THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soul Caliber 4  (Read 29069 times)

Dagdason

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Soul Caliber 4
« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2008, 11:49 »

I play, mostly, as Taki, Yoda, and Maxi.

With Taki, I can keep you flat on your back most of the match, and I get a shit-ton of her air combos off before you even hit the ground. Furthermore, her diving attack and her bomb attack will seriously screw anyone over. Best way to counter me is with someone who has long reach, although it only lasts a short while.

If I'm using Yoda, again, better have someone with long reach, because the instant I get in close, it's an acrobatic display, and I tend to keep jumping out of the way of counters using the Force. Furthermore, don't swing high. I've found out how to counter/parry while in mid-air and attacking simultaneously. It generally leads into me grabbing you because your character can't recover fast enough.

As for Maxi...just don't let me get close or I'll be juggling you the entire match and you won't even be able to get a hit in edge-wise.

legion329

« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2008, 17:09 »

Does anyone else find posts like the one directly above mine tiresome?

"Kekeke, with this character I can destroy you don't even bother trying blah blah blah also tits."

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #52 on: 12 Aug 2008, 17:20 »

Kind of like World of Roguecraft?

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #53 on: 12 Aug 2008, 19:56 »

Well I mean the specific post, yeah. I haven't seen many others like it, though.
Hate, rain on me

B.C.

« Reply #54 on: 12 Aug 2008, 20:02 »

Does anyone else find posts like the one directly above mine tiresome?

"Kekeke, with this character I can destroy you don't even bother trying blah blah blah also tits."

It's especially annoying because he has apparently assumed we aren't going to block, guard impact, or for that matter even attack him.
Every single character in this game has an exploitable weakness.

If you slow Taki's momentum at all she basically becomes a punching bag.
Yoda has absolutely no variety in his moves. No seriously he has half the moves other characters have.
Many of Maxi's stringing moves are high/mid so a single guard impact will let you get a few good hits in. That or just freaking block because his cool down time is ridiculous for a lot of button mashing moves.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #55 on: 12 Aug 2008, 21:05 »

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I don't have Soul Calibur IV yet, but honestly I've always thought Maxi's traditionally been one of the weaker characters, although he was finally kinda decent in Soul Calibur III. I "main" Ivy and Mitsurugi and I've never really had an issue with Maxi on most characters, much less those two. Mitsurugi can flat overpower him and Ivy's got the range to beat him down from afar and the close range punishment game via throws to hold her own up close.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #56 on: 12 Aug 2008, 21:26 »

Well I mean the specific post, yeah. I haven't seen many others like it, though.

Play any MMORPG and you will find 11 million people willing to tell you why you should not fight them because they are gods at playing it.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #57 on: 12 Aug 2008, 21:30 »

I tend to stay away from horrible things.
Hate, rain on me

B.C.

« Reply #58 on: 12 Aug 2008, 23:08 »

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I don't have Soul Calibur IV yet, but honestly I've always thought Maxi's traditionally been one of the weaker characters, although he was finally kinda decent in Soul Calibur III. I "main" Ivy and Mitsurugi and I've never really had an issue with Maxi on most characters, much less those two. Mitsurugi can flat overpower him and Ivy's got the range to beat him down from afar and the close range punishment game via throws to hold her own up close.

Maxi is generally considered to be a "button masher for noobs" character, but a good Maxi player who knows how to string and juggle properly can absolutely ruin people.
For the note, Ivy has been almost completely reworked from SCIII, expect to learn her all over again from the ground up.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #59 on: 13 Aug 2008, 05:40 »

Maxi is, in my experience, the most idiot-proof character in the game. Even more so than Kilik. Most everything strings with Maxi.

My favorite character in IV is slowly becoming Tira, however.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #60 on: 13 Aug 2008, 09:12 »

I've always been a Voldo player.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #61 on: 14 Aug 2008, 00:17 »

I've always loved Soul Calibur but goddamn the fanservice is getting ridiculous.

Fletch

« Reply #62 on: 15 Aug 2008, 00:16 »

I always liked Voldo's seeming randomness, but the wide hips & high heels are a bit much.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #63 on: 15 Aug 2008, 00:25 »

Maxi seems to have been improved in this one.  He's easy to use, but also powerful if you learn what you're doing.

I don't like this generation's trend of "maining" characters.  It's so boring.  In the heyday of Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2, you could tell the really good players because they would always pick "random" at character select.  It seems like it would be so boring to play as the same character for more than a few matches in a row; right now I spread my time equally among custom characters modeled after Amy (Xiola, a ridiculously typical Anime Magical Girl, complete with witch's hat, zorro mask, cape and magic wand), Seong Mi-Na (Lucretia, a goth looking girl with glasses), Cassandra (Greta, a cross between a Russian military girl and an airline stewardess) and Mitsurugi (I forget what I named her, I just made her to fight against people who spam Mitsu and think they're "good" at using him).

But every five matches or so I always pick people at random, just so I can get the full experience of the game.

So yeah, I don't understand the mentality of "maining" characters.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 15 Aug 2008, 06:24 »

I for one just said that Tira is becoming my favorite, and not my main.

However, I think it would be pretty naive to not admit that playing with one character you're good at and fits how you like to play isn't effective. For instance, I have friends who can beat me with pretty much any character they'd like to in Soul Calibur, but as soon as they're playing someone as well-versed in the game as they are, they better fall back on their best character if they really do want to win.

It's a competitive mentality, and also a mentality that arises after playing a lot of the game in question, a lot of fighting games will be fairly unaffected by character choices if the two players aren't that great at the game, but the better you get at a fighting game the more fine-tuned your character choices will generally be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #65 on: 15 Aug 2008, 07:22 »

That, and frankly, there was only so good you could get at MK 1&2 before the only thing that really seperated you from other players was general knowledge and mind games. The characters simply weren't that unique. To an extent, the same could be said of early Street Fighters-- there were more nuances between individual characters, to be sure, but there was a smaller pallette of commands to become familiar with. There's enough moves and varied characters on the Soul Calibur rosters where frankly, there's only so much time I want to invest in characters I'm not particularly fond of playing. I still hit random fairly often to keep things fresh, and I readily concede that general knowledge and skill with mindgames are the most important ingredients to winning at a fighting game, but at the end of the day I'm still at my best with Ivy.

That said, I mostly play with Mitsurugi because he is a bad ass and apparently spends all his free time ruining people's shit.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2008, 07:24 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: 22 Aug 2008, 17:19 »

this game is so effing hard.
and my characters look like knock offs or retards due to the skill system.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #67 on: 22 Aug 2008, 19:20 »

I've always loved Soul Calibur but goddamn the fanservice is getting ridiculous.
Hasn't it already been ridiculous? I think now the ridiculous fanservice just has even better graphics.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #68 on: 22 Aug 2008, 19:29 »

I used the character creation to make The Riddler, Duncan MacCleod and Hulk. I don't even really like this game all that much, I bought it to be a casual versus game to play with friends, nor do I really give a damn about the game modes that require you to make your character look like a circus freak reject just so you can get your precious equipment bonus.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up