurants. It's expensive though.

This is kelvingrove museum in kelvingrove park.

Unfortunately at night it looks like it is owned by Disney.

Moving towards the centre of town.

This is the mitchell library. It's a most excellent place.

This is George Square, it looks nice but is mostly covered in pigeon shit.

And this is Glasgow Cathedral. I'm not catholic, but it is gorgeous.

Basically Glasgow is the best city.

monkeybiz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #74 on: 31 Jul 2008, 12:04 »

Well, hometown is an entirely different question from "place of current residence."

I was born and raised in Indianapolis, home of the Colts, Pacers, and the World's Largest Redneck Festival (aka the Indy 500). After college, I left for Kansas City, Missouri, whose sole redemeeing quality was the just amazing BBQ. After that, I ended up in Chicago, which is like New York, except cleaner, safer, and with more corruption. The local sports fans are about even. At the moment, I've got a nice little apartment in a high rise about two blocks from the Lake (Michigan, that is), and I'm close enough to Wrigley Field to make it a decent, but not inconvenient, walk.

Seems like there are an awful lot of Chicago people here. Would anyone be up for meeting for drinks or something?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #75 on: 31 Jul 2008, 12:35 »

I've lived in the tiny town of Socorro for roughly 5 years now. At this point, I guess it is my hometown, which is kind of sad. The town is over 400 years old, as it was built around one of the first pueblos Spanish conquistadors found on the Jornada del Muerto (Journey of the Dead Man). It is named Socorro (Spanish for "Aid", though the college students here prefer to think of it as "Help!") because of the aid that was given to the Spanish explorers by the Pueblo people.

We have M Mountain, the symbol of my school, an ancient, sleeping (but not dead) volcano painted with an M for the world to see.

The Capitol Bar, the only bar in town, built out of a 150 year old hotel.

The annual Festival of the Cranes, where a crapload of whooping cranes come to rest in the nearby Rio Grande and a crapload of old people come to see some birds.

A statue of Elfego Baca, the legendary self-appointed sheriff of Socorro county who kicked ass, then had his house surrounded by 80 bandits who shot 4000 bullets into his house one night, only to have him walk out in the morning and hunt them down and kick their ass some more. Dude would kill fucking Batman.

And my school's campus, the greenest goddamn place in the entire state because the school wastes an absurd amount of water. It owns the nearby golf course, which is home to the Elfego Baca Golf Shoot, which starts at the top of M Mountain and ends at the bottom, in the golf course, one of the hardest golf tournaments in the world. My school also owns a whole damn town for the sole purpose of blowing it up and training law enforcement and firefighters how to react to having a town blown up.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dissy

« Reply #76 on: 31 Jul 2008, 12:41 »

Ozy, I've been there.  Soccorro is not that big.  I went down every street in 5 minutes.

Also, the greenest place in the stat is the east side of Sandia peak.
I fuck at typos

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 31 Jul 2008, 12:42 »

Man, I said it was a tiny town. You can drive past it on the highway in 2 minutes.

It's still awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

imapiratearg

« Reply #78 on: 31 Jul 2008, 13:38 »

This is my favourite bit of the uni and the waiting area prior to my exams.
*Courtyard with big fuckin' tree in it.*
That tree is fucking massive.

It's Hogwarts!

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #79 on: 31 Jul 2008, 13:50 »

It actually is where they did filming for the first few films. I think the new ones are CGI or something. I don't know. You probably knew that, but just incase you were just saying that not literally.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jul 2008, 18:15 »

This is fun! I've lived in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia for all my 19 years of aliveness.

We have lots of beaches and a harbour that looks like this:

The CBD looks like this, the City Council are in the middle of trying to get the CMD revamped and to encourage businesses and people to come and do things in the city, it isn't working overly well:

Aside from the beaches and soaking up the sun in summer, Newcastle is a nice quiet place to live. We have two big shopping centres and a whole handful of smaller ones.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #81 on: 31 Jul 2008, 22:30 »

I grew up in a small country town in South Australia before recently moving to Adelaide. I took some photos while I was down there, though. Thus:

Hell, South Australia from your pictures reminds me a helluva lot of parts of South Texas.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #82 on: 01 Aug 2008, 12:52 »

you do know that texas' capitol is 15 feet higher than the national capitol, right?

yes, well Illinois' state capitol is the tallest non-skyscraper capitol, whatever that means. :-P

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 01 Aug 2008, 13:45 »

My town has had a GM plant in it for 105 years, and they announced a few months back that they'll be closing it down. Janesville's finally developed enough that it will survive without the plant and won't become like so many abandoned rust-belt towns, but it's still going to hit this place hard. There's going to be a not insubstantial exodus of people.

Further, the town's only strip club was closed, and the proprietor arrested on charges of running a prostitution ring.

And then this summer there was the biggest flood in the history of the city and all of Wisconsin. Half the city was inaccessible due to flooding. It wasn't as bad as some of the things you saw in Iowa--entire towns submerged up to the roofs of houses--but it was pretty damned extreme nonetheless. I was working for the city's Water Treatment division at the time, and so much of our days were spent helping individuals with flooded basements, opening manholes to suck out flooded sewers and pump stations that had been flooded with water and broken down, so the plumbing system for a part of the town broke down. That was fun. Then, of course, when the water finally receded, there was dead fish, mold, and mud everywhere. It was lovely.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #84 on: 01 Aug 2008, 14:21 »

I know I've already posted my town and such, but I thought I'd just give y'all some better pictures instead of the generic ones off the internet that are supposed to make it look cool. And to keep down bandwidth and the amount of scrollage I'm going to link all the pictures.

Which if you don't remember this is going to be Denton TX.

This is what most of the streets pretty much look like in Denton

This is a club called Dan's Silverleaf

This is the court house, they turn those lights on every night, Christmas or not.

This is the square, there are things there like a coffee house, an ice cream shop, and several several bars.

One thing about Denton is that it has a ton of hookah bars, and they all pretty much look like this.

This is what my campus looks like covered in snow (It's Texas alright, it doesn't happen often.)

I'd like to get up a picture of Fry Street, which is this place close to campus where there is like a hookah bar, a head shop, several bars, and a couple little places to eat. It used to have a pretty awesome pizza place as well as a fairly awesome coffee shop, but the pizza place burnt down and the coffee shop closed. So now it's hardly as cool. Also a guy comes out every night in his van and sells healing tobaccos or and pipes or something like that. He usually has a bubble machine. Also there's this bum that walks around and asks if you want to hear a joke for some change. He usually has pretty good ones, but he's not always up on fresh material.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #85 on: 02 Aug 2008, 05:22 »

I was not born here, but I live in Tirana, Albania. It's the only city Albanians would care about if there were a big fire, which is why they build everything out of cement. This photo, while not my own, was taken very near my house (photo credit goes to Uljan Çobo). Note the nasty-ass river!

Kids like to climb up this building (it was supposed to be a mausoleum for the dictator) and slide down:

And the best thing? Every Albanian is given their own bear at birth as a lifelong companion, and it is not an uncommon thing at all to see some guy just walking around with a fucking bear on a lead.

My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Dissy

« Reply #86 on: 02 Aug 2008, 09:33 »

Patrick, that's not a river, its a fucking Ditch.

On a scarier note, both my parents had a hand in developing that task force.

Also, the two images on the sides were the only Pogs I ever owned.  I had about a million coppies of those.
I fuck at typos

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #87 on: 02 Aug 2008, 10:09 »

The one on the left always makes me feel weird. Like I'm looking at something vaguely racist and it's not giving me a lot of outs.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #88 on: 02 Aug 2008, 10:52 »

And the best thing? Every Albanian is given their own bear at birth as a lifelong companion, and it is not an uncommon thing at all to see some guy just walking around with a fucking bear on a lead.

Seriously?!?! Holy shit, why wasn't I born in Albania? I'm definitely doing this for my child.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #89 on: 02 Aug 2008, 13:56 »

I walked to the Sears Tower today (roughly 3.6 mile walk one way) and I brought my sis's camera along! Pictures to come soon.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #90 on: 02 Aug 2008, 14:14 »

Quote from: Patrick
(it was supposed to be a mausoleum for the dictator)

Ah yes, Hoxha. Coolest name of any dictator. It sends a "don't fuck with me, I am potentially an alien, because no human being has Hoxha for a name" vibe.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #91 on: 02 Aug 2008, 14:51 »

Pictures Cometh!!

Entire Album here: Photobucket!
(Guest Password: Pavlov)

Highlights here:

Basically it's really, really big

« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2008, 15:24 by Vendetagainst »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #92 on: 04 Aug 2008, 01:53 »

Seriously?!?!

I don't even know what to say to you right now.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #93 on: 04 Aug 2008, 03:56 »

Alright guys, I live in the north island of New Zealand. This is my hometown. Paraparaumu, also called Param/Paraparam or just Pram. It's an hour out of Wellington and another 3 hours to anywhere else interesting, I've lived here all my life. Same house, same school, same college (high school) for 20 years. I'm pretty much ready to get the fuck out.

It's an alright town, it has a nice beach, on occassion.

Kapiti Island is always nice to look at and always gets amazing sunsets in the summer, which are really cool to park up and watch stoned.

There's also a statue of The Virgin Mary on a hill in front of my house. The 10th largest in the world, apparently

Lady be 12.5 meters

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #94 on: 04 Aug 2008, 09:21 »

There's a giant statue of Mary pretty close to my house as well. She's kinda scary looking, really, it's not the greatest statue.

The area I live in is packed with large sculptures of random things. There's a blog out there by two people that took a road trip around Minnesota to check a bunch of them out. I would guess I've visited about 90% at least once in my life.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #95 on: 04 Aug 2008, 09:46 »

Perth, Western Australia

This is the typical postcard view, the city as viewed from King's Park:

The caption for this photo is "Perth, the city that sleeps." That probably tells you a lot of what you need to know about Perth.

Here is a blog that is dedicated to complaining about my hometown.

http://theworstofperth.com/

This is public art in Perth

« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2008, 10:00 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #96 on: 04 Aug 2008, 17:18 »

I live in Calvert County, Maryland, which is about 30 - 45 minutes south of Annapolis, and has almost nothing here.  I had to fight to find any pictures off of GIS of around here, because according to most sites, WE DO NOT EXIST.  They skip us completely on the news.  If anything happens here, it's reported as in one of the 2 counties that surrounds us.  Anne Arundel or St. Marys.

This is my house when it snows. 

I took this picture from the dock at work, at the Calvert Marine Museum. 

Other than that, there's really nothing here.  We have (http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/features/gif/rocky.jpg) cliffs that are illegal to climb on, and we have the (http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rscully6/fieldtrip1/DSCN0667.JPG) Patuxent River. 

If you need to do anything here, you drive the 30-45 minutes to Annapolis or the 45-60 minutes to DC.   

I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #97 on: 04 Aug 2008, 20:38 »

That is the coolest building ever. I think that if you stocked up well enough, you would be totally fine in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Thlayli

« Reply #98 on: 04 Aug 2008, 21:29 »

I live in Calvert County, Maryland, which is about 30 - 45 minutes south of Annapolis, and has almost nothing here.  I had to fight to find any pictures off of GIS of around here, because according to most sites, WE DO NOT EXIST.  They skip us completely on the news.  If anything happens here, it's reported as in one of the 2 counties that surrounds us.  Anne Arundel or St. Marys.

There was a recent news item about undetonated explosives found on a gravel beach in Calvert County.

And to keep this post on-topic, I'm a Virginian. I wasn't born anywhere near the East Coast, but my folks moved out here when I was so young, the DC area is all I know. I won't bother posting pictures, because I've lived all over the state by this point, and the scenery's pretty much the same as MD. It seems like the last five or ten years, all the beautiful forests are being destroyed to build houses and apartment complexes no one can afford to live in.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #99 on: 04 Aug 2008, 21:37 »

Well you wouldn't have noticed them if they were already detonated, now, would you?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up