THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 08:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651290 times)

crohnsy

• Plantmonster
  • hmm....
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #850 on: 30 Jan 2009, 18:12 »

grats  you should run the VoA 10man and heoric Im sure lots of people on your server pug it when you have wintergrasp.  Be rolling in T7.5 in no time

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #851 on: 30 Jan 2009, 19:12 »

The guild has started doing 25 mans (well, like 3 weeks ago, doing VoA, OS and Naxx every week) so the group of 5 of us that 2-6 did HC's every day/nite have got 5 more people and we do 10 man naxx instead, is really good fun to do it without guild leaders and stuff. I got my tanking ring from the spider quarter and we downed patchwerk but both tanks died when he was on 7k hp :P luckily it was all ranged DPS and he died before reaching everyone else. Was awesome.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #852 on: 30 Jan 2009, 19:52 »

grats  you should run the VoA 10man and heoric Im sure lots of people on your server pug it when you have wintergrasp.  Be rolling in T7.5 in no time

Yeah, I've picked up some PVP pants from there. We've done 10man OS too. Both were fun, and we are going to be doing more of them.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

clockworkjames

« Reply #853 on: 31 Jan 2009, 02:08 »

OS is my favourite dragon fight.

IT'S SO MUCH AWESOME!

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #854 on: 31 Jan 2009, 04:10 »

3D on OS10 is not for the faint of heart.  So hard :(

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #855 on: 31 Jan 2009, 07:40 »

I keep coming into this thread, but I have no idea what any of it means. And I play the game.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

clockworkjames

« Reply #856 on: 31 Jan 2009, 07:44 »

3D on OS10 is not for the faint of heart.  So hard :(
Hardest fight to do in the game atm. 3 dragons down is not hard, is easy as pie and alot of fun.

crohnsy

• Plantmonster
  • hmm....
« Reply #857 on: 31 Jan 2009, 08:28 »

So I got Dying Curse last week in Naxx 25. now this week on patchwerk I led the way doing 6,072 dps over the 4minutes he was alive.  Next closest players were around 5000 dps. Fully raid buffed and when both my trinkets proc I have about 3900 spellpower  !

Armory here if anyone is interested.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&n=Unravelled

clockworkjames

« Reply #858 on: 31 Jan 2009, 10:17 »

Pics or it didn't happen.
* clockworkjames is jealous as a warrior tank who pushes 1200dps on patchwerk :(

justlikeaphoto

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #859 on: 03 Feb 2009, 12:17 »

I'm seeing no love for Malygos.  What is going on here?

And Three Drake OS is beyond insane.
March from a burning ship to a rained out parade!

crohnsy

• Plantmonster
  • hmm....
« Reply #860 on: 03 Feb 2009, 12:31 »

I thought I ss'd it but cant find it.  So I don't know where it is.  think it was just a lucky fight  perfect buffs and lucky crits

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #861 on: 04 Feb 2009, 00:37 »

Pics or it didn't happen.
* clockworkjames is jealous as a warrior tank who pushes 1200dps on patchwerk :(

Our primary MT was breaking 2400 on Omen earlier today, and he's a warrior, too :(

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #862 on: 04 Feb 2009, 04:12 »

I don't know why, but whenever I go into a cave/building, my client starts to lag. Its not my internet connection, I run the game fine outside. It only ever lags when I go inside, and sometimes when I am using a vendor (very rarely though). Any idea what is causing this? Outside, even in towns, I can run around fine, but it seems that as soon as I put a ceiling above my character, the lag starts happening. It has led to me dying a couple times, and has also led me to be unable to finish quests that take place inside of a building. Also, I cannot do any instances since most of them at my level require me to go inside some place.

justlikeaphoto

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #863 on: 04 Feb 2009, 05:35 »

Well that sounds just odd.

When you say Lag are you actually talking about latency (ping between you and the servers) or Video Lag (poor frame rates and performance)?

From what you've mentioned it doesn't sound like Video Lag (that's usually way worse when you're out in the world then it is inside buildings/caves) but I've never heard of ping spikes in interior locations (other then raid instances like Naxx and OS) but not exterior.

I know that pre-patch 3.0.8 there were horrible latency issues (especially in instances such as Naxx) that were supposed to be fixed (and post-patch 3.0.8a they appear to have been) however what you're describing (if it is ping related and you don't mean Video Lag) is just perplexing.

I thought I ss'd it but cant find it.  So I don't know where it is.  think it was just a lucky fight  perfect buffs and lucky crits

As for this, it'd be possible.  I've broken 4.5K DPS on 25 Man Naxx before on Patchwerk with my Affliction Warlock.  I've seen a Fury Warrior hit 6K on the same fight as well as a DK break 5K.

If it was a fight where some kind of DPS buff comes into play (such as Loatheb, Thadeus, Malygos) then you can run even higher.  In my 10 Man raiding group our Rogue, DK, Hunter, and myself (Warlock) pretty much run 3.5K consistantly on every fight (with the exception of fights like Heigan the Unclean).  However I never put a whole lot of stock into Damage Meters (Recount or otherwise) because they aren't terribly accurate nor do they display just how much of a role you played in the fight (IE like with Thadeus where movement and positioning is beyond important).  I gauge how well someone is performing on if they're still alive at the end of the fight and if not why they died.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2009, 05:47 by justlikeaphoto »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #864 on: 04 Feb 2009, 07:22 »

I thought maybe my grafix were too high and it was rendering too much, too close. I turned them to the minimums and still I have the same issue indoors. It feels like video lag, basically, I can't do anything but if I activate spells they will still go through. Only indoors though. I have no idea whats up with this, but its very annoying. (I have still not been to ironforge yet

justlikeaphoto

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #865 on: 04 Feb 2009, 10:43 »

That's video lag but not in anyway I've ever heard of before.  So...

Without knowing much about your machine the only thing I can say is it sounds like a Driver issue.

Check with your graphic cards manufacturer's website and ensure you're running the latest drivers for your card.  If you aren't download and install the newest ones.  If that still doesn't fix the issue I have no idea.  WoW is a fairly rescource friendly game.  You don't need an uber PC to run it comfortably but if you're using a PC that has low RAM, an onboard graphics engine (integrated into the Motherboard rather then actually a seperate component, this is rather common in PCs that aren't specifically labled as Gaming Rigs, systems like e-Machines, HP, and lesser Dell & Gateway machines generally do this), or a slow processor it can cripple your experience.

HOWEVER, as I said before, your little problem isn't acting like the typical subpar PC issue (unless you were in like Shattrath City or Dalaran, then Video lag is pretty common).

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #866 on: 04 Feb 2009, 12:34 »

It is probably my drivers I am betting. I had to use the previous version of the drivers when I had a graphics problem in City of Heroes, so I may just need to update them. I'll try that.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #867 on: 04 Feb 2009, 12:58 »

Have you tried turning the new fancy ass shadow settings off? Rendering those things can be tricky for older GPUs plus they're the only real graphic upgrade WoW has recieved relatively recently, so it's worth looking into. I'd also try turning off the reverb effect and see if that helps; audio lag is pretty rare in modern computing, but then again, the echo effects are about the only thing I can think of that really depend on whether you're indoors or not. It's doubly worth looking into if you have a Creative Labs sound card; Blizzard used a middleware developer to create their own software audio solution, and it has a history of not always playing nice with hardware solutions.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #868 on: 04 Feb 2009, 14:02 »

When I said my graphics were the lowest, I have everything turned to the lowest setting pretty much. And all special effects are off. I'm guessing that it's the drivers, I'll update those tomorrow and try playing again.

clockworkjames

« Reply #869 on: 08 Feb 2009, 03:58 »

Driver update help?

Also I have been playing more and more often on boulderfist where a bunch of my friends play, they are all mega higher lv than me (lv 70 while I am 60) so I am stuck pugging as a broccoli and getting dicked by some DK/Pally/etc. whenever I walk out the instance, On avrage I get killed by some alliance player every 2 hours. When this happens I res and get on with it, if they camp I log my warrior on hellscream and do some BG's or dailys since as a restro drood I stand no chance at all in pvp (I am full restro in alot of cloth so cat/bear form will still suck), other than that it is a low pop server with a shit economy but my friends still insist it is by far better than Hellscream which is full to the point of a 2 minute wait once in a while (95% of the time it is straight in) with a really good bunch of people on it. What do you guys look for in a server? I like high pop PvE serverswith lots of lv 80's.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #870 on: 08 Feb 2009, 04:37 »

Didn't get the chance to update my drivers yet, but, I found a smokin deal on a new desktop, so... you know, I bought that. And it seems to run pretty well thus far, I'm just trying to get used to a widescreen instead of my normal aspect ratio. The upgrade added a gig of ram, and took me from a Nvidia 4400 to a 7800. Also I think the new one has a better processor too. It was a much needed upgrade.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #871 on: 08 Feb 2009, 16:09 »

I like PvE servers, and seeing as I solo almost exclusively population size doesn't affect my gameplay all that much.  When I think about things other than immediate gameplay however I guess that a decent sized pop is good for AH activity, so a high pop server means more customers for my ore, which is a definite plus.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #872 on: 08 Feb 2009, 17:14 »

Oh also, I have been taking a break from Outland questing.  I went back to Stormwind and Darnassus to do noob quests until I was Exalted with both.  That makes me exalted with SW, Darn and IF.  I am tossing up continuing this trend with the tentacle monsters.  I tried doing it with the Gnomes by going into Gnomeregan, but two things: 1. god dammit if that place isn't a goddawful clusterfuck of a place and 2. after unning the entire goddamn thing I am still only at 10k/21k Honored.  Is there some other easy way to get Exalted with Gnomes or am I stuck running around the fucking world finding a gnome here a gnome there and running quests for them?  I am trying to get all 5 Alliance factions Exalted to get the "Ambassador" title.  Ideally I would also love to become exalted with both Cenarius factions, but we'll see how my rep grinding stamina holds up.

Also, I have been going through all the lower-level dungeons to get the achievements for them.  It's pretty fun running through all these things and just smashing everything.  I've been using it as a chance to skill up all the weapons I am not very good with, so in addition to having fun and filling in my achievements it's also pretty useful.  I've got all the major melee weapons maxed (except staves, which I am pretty uninterested in) plus my throwing skill up to about 310/330 from 0 last week, so it's going pretty quickly.  Throwing is pretty good because I don't need to keep buying ammunition.  I only use it as a pulling tool, not a damage tool so I don't care what the damage is on it.

clockworkjames

« Reply #873 on: 08 Feb 2009, 17:58 »

Most of the time, and especially as fury for dps thrown has better bonuses for melee than guns/bows/crossbows and so warriors and rogues use throws weps so all warriors should be using thrown weapons unless you have a danm good reason not to (combat plated shotty etc.) and also staves are scarily popular for arms warriors as drood staves can be better than alot of other 2h weps as well as easier to get/slower speed for high top end hits.

As for killing noems, it's fun so keep it up :/

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #874 on: 08 Feb 2009, 19:24 »

Yeah but I wish it was as easy as killing a bunch of leper gnomes and troggs in Gnomer to get faction :(  I've done all the Gnomeregan Exiles quests in IF and SW and I'm still only 10k Revered (not Honored as I thought before).  Apparently the best way to do it is to just go through all the little Alliance quests and keep getting as much rep as you can, because whatever rep you get with the Alliance races you get quarter that for with the other Alliance races.  So I guess if I go to the Exodar and do all the starting out quests there, then see where that leads me I will slowly but surely get there with both the tentacle monsters and the delicious little gnomes.

edit: apparently it's a quarter, not half.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2009, 19:27 by est »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #875 on: 08 Feb 2009, 20:06 »

I just read an interesting article claiming that this build is very good to respec to once I hit 70, due to prot tanks being very fast to level using AoE grinding.  This page claims that you can take on 10-15 mobs at a time using Thunderclap and 51pt prot ability Shockwave to AoE them to death.

James, as a prot warrior do you think this is a viable option, or do you think maybe they are talking out their asses?

edit: If it looks viable I could probably respec to this asap so I can AoE the crap out of the early level quests I'm doing and rip through them more quickly.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2009, 20:09 by est »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #876 on: 08 Feb 2009, 20:53 »

I'm talking out of my ass here, but 10-15 mobs without dipping below 90% health sounds like a bit of a stretch depending on your gear level; besides, simply tagging that many mobs can be kind of a pain in the ass in the first place depending on the zone (although, on second thought, I bet you could definitely do it with a wooly rhino or mammoth herd). The more practical question is "Can I AoE grind enough mobs for it to be worth the effort?" and I'd say the answer is definitely yes to that one; I've seen more than a few people do it and easily handling a half dozen mobs or so safely is always a nice trick to have in your pocket whether you really intend to use it or not. One bit of good news/bad news for you though; the trinket linked in that article isn't really available outside of the Brewfest event, but the Figurine of the Colossus is.. It's not that great of a trinket overall (Shield block rating is kind of a crappy stat), but the on use effect is tailor made for the aoe grinding multiple non-elites.

In other news, I am giddy that they are buffing Killing Spree for rogues. It's already pretty nice when combined with Blade Flurry for leveling, but at 80 I can totally see how it'd become an afterthought the second you can combine Adrenaline Rush or Focused Attacks with Fan of Knives. Hopefully they'll do enough with it that I won't completely forget about it once I decide to stop being a casual again.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2009, 21:19 by Alex C »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #877 on: 08 Feb 2009, 21:28 »

Well alright, I may give it a try.  I wish that Blizz would patch in the alternate spec changer thinger they have been talking about lately, that really would be tops about now.

clockworkjames

« Reply #878 on: 09 Feb 2009, 00:39 »

If you want me to summarise alot of tanking stuff for you to get the basics fast I will type it all up and pm you it, I would pretty much just be making all the shit on tankspot/tankingtips etc. a fast read with no bullshit. I can tell you the pros and cons of each tank build is good for each situation, like the build mentioned in your link is not great for what is trying to be done tbh but I don't want to kill this thread with megahuegwalloftexthitsyoufor100000physical(crit)youdie.

James, as a prot warrior do you think this is a viable option, or do you think maybe they are talking out their asses?
Very viable, keep shield block up and get as much str on your gear as possible and go apeshit on mobs. Instead of 15 mobs then a big downtime, with warbringer you should do 2-3 mobs then charge at another 2-3 mobs rinse repeat then when you get to 70% hit enraged regeneration, or for an added bonus try commanding shout/last stand/enraged regeneration, so say you have 20k hp as prot, you get over 2k from commanding shout then another 30% from last stand gets you ~28600hp then enraged regen gives you back 30% of THAT number as hp (8580hp) back so when you lose last stand you still get the stupid high regen rate giving you more like 45% of your hp back. Repeat this every 3-5 minutes and you should have zero downtime.

This is also what I do in arenas and duels (often with a trink popped) and it REALLY fucks your oponent off something aweful to see your hp creep back up at an alarming rate with no healer in sight.

As you are 66 atm, I might suggest starting here for solo play.

Shield block rating is kind of a crappy stat

NO.

IT IS AWESOME.

SHIELD SLAM.

END.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2009, 01:02 by clockworkjames »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #879 on: 09 Feb 2009, 01:51 »

I said shield block rating, not shield block value. Shield block rating is a very vanilla stat that only affects how often you block. It's an OK stat to help get you over the crushing blow hump, but it should be replaced with +defense or parry/dodge whenever possible. Shield block value enhancers, however, I have no beef with because yeah, they increase how much your shield slams hit for, increasing your aggro and general solo pwnage potential; that's why the good ol' Autoblocker is more of a dps/threat trinket than a mitigation tool. Hell, my former guild leader noticed that a lot of ZA gear had a bunch of block value on it and decided to stack the stuff for his threat set on farm nights. Throw in Impale and he could easily crit for around 2.5k in real play. Block value would be ideal for this li'l project, which is why I had planned on suggesting hitting the Borean Tundra and grabbing the Icechill Buckler at his earliest convenience. If there's such a thing as a "threat/dps" shield at that low of an ilevel in Warcraft, that one is it.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2009, 02:10 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #880 on: 09 Feb 2009, 02:21 »

Yeah to be hoinest I never clicked any links until after I posted...

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #881 on: 09 Feb 2009, 02:24 »

It's cool; I always thought they should have come up with a better set of terms than block value and block rating anyway. Synonyms ftl.

clockworkjames

« Reply #882 on: 09 Feb 2009, 10:21 »

Also I just rewatched patchwerk from sunday nite, I was doing 1730dps so I wonder what I would be doing with agi ench on my sword... hmm. Top was the lock with 3871 followed closely by an unholy DK with 3703 (but there was another DK with 1603 so I dunno). I was 14th in a 25 man raid as MT on him, so I am pretty chuffed atm.

crohnsy

• Plantmonster
  • hmm....
« Reply #883 on: 09 Feb 2009, 10:39 »

What enchant do you have on your weapon now?  were you taking hatefuls or just his normal hits? whats your tps?  I think thats a more important thing to be concerned about than dps.  Who were the  4 people you out damaged? I'm guessing the other two tanks and then 2 dps that are in greens?

I think the consensus for tanks is accuracy is the best choice for tanking but its not cheap.  titanium weapon chain and mongoose are next for the favourites.

oh also agility would be more for mitigation than upping your deeps
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2009, 10:45 by crohnsy »

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #884 on: 09 Feb 2009, 10:57 »

Installation is the longest thing, guys. HATE.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #885 on: 09 Feb 2009, 10:58 »

HATE HATE HATE.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

justlikeaphoto

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #886 on: 09 Feb 2009, 11:13 »

Your DPS will get better with gear.  Our Frost DK MT runs about 2.5K on average (3K spikes in several encounters) in Naxx 10 (I myself run about 3K to 3.5K and up on my Warlock).  In Heroic Naxx you can only go up (as I mentioned in an earlier post, or at least I think I did, I was doing a 25 man Naxx run where a Fury Warrior was pushing over 6K).

But onto a different topic: I'm bummed out.  The guild I'm part of decided it'd be a good idea to merge with another guild.  Now while I'm all for making the jump into the 25 Man content more accessible (although there wasn't really an issue in the first place, we were doing content before the merger as two guilds rather then one) but the end result is less then desirable.  Perhaps it’s because I'm not really excited for change but I'd be lying if I said I'm enjoying myself.

Last night our 10 Man group from last week finished up Naxx and we moved on to jump in on a 25 Man.  Needless to say it went poorly.  It has nothing to do with the skill level, because everyone there is talented; it was (to put it bluntly) just a giant cluster-fuck of fail.  Other then being called out during the Four Horsemen encounter by a Paladin (because I'm sure he knows how to play my class better then me, which he demonstrated by his overall lack of knowledge on just how the spells I have available for self healing work) for not staying up while Drain Tanking in the back (and if you've done Sir Zelik on Heroic you already know that his spells hit for about 8K to 12K every two seconds, when you're a Warlock with about 22,000 HP that's half your life every two seconds) when he himself turns around and dies in the following attempt after the switch off.  Besides that there were multiple fucked attempts and false starts on Instructor Razuvious along with a horrible strategy for Gothik the Harvester.  Needless to say I was pretty irritated but that's neither here nor there.

The point I'm trying to get across is if you have a great guild, hold on to it.  If you're a GM, for the love of god, talk to your members.  I asked a few of my fellow guildies how they felt about the situation and every one I spoke with privately was nervous, adamant, or totally opposed the idea.  So why go along with it?  Because no one wants to be left out.  I have a strong feeling our GM didn't bother asking anyone other then possibly an officer or two when he decided to do this but that's his choice.  Do I agree with it?  Obviously not otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here bitching about it.

Take my advice and be a good GM, talk to your members as well as your officers.  I know a Guild doesn't equal a democracy but you should have some kind of idea on where your members sit before making rash decisions.

clockworkjames

« Reply #887 on: 09 Feb 2009, 11:36 »

What enchant do you have on your weapon now?  were you taking hatefuls or just his normal hits? whats your tps?  I think thats a more important thing to be concerned about than dps.  Who were the  4 people you out damaged? I'm guessing the other two tanks and then 2 dps that are in greens?

I think the consensus for tanks is accuracy is the best choice for tanking but its not cheap.  titanium weapon chain and mongoose are next for the favourites.

oh also agility would be more for mitigation than upping your deeps
Woah you said a mouthful, I just put 26 agi on hatestrike (my threat tanking sword) and it had no ench beforehand and I have titanium wep chain on red sword of courage (my "staying alive" sword). I outDPS'd 1 offtank (the pally) and a DPS dk in 3 pieces of 25 man naxx gear as well as inevitable defeat and alot of emblem gear, the rest bloos. I never looked lower than that.

My tps is not below 5k in the fight peaking at 7.5k and sitting just over 6k most of the time.

crohnsy

• Plantmonster
  • hmm....
« Reply #888 on: 09 Feb 2009, 12:59 »

thats sounds pretty solid.  bummer for the dk, maybe hes got to figure out his rotations.  Your enchants are pretty set  I probably wouldn't bother with accuracy till LL comes your way. our main tank got it a couple weeks ago and damn its hot.  our mt gives me vigi and he never looks back on threat its nuts. I think hes in the 7k sustained range with spikes here and there depnding on how big my soulfire crits are.

clockworkjames

« Reply #889 on: 09 Feb 2009, 17:05 »

The DK is a DOÚCHE.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #890 on: 09 Feb 2009, 17:41 »

I just rejigged my spec.  So many new toys to play with!

James, can you please gimme that quick PM summary you were talking about?  Probably not really a tanking tanking summary, but which abilities are the main ones I should spam and which are circumstantial, etc.  I respecced just before running into the Eredari noob area to run through low-level quests for rep, but predictably I haven't really been pushed hard enough to need to worry about what skills do what yet.  Oh, I am already really enjoying the shield spike against the low mobs I think?   Either that or Damage Shield working its magic, I guess!

At the moment I am guessing that against single-target doods I use Charge, spam Devastate, hit Revenge as it pops and Shield Slam if I have the rage available and need extra damage.  Situationals would include Shield Bashing healers, maybe Disarming mobs with big weapons.  For multiples I would probably uh, Charge, Thunderclap, start attacking one of them, manoeuvre into a good position and use Shockwave, Thunderclap again when it pops, same with Revenge.  Then do the HP mitigation stuff you talked about if/when it gets low.

clockworkjames

« Reply #891 on: 09 Feb 2009, 19:55 »

You got the basics nailed, I will write up full rotation pros/cons and talent breakdown's tomorrow, along with some gear you may want to look into for levelling and things all tanks should know for instances etc.

Will write it up in the morning or tonite if I get bored enough.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #892 on: 09 Feb 2009, 20:19 »

Ok man, thanks for that.  I figure that if I can level effectively with this kind of build then from time to time I can also go run a PuG instance or something and slowly learn how to tank.

clockworkjames

« Reply #893 on: 09 Feb 2009, 20:27 »

Writing it up now as I camp this elusive bitch in the corner of my eye.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #894 on: 09 Feb 2009, 23:36 »

People that camp spawns for the Northern Exposure achievement or Time-Lost Proto Drake make me giggle.  I got Northern Exposure while doing my Frenzyheart dailies and sold the blue it dropped for 225g on top of the 18g that was in the bag it dropped.  I haven't found the drake yet (not that I really care to), but I'll wager it'll be the same way for me.  I may just sit and have it tapped and wait for Allies to come try and take it from me.

We use people that can heal themselves for 4H if we're not going for the achievement.  Last time it was me and a Holy Priest switching off between the chick and the white guy.  We switch at three stacks and do that the whole time.  The damage gets high at three stacks, but you have ample time to regenerate some MP while the other's debuff starts stacking on you.  Shadow Resistance helps on the chick, but there isn't too much you can do on the white guy except just grit your teeth and keep healing.

clockworkjames

« Reply #895 on: 10 Feb 2009, 01:11 »

Maaan I have been writing this shit for close to 6 hours...

I lied about a quick summary, this is gonna be a meaty read of tankdom.

Seriously though, fml I am tired.

[EDIT] F M L SERIOOUSDLSY

http://files.filefront.com/tankingdoc/;13256577;/fileinfo.html

Enjoy.

Warning- is 7 pages.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2009, 02:36 by clockworkjames »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #896 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:15 »

Holy shit, man.  This is about 6.5 pages more than I expected it to be.  Thanks a lot for the tips, I'm gonna skim it tonight, but I'll print it out and read it properly tomorrow on the train.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #897 on: 10 Feb 2009, 11:53 »

So my guild is now running 25 man Naxx on a regular basis, plus 10 Man Naxx, all the random ten and 25's, and starting to eye Maly. The guild master and I being the MT's for the guild are in basically every raid and its starting to really get fun. If you armory/be.imba me right now you will see my shitty dps gear, but my tanking set be.imba score is 448, should give you an idea.

Anyways, just wondering how you guys are doing and which bosses you are having the most fun on. I personally have only been 80 for a month but I am loving Sartharion +1/2D on ten man, Heigan the Unclean any time, and patchwerk for simplicity. I don't really like the boring fights (loatheb, Anub'Rhekan, Gluth) but I find Thaddius to straight up be a bitch. I never have problems but our dps wipes us every time /sigh.

One of these days I will finally kill KT and be able to do Maly (which i am far more than geared for). Until them, Thaddius is whats going on, lol.

justlikeaphoto

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #898 on: 10 Feb 2009, 13:11 »

The best fight ever is Heigan the Unclean, it is so fun words can't describe.  I do have a lot of love for the simple fights like Patchwerk and Anub'Rhekan but I like some of the more complex encounters too (such as the Four Horsemen and Thaddius).

And speaking of Thaddius, where are you tanking him at and how are you moving during the charge changes?

Also, I just thought I'd note, Malygos is by far a more difficult encounter then Sapp and KT.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #899 on: 10 Feb 2009, 15:25 »

Only one thing that sorta bugs me about those suggestions: "You should always be the group leader, if the healer or dps in your group doesn't understand that then you don't want them in your group, they are not astute enough to play the game and they don't know the rules." I mean, yes, as a tank you should absolutely know how the pull will go, so being assertive if you don't think everyone on the same page IS necessary. But at the end of the day, there's worse things in the world than letting the main assist/CCer set up the marks, particularly if they know the instance better than you do. You're the tank and you should definitely know how to do the marks in any given instance, but as long as it's getting done it's not really worth getting into a pissing match about it.

James covered an awful lot, so really I only have couple generic suggestions that are mostly 5 man related; bosses and raids are less likely to be tank 'n' spank affairs and thus follow their own rules.

1.  Always have an ideal tanking spot in mind, because in 5 man content adds are far more likely to get you killed than being sloppy with your abilities or making a goofy gear choice or two. One of the reasons James' and other tanks do things like "shoot a mob, walk backwards and then charge" is because it helps to keep the fight right in front of them and because they already have a "safe" spot in mind in order to avoid patrols. The more players and hostile mobs you have spread out over a large area, the easier it is to accidentally pull yet another mob into the fight, and getting adds is the quickest way to cause a wipe in all of WoW. Meanwhile having everything in a relatively small area* away from other mobs is a good idea because the melee gets to spend more time swinging and less time switching targets, the casters don't have to worry about casting range and fleeing mobs have to run farther before they can cause any mischief. And of course, you have an easier time keeping track of where everyone is in the room. Everybody wins.

2. Learn how/when to line-of-sight pull, since it helps you with my previous suggestion. Ranged mobs are often a pain in the ass because they like to just stand there in the middle of the room, threatening to attract other wandering mobs. In this case you may want to draw aggro and then turn a corner or run behind a pillar so that the mobs need to approach you before resuming their attacks. It's often unnecessary, but it's a good trick to keep in mind.

*You don't really want to pull mobs inside of melee range of the healers/ranged dps; that's a bit overkill particularly since many mobs have cleaves or AoE abilities like whirlwind. Just another good reason why it always pays to know what kind of mob abilities you have to put up with BEFORE you enter an instance.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2009, 15:35 by Alex C »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53   Go Up