THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 09:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651312 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #1300 on: 01 Jul 2009, 07:27 »

Yeah, I knew that you'd have to change to a "roughly equivalent" character, as Blizzard put it, I was just pointing out how the Everquest 2 method (in which your character swapped sides, race intact) didn't fit very well with the good ol' Orcs vs. Humans Warcraft universe. You've always been able to get along fine with every race in Everquest, it's just that some race/class/religion combos required you to put a helluva lot more work into it than others. It's not a world without nasty grudges or anything, but compared to Warcraft the wounds aren't quite so fresh; there's still plenty of people alive from the First War, after all.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2009, 07:40 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1301 on: 01 Jul 2009, 09:45 »

And they're now currently at war again. Alliance-Horde hostility is a basic conceit of the setting. They really didn't have a choice when it came to the Burning Legion. There's some spirit of cooperation here and there amongst a few forward thinkers like Thrall and Jaina, but Joe Peasant from Westfall remembers fleeing to Kalimdor by ship as a wee lad and keeps it in the back of his head that the orcs were quite literally demon worshiping marauders less than a generation ago. Besides, WoW isn't really filled with RPers and what little of it I have seen often has been sparked by good ol' fashioned faction rivalry.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2009, 09:57 by Alex C »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1302 on: 01 Jul 2009, 15:28 »

Blizzard doesn't want to give PCs that choice. The bulk of the orc and human population working together isn't something they want going on in the franchise as a whole. I would think this was made pretty clear when they made cross faction communication verboten and set it up so that the only meaningful interaction you can have consists of kek, /spit, and murder. From a game design stand point, the sides exist to antagonize each other. There are characters in the universe who can look beyond all this stuff but apparently Blizzard doesn't want PCs to fall under that category. I'm completely fine with that. Perhaps that feels limiting to those who want to roleplay as an idealist, but it suits those who want to kill the Alliance/Horde scum perfectly. Is it an arbitrary excuse for conflict? Sure, but again, I don't have a problem with that any more than I do with Warhammer's Legions of Chaos being satanically evil just so there's always somebody around spoiling for a fight.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2009, 15:37 by Alex C »

Mynah

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1303 on: 01 Jul 2009, 18:02 »

Blizzard doesn't want to give PCs that choice. The bulk of the orc and human population working together isn't something they want going on in the franchise as a whole.

Well, then maybe they could make it extremely difficult and/or time consuming to change factions or be to able to communicate with the other faction in a nonviolent manner.  Then it wouldn't really be the bulk of the population, it would just be a few people with a whole lot of time on their hands who are very interested in being able to cross that line.  Maybe they could give language a bigger role in the game and allow people to learn the languages of races on the opposing faction, but in order to learn them, you have to do some ridiculously long and complicated quest in order to just be able to speak with one race, or something like that.

I don't know, that doesn't sound like it would ruin the whole story.  Actually, it might make the story more interesting.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1304 on: 01 Jul 2009, 18:33 »

Yes, because we all know WoW players love extremely difficult quest grinds and that a player frustrated with being stuck in a stagnating faction will be just dying to go through all that rather than look into a server transfer.

Anyway, this is silly; I don't genuinely hate the idea of doing it EQ2 style, I just don't think it adds enough into the game to be bothered with. If Blizzard can make some money off this and stick with their established vision of horde-alliance relations this way, than well, more power to them, I guess. Besides, it's bad enough that the poor Horde has to put up with elves too; making them put up with both would be sad.

Mynah

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1305 on: 01 Jul 2009, 19:28 »

That's the point, though.  A really difficult quest grind really isn't all that appealing except to the people who really, really want the reward.  If it was difficult, then only the people who really wanted it would be able to communicate with the opposing faction and/or switch factions for the sake of roleplay, for the sake or realism, or even just for the sake of a challenge.  And if it's just them, then the story doesn't have to suffer from giant human/orc dance parties or what have you.

As far as people who are simply bored with their faction, sure, a simple transfer would probably be fine for them.  But I wasn't really referring to those people.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2009, 19:29 by Mynah »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1306 on: 01 Jul 2009, 19:57 »

And my point is that it should be convenient. Joe Pugger doesn't play WoW because it's hard. That's why I prefer the option that doesn't make waves lore wise, gets people get out of their current funk quickly and makes Blizzard some money. I think the whole thing should be handled in the same vein as server transfers; if nothing else it lets Blizzard have a bit more fine control on who goes where and occasional voluntary free faction transfers could help ease some of the server population imbalances out there.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2009, 20:06 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1307 on: 01 Jul 2009, 21:04 »

I agree with Alex. Faction rivalry is a part of the game and factions are based on race. If you really want to switch factions, you should be willing to switch your race. I really don't see why people would put up much a fuss over being an undead and being Alliance, because everyone knows that in the game, the Alliance hates the undead. (Actually, so does some of the Horde, but whatever.) So yeah. If I decided I really wanted my main to be horde, yes, I would be okay with switching from night elf to tauren, considering I wanted to make a tauren anyways, but noooo my friends were alliance and you can't chat if you're on opposing factions.

And yes, if it's going to be paid for, it should be convenient. You should be able to customize your new character, pick your mount, and everything else should be able to switch smoothly (such as rep, achievements, etc.). I wouldn't want to do an arduous quest chain to do something I've already paid for. You don't do it for name changes or character customization, so why would you for changing factions?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #1308 on: 01 Jul 2009, 21:46 »

One thing, Holy Fuck... people care about Lore in World of Warcraft? I thought it was all about numbers....

*cough* Seriously it IS a very nice breath of fresh air to hear you guys talking about mechanics the light of the lore... I just find it hard when Blizzard so frequently tosses it aside when it's convenient for them... It's as if they develop content then use a Lore Paintbrush like they're dabbing in some color.

It's such a fine line thinking about the game in so many parts: Class balance, Raid composition, PVP balance, Lore. And the biggest problem I have with lore is that I don't even READ the quests. Hell the first thing when you get someone to play most of the time is to tell them to get Carbonite or Quest Helper, so they don't even have to READ the quests. Or when you can post it in General and ask for help and someone tells your the coordinates for where to kill things.

I dunno. I'm just so sick of this game. I wish I could stop playing... But it's WoW... So I can't.

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #1309 on: 02 Jul 2009, 03:23 »

At least I have like, a few months before it is implimented to theorycraft whether I should turn my dwarf into an undead, tauren or troll tank... because fuck orcs.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #1310 on: 02 Jul 2009, 03:36 »

tauren.  cause stam stacking is for the win!
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1311 on: 02 Jul 2009, 15:58 »

My guild could really use a feral druid or another warrior to provide more debuffs and off-tanking muscle but every time we try one out it never ends well. The last guy seemed fairly promising until I had this li'l gem of a conversation:

Me: "You're doing pretty good, but we need you to play a li'l less risky because you're dying too early."

Potential Recruit: "That's not fair."

Me: "What? You'll be doing great if you were a bit more careful around voids. We just want you to take things a bit slower."

Potential Recruit: "Recount says you took way more damage than I did."

The part that he's not getting here is that I'm taking way more damage because I'm not consistently get picked off by the first couple of "Don't Stand There" checks. Even that wasn't really a big deal, but in retrospect I should have seen it as a bit of a warning sign since by the next week he left the guild in a huff when he got passed over for our first team Ulduar 10 group and proved incapable of taking "We can only take 10 people, sorry" for an answer. The dumbest part is that we would have gladly penciled him into our second group, he just got all pissed off before it could happen.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2009, 16:06 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #1312 on: 02 Jul 2009, 16:39 »

Stomping sucks even just for 1 more interrupt, and the tauren stam racial is only base hp +5% which for me would be... not bad but maybe not as great as undead would be for shadow dodge and another berserker rage or trolls would be for berserking and a tiny bit of regen etc.

They might not be stoneform but a bit of theorycrafting for my play style and habits can't hurt.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1313 on: 02 Jul 2009, 19:44 »

We had a rough patch for a while and had to kick out some dead weight over the last week or so, but apparently we're stronger for it. We got to Mimiron for the for the first time on 25 man this week and one shotted him. The fact that the majority of us had done 10 man a time or two helped, obviously, but we're still fairly stoked about it. Hopefully we'll get Yogg down by Sunday.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1314 on: 02 Jul 2009, 21:42 »

I miss my old guild. I join a guild that my friends made and what do they do? They either quit or leave for another guild. And my old guild had been merged with a different one and now I can't remember the name and none of the guildies I was really close to are on anymore and waaaaaaaaah. This was more fun when I had an awesome and active guild. :x

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1315 on: 03 Jul 2009, 12:45 »

Guys I got my priest to 80 last week! Woo! She's my first 80 and it's pretty awesome so far. I've been basically healing heroics non-stop all week, most of them with my new awesome, super-friendly guild. Despite this, I have the shittiest luck with drops most of the time. The only super awesome thing that's dropped for me has been my mace from H Nexus yesterday.

But yeah, woo!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bleeding+Hollow&n=Starsnostars

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1316 on: 03 Jul 2009, 13:33 »

Actually, I'd say it's a touch pessimistic to say you've had bad luck with drops since you're not going to find many upgrades over a lot of that stuff without venturing into Naxx10 or spending a lot more Heroic Emblems; for example, there really isn't a better alternative to that hood short of being an Engi and that's not really something I'd recommend at this point anyway. You also appear to have done a pretty good job of prioritizing your item slots and reputation rewards too, since it looks like your best gear also happens to be in the slots that give the most stats (Chest, Helm, Mainhand-offhand combo). From a pure gear check standpoint, you're perfectly capable of doing 10 man Naxx and I wouldn't even object to taking you on 25 man either, provided you got your enchants all in order and brought consumables, anyway. You're trucking along quite well and I don't really see how you could gear much faster short of being in a guild that considers 25 man Naxx to be alt loot.

[EDIT]

I'm kind of annoyed that the Armory doesn't really properly display one's Armor Penetration rating. My gear becomes a lot more impressive once you mentally factor in the fact that I ignore anywhere from 14-60+% of my opponent's armor depending on whether or not Grim Toll has procced.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2009, 13:54 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #1317 on: 04 Jul 2009, 09:58 »

Which is why I use more than armoury when epeening,

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellscream&n=Melville
http://be.imba.hu/?zone=EU&realm=Hellscream&character=Melville
http://profiler.wowhead.com/?profile=eu.hellscream.melville

As for war mace of unrequited love, ran that instance every day for almost two weeks to get it for my restro shammy buddy, it simply refused to drop.

But yeah, almost 1.7k unbuffed bonus healing? Get to naxx tbh, you are more than ready.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1318 on: 04 Jul 2009, 10:20 »

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Mabh

I need new gear. Half of my gear are from when I was raiding and doing heroics before WotLK came out. This is no good. But I did get a new weapon yesterday from Amphitheater of Anguish and it's a nice mace. I am just not having very good luck when it comes to gear that is leather, but at least I am still healing rather well with old gear (not shown) and still doing pretty well soloing.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1319 on: 04 Jul 2009, 10:21 »

Yeah, what really bothered me is that a few of those kind of sites merely take what armory says at face value and then tack on a gear score based on item budget. It's nice to know that wowhead at least takes care of the issue.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2009, 10:25 by Alex C »

Yakob

« Reply #1320 on: 04 Jul 2009, 14:05 »

Thanks for the comments guys. I was in the mind set of "holy shit, need best gear ever before even stepping into Naxx" even if something was just the tiniest bit better than what I already have. I've never really raided before so it's always loomed over me as being super intimidating. Now I feel way more relaxed about it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1321 on: 04 Jul 2009, 14:21 »

Healing raids has never been a problem for me and I've got pretty lame +heals. And from what I've heard, Naxx really isn't too bad.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1322 on: 04 Jul 2009, 15:41 »

Well, as the saying goes, tanking is strategy, dps is a science and healing is an art. Tanks and DPSers go in with an idea of what optimal play should look like on their end going into the fight. Good tanks know where they want the mobs and good DPSers should have a clear idea of how to maximize their time nailing the target; in a very real way the tank is responsible mostly for themselves while the DPSers are responsible for responding to the tank. Healing, on the other hand, is less about preparation (although it is definitely important for coping with spike damage!) and more about cleaning up the mess when the other two roles do something stupid. Hence how much gear a healer needs at the minimum is often directly related to how good his teammates are.

clockworkjames

« Reply #1323 on: 04 Jul 2009, 16:31 »

Wandered into a new 10 man guild btw, first 2 parts of ulduar down the other nite, then today we did EoE and sarth1d without too much trouble. It's crazy because the people are much less geared than my last guild but they are so much more capable it's insane.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1324 on: 04 Jul 2009, 23:42 »

Yeah, it's kinda funny how that works sometimes. See, there were 6 really good players counting myself in my old guild and a handful of scrubs. Our experience consisted mostly of carrying idiots through Naxx 10 on our backs. Out of that group of 6 people my current guild has gained what could best be described as their new co-maintank (let's face it, with WoW being what it is today you need at least 2 top quality tanks in the raid, period), the new primary main tank healer (A beast of a paladin who has stacked so much int that he basically never runs out of mana due to gaining something ridiculous like 400+ mp5 just from replenishment)  and 4 dpsers that regularly place within the top 5 or 6. The bit that amuses me the most is some of the vent chatter that took place the first time the 6 of us decided we would form the core of the guild's unofficial "Group 2" Uld10 team and promptly tore our way through to General Vezax in the space of an evening on our second week of running it; we likely would have downed him but we really only have time to do 1 evening of Uld10 a week. We took one of our guild officer's alts through with us and he has gone from saying we shouldn't feel bad when it takes us a while to get things down to admitting that he thinks as a unit we're probably better than the "primary" group.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2009, 23:48 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #1325 on: 05 Jul 2009, 05:15 »

I dun get the mana batteryisms of holy paladins these days, raid buffed they have more mana than tanks do health.

It's fucking stupid.

BEACON OF LIGHT ON THE TANK K THX.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1326 on: 05 Jul 2009, 09:07 »

Yeah, Blizzard dropped the ball when they made Intellect the best scaling stat for paladins bar none. It helps their spell power, it helps their crit, it scales with Blessing of Kings and point for point it's a more effective form of mana regeneration than the same item budget's worth of Mp5 once Replenishment is factored in. Logan doesn't run OOM. Ever. Even against General Vezax the dude has Judgements of the Wise to fall back on. We've had half the raid wipe and all the healers but him die and he'll still manage to keep most of who's left standing up until the Enrage timer hits; we don't ever just all killed in our guild, we call wipes when it's clear we've taken too many losses to bother continuing. The only thing preventing him from being the most grotesquely overpowered healer I've seen is the lack of multi-target heal, and even that doesn't seem to slow him down much.
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2009, 09:53 by Alex C »

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1327 on: 06 Jul 2009, 00:26 »

Well the mana-thingy for palys will change in next patch. Or rather, they will have to stack more mp5 since they will only gaine 30% of the base mana instead of 60% when they crit. And some other nerfs. They will also buff flash of light a little to force them to start thinking outside the holy light spam.

Last night my old guild finally did naxx10 for the first time. We were a quite good but small guild during TBC but lost a few people to Warhammer online. But a month back moste of them decided to come back. Unfortunatly we are only 8 active right now. The crazy thing is that with only partially heroic geared we did Naxx10 dedicated few. None of us who have been playing for a while brought our mains. So Naxx10 is a cake walk and as long as the group can communicate it will be fine. Oh wait, one guy brought his shammy healer who is partially naxxx25 geared, but he had never done naxx10.

Quite a lot interesting changes coming up in the 3.2 patch. The new ardent defender talent for prot palas is crazy.
http://www.wowhead.com/?patchnotes=3.2-ptr
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Yakob

« Reply #1328 on: 06 Jul 2009, 06:28 »

I don't know about anyone else, but rogues with axes doesn't sit well with me.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1329 on: 06 Jul 2009, 15:20 »

So I've healed HoS and HoL and I feel that when your tank has 3x the health you do, it's ok to dps. Why? Because it gets boring really fast. But at least we only wiped once. Lightning to the healer + poorly timed lag = bad bad thing.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1330 on: 06 Jul 2009, 16:15 »

I've never really minded a healer dpsing a li'l as long as they prioritize correctly. Hell, the priests in my guild typically keep shadow word pain up on everything for trash fights since it scales so well even without talents.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1331 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:50 »

The only thing I don't like about it is switching back and forth between tree form and caster form. But lifebloom is pretty nice, so I have been throwing that up when I'm dps-ing and popping HoTs if there isn't crazy damage going on.

Also, I don't mind healing, but I don't like being squishy. I like my moonkin armor bonus. *pout*

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1332 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:57 »

General Vezax hit me for 185k+ today in Uld25; we were mid-wipe when Surge of Darkness hit and he turned around and crit me.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1333 on: 07 Jul 2009, 18:25 »

I don't know about anyone else, but rogues with axes doesn't sit well with me.

I don't know why this bothers people. We're a melee dps pure class that's essentially limited to one armor type since there's no cloth itemized for melee dps. Further, there's basically a single rogue of note in the history of warcraft and we know jack squat about her. Lore wise we're essentially just lightly armored brawlers; our history is so sketchy that they're naming the alliance side tier 9 set after a level 20 elite. Having another weapon type that's used universally by the three melee classes that actually still use one handers for dps hits me as a good thing.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2009, 20:38 by Alex C »

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #1334 on: 08 Jul 2009, 06:45 »

So I've healed HoS and HoL and I feel that when your tank has 3x the health you do, it's ok to dps. Why? Because it gets boring really fast. But at least we only wiped once. Lightning to the healer + poorly timed lag = bad bad thing.

In my Naxx and heroics I run. As a healer I would often pull whatever group I can get to, even if we aren't remotely finished with mobs we're currently on. People that come with me often down groups in a hurry when they realize that their healer isn't there.... and is probably down the hall pulling groups and running back.

Groups moving, worrying about repair bills, and down trash faster = more enjoyable time in boring content.

Downed XT on hard mode on monday. And started an alt 10 man ulduar group, downed the first 3 bosses in quest items and some 10 man pieces!

Healing, on the other hand, is less about preparation (although it is definitely important for coping with spike damage!) and more about cleaning up the mess when the other two roles do something stupid. Hence how much gear a healer needs at the minimum is often directly related to how good his teammates are.

I agree that Healing is an art, BUT

Reactive healing will lead to a lot of dead raid members. This is why Shaman and Pallys struggle in current hard-mode content. It all comes down to coping with AoE damage, which in Ulduar is... insane? Not Sunwell era raid wide AoE damage insane, but incredibly frustrating as a shaman because everyone is so spread out. Druids and Priests have the ability to be mobile and AoE heal the raid instantly. Shaman and Paladins have 1 instant on a long cooldown that is both expensive and has little effective healing.

This is why Omen is a great healer utility, because you can see a dps who might pull aggro and be ready to attempt to save them. This is why instant cast Aoe healing and absorb shields are so effective in Ulduar if you use them at the correct times rather then just spamming. This is why they nerfed mana regeneration of replenishment and will yet again nerf healer regen. This is why... ect ect ect.

As mentioned, I recently did XT-Hardmode which is quite simple in terms of execution, but the raid damage every minute is almost unbearable  when you are partnered with a shaman. I'm in the group of Sixthy, the greatest shaman in the world, and have to agree that current content should be Lesser Healing Wave spam. But why should I be pigeon hole'd into a 1.2 Second cast, int or spell power stacking, and spot healing low members in the raid for REAL healers to actually top off. Why can't I assist raid damage with chain heal?

3 reasons.

1) Cast time is too long, by the time we get it off priests and druids will have taken care of it. Thus we end up over healing.
2) Heals for too little compared to other AoE that costs much less in terms of mana per health.
3) Chain heal doesn't jump nearly far enough to hit 4 people.

Healing is become a lot less about how intuitive you are or how well you can read a fight, but more your ability to roll a druid or a priest. Next patch Pallys get some love with the Beacon change. Still Shaman are gonna be sitting on the bench when it comes to hard-mode content, which really is all that matters since the normal content is so easy for the casuals.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2009, 07:08 by messeduplilkid »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1335 on: 08 Jul 2009, 07:51 »

Reactive healing is dead as a far as tank healers are concerned but in terms of raid damage you still need to be able to perform triage since raid members are still quite capable of doing goofy things that strain the healers' mana pool and makes them scramble. Reactive doesn't even seem like the right word since a glance around the raid can often tell you who is most likely to be needing the extra heals before it happens. For example, last night we had someone mentally check out during a fight and ended up getting a half dozen people hit with a gravity bomb just a bit before Deconstructor's only tantrum of the night. We didn't lose anyone but that particular moment required the healers to be three things: 1. Aware that the tantrum was coming 2. Aware that a guy with gravity bomb didn't appear to be moving 3. Geared enough to make the adjustment without skipping a beat. I have friends who haven't played since BC who I am terribly confident could have have met the first two criteria, but they would have had serious issues with the last one.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1336 on: 08 Jul 2009, 19:13 »

Question - I've definitely noticed my mana being spent a LOT faster than it was in BC, but with healing especially so. I used to be ok with just a crap ton of int, but now is it better to have int, spirit, or mp5 on my gear? I feel like I'm burning through way too much mana, but then again, that could be due to having inadequate gear. (Seriously, a lot of my gear is still from Kara because I haven't been finding jack. And I don't want to waste gold on enchants when I'm trying to get rid of most of what I currently have.)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1337 on: 08 Jul 2009, 20:30 »

Intellect is still the mana pool stat of choice these days; I don't know the exact numbers, but the gist of it is that it's always at least competitive with Spirit and it pulls quite a bit ahead whenever Replenishment is involved. The thing is, however, that good Resto druid items typically have a big fat chunk of Spellpower, Spirit and Intellect on them these days anyway. The other stats are all fairly marginal aside from Haste, which should probably be your first choice when blending in other stats, but keep in mind that the Gift of the Earthmother talent should let you get by until you can start adding it without giving up much SP/Int/Spi in the process.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2009, 20:55 by Alex C »

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #1338 on: 08 Jul 2009, 20:58 »

Alex, definitely agree on your situation with the gravity bomb. I definitely don't think that's reactive healing at all. In fact that's what I would call effective healing. I would also add a 4th note that the healer also knows what heals to use in what situation instantly.

Linds, again agree'n with Alex. It depends on your class but intellect is an insane stat to stack. It really depends on your gear level and content, but a little int goes a LONG way. Int will give you all of the essential stats you need for healing but most importantly scales with replenishment. If you are having trouble in heroics or in normals because of unlucky drops or poor quest gear itemization. Bring a Ret Pally, Shadow Priest, Affliction Warlock, or a Survival Hunter. Mana regeneration is based on the healing classes having a situational mana regen ability and replenishment.

As a druid? To be honest you have a TON of options in terms of stat stacking. With the changes to innervate you don't need spirit to make it effective, so when I get my druid to 80 I plan on going straight throughput (spellpower) to really maximize HoTs and Wildgrowth.

I would probably go: SP>Haste~Crit>Spirit>mp5

I used to be one of those people that took a balanced approach to a single set. But now I'm finding I have to sets that totally boost one stat. As a shaman: int set and spell power set (I have a chain heal set with almost 900 haste, but I don't count it since I only use it in one fight)

Spell power will always provide maximim benefit for spells

Haste isn't so much used to reduce cast time, but to reduce the GCD to a minimum of 1 second. As a class with many instant heals, getting more spells out because your gcd is at 1 rather then 1.5 could probably help a ton. But you need to STACK haste for it to be effective.

Crit.... well RNG has never been my friend. So I go with a sure thing like spell power. But Critical strikes are for fact more throughput in healing. Big question, are those huge crits effective heals? Pallys next patch and Shaman on live benefit from over healing to some degree. You have to ask yourself if crit'ing for a billion when someone only needed a 1K heal is really all that great.

Spirit, it got nerfed. True story.

Mp5, well... mp5 is going to be really controversial next patch. 80% of the time you don't get mp5 on cloth or leather. But mp5 is also getting an enormus buff.... I want to say DOUBLE, but I might be thinking of shield block rating. This coupled with the fact that mana regen is again getting nerfed might mean mp5 might be a nice stat to not stack, but supplement in blue sockets over spirit. MAYBE. I'll theory craft when the ptr doesn't have such a horrible build and let you guys know what I find out.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1339 on: 08 Jul 2009, 21:40 »

Well, my problem with crit is that it only affects the direct heals and that druids have an awful lot of talents that give Spirit increased synergy as well as an awful lot of HoTs. As a shaman I probably wouldn't touch spirit with a ten foot pole, but trees get 50% mana regeneration while casting, 15% increased Spirit and bonus spell power equal to 15% of total Spirit. So, if you're like one of my guildies and can hit 1k Spirit after buffs you end up with something like 150 Spell power and the equivalent of 250 Mp5. I would still stack spellpower and intellect first if given a choice in the matter, but it's such a well-rounded stat for druids that I'd be inclined to rank it over crit, particularly when you consider that your Regrowth and Nourish will have a 25% crit bonus after talents anyway.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1340 on: 09 Jul 2009, 00:52 »

Just going trow in some numbers here about mp5 and such for healers. I have a disc priest and a resto druid.
Disc priest, fuck spirit. It's a crap stat and you will allways get more out int. But you can't avoid it and the three points to meditation isn't that much. But still, never ever stack spirit.
So i prio something like this right now. SP > Int > crit/haste > spirit.

Holy priests on the other hand likes spirit but not as much as druids. I would say that spirit and int is of equal value for holy. So SP > int/spirit > crit/haste.

Druids love spirit and its a great stat for them. But spell power is still their prio but not by much. So SP > spirit > haste/crit > int.

I don't know that much about shammy healing more than what my friend tells me, but it looks to me that they should stack a hell of a lot of mp5 and int (for replenishment).

Pallys just have one prio, get as much int as you can. This might change in the next patch.

Crit and haste is allways dependent on how much you have of each of them. Allthough haste is slightly better for druids while crit is better for paladins. As a disc priest I stack crit since I allways have borrowed time for the important heals. Thats my experience anyway.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1341 on: 09 Jul 2009, 07:18 »

My daughter just hit lvl 40 with her Night Elf Druid last night. Its cool to watch her in action. She seems to do a good balance of tanking and healing on any of the instances i've seen her play.

In the meantime i've started a human warrior who i've called Angusteak well actually he's lvl 15 already. And for fun I've also started a Troll mage i've called Marshmello. both toons are technically on my wifes account.
*was getting tired of that slug*

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1342 on: 09 Jul 2009, 08:09 »

I guess my thoughts with druids is that it depends a lot on just how geared you are and what your needs are. When just starting out with my druid I've had more issues with regen than raw healing output, so at my gear range I think in terms of Spellpower>Int>Spirit>Haste 'till 1 sec gcd soft cap>crit=Mp5>Haste post soft cap. My druid's just an alt though; I would bet that someone geared enough to be trying hardmodes as a druid would probably be thinking more along the lines of Spellpower>haste 'till softcap>Spirit>Crit>Int>Haste post soft cap. After all, endurance is nice for hardmode encounters, but first you need to be able to keep up to begin with.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2009, 09:39 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1343 on: 09 Jul 2009, 16:51 »

Thanks guys! Really I just need to do more instances so I can get gear, because once I hit 80 I may start running Naxx and then Ulduar if I can get good enough gear to get me through it. They joined another guild so hopefully this new guild doesn't need a full time healer and will let me continue to dps. I don't mind healing, but I don't know if I want to do it all the time.

clockworkjames

« Reply #1344 on: 09 Jul 2009, 17:13 »

Just keep doing naxx now, even 25 mans will take you along unless they are full of idiots. You only need one or two of the tanks and healers to be capable to get to kt.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #1345 on: 13 Jul 2009, 20:02 »

Ding, level 40

dude i thought you "quit"

i am level 60 and well on my way to becoming someone who has no life and raids every day.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

anamnesies

« Reply #1346 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:53 »

Playing a rogue for too long leads to sociopathy and assorted mental illnesses (been there, done that). You've been warned.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1347 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:02 »

Case in point: I main a rogue.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1348 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:51 »

I hate rogues.

There's just dick a nice sweet druid can do against those sneaky bastards.

But then again ... there's quite a few classes a druid can do dick about. Maybe I suck as a druid.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #1349 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:54 »

Shred is raids = bullshit.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53   Go Up