THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 04:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651142 times)

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #750 on: 13 Jan 2009, 10:43 »

Provide an example then. When someone says they can do something and you say they cannot, prove them wrong with a solid example.

Tankspot is rarely updated, most of it is from 3.0.2 and lv 70 bullshit, so much has changed in 10 levels, you mention MS as not being a good tanking talent and yeah, it really isn't because to get MS you cannot get to the gold at the bottom of the prot tree.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #751 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:24 »

Well, there's always Kungen's Armory profile to look at, and he's the MT for Ensidia, AKA, those crazies that cleared 25 man Naxx & Malygos on Nov. 15th. Sco of Method and Tango of Irae AoD both use nearly the same spec and their guilds are pretty uber as well. Basically, all I'm saying is that in WoW, you spec/gear for the fight. Sometimes your survivability is fine and the raid has more trouble beating enrage timers than keeping you on your feet. That's when you take Impale; it adds a ton of damage, and more importantly, a ton of threat. Giving up points in shield specialization is an iffy choice if your guild has a tough time keeping you standing, but when it comes to raw threat generation, Imp. Heroic Strike+Impale generally beats out Puncture, so they're not bad choices at all even if you decide to leave Shield Spec alone. Also keep in mind that as a warrior the threat bonuses to most abilities (I believe Thunder Clap is the exception, which would help explain why people ditch Puncture & Shield Spec before Imp. TC) is actually just a flat bonus that does not scale with gear (paladins and righteous fury are a whole other ball of wax that I won't get into). As your buddies gear up, you'll need to start dealing more damage to stay ahead of the curve because there is no way to increase the threat bonus to your abiliities, just your damage.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2009, 14:45 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #752 on: 13 Jan 2009, 16:10 »

Easter Egg! I know this is already widely reported, but I've yet to find any pictures.

I'm pretty sure Linds is the only other WoW player on here who'll get a kick out of this:

I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ackblom12

« Reply #753 on: 13 Jan 2009, 16:43 »

Oh my god that's hilarious.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #754 on: 13 Jan 2009, 17:00 »

From those links I went into the respective guilds then checked out the Talent trees of some of their Fury-specced Warriors for tips.  I then realised how stupid this was, because they are level 80 raiding guild Fury Warriors and I am a level 64 Solo PvE dood.

Also, I have tried stance-dancing between Battle & Berserker in the past without too much joy, but I thought maybe I was doing it wrong or maybe I had to be specially kitted out to do it or something.  I tried it again recently using Recount to monitor the difference in my DPS output and my DPS actually went down when dancing into Berserker and back during/after fights.  I think maybe the problem is that my fights are too short?  My fights look like: Charge, Vic Rush, BT, Exe.  They last maybe a few seconds each unless I get two at once, then it looks more like: Charge, Vic Rush, Thunderstrike, Bloodthirst, Execute, Vic Rush, Bloodthirst, Execute and last a couple of extra seconds.

At the moment for what I do I really can't see the benefit.  Am I missing something here or what?
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2009, 17:03 by est »

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #755 on: 13 Jan 2009, 20:47 »

PizzaSHARK, but what is most important for a tank, threath or DPS?

The two are not mutually exclusive, and in fact, a large part of threat generation relies on DPS output now.

You should do dps, but that is not the main priority for a tank. When looking at a tank you should look at how good they survive and then how much threath they put out. There are several low damage high threath abilitys out there. But all other tank classes (except death knights perhaps) have to sacrifice damage output to add survivability and therefor they have to do more threath compared to damage output. That's the whole idea of a tank.

No, they don't.  In most cases, you very rarely need to decide between survivability or threat, because the talent trees are very streamlined now for Pallies, Warriors, and DKs.  I don't follow Druids much because I honestly think bears are the worst tanks right now.

So, simply put, what I'm trying to say is that any thank should focus more on makeing sure he is doing high amount of threath and not care about the dps until he is sure that none of the dps will reach him in threath. And these two things are both after he made sure his survivability is good enough.

And I'm gonna tell you for what's probably the fourth or fifth time, DPS and TPS are not mutually exclusive, and TPS in fact relies quite a bit on your DPS.

Your EHP and TPS are effectively equal in terms of importance - holding aggro doesn't matter if you die, and staying on your feet doesn't matter if the boss hits his enrage timer and begins wafflestomping the raid because your threat ceiling is too low.  If your healers are not having any trouble keeping you alive (ask them), then you should adjust your spec and/or gear for increased DPS/TPS so that your DPS can pull out the stops and get the boss down faster.  This is the only possible way to earn many of those time-based achievements.

kgbisouttogetme

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is only bad if you kill baby seals.
« Reply #756 on: 13 Jan 2009, 21:38 »

sinister squashling on your bar? excellent.
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #757 on: 13 Jan 2009, 23:23 »

Than I shall be satisfied to say that I don't agree with you, PizzaSHARK. I have made what it clear what I think the prioritiees are. And no, DPS and threath are not the same thing in all situations. Threath scale with DPS but will go beyond dps with some abilitys. But if blizzard have changed so that it is that dps and threath is the only thing that scale, then the PvE part of the game have become quite a lot more boring.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #758 on: 14 Jan 2009, 00:38 »

Blizzard completely changed the way tanking's done with LK.  Strength on tanking gear prior to the 3.x changes would have been regarded as wasted itemization points, because almost all of a tank's threat was generated via threat modifiers (Pallies were and still are a bit of an anomaly in that regard.)  Now, most of those modifiers have been removed or altered so that many abilities no longer have a static threat bonus (a good thing) and so that threat generated is often directly related to damage done.  An excellent example of this is Revenge.  As it first started out, Revenge did very little damage, but produced an immense amount of static threat.  During TBC, it was changed so that it did (a lot) more damage, but it was still a static threat generator.  With LK, it's been changed to do a significant amount of damage (modified by your Attack Power) and the threat it generates is modified by the damage it deals.  You do more damage, you generate more threat.  And almost every single tanking ability in the game behaves this way; Shield Slam, Concussion Blow, Shockwave, Devastate, and even Thunder Clap will generate more threat if you're doing more damage with them.  Why do you think they put Strength on tanking gear and adjusted the Paladin skills so that Pally tanks would benefit from some AP (all judgements and most seals have both spellpower and attack power coefficients.)

I'm not saying you should start out with Spiked Titansteel instead of Tempered Titansteel, or that you should spec for Titan's Grip instead of Shockwave.  I'm saying that deliberately ignoring extremely fucking good talents (like Armored to the Teeth and Impale) because you think they're only for the DPS spec is completely wrong.  After a certain point, that extra 5% block is gonna be shit compared to the threat increase you'd get from Impale, for example.  When you reach that point depends on your gear, your healers, and the content you're tackling.

But, again: If your healers say that you're surviving just fine, you are screwing over your raid by wasting talent points on more survivability instead of more threat.  If you're doing fine in NX10 and find that you still need those survivability talents when you hit NX25 and need to drop some threat talents - do it.  But the inverse is true; if you're at a point when you really don't need more survivability, you should spec so that you raise your threat ceiling, which will allow your DPS to push harder.  Doing anything less is being an irresponsible tank.

EDIT: And I don't see how it can be more boring.  Tanks (and healers, too!) have more options now than they ever have had before.  Did you ever try tanking in vanilla WoW, when it was actually better to tank as an Arms spec 15 deep into Protection (for Defiance)?  Deep Protection was worthless!  What about TBC tanking?  Tanks couldn't put out jack for DPS and were largely just a gimmick spec for PvP.  If you wanted to farm or PvP effectively, it often necessitated acquiring a completely different set of gear and respeccing.  It's not like that anymore, and it's a good, progressive thing for the game as a whole.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2009, 00:47 by PizzaSHARK »

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #759 on: 14 Jan 2009, 00:58 »

Not more boring as player (perhaps) but more boreing as game dynamic. If threat = DPS then they have i reality removed one aspect of the game; threath makeing. My list can be simplyfied down to survivability > dps/threath. I liked it when you hade to make a decission between makeing threath, survivability and trying to add some extra damage. Insted of removing these things to make the same spec good i more parts of the game, why not remove the cost for respecing instead.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #760 on: 14 Jan 2009, 01:27 »

I could see how that could be a concern in theory, but let's face it, at one point prot warrior tanking came dreadfully close to basically consisting of spamming Devastate and Shield Slam every time they were available.*  Now thanks to Sword & Board procs, the Revenge buff and the Devastate threat nerf, warrior tanking is more varied than ever.

*Mind you, I don't say that to minimize the difficulties of playing a tank; god knows you guys have to put up with a lot and you're typically forced into a leadership role whether you want to be or not. I just meant that most of the challenge involved actually came from learning the pulls, positioning and how to handle whatever wacky new gimick or threat dump the boss threw at you; which abilities to use at any given time is often too clear cut to be a big issue, at least after a bit of practice, at any rate. Plus, I'm completely aware that when us rogues fail an idiot and die to something silly, people usually just end up pointing and laughing at us while the guild leaders divvy up the loot. Tank idiocy, on the other hand, is often a wipe.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #761 on: 14 Jan 2009, 21:08 »

What's wrong with streamlining the system?  You didn't make a choice between DPS and threat previously, because tank DPS was nonexistent, even for pallies and druids.

Dual specs will come someday... maybe with Ulduar in 310.  But until then, respeccing costs a negligible amount of gold and some time.  Look at the Druid's Feral tree - it was always heralded as a great tank tree, because you could easily get all the good tank talents, switch to kitty gear, and still do respectable DPS when you weren't tanking.  It was why bears were the offtanks to have in TBC.  It's a very similar situation now with DKs - all three specs can tank (though Unholy is better for TPS and Frost is better for EHP) effectively, and all three specs can also DPS effectively.  Why shouldn't the Warrior, Paladin, and Druid trees be the same?  Tanking is one of our class roles - why shouldn't we be able to tank at least reasonably effective as any spec, instead of being forced to be the designated tank spec in order to tank?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #762 on: 15 Jan 2009, 06:38 »

I think the solution is to nerf Death Knights, not make the rest of the classes even more of a clustered mess. What's the fun of picking a specific spec if there's very little that really sets it apart from any other spec?

In terms of Druids, it's not like all three specs are viable for tanking.
JON MADE ME GAY

clockworkjames

« Reply #763 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:11 »

You can tank as a boomkin... to an extent.

Boomkinz with the right glads MT's kara at 70.

Dk's DO need a nerf, 2.5kdps constant and up to 8kdps when geared (Some broken dual wield thing or something).

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #764 on: 15 Jan 2009, 11:01 »

No, but druids can choose between being great with magic or great at melee. With the unification of +heal & +damage, druids can pitch in with healing OR damage yet still excel in a particular role; in raids of course they'll be asked to stick to their specialization more often than not, but that's true even of DKs. Just because a druid build doesn't always tank doesn't mean druids aren't capable of bringing multiple things to the table, plus they still have some unique class skills such as a battle rez and Innervate regardless of spec. No offense, but it's really, really, REALLY easy to think that classes already step on eachother's toes too much when you're a druid, since multi-tasking has always been a core ideal of the class. Besides, like it or not, blizzard now seems to think everyone should be pretty decent at dealing damage so you can "take the player, not the class." As a rogue player, I can't help but think that if this is true than frankly, I had better be able to start getting to do things that other classes can, since basically as it stands "the thing that makes my class unique" is standing behind things and wailing on them while bringing extremely limited utility.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2009, 11:03 by Alex C »

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #765 on: 15 Jan 2009, 21:30 »

Yep, it's one of the big hurdles they're either facing right now, or will be facing soon.  Making it so that your talent choices matters somewhat less as to what your class can do (example, Shield of Righteousness is available to all Paladin specs and comes with a huge bonus threat modifier, which allows both Holy and Ret to produce acceptable TPS, and thus tank) makes classes with more than one role to fill - and that's almost all of them, folks - much more fun to play.

But single-role classes, like Rogues, Hunters, Mages, and Warlocks, are going to start feeling left out.  Sure, how you spec changes how you do your DPS (well, kinda), but it doesn't change that you're always gonna be DPS.

Specifically to Rogues, I do think a number of problems they'll be facing is their strength in PvP.  You really can't give them too many new tricks or abilities, because they're already extremely powerful in PvP - giving them more tricks would certainly make them overpowered, and they're pretty damn close to that point already (Deadly Brew, anyone?)  You could make Sap usable on targets that're in combat, which would make Rogues more desirable for instances (as compared to a Ret pally which can do good DPS, toss some heals, buff the group, and do what amounts to an in-combat Sap), but would make them ludicrously powerful in PvP.

Personally, I think the best solution would be to completely and totally separate the PvP and PvE sides of the game, but that's a mammoth undertaking, and I'm not sure if we'll ever see it; and even if we do, it's probably gonna be a year or two from now, not a few months.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #766 on: 15 Jan 2009, 21:39 »

You don't need to do anything that drastic.  If they want to add utility to some classes just make the new abilities mob-only.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #767 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:16 »

That runs counter to their design philosophy, however; they want an ability that works against mobs to do the same thing when working against players in order to keep things neat and tidy for the newbs. Frankly, they considered the whole diminishing returns thing to be quite the concession as it is.

Anyway PizzaSHARK, that's exactly what I was driving at earlier when I said that as a PvE rogue I've always been painfully aware of our 1vs1 PvP capabilities (as much as people hate us, most of our strengths start to bleed away the second you get in a fight bigger than 3vs3). For example, here's an ability that would be no big deal in PvE but could have dire consequences in an arena: Letting combo points accrue independently of who you targeted. In PvE, it'd be nice because you could tab to a new target to quickly throw out a gouge on an add or something without having to worry about blowing energy on a finisher first lest you waste your combo points. Sure, it'd let you build up combo points on lesser mobs before engaging with elites, but that's hardly that big of a deal; I hardly doubt it'd be enough to let us solo troublesome mobs as easily as a warlock, druid or hunter can. But in an arena? Such a thing could potentially lead to epic nerd rage. I doubt Blizzard is comfortable with the idea of a couple rogues burning someone down with sustained dps and then immediately moving onto the next target with 2 or 3 combo points each in the chamber. And yet it's a confluence of little things like that which limits our flexibility in PvE. Not to put too fine a point on it, but unless we actually ARE doing more damage than everyone else on an important single target like a boss, the narrow focus of our abilities is as big of a liability as our lack of utility.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #768 on: 16 Jan 2009, 04:09 »

Which is why I don't play a Hunter, Mage, Rogue, or Warlock :)

I'm not sure how to really ensure these classes get raid slots and are made equal with the multi-role classes.  Mages already get slots because of their vending machine status, along with some useful buffs and abilities.  Warlocks are much in the same boat - healthstones, summons, soulstones, and probably imp totem too.  Hunters are a little less varied, but their CC's pretty strong between trapping and pet offtanking.  But Rogues don't bring buffs, their only really reliable CC is Sap (which can't be used in combat), and a lot of what makes them so deadly against players (poisons, easy and frequent spell interrupts, the goddamned stun chains) is either of limited useful against mobs, or not useful at all.  The only suggestion I can provide is to have faith in Blizzard - a lot of the time you're sitting there wondering what in the fuck they're doing, but then look at how they changed tanking for LK: every tank I know (and, as a healer and former tank myself, I know a lot of tanks) is ecstatic over how much better things are for them.

They've said us healers are next up on the game-changing changes list, and I wouldn't be surprised if DPS was far behind.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #769 on: 16 Jan 2009, 08:33 »

Yeah, honestly, I'm not really very worried about it all, contrary to my cranky late night post. Rogues do damage, very, very well, and sometimes raw damage is all you need someone to contribute; I don't play in a hardcore enviroment (anymore), so it is not like becoming truly obsolete is a real worry here. And the last thing I want to see is classes like Paladins get pigeonholed into being healbots again.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #770 on: 16 Jan 2009, 16:18 »

Easter Egg! I know this is already widely reported, but I've yet to find any pictures.

I'm pretty sure Linds is the only other WoW player on here who'll get a kick out of this:

pictures

Bahahahaha, I am so visting that island when my computer stops making evil noises.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

clockworkjames

« Reply #771 on: 16 Jan 2009, 20:28 »

Okay so I took some thinking and respecced 8/8/55 and my dps has not changed and I am getting more than a little rage starved from using HeroicStrike so much.

I dun get it, even with my new toy.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellscream&n=Melville

(fuck mongoose)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #772 on: 16 Jan 2009, 21:09 »

I'd blame the loss of Anger Management and the fact that you're getting used to a new spec which tempted you to Heroic Strike more often, leading to spikey rage generaiton. I wouldn't be surprised if that spec is actually capable of actually generating more rage than your old one thanks to the new epic and damage talents; the problem is likely that instead of getting 1 extra rage every 3 seconds, you're getting extra rage in unpredictable bunches (ie, when Cruelty gives you a crit on a white hit that you wouldn't have been a crit before.) I'd try giving the spec another go while throwing out slightly less Heroic Strikes than you did even with your old Anger Management build and see how that goes before throwing it under the bus.

Gratz on the sword, I love the looks.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2009, 21:16 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #773 on: 17 Jan 2009, 10:33 »

Thanks  :-D Fuggin love the sword, me and my old college buddies/some guiildies have a pretty sweet 5man team (warrior/rogue/shammy/huntar/Mage) so we do a few HC's per night to get geared and the gauntlet in UP had caused alot of grief, everyone was pretty stoked when the sword dropped because of how awesome it is.

I was also wondering what I should have done with points, they kinda got messy about shield shield specialisation/spell reflect/1h weps where I went fro 2/1/5 but I am thinking I should have gone 4/0/4 just because reflect is pretty much only going to be used on the MT since it does not work with AoE and I should be the one getting casted on.

Gonna leave it this way for a while, see how things play out.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #774 on: 17 Jan 2009, 20:57 »

Improved Spell Reflection is primarily a PvP talent, though it has some utility in 5-mans.  I'd personally go 3/5 Shield Spec/1H Spec unless you really, really need that extra 1% block.

Generally speaking, Heroic Strike a ragedump ability used when you're swimming in rage.  If you're having issues with not generating enough Rage (generally this happens when you're avoiding a lot of swings or not getting hit very hard), you shouldn't be using Heroic Strike unless you have an excess.

If you're talking about soloing, you should almost never use Heroic Strike unless you're swimming in rage; spamming Devastate is much more efficient.  But you should be soloing in DPS gear, anyway.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #775 on: 18 Jan 2009, 00:05 »

Settle down beavis.

Not everyone plays the game as a second job. Those of us that like having fun instead of doing calculus to optimize our toons don't enjoy being corrected on every talent point and itemizaions point, and those that do optimize every nitty gritty detail probably already read Tankadin, Elitist Jerks, etc.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #776 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:28 »

It's really not hard to stay current on how to do your job properly.  The major stickied threads at Elitist Jerks and (usually) under your class forums on the official WoW boards are often very easy to understand and don't require you to do any math at all - it's all been done for you already.  Tankspot also has a wealth of information, but it's a little more difficult to find; I mostly use Tankspot for their Project Marmot videos these days to help teach new people how they can expect a raid fight to proceed.

I wouldn't classify my WoW gameplay as a second job; if it was that way, I'd be logging in every single day to do my dailies and all kinds of other crap like some folks on my server (and a handful in my guild.)  On the contrary, there are entire weeks where I may not play at all, or at most just log in to fiddle with my auctions.

I've never understood the viewpoint that you have to be a supernerd in order to be good at the game.  It makes no sense at all.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #777 on: 18 Jan 2009, 17:02 »

So I got a few equipment upgrades in quick succession yesterday taking me from an "eh, doing alright" status in the area that I am currently (Zangarmarsh) to being a meatgrinder again.  I got my first gem-slot item as the result of a quest (three slot red-blue-yellow. I put in a +12 str red, a +21 sta blue and a +12 to hit yellow).  The socket bonus was +4 str and it had 16str/22sta/15crit on it naturally, so I was quite pleased with it.  I also put some heavy knothide onto it for the extra stamina boost because even though I'm treating sta as a dump stat it's about the only thing I could add to it at the moment.  After that I got a new belt with 15 hit rating (I think) and find that with all the extra +hit I am generating a lot more rage (who'd have thunk it, right?) due to less misses.  I am now swimming in rage and dumping using HS a lot - Charge, Vic, HS, BT, HS, (repeat as req) then Exe if needed.

Thinking about doing some dungeons/instance runs with some PUGs or at least trying to convince a high-level mate to train me in what I should be doing in them.  Keep looking at some of the gear I could be getting in these dungeons and thinking that it would be kind of nice.  I've run a few instances one other chars around level 20-30 and they were fun-ish, but I guess I've been fairly solo-focused for so long it's hard to get out of that mindset.

edit: oh man, I just realised that I was getting a little rage-starved before the latest upgrades mainly due to removing a few points from "Unbridled Wrath" last week in a re-spec experiment.  Now that I am generating enough rage again I guess the experiment has worked?  Will see how it goes.

Also, I am guessing that if I want to go into dungeons I'd re-spec yet again to go more heavily into Imp Whirlwind/Berserker stance so I can just stay in Berzerker stance to lessen the threat and use WW?  Guessing I'd charge less as DPS in instances and technically Enrage would become less useful, as I should not really be getting hit enough to activate it in a useful way.  So the 7 pts in Blood Craze, Piercing Howl & Enrage would go out in favour of 2/2 Imp WW and 5/5 Imp Berzerker Stance?
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2009, 17:11 by est »

masquerade

« Reply #778 on: 18 Jan 2009, 19:35 »

A hypothetical situation, in the midst of class discussion/argument.

Say you and your best friends form a guild on a server away from your mains to simply play together, since one of you has moved very far away and hanging out in real time is no longer possible. It is agreed that you are all officers with equal power, and that you are the core of the guild. Adding new members is not necessarily the goal.
Say you, as one of the friends, are not on as much as the others, because you have school and work full time, in addition to a significant other and attempting to build a social life in a state halfway across the country. After a week and a half or so, you log on for some serious play time because you finally have a night that's free and clear of obligations. Upon finally getting in [because the other two are the smart ones who chose a nearly full realm to start on, which is now a locked realm], you find that you've been demoted. You have no power within the guild. One of the others signs on, and you ask them why. They say that it's because the other members [aka strangers] have been complaining about you never being on and having more power than them. Would you be upset? Do you think it's understandable to be upset? Finally, would you think that your best friend kicking you out of the guild would be a viable reaction to you being upset?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #779 on: 18 Jan 2009, 19:43 »

I would think it would be normal to be upset, as it was supposed to be a guild of friends.  Kicking you out of the guild would be a fucked thing to do.  I'd feel pretty shit that the best friend had chosen the feelings/thoughts of some strangers over me, and would tell him so on the phone (ie: not in-game) to let him know that this is an action that has real-world repercussions, not just some in-game bullshit.

crohnsy

• Plantmonster
  • hmm....
« Reply #780 on: 18 Jan 2009, 22:17 »

A hypothetical situation, in the midst of class discussion/argument.

Say you and your best friends form a guild on a server away from your mains to simply play together, since one of you has moved very far away and hanging out in real time is no longer possible. It is agreed that you are all officers with equal power, and that you are the core of the guild. Adding new members is not necessarily the goal.
Say you, as one of the friends, are not on as much as the others, because you have school and work full time, in addition to a significant other and attempting to build a social life in a state halfway across the country. After a week and a half or so, you log on for some serious play time because you finally have a night that's free and clear of obligations. Upon finally getting in [because the other two are the smart ones who chose a nearly full realm to start on, which is now a locked realm], you find that you've been demoted. You have no power within the guild. One of the others signs on, and you ask them why. They say that it's because the other members [aka strangers] have been complaining about you never being on and having more power than them. Would you be upset? Do you think it's understandable to be upset? Finally, would you think that your best friend kicking you out of the guild would be a viable reaction to you being upset?

Sounds like ingame bs. maybe the guild is heading in a new and different direction than it was previously formed upon. who cares if you have no 'power' in the guild.  it is just agame just play it to have fun. you dont have to be the same rank to chat when online with your friend do you?  hell you dont even have to be in the same guild to chat and run things with them.

Sure you can be a little upset but remember at the end of the day it doesnt really matter, its only a game and sometimes plans change.

I dont know if est is trolling you or not but seriously dont let a game dictate your real life even if your friend 'demoted' you and you are feeling all buthurt

clockworkjames

« Reply #781 on: 18 Jan 2009, 22:45 »

est - keep doing what you are doing and run some instances ASAP, I can assure you that the people you will be put in a group with will have put nowhere near as much though as to how to play their class as you have, so just go with it. Nobody takes fury warriors seriously but you need to learn how to play in a team situation as early as possible. Also your build looks pretty spot on.

masquerade - Take it on the chin and shrug it off, there is no real use to being an officer other than E-Peen, if the rank affected how you played the game you should not even bother playing, guilds are meant to be for banter and easy groups, then at engame raiding and HC's. If you never played for ages you should expect to be demoted, people move on and progress but getting pissy enough about it so as to have your "best friend" kicking you out of the guild is a bit lame, in fact you make it sound like a bunch of friends played WoW for the first 30 something levels then you stopped and now your friends are all in outlands trying to improve the guild.

I play on 4ish servers, my main is alli hellscream and I play boulderfist horde with friends, the friends have nowhere near as much experience with the game but I play with them for fun and linked accounts makes it a laugh, they had the guild "set sail for fail" which I am still in but due to naxx/hc's/that 25man dragon raid I was not on for a week and 2 members made a new guild (we eat tables) that alot of my SSFF friends joined. I nevber got an inv, I didn't expect one. In SSFF I never even had GB privelages and didn't care, I am good at what I do, I help my friends and that is all that matters. We are not even in the same guild, getting annoyed over guild status is not just pathetic but more than a little retarded. My main on hellscream has restricted GB access (1 stack a day) but I put loads of ore/mats/random scrolls and pot's I will not use in it all the time to help the guild because it makes sense.

masquerade

« Reply #782 on: 18 Jan 2009, 23:17 »

It's not the demotion that really bothers me all that much, it's that they're kind of going back on what they said. Originally, the guild was supposed to be just the crew, no one else unless we really hit it off with another player. And it was agreed that if we decided to grow, that the crew would remain the core officers, with equal power [like I said]. It just irritated me that they'd taken the whining of inexperienced strangers to heart rather than the agreement we'd all made as friends. Also, I confronted her about it, yes, but it didn't warrant a kick from the guild. That's just how she handles things. She "punishes" her friends for making her mad or calling her judgment into question.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #783 on: 18 Jan 2009, 23:26 »

My point was that a bunch of friends said they would do something and then ditched one of the friends because some random fucks said so.  Who cares where it happened, it's the thing itself that would give me the shits.

And yeah, that sucks, masq.  Sounds like your friend is a bit of a bitch :(

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #784 on: 19 Jan 2009, 04:51 »

Just use her email address to register for a bunch of porn and crap.   :evil:
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

masquerade

« Reply #785 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:55 »

Thanks, Est. I always worry whether or not I'm getting upset about something that doesn't really matter. Sometimes it doesn't, but it's nice to feel justified when it does. :]
And Chesire, that would be a wonderful idea, except it can't be regular porn. Must be lesbian porn. She'll spontaneously combust.  :evil:

Okay [/drama], back to class discussions haha. :] I'm leveling another druid, and I decided to give feral a shot like everyone told me to a while back, but I just can't do it. I'm so much faster at shifting through spells and layering them on top of each other because I almost instinctively know their cast times. Melee just makes me want to bang my head on a desk.
Also, there's this guy who was about six levels lower than me that was beating my ass in duels. He was using Enti's Quenched Sword [http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37659]. This is the first I've seen or heard of this thing, and I was beyond irritated.

clockworkjames

« Reply #786 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:25 »

Hahaha, entis :3

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellscream&n=Indapooper

Q_Q moar plox.

That sword is so much fun, item lv is 200 (a normal 80 epic) but there is no lv req so a warriors rend can hit for 140+ per tick and you get rend at lv 4.

I can EASILY beat a non twinked lv 25 with just what you see there, cleft and a piece or two of lame armour.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #787 on: 19 Jan 2009, 14:33 »

Ok so, I probably don't get how Rend works.  How can that 2-4dmg/0.8dps sword make Rend hit for 140+ dmg per tick?

oh hey:

"Hidden stats" or something.

Quote from: rhagus
My level 4 warrior just dueled a level 12 mage and one-shotted him (257 crit). I love that sword! :D
Quote from: savagy
clearly outplayed that mage

hurr.

Apparently Blizz have said that the sword is bugged & will be "fixed" in 3.0.8
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2009, 14:43 by est »

masquerade

« Reply #788 on: 19 Jan 2009, 16:57 »

I was exasperated, to say the least. Haha.

clockworkjames

« Reply #789 on: 19 Jan 2009, 18:11 »

I dunno if they will "Fix it" yeah it is broken but they also put it there for a reason.

masquerade

« Reply #790 on: 19 Jan 2009, 18:17 »

The guy said it was so rogue twinks didn't have all the fun dealing out damage.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #791 on: 19 Jan 2009, 19:14 »

It's supposedly an in-joke "homage" to Inte's Sword from EQ.  An "unkillable" mob called Inte was killed by FoH (a guild that some of the Blizz team used to be in) and they looted it.  2h, Paladin-only, 150dmg, 15 delay (150 base dmg every 1.5 secs), about a bazillion times better than the Pally epic.

Oh man, looking at the loot screenies brings back memories, heh.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #792 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:39 »

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=14318919433&pageNo=1&sid=1#4

Quote from: Ghostcrawler
We wanted to make threat easier to manage, especially at earlier tiers of content. However threat generation is still the responsibility of the tank as well as the rest of the group. If your tank has trouble with threat generation, then you may run into encounters where you can't beat the timer.

It is only my opinion, and some groups can still make it work, but often the tanks complaining that they can't hold aggro or always asking the dps to slow down are the ones who choose gear and talents solely for survivability over threat-generation and try and argue that they don't care how terrible their own dps is.

Hopefully this illustrates my point :)

clockworkjames

« Reply #793 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:01 »

It is only my opinion, and some groups can still make it work, but often the tanks complaining that they can't hold aggro or always asking the dps to slow down are the ones who choose gear and talents solely for survivability over threat-generation and try and argue that they don't care how terrible their own dps is.

HOLY FUCK THEY NERFED OUR THREAT Q_Q

[sensible]Coolies[/sensible]

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #794 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:03 »

3.0.8 today! Hooray! I hope the rumored kitty swipe makes it in there!
JON MADE ME GAY

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #795 on: 20 Jan 2009, 16:07 »

Oh man awesome.  3.0.8 is gonna remove the to-hit penalty of the 51 pt Fury talent - or has that happened previously?  I forget & I'm not up to it yet - wait, I could be if I re-spec.  Oh man, yeah.  I could do this immediately and work my way toward this.  Not sure what to do with the extra point, but by that time I'll probably have changed my mind/focus anyway so keeping it open is probably a good thing.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #796 on: 20 Jan 2009, 17:06 »

I'm jealous of the Titan's Grip buff, but on the other hand, that Fan of Knives buff made me giddy even back when it was just a rumor, so complaining about it would make me fee like an ungrateful git.

clockworkjames

« Reply #797 on: 20 Jan 2009, 18:18 »

Yeah, just be thankful you are not a hunter! (nerf)

Titans went from 15% to 12% to 5% and now to 0% if I remember correctly.

crohnsy

• Plantmonster
  • hmm....
« Reply #798 on: 20 Jan 2009, 20:05 »

Yeah, just be thankful you are not a hunter! (nerf)

Titans went from 15% to 12% to 5% and now to 0% if I remember correctly.

:roll:

yeah sucks being #1 dmg dealer by a considerable margin to now being competitive with everyone else...

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #799 on: 20 Jan 2009, 22:54 »

Yeah, just be thankful you are not a priest! (nerf)

fyp
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53   Go Up