THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651212 times)

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #900 on: 10 Feb 2009, 17:08 »

Damn, I cannot believe I forgot corner pulls :/ and I wrote that a few hours after doing HoS HC  :oops:

Another thing I left out was enchants, shoulda covered that as there are not many you need before lv 80.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #901 on: 10 Feb 2009, 19:10 »

I am currently going through this doc you wrote up.  It's all making sense to me, so I guess that is a good start!  I am going through and reformatting and editing bits as I go because I am a god-damned pedant (and because it helps me absorb the info better).  Once I have finished I'm gonna upload it someplace and PM the link to you if you're interested, James.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #902 on: 10 Feb 2009, 20:05 »

Damn, I cannot believe I forgot corner pulls :/ and I wrote that a few hours after doing HoS HC  :oops:

Heh, it's so easy to leave things out. I couldn't teach a rogue to dps if my life depended on it; back when I was raiding I'm pretty sure my brainstem ranked "refresh slice and dice" slightly ahead of "continue to breathe" on the vital priorities queue. After a while you just don't think about things anymore.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #903 on: 11 Feb 2009, 14:02 »

Hah, i was the same way back when shield-block was part of your gear, not a sub-par oh shit button.

clockworkjames

« Reply #904 on: 13 Feb 2009, 00:14 »

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #905 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:29 »

Yeah, it's been on mmo-champion for a few days now.  The one-time cost will be a useful goldsink, and it'll pay for itself within a month for most folks.  I respec twice a week at 50g a pop for arenas, so that's 100g a week.  If I was swapping between Holy and Protection, you'd also factor in cost of replacing glyphs (which would quickly become very expensive.)  Also time spent re-arranging actionbars, though this is less of a problem than you'd think with UI mods.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #906 on: 14 Feb 2009, 09:13 »

Screw you Fozruk, why don't you show up where questhelper says you'll be?
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #907 on: 14 Feb 2009, 13:32 »

He's a roving mob. QuestHelper is useless with most giants since they have an extremely wide wandering radius. You're better off checking WoWhead for his path.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #908 on: 14 Feb 2009, 13:39 »

Yeah, I would imagine that questhelper cannot do any better than providing a spawn point in such a case.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #909 on: 14 Feb 2009, 13:47 »

I'm not sure if it's questhelper or some other mod doing it, but when I keep my mouse pointer over the icon shown on the map created by questhelper it will show and area where the mob(s) have been killed. That way you can see wanderingpaths as well.
But I use arkiveUI so might just be some other addon.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #910 on: 14 Feb 2009, 14:13 »

I wouldn't really know; I don't use Quest Helper. But, really, about all the mods you're talking about really could do is archive information from contributors or sites like wowhead. Personally, I'd rather they just stick to confirmed spawn points since "killed here" locations are often skewed by kiting and the like. YMMV depending on the mob involved and the sample sizes used, I suppose.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #911 on: 14 Feb 2009, 14:32 »

I know his wander path, its just that when I go along that path, I cannot find him. I am wondering if either he stops wandering at one point and stands around, or he despawns when he gets to the end. I can't even find his corpse, so I'm certain that it isn't someone else killing him before I get there.

Fuck you, wandering mobs.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #912 on: 14 Feb 2009, 18:35 »

Guys we should start up the QC guild again. No one's been on in 3 months (including me). Or maybe we can start fresh on a new server?

clockworkjames

« Reply #913 on: 15 Feb 2009, 05:38 »

Man this game has some real dickheads who overreact at the drop of a hat and are very rude :/

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #914 on: 15 Feb 2009, 13:19 »

I think WoW has a pretty decent mean-to-friendly ratio, but its popularity works against it. There's always enough people logged in at any one given time that there's bound to be somebody out there threatening to shit up trade chat. In the last 3 months I've been playing there's really only been one guy I'd call a shithead.

clockworkjames

« Reply #915 on: 15 Feb 2009, 18:36 »

Loads of awesome people, a bunch of idiots who try hard so you gotta be nice to them, then there is a handful of shitheads who should be k lined.

TheViscount

« Reply #916 on: 15 Feb 2009, 23:02 »

I USED to play on Stormreaver pre-bc, then Dalvengyr and then Illidan. Horde. Always end-game. Anyone else?

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #917 on: 17 Feb 2009, 00:02 »

Man this game has some real dickheads who overreact at the drop of a hat and are very rude :/

We've been weeding a handful of those out of our guild in the past couple of weeks.  I'm not quite sure how they got in.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #918 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:08 »

I got exalted with all five Alliance races recently, ending my Alliance rep grinding.  The hardest to get was the Gnomeregan Exiles, so to commemorate that I've grabbed a robot chicken to ride about on.  It's pretty tops.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #919 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:22 »

My paladin finally turned 80 yesterday (CET time). Horay for him!
Now is the question what gear and where it is. Turns out he's going protection again (guild need).
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

clockworkjames

« Reply #920 on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:23 »

My paladin finally turned 80 yesterday (CET time). Horay for him!
Now is the question what gear and where it is. Turns out he's going protection again (guild need).
Run HC's pug, shield from CoS, Pants from VH, Sword from UP, rep gloves from Kirin'Tor trink from normal HoL, ring from that place with the huuuuuuge dinosaur, belt from Azjol-Nerub, crafted boots and helm... some other junk and you're done.

If in doubt, tempered saronite crsfted stuff gets you def capped for not alot of gold.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #921 on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:41 »

saronite crs[a]fted
Ty for that. Shortens my search a little. Will most likely have most of that stuff made.
-Isaac Asimov

clockworkjames

« Reply #922 on: 17 Feb 2009, 08:08 »

trink from normal HoL

important one, also http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36984 until you can do HC UP easily (the Gauntlet can be a bitch)
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2009, 08:11 by clockworkjames »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #923 on: 17 Feb 2009, 14:58 »

So so, I just thought I'd report that I am enjoying the Prot respec so far.  With a couple of cheap AH purchases plus a relatively expensive Crystalblade of the Draenei I rejigged my gear enough to give me another ~2k hp, so that coupled with the higher armour level leaves me feeling far less fragile.  My DPS has taken a hit, but not as big a hit as I expected it to.  I have a feeling I am still straddling between Fury and Prot gear at the moment, and to be honest I am a-ok with that because I still need decent DPS while soloing.

I am still learning the flow of battle using the new skillset, but the overall feel is good.  I'll generally throw something at one mob, then charge past a second mob toward a third if possible.  Once they're all in range I'll Thunder Clap, Cleave, then by that point Revenge will maybe pop, so I'll hit that and play it by ear.  Devastate a few times if the target isn't too squishy, Heroic Strike to dump Rage, Shield Bash to stun casters, Shield Slam if Sword and Board procs (or if I have Rage to burn) and Concussion Blow when I feel like smacking the crap out of people.  If I have enough Rage at the start of the fight I'll usually also Shockwave.  It feels like I have a bigger bag of tricks than when I was playing Fury, and I haven't even started getting to the point where I need to hit Last Stand yet.

I grouped with a Mage last night.  He seemed kind of quiet and unsure of things, I got the impression that he was a young dude.  I learned a little more from grouping with him, though.  I was very quick to map Taunt to an easily-accessible hotkey, because he seemed to like mana burning.  He would go OOM a lot, which shows me he was maybe trying a bit too hard.  I have a feeling this was due to a lack of communication, because as I said, he was pretty quiet and I didn't really talk to him all that much either because we were just questing.  In hindsight I probably should have told him that 3 mobs wasn't a big deal and that he didn't need to do quite so much as he thought.  He could probably have stood back and cast Blizzard or some kind of AE fire spell and we'd have done fine.  A couple of times he did some kind of knockback AE that would piss me off, as I would invariably be about to Thunder Clap at that same moment.  Point is though, I think I am going to try to group a bit more even while questing, because that short time with a squishy party member to keep mobs off of taught me a bit more about managing aggro and good ways to keep mobs focused on myself rather than my team-mate.  Will need to feel pretty confident with that sort of thing before I venture into instances.

clockworkjames

« Reply #924 on: 17 Feb 2009, 17:30 »

Will need to feel pretty confident with that sort of thing before I venture into instances.

Start now, seriously you need to tank asap. No point in starting at 80 so the sooner the better, I was tanking all outlands instances arms fury so there is no reason for a full prot warrior not to be able to do it regardless of skill or experience, it is honestly the only way you will get better as solo play is nothing like 5man or raid. Other than that try not to shockwave at the start of a fight, even if you have rage to burn because you will get rage starved from a TC/Cleave/Dev before they stop being stunned. You need to be getting hit to get rage, bottom line.

Rage is fucked anyway, http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=14990466279&pageNo=1&sid=1#19

Good discussion on what it is from some person off tankspot. I have sick evasion with my new shield (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellscream&n=Melville hero's surrender, logged with it on) but this means until you get rage from dodges I am gonna be rage starved as you only get rage as
Currently, the formula for rage intake is R = 2.5D/C, where C is 320.6 at level 80. That gives us 4 rage for a 500 point hit, 8 rage for a 1k hit, 47 rage for a 6k hit, and 156 rage for a 20k hit. This is where the main problem is. You're either on fumes or you're always full.
which sucks for offtanks, 5mans and even fights where the MT only gets hit once every few seconds. It is not scalable for 5mans since you take tiny hits in comparison so you never really get over 50 rage and it sucks balls. 24 rage for a 3k hit? That's enough for 1 HS+devastate. Not enough when you only have 1 healer and most of the time you are getting hit for 300-400 dmg.

I pulled 1900dps on patchwerk 4 hours ago, when I trinked for his 5% enrage I got rage starved, like fully rage starved because he could not hit me at all. If it was not for vigilance on the bear next to me, I would not have so much of a threat header and it could have caused some major issues, maybe not a wipe but certainly some deaths and panic.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #925 on: 17 Feb 2009, 20:27 »

So, I jumped ship from the guild we merged with. I don't know whether I posted the story here or not, but basically, they downed NAXX10 due to the help from our members for the first time, so they decide that they would do OS with three drakes up. Uh... wtf?! You just don't do that. Seriously, half the 10man group hadn't even been OS before. When we mentioned it, we were apparently discouraging the guild and whatever. On top of that I only got a chance to go Military Quarter + Sap + KT because they were dps heavy and rotated everyone out each raid night.

So I jumped ship and am now in a super awesome guild who have NAXX25 on farm.

New raid week this week and we are hitting up Maly (for the third night in the row, that last phase on the drakes got us every time. We had him down to 6% on one try) and then wiping NAXX again.

So I've pretty much done the entire NAXX25 before I got to finish NAXX10. It makes a huge difference when a guild actually knows what they are doing.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #926 on: 17 Feb 2009, 21:38 »

I'm not really surprised you jumped ship. I mean, it was a guild in which you said a couple of people were like "Zomg, you has table!" after a wipe. Reagents are kind of a pain in the butt, and I hate how they take up inventory space, but honestly. Were the other mages they bumped into dumb or just that cheap? If they were that cheap, I'd shudder to think of how they'd react to having to get geared up for an old-school resistance fight like Rag or Mother.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #927 on: 17 Feb 2009, 22:46 »

Don't forget to pick up Essence of Gossamer from H-AN off Hadronox.  The proc isn't very useful for raiding, but it's really tough to beat +111 STA on a trinket slot.

clockworkjames

« Reply #928 on: 18 Feb 2009, 00:57 »

3 drakes is harder on 10 man than 25 man because of the number of tanks needed and .'. the lack of DPS meaning the drakes stay up longer and you normally don't want to have more than 1 alive at a time for the debuff.

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #929 on: 18 Feb 2009, 23:32 »

Bloodlust and Divine Guardian are damned near required for OS10+3, along with excellent gear; most everyone should be rocking ilvl 213 and ilvl 226 gear if at all possible, and you basically have to have a DK tanking Sartharion; people sporting Of the Nightfall are not people to be taken lightly ;)  On the other hand, OS10+1 is pretty simple, and OS10+2 isn't too hard (though having Divine Guardian and Bloodlust helps a ton.)

I love listening to people try and tell me that ganking, griefing, and camping isn't PvP because it doesn't conform to their ideas of "fair, honorable combat."  I just call them a scrub, refer them to Sirlin, and chuckle  :laugh:

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #930 on: 18 Feb 2009, 23:59 »

Ganking (lowbies) is bullying. Combat is by deffenition not fair on the other hand. (Youd be stubid to leave half of your tricks at home just becaus it's going to be "fair".)
-Isaac Asimov

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #931 on: 19 Feb 2009, 14:08 »

Man, what the fuck.  Ganking, griefing and camping can be classed as "PvP", sure.  It's still a fucking dick thing to do.  You can called someone a scrub and chuckle as much as you want, you're still being a fucking cunt.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #932 on: 19 Feb 2009, 15:43 »

First rule of freedom: You can do what you want, but everyone else is still free to dislike you for it.

clockworkjames

« Reply #933 on: 19 Feb 2009, 18:16 »

So arena tournament eh?

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #934 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:03 »

Man, what the fuck.  Ganking, griefing and camping can be classed as "PvP", sure.  It's still a fucking dick thing to do.  You can called someone a scrub and chuckle as much as you want, you're still being a fucking cunt.

Your opinion, not mine.  If they can't handle it, they can transfer to a PvE server.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #935 on: 20 Feb 2009, 06:11 »

If they don't like people acting like a fucking jerk to them they can go somewhere else?  People like you are what's wrong with multiplayer gaming.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #936 on: 20 Feb 2009, 13:51 »

So, I got mocked today by an 80 DK for having a rogue as my main, despite the fact that the guy was a DPS Blood spec and couldn't push over 1k dps.

To put that into perspective, I was pushing around 1k dps at level 75 in quest greens despite being specd like this for leveling.

I mean, I'm not an elitist by any means; I'm an outright casual these days. But if you can't push 1k dps at level 80 while specd for raw DPS, you should do us all a favor and throw your computer out the window right now.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2009, 13:53 by Alex C »

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #937 on: 20 Feb 2009, 16:26 »

More like World of BOREcraft.
Hate, rain on me

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #938 on: 24 Feb 2009, 11:48 »

Undocumented 3.1 mount details.

...aquatic mount? Interesting...
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #939 on: 24 Feb 2009, 11:58 »

"Mimiron's Head - Summons and dismisses a rideable mechanical gnome head."

...what?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

clockworkjames

« Reply #940 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:18 »

"Mimiron's Head - Summons and dismisses a rideable mechanical gnome head."

...what?
Wat?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #941 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:53 »

Apparently it flies.

I'm as confused as anyone, really.

clockworkjames

« Reply #942 on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:29 »

At 310% speed so I am guessing a rare as shit drop tbh.

Most epic flight mounts are 280% but the merciless arena drakes and shit do 310% as does the pheonix one from that thing blah blahbjl;ajdknaxxtonitewasgash.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #943 on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:51 »

I think that someone in the comments for that page hit on the most possible scenario. Mimiron is probably gonna be a mechanical boss from Ulduar.  Alternatively, his name appears as the creator of the Voltron weapons platform robot, so maybe it's actually the head of that thing?  Not sure that the Flame Leviathan is gonna ne a gnomish head, though.  Would make more sense for Mimiron to be a giant gnomish robot (son of, or built in the image of Mimir, perhaps?)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #944 on: 25 Feb 2009, 22:08 »

TheViscount

« Reply #945 on: 25 Feb 2009, 22:27 »

"We are also looking at granting rage when the warrior blocks, dodges or parries."

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

You know when that would have been good?

Pre-bc Naxx. Ffs.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #946 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:59 »

We mighty bears already get that. Old news.
JON MADE ME GAY

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #947 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:25 »

I hit 68 last week then went over to Northrend to do quests.  As a result I am now 70 and kitted out in close to full WotLK starter greens better than most other stuff I could find on the AH, giving me about 11k hp, close to 13% dodge, almost 10% parry and almost 9% block, plus 11.9k AC - enough that 53% of damage is mitigated.  However, I've been taking a look around at other prot Warriors my level and found that I still have a way to go.  A level 71 Warrior I saw had 15k hp, 24% dodge, 16% parry, 17% block and about 17k AC giving him 60% mitigation.  I'll be checking out some gear upgrade recommendations today & making plans for questing/dungeon runs.

Despite not stacking up against other Warriors my level I find I am able to solo really well and the only time I miss my Fury spec is when I see a Rogue or dual-wielding Warrior ripping shit up near me.  When this happens I usually go pull a handful of mobs onto myself, then I feel better.  One thing I am noticing though is that at some point in the future I will probably respec to remove the point I put into Heroic Strike.  I am basically swimming in Rage at the moment, as well as only really using HS after Revenge when it's free unless I am dumping excess.  In addition, the 1 rage that point saves me is hardly worth it compared to say, 1% more parry, 1% more crit, or 1% more block plus 20% more chance to generate 2 rage on a block.

I've now come back to Outland to continue/finish off my questing, and I only just last night realised that I could train/buy a flying mount now if I had the money to do so, so I guess it's time to grind out some gold.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #948 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:37 »

Yeah, I like Northrend much better than I ever cared for Outland. I think having two different potential starting points helped a lot, as it saved on a lot of the major pain in the ass caused by everyone grinding in Hellfire Peninsula at once giving absolutely zero opportunity to actually kill any spawns you needed. That aside, the gear is so easy to come by early on. I'm still using the staff I picked up at level 73 because it's really one of the better feral Druid staves you can get short of instances. Northrend is also a skinner's dream. So much crap to pick up.
JON MADE ME GAY

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #949 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:41 »

I need to figure out what the most lucrative easy skinning stuff is, go grind that for a bit and dump it on the AH.  At the moment mining isn't paying off as much as it used to because I think that the shine of chasing after nodes has worn off.  With skinning it's easier because hey, I am already murdering things, why not skin them also while I am here?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 53   Go Up