THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 03:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651086 times)

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #1150 on: 05 May 2009, 19:08 »

Yeah, I've started a belf priest on Saurfang - only level 12 now and shit it's hard to level. It was never this hard when I leveled my mage. At least it doesn't take as LONG to level, but still, I hate being killed by one mob, going back to get my body and not having enough mana for when it attacks me while trying to escape. It sucks and is painful

I've been doing the children's week acheivements on my mage - only the pvp one to go. My second spec is for pvp, which means nothing really because I have no idea what I'm doing in pvp, so I see how well I do at trying to get that last achievement for the title.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1151 on: 05 May 2009, 19:13 »

You guys should have tried levelling a priest back in 2005.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1152 on: 05 May 2009, 19:21 »

The key to leveling a priest at low levels: Get your hands on a wand as soon as possible!

Typical early rotation I would use: PWS, pull with a smite, SWP, mind blast, maybe another smite and then wand the bitch to death. It gives you a head start on some mana regen while doing some pretty decent damage.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1153 on: 05 May 2009, 19:48 »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing - my wands, daggers and maces are maxed out for my current level, which is cool. It's fun though, this is my first horde toon so there is all this stuff I haven't done/seen before, which is awesome.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1154 on: 05 May 2009, 20:23 »

I think I'm going to cancel my account again. I've been getting bored with it again. Sorry Tyler.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1155 on: 06 May 2009, 01:30 »

Honestly, I've never liked playing a priest until at least the mid teens when you can finally have Mind Blast, Psychic Scream and Spirit Tap. For whatever reason Blizzard was just really stingy when it came to handing out low level versions of some of the best priest soloing tools. It always hit me as kind of silly, particularly compared to warlocks,* who can end up with a pet, 2 dots, Curse of Weakness and a nuke by level 4, all of which have rather obvious solo applications. By level 10 Locks get two pets to choose from along with good ol' Fear and Lifetap to play around with as well as a third dot. Meanwhile Priests are adding Fade, Resurrection and (thank God) their first rank of Mind Blast. Nothing wrong with those spells, mind you, it's just that only the last one is really useful at level 10, which is something that hits me as a rather needlessly discouraging.

*That is meant in no way as a dig at warlocks. Low level locks are fun and powerful; if anything they should be seen as a shining example.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2009, 01:42 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1156 on: 06 May 2009, 04:52 »

Spirit tap doesn't help that at all?
At level 72 I'm having no mana trouble at all due to spirit tap. Going for meditation now that I filled out shadow but mostly for lazyness.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1157 on: 06 May 2009, 05:16 »

Oh, I thought you rerolled 'lock. :-D
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1158 on: 06 May 2009, 07:28 »

So Ravencrest seems to be the realm of choice for peeps in here eh! Kinda sucks to be me then. My bro in Ontario got me into WoW long before I ever noticed this thread. As a result I've made my toons on Echo Iles. My mage I named Penpen (inspired by Penelope) is at last check level 33. I also got a Gnome Warrior on Borean Tundra. Grind On. Perhaps i'll look into making a horde toon to grind on Ravencrest in the future.
*was getting tired of that slug*

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1159 on: 06 May 2009, 09:05 »

Well, I haven't really played on Ravencrest much, tbh. IRL keeps rearing its head.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #1160 on: 06 May 2009, 10:23 »

I've been spending time primarily on my Ravencrest Shaman lately. That's been cut into this week, though, since I've been working on CHildren's Week and the Argent Tournament on my Llane Druid.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1161 on: 06 May 2009, 18:36 »

Finally got 'Matron Ayniah'. I tried pvp, and I just get so annoyed with it so fast so I gave up. The boy was trying to help me but he was only getting frustrated about me not knowing what I was doing. I gave up and went back to watching House. He logged on and then spent another hour getting the remaining three pvp things so I could get my Children's Week thing complete. Finally, all done, YAY.

I've got 'Matron', 'Jenkins' and 'Champion of the Frozen Wastes' now. Going to spend some time getting the boy his 'Champion of the Frozen Wastes', because for some reason, he hasn't got it yet. I actually really like the achievement system, it gives me something else to work on when I get bored of the constant grind for gold.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1162 on: 06 May 2009, 19:07 »

I absolutely hate the Oprhan PvP achievements. No offense to you, Jamie, but you kind of exhibit why. It basically broke PvP for the week because you had tons of people coming into PvP and just going for the achievements while ignoring the actual point.
JON MADE ME GAY

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #1163 on: 06 May 2009, 21:24 »

/ding

Just hit 31 on my Orc Shaman, only 9 lvls to go before I can duel wield like a badass
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1164 on: 06 May 2009, 23:43 »

The though thing with hiting 40 witha shammy is getting the right weapons. Your going to do ZF quite alot. (Good mace from the cave boss, and really good axe from the last boss.)
My shaman hit 44 just a few days ago so just did that grinding.

But right now I'm trying to decide what class to level frist. I want to try a no multi purpos class (or really just a class not being able to heal). But can't decied between mage, rogue or warrior. I want to differ as much as possible from my other classes, Priest, Druid (boomkin, leveled to 68 as feral) and paladin. Also got an enhancement shaman att 44, but wasn't very fun to play it turns out. I guess warlock is an option but never really liked them.
-Isaac Asimov

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1165 on: 07 May 2009, 01:54 »

See, I didn't just go in there do the achievement and get the hell out - I actually made some effort in terms of attacking the other team (horde) and trying to build up some honor etc. I did make a decent effort at it, I just got so easily frustrated because I am just not very good at it. I would kind of like to be better, but it's just a complete adjustment from PvE stuff.

And yes Jeans - I play the game for fun, the achievements make it more fun for me. I don't see the point about getting super serious about killing some of the opposing faction.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1166 on: 07 May 2009, 06:44 »

If by PvP you mean Warsong Gultch then I can relate. Went there and didn't have a clue what to do. My daugher (plays lvl35 blood elf) suggested i msg the team and stay to gaurd our flag. Simple right? Nope other team comes in with 4 ppl. At least the rez comes fast there. An I managed to get in 1 hounerable kill on the way back from graveyard. YAY FUN !!
*was getting tired of that slug*

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1167 on: 07 May 2009, 10:27 »

Depends what your class is. Always a good idea to have a tanking class guarding the flag, but you should never leave them alone. I like to see a tank and a healer hanging out in there. Gives enough time to call in reserves, should you get mobbed.

This seems like it should be common sense, but I've seen my fair share of clothies trying to guard the flag on their own get absolutely destroyed. As I've said before, I think a BM hunter or a feral Druid is best for guarding it. Either one has track humanoid, which is great for getting advanced warning when a bunch of them are after you.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1168 on: 07 May 2009, 12:42 »

I absolutely hate the Oprhan PvP achievements. No offense to you, Jamie, but you kind of exhibit why. It basically broke PvP for the week because you had tons of people coming into PvP and just going for the achievements while ignoring the actual point.

If they were having fun, I'd say they got it right...

Well, the thing is, it's like you have weekly paintball matches with your friends, right? And one day, about half of your teammates are swapped out for new guys who just came because they wanted to fingerpaint, and so at random intervals that is just what they do. They're still having fun, but it's still kind of a bummer if you came to actually try to win anything.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1169 on: 07 May 2009, 13:00 »

See, I would hold that management should have thought things out a bit better when making a mixed venue. It's like with achievements in TF2. I totally understand why everyone was simultaneously playing the scout. I just sort of wish Valve had handled the incentives differently.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1170 on: 07 May 2009, 13:11 »

All I'm saying is that you can't expect everyone to be happy about it. I don't see anyone boycotting the game over it, but I do think there's definite reasons why it's getting mixed reviews. The hardcore guys have just as much right to what they enjoy as anyone else.

I don't even do bgs or have done any of the orphan events, so it doesn't really matter to me. I just think Jon's complaint has some legitimacy even if I can understand the other side of the argument.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2009, 13:15 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #1171 on: 07 May 2009, 14:19 »

Pretty sure most of the achievements had alot to do with what you need to do to win the BG.

Thoughts on Ulduar anyone? I like it alot.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1172 on: 07 May 2009, 14:48 »

Haven't gotten to do it. My guild is mid-power struggle atm and I may have to stage a minor coup.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1173 on: 07 May 2009, 15:12 »

This seems like it should be common sense, but I've seen my fair share of clothies trying to guard the flag on their own get absolutely destroyed. As I've said before, I think a BM hunter or a feral Druid is best for guarding it. Either one has track humanoid, which is great for getting advanced warning when a bunch of them are after you.

When I was feral, I'd always guard the flag because very few people remembered to do this! I think the most fun I had with it was me, an elemental shaman, and a hunter. Traps and totems all around the flag, the hunter positioned above, the shaman hiding in a corner and me stealthed right on top of the flag. Everyone who ran in on their own was killed and groups made really good fights. Actually, I think that was the only time I remember winning WSG...

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1174 on: 07 May 2009, 15:25 »

Pretty sure most of the achievements had alot to do with what you need to do to win the BG.

This is true, essentially, but it leads to a problem of "too many generals." When you've got half of your group in WSG or Eye of the Storm all gunning for the same flag, people stop thinking about the team and start employing an every man for themself mentality. As a RAIDer, imagine if one of the Achievements were "personally deliver a killing blow on Yogg Saron." Imagine how absolutely bad that would fuck the pecking order of a RAID group and put that mentality in the shoes of a PVP fan. Eye of the Storm is no fun when everyone there is camping the flag instead of guarding towers or trying to get the flag for themselves.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1175 on: 07 May 2009, 15:38 »

Yeah, unless you're a disc priest you really don't have much business trying to play ironman. Even then they're pretty dependent on cooldowns to really play the endurance game.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1176 on: 07 May 2009, 16:13 »

For the record, I don't think PvP should be without its holiday achievements, I just think we'd be better served with stuff along the lines of "win such and such battleground with your Orphan out."
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1177 on: 09 May 2009, 18:45 »

One of my guildies took their alt on a Naxx 25 pug last night that had no less than 7 DKs in it-- he would have quit immediately but we insisted he stay in it and give us a play by play over vent. Guess how well that turned out!

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1178 on: 09 May 2009, 23:59 »

dangit leatherworking sucks I havent had more than 20g since before I bought mount training

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1179 on: 10 May 2009, 00:29 »

Professions aren't for making money.

Well, except maybe enchanting, and even then it's never the enchanting itself that makes you money, just the disenchanting process.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1180 on: 10 May 2009, 00:48 »

Well how do you make money, seems like every item I pick up is soulbound or shit greens

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1181 on: 10 May 2009, 00:58 »

Quest.

Either that or take up enchanting and DE everything and sell the mats you get.

Either that or figure out the economy on your particular server and get really acquainted with the AH.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1182 on: 10 May 2009, 01:07 »

Mining never hurt anyone's pocketbook either, particularly on established servers where longtime players don't hesistate for a second when it comes to paying 8 gold a citrine just to power level jewelcrafting on their 7th alt.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1183 on: 10 May 2009, 01:47 »

Dont want to take the time to master the AH, and at lvl 33 the 25-50 silver a quest isn't enough.

Is it worth it to dump my lvl 160 leatherworking for mining or enchanting?  And just power lvl skinning once I have a million skins at a later date?

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1184 on: 10 May 2009, 03:05 »

Look through your AH and find something that's way overpriced for its level and rarity, and then farm it. Looking to see prices over multiple days is they key here, and Auctioneer will help a lot.

Case in point, on Jubei I regularly farm Wool Cloth. I can get 4-6 stacks per hour grinding mobs in the Barrens, and they sell for 10-20g a stack (Horde AH).

If you roll on a PvE server it may be possible to take advantage of price differences between Horde And Alliance AHs if you have toons on both sides. Put your stuff you want to Xfer up on a neutral AH (there's one in Gadgetzan) for a ridiculously low price, log on to the other side, and purchase it. You might need 2 accounts for that, I'm not sure....
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

clockworkjames

« Reply #1185 on: 10 May 2009, 05:22 »

One of my guildies took their alt on a Naxx 25 pug last night that had no less than 7 DKs in it-- he would have quit immediately but we insisted he stay in it and give us a play by play over vent. Guess how well that turned out!
Naxx 25 is well and truly on farm, half the raid is alts but it's okay because the mains can pick up the slack pretty easily. It's when they bring alts to 10 mans when people are trying for the achievement or to get one piece of gear that it fucks everyone off not being able to get past the first boss in the arachnid quarter because the healers are in blues and greens with 1ksp.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1186 on: 10 May 2009, 07:51 »

If you want to make money and not actually make items, gathering professions are going to be the best bet. Skinning, herbalism, and mining are all useful and have materials that are used in all the creation professions. Also, you can make money by selling DE mats, like shards, etc. which are always overpriced and people will always buy since they aren't easy to come by. But I like having a gathering profession and then one other profession that I find useful. My druid is an herb/alch and I sell more herbs than anything else, other than the rarer flasks and transmutes. My hunter is a miner/engineer and engineering is the most selfish profession ever (you can't sell much of what you make, because a lot of stuff requires engineering to use), but I sell a lot of ore on the AH. And I power leveled skinning in a few hours on my DK and got a ton of money on the leather. Really if you find out what sells really well with your profession and sell that, then you'll do well. Also spamming LFW in trade sometimes works. (I only ever do that with transmute cooldowns anymore.)

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1187 on: 10 May 2009, 08:51 »

Well I refuse to pump the time necessary for any of your suggestions thegreatbuddha.  I have one lvl 33 character and am not going to roll anther any time soon.

That being said, I have 3 friends who play, one already has a get rich quick scheme involving DEing items, so I think Ill go mine.

As far as alt professions go, skinning is pretty integral to my build as I am an enhance shammy, the boost to my crit it gives me is important, especially with so little gear choices.  But thanks for the input, you have been most helpful, gracias.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1188 on: 10 May 2009, 08:56 »

Yeah, Linds is right. Production professions are not the way to make money at a lower level. Once you hit the top levels, you can make tons. I make about 110 gold for a leather bag that takes maybe fifteen minutes to farm the mats for, but I was always broke in the lower levels.

If you want to make money, pair up a couple gathering professions. Scan the auction house and see which mats are most expensive. I'd recommend skinning and herbalism, as they rarely involve going out of your way.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1189 on: 10 May 2009, 10:58 »

Naxx 25 is well and truly on farm, half the raid is alts but it's okay because the mains can pick up the slack pretty easily. It's when they bring alts to 10 mans when people are trying for the achievement or to get one piece of gear that it fucks everyone off not being able to get past the first boss in the arachnid quarter because the healers are in blues and greens with 1ksp.

Keep in mind that my server (Grizzly Hills) is kind of a unique case since it is exactly as old as WotLK and it was created as a true "fresh" server rather than a migration server, so nobody could transfer over until halfway through February, so there's a high portion of newbs and rejects looking for a fresh start. The top guild on the server (all vets who rerolled together) had a bunch of internal conflicts and went through about a month and a half period of time where they had no rogues or shamans at all and recently about half of them ended up transferring off the server because there isn't much to recruit from here. So, yeah, anyone with a lick of organization has Naxx 25 on farm here, but that doesn't apply to the general population. Plus, according to Wow census, about 38% of the player base is either a DK or hunter.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 16:36 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #1190 on: 10 May 2009, 16:34 »

Because hunters are easy as shit to pull good dps... as are DK's (and mages but they are a little more gear reliant) if my raid experience is anything to go by. Yeah you get a few shitters but they are not so much par for the course, DK's and hunters are ezmoed to good dps and level mega fast.

Hunters are good in pretty much any fight, melee DPS isn't always great and casters can be volatile in certain fights so hunters are a safe bet for DPS, you are right about your server I guess, I am just lucky I found a guild that suits me on a fucking ace server with alot of my friends on it.

Professions for me are all about what they give you, mining gives me 50 stam or 500 hp or summit I dunno so that is pretty sweet as a tank, but JC get awesome gems to use and skinners get more crit, BS can put 2 more sockets on their gear than anyone else and can make the belt buckle for anyone.

That is now what I take into account when choosing professions rolling a new char because fuck unlearning something.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 16:36 by clockworkjames »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1191 on: 10 May 2009, 16:39 »

Oh, they're great classes. I've ran with 3 dks and a hunter in 10 man naxx and done just fine plenty of times, and in 25 man it's even easier to fit in a half dozen or so DKs and hunters without any problem. It's just that pugs aren't happening here. At some point somebody needs to be healing and it's kind of hard to get much going in the way of buff synergy when nearly half the people interested in pugging hunters and DKs who refuse to tank. On my server, I can name exactly 3 shamans I have ever raided with, and that's including VoA pugs. :(

Healers are cherished here, like a rare flower.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 16:42 by Alex C »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1192 on: 10 May 2009, 19:41 »

For spending money for my low level toons, I have a nice setup. There's a guy on my server who for some reason is trying to corner the market on colored linen shirts so he can sell them for 2g each. So for 2 stacks of raw linen, I can make 9 shirts, usually 3 red, green and blue, then I put them on AH for 1.5g. He immediately buys them and relists at 2g. After the dye and thread expenses, I'm basically making 6g per stack of plain linen.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1193 on: 10 May 2009, 20:08 »

Someone sold a stack of Large Radiant Shards for 50g, I had 25g at the time, my friend had the rest, and they sell for around 9g on my server, Ive already sold 2 at 9, sell one more and I basically break even, the rest is profit, cha-ching.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1194 on: 10 May 2009, 20:13 »

I think the only low level production profession that made me money was alchemy and purely because of health and mana potions. Higher level ones aren't selling so well, so I don't make them unless I want some for me, but mid range ones made me a lot of gold. Now I think the only ones I routinely put in the AH and expect to sell are agility potions, which I find kind of weird. (Like seriously, agility potions and stacks of cloth are the first things to sell when I put stuff in AH.)

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1195 on: 10 May 2009, 20:24 »

Agility potions aren't surprising. I go through shit tons of them on my Rogue and once I hit seventies/eighties on my Rogue, I'll probably start sending high level ones along to my Druid.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1196 on: 10 May 2009, 20:38 »

I'm a little surprised; I use Flasks of Rage and Potion of Speed pretty much exclusively, with the odd Runic Healing potion thrown in once in a while; usually I get enough of the latter just from pickpocketing during dailies, however.

EDIT: Perhaps it's a survival hunter thing; I just remembered that they can dip into talents to convert Intellect to a straight attack power boost as well as a 15% agility boosting talent. That means for some people I could see a Mighty Thoughts+Mighty Agility elixir combo being a good alternative to flasking, whereas the Flask of Endless Rage is the top rogue buff pretty much by default due to a lack of interesting guardian elixirs.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 20:58 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #1197 on: 11 May 2009, 15:27 »

TBH once you have an 80, even if you don't do dailies the majority of cash is easy to come by if you put in any effort at all. The rest of your cash will be from levelling alts, when you realise where to spend money levelling you spend so much less and from 50-80 will make a super ass ton of gold just from BoE drops and quests (selling quest rewards too).

Just get a char to 65ish asap spending as little gold as possible, will do you good in the long run.

In other news, the main raiding guilds on my server have been dropping like flies and reforming together under new names, this can only be a good thing for putting Hellscream up there with the big boy servers, maybe it will become the alli answer to maggy :D

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1198 on: 11 May 2009, 19:17 »

No I meant weird as in how much less health/mana pots I was selling compared to agility.

Also, I was bored so I played quite a bit today. I may or may not stop playing, who knows. But I have to say the quest chain towards the end of questing in Dragonblight was pretty cool. (There's the video of a battle and then a bunch of people @ Fordragon Hold dying and then you end up raiding Undercity with the king of Stormwind.) I am so happy that they are involving so much more of the lore into game play. It makes it more interesting and I hope that isn't the last quest chain in the game that is like that. (The whole starting area for DKs is similar, but I haven't seen many more.)

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1199 on: 11 May 2009, 19:39 »

Nothing else past it really compares, though there are some pretty cool quest chains in Storm Peaks and Icecrown concerning the Sons of Hodir and a young ghost boy (Whom I won't go into much detail on to save you some spoilers) respectively. The Wrath Gate event is pretty much the biggest quest line event of the game as far as I experienced. Although, from the Horde end, it involves heading to Undercity with Thrall and Sylvannas instead (Culminating in a brief standoff with that bitch little twit Varian).
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 53   Go Up