THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 04:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651149 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #1750 on: 04 Nov 2009, 13:44 »

I'm using Chatter. Prat is really full featured and can probably do whatever it is that you want it to, but good luck finding out how to go about it; the author's admitted that he's added so many features that he can't be bothered to list them all now. I'm a less-is-more kind of guy anyway, and even Chatter is more than I really need.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1751 on: 04 Nov 2009, 15:34 »

Well that screen shot and the article I just read on the eggs just made me want to go back to Sholazar and grind more rep there. Yep.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #1752 on: 04 Nov 2009, 17:33 »

It's really not a bad grind, either. Beats the shit out of the Wyrmrest Accord rep I had to do for my Resto helm enchant. There's three dailies that are all pretty easy to do in quick succession and you only have to go as far as Revered to get the egg.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1753 on: 04 Nov 2009, 18:26 »

I've been doing dailies mostly in Storm Peaks, but farming herbs is just as good in both places and I've only really been doing dailies for gold anyways.

And I've been leveling up my DK since I've been bored with not having anything to do with the druid and soloing with it is pretty fun. Even though they can't heal themselves, DKs stand up to quite a bit.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2009, 18:28 by Linds »

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1754 on: 04 Nov 2009, 18:48 »

I leveled my Wyrmrest Accord rep so easy. Picked up a tabard and just had it on in every single instance ever. I did Kirin Tor and Ebon Blade the same way.

In other news, it looks like I'm now shopping for a new guild.

Basically, there is guild drama afoot and I'm pissed off. To start with, I'm an officer in the guild and had permission to start my own raid team. I did a bunch of recruiting and put together a few good people - it was hard trying to find everyone, so generally we pugged the rest of the spots and for a bunch of people who'd never been in Ulduar before, we downed the first three bosses rather easily. So far, we haven't got any further. The last run we did, my Guild Leader and her boyfriend (one of the other officers) came with us and she insisted on doing FL on hard mode. We'd been in there twice before, and it was mostly a PUG run, I was really unimpressed and we didn't get past it.

Now the other week, my Guild Leader told me that two of our guild members, who are USA based, would be joining my raid team. Now, I run raids at Aussie times, so it'd be in the middle of the night for these two people and it didn't make much sense to me, but I was excited and just went with it. The next day I log into WoW and ask them about it. They have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Turns out one of them asks the Guild Leader about it and she basically tells her that because I was having trouble putting my raids together and not getting organised, that she was looking at taking over and setting things right. At this point, I'd not spoken to my Guild Leader about this at all, so I'm furious because she hadn't even mentioned this to me either.

I found out all this information after this pally (who was one of the two people meant to be joining my raid team, the second being her boyfriend) left the guild and her boyfriend got gkicked. Why? Turns out the pally got talked into being a healadin by one of our other officers, he took her into H CoS (the daily for that day) and she's been 80 for a week and has one epic. She was trying her very best to heal the entire group but was really really really struggling and got yelled at and criticised for it greatly. Our officer KNEW she wasn't geared enough to support four fully geared party members in such a fast paced instance and still took her along and still bagged her out and complained about it. She logged off mid-instance in tears and logged on later and /gquit because she has no intention of staying in the guild with an officer who behaves like that (he has a bit of a god complex going on). Once she left, our Guild Leader booted her boyfriend and all their alts from the guild.

Now these two people are LOVELY. They are so nice and I really enjoyed playing with them and I was so annoyed and upset when I found out what had happened. This girl has helped a bunch of people in guild with their flyers and is always up for anything that she can do to help, and she gets walked over and treated like shit. On top of that, the way my Guild Leader has handled the situation shows that she does have favourites and that annoys me too.

Also, her taking over my raid team has also meant that one of my tanks has now been taken into her raid team, which is our 10man team one. No one said anything to me AT ALL.

I'm annoyed, angry, pissed off and generally not happy with my guild and the Guild Leader. Drama seems to follow her everywhere she goes, she has favourites and she's really rather selfish.

I've put in an application for one of the other guilds on my server that one of the other ex-officers from my guild has just moved to and I hope I can find somewhere I am happier in. I play the game for fun, I don't want to have to deal with shit like this.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2009, 18:55 by jmrz »
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1755 on: 04 Nov 2009, 19:00 »

All of that is absolutely terrible. Being GL doesn't mean getting to act with impunity, or with stupidity.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1756 on: 04 Nov 2009, 19:55 »

Chewing someone out 'till they cry over a 5 man is pretty low. Gear level shouldn't have anything to do with it; there's a right way and a wrong way to handle performance issues, period.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1757 on: 04 Nov 2009, 20:48 »

This is the way I look at it: the more difficult the instance, the harsher you are allowed to be in criticism. Heroic CoS? This is about how harsh you should be:

"Dude it's cool you are learning a new spec and have almost no gear. We will just take it slow and forget about the mount run."

Now if this girl had been geared and running a hardmode ToC or something and couldn't keep her tank up it coulda gone something like this:

"You damn cunt rag, all you fucking have to do is fucking spam fucking flash of light! Jesus fucking christ you play a goddamn paladin!"

I am assuming that example number 2 was applied to situation number 1.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #1758 on: 04 Nov 2009, 21:03 »

Ummm... Its just a game?

Maybe Im not in the best position to cast judgement since Ive never really entered into high level play and havent logged on in the last month. But this all seems over the top for a game, which by definition should be fun.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1759 on: 04 Nov 2009, 23:16 »

Pretty much. There's really no call for being rude. The only time someone got ripped on by my guild leader publicly was when an officer threw a great big sulk due to a bunch of the melee dps dying off. First off, the officer was out of line for being as big of a douche as he was being about it in the first place. Second of all, he was actually completely wrong about what happened, but he let the oft mistaken "DPS is always responsible for their own survival" concept override the need to actually, you know, be reasonable about what happened and observe what the actual problem was. But really, that's a minor point; if he had been using a modicum of civility in his initial rantings nobody would have minded having to correct him. As it was however, he deserved getting taken down a peg.

Also, I can't imagine actually criticizing a paladin for the inability to keep someone standing in Heroic Trial of the Crusader. The damned tank damage on Gormok is so fucking ridiculous that it's basically impossible to screw it up since the decision making has basically been taken out of your hands. Your GCDs are quite literally already all accounted for; you basically bomb the tank and pray on that fight.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1760 on: 05 Nov 2009, 00:08 »

Horay for friendly guilds. And there's never any reason for expression nr 2. It only makes other people angry and they will perform worse.
ToGC 10 normal is geting quite easy. Yesterday we did it 3 times, first mains, then alt run nr 1, then alt run n2. And I got loot, some perdy boots from the bland and white ladies. To my priest. That I almost never playes. And is lowest on my priorities. But hey, it was fun.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1761 on: 05 Nov 2009, 05:33 »

There is no reason whatsoever that you should yell at or make a guildie cry. It's a game! It's supposed to be fun! If you're making people you've probably never met before cry over a fucking computer game, you're an ass. If this is your guild, ask what's going wrong and encourage them to do better. If it's a pug, if someone spoke to me like that once, I'd leave. Don't waste your time getting pissed about it, because seriously at the end of the day, this game doesn't matter.

I don't think any of my guilds have ever yelled at anyone. The harshest I've ever heard directed at anyone was along the lines of, "Dude, WTF."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1762 on: 05 Nov 2009, 06:04 »

This is the way I look at it: the more difficult the instance, the harsher you are allowed to be in criticism. Heroic CoS? This is about how harsh you should be:

"Dude it's cool you are learning a new spec and have almost no gear. We will just take it slow and forget about the mount run."

Now if this girl had been geared and running a hardmode ToC or something and couldn't keep her tank up it coulda gone something like this:

"You damn cunt rag, all you fucking have to do is fucking spam fucking flash of light! Jesus fucking christ you play a goddamn paladin!"

I am assuming that example number 2 was applied to situation number 1.

Option 2, applied to me, would earn you a 'F U C K you' and a 'Good luck finding a new healer and I'm off picking flowers.'
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #1763 on: 05 Nov 2009, 15:26 »

If someone is shit, there is no problem telling them so. It just depends on how you do it and why, if they insist on doing something, and they are shit at it, and it messes stuff up for people, I won't hesistate to drop a shit-ton of iron fist on a rogue who won't stay behind the tanks on pre Hodir trash mobs. I am not the raid leader or GM, but even if I wasn't a class leader/officer I would not hesitate to do the same.

It's one of the reasons I was accepted into the guild on their shortest trial ever, trialist for 3 days, member for 2 weeks and classleader since. I was told it was because I tanked "Beyond my gear level and class abilities" along with my vocal command over other raiders while a trialist, yeah I yelled at another warrior tonk trialist when he left me to break phear charge and interrupt on crazy cat lady, while I was the add tank and he wanted to prove his worth (1 warrior tank spot, 2 warrior tank trialists, 10 man ulduar). I got bossy and apparantly they liked it.

So as a srsface prick, I do get shouty on vent.

Commanding shout FTW.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Leinad

« Reply #1764 on: 05 Nov 2009, 17:02 »

Well, it depends on the setting you are in. In a casual guild, or even a serious raiding guild with a low tolerance for verbal abuse, then no I wouldn't have said that. But a few of the actual decent and progressed guilds I have been in, everyone gets talked to like that, its just MO for a lot of progressive players. If you are gonna take it up the butt cause someone yelled at you over a video game, GTFO was their outlook on it.

Plus, when you have spent 4 hours on one boss and you are getting SO CLOSE everytime but can't quite get it, don't tell me that you DON'T want to just up and scream at someone. As raid leader, you get in a lot less trouble for it ; )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1765 on: 05 Nov 2009, 17:42 »

Maybe I've just been lucky in finding friendly guilds that really know their stuff and are willing to work with others. I have wanted to yell at people and I've told people to piss off for being rude and other reasons, but I've never flown off the handle. And nobody in the three guilds I've been in (the last being made up of all real life friends) has ever been that much of an ass to anyone. (Mostly when someone pisses us off, we let everyone die, laugh about it while jumping on their corpses, and then leave. One of my friends was notorious for that.)

But then again, I do solo quite a bit because I hate most people who play WoW. That might be part of the reason I think it's silly to be that much of an ass to people just because I rarely interact with other players anymore.

torontoguy2k8

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1766 on: 05 Nov 2009, 22:21 »

Zero point in spending weeks getting t6 since crafted junk from the people grinding up tailoring/LW/BS will be enough, especially at the rate you replace them questing.

Well see, the thing is, Tier 6 and sunwell level gear can and will last you until 80, without having to replace it at any point during that leveling curve. My hunter not only leveled straight to 80 in Tier 6, but was able to competently perform in a couple Naxx 10 runs. And my hunter is maxed out on enchanting and mining so getting the gear gemmed out in Rare LK gems and good enchants will pretty much guarantee that I will not have to replace a single piece until 80. So in my opinion it's totally worth the effort and time. Besides, there's a group on my server dedicated to doing old world content and they do BT, Hyjal, and Sunwell every week at midnight, so it's no skin off my back to tag along and get free loots :P

And it sucks to hear about that shitty guild drama. I've had to leave guilds because of officers playing favorites and acting like morons on power trips. People tend to lose sight of the fact that WoW is a game, and that you're supposed to have fun.
I'm happy with my new guild though. Very chill.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #1767 on: 06 Nov 2009, 04:16 »

Sorry, Leinad, but the word to describe you is wrong. Even if you're one of those types who treats raiding like a job, there's NO EXCUSE FOR THAT KIND OF BEHAVIOR EVER!

If you can't do it to your subordinates in the workplace, why would you do it there? Try to show some decorum instead of flexing your internet tough guy muscle.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1768 on: 06 Nov 2009, 09:27 »

So in my opinion it's totally worth the effort and time.

Unless you actually like doing that content, no, it's really not, since quest greens and blues in Northrend will give you 90% of the benefit just for doing stuff that you already would be doing anyway, (unless you're some weirdo who doesn't quest at all while leveling). I ended up with around one or two items per slot from Borean Tundra alone, with virtually all of the quests required being easy. I walked out of there only having to fight one elite that I actually remember needing a friend for, which was fine by me since the fist weapon I got out of the deal outperforms any rogue mainhand in BC short of the Hand of the Deceiver or the Warglaives. There's literally at least 80 quests per zone in Northrend, and many of them give decent enough rewards that you'll likely want to do many of them just so you can disenchant things if nothing else. If you also do quests with the appropriate factions in mind, it's also quite easy to have the rep needed to pick up a few faction blues by the time you're 80 as well; I personally didn't have any problem hitting 80 and immediately tackling Naxx 10 with my shiny new Reaper of Dark Souls-Fang of Truth combo, which outright stomps BC gear. Honestly, bothering to do tier 6 content just means you'll be dusting a few greens earlier than others. There's nothing wrong with doing the things you enjoy, but if you were to look at things in terms of progression and opportunity costs it's hard to argue in favor of farming BC content at this time.

Of course, the above probably doesn't really matter since I don't get the impression that you really give a crap about getting your character into raid ready shape as quickly and efficiently as possible, which is fine. In my not so humble opinion, the best reason to get geared is so you can go see the content you want to explore, and if Black Temple and Sunwell are the content you want to see, then you're obviously making the right move.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2009, 09:38 by Alex C »

Leinad

« Reply #1769 on: 06 Nov 2009, 10:40 »

Guys, about the language thing:

Different guilds work different ways. Lets take Ensidia and Premonition for example. From what I have gathered from Ensidia, you can basically expect something along the lines of what I just said. They have been number 1 before, and I am sure will be again. Premonition, current number 1, has a low verbal abuse policy. Two different extremes. It just depends on who you feel comfortable raiding with. Your guilds might not work that way, and have you ever considered that THAT is why you are in them? Guilds I have been in work differently, and thats why I raid with them.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1770 on: 06 Nov 2009, 10:48 »

Being an asshole can work out well, but it still makes you an asshole.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #1771 on: 06 Nov 2009, 11:05 »

Besides, there's a group on my server dedicated to doing old world content and they do BT, Hyjal, and Sunwell every week at midnight, so it's no skin off my back to tag along and get free loots :P

...loot YOU don't need because YOU are the one wearing tier 6/heirloom everything already. more for me then!!
<3 old world raiding with people who are mostly 80. even though i do feel like i'm being carried through it sometimes.  :|

alex, we were actually talking about my progression, not his. and i am not the sort of person who is going to see all the latest content anytime soon. i would like to, but i just don't have the time to devote to getting geared enough/leveling quickly, so i'm not going to get much further than bt/sunwell. but that's alright, since i'm still fairly new to raiding and would like to get better at it before i move to the harder stuff so that people don't yell at me and call me a fucking noob. i think this is sensible.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

clockworkjames

« Reply #1772 on: 06 Nov 2009, 11:50 »

I don't think many of you grasped what I was saying, I stated pretty clearly there is a way to say anything.

I don't yell at people like a prick for no reason or often, I tell them sternly what to do, what they are doing wrong etc. etc. because it works. If you DO get all butthurt, you are the kind of person who won't be dancing their way towards grand crusader any time soon, which is fine for casual/slacker people who still do naxx for raiding gear short of unique stuff for specific gear sets.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with doing that, but don't get judgemental over how a guild who has done it to death, and moved on to current harder content operates whether it be how they talk on vent or treat members, you think non set 245's come easy? You tolerate people stepping out of line constantly thinking they know better while doing 2k dps and causing wipes? Go ahead, but be prepared to stay in welfares/badgegear for that much longer.

And getting close to the kill then wiping doesn't piss me off or make me rage, I see it as being close to success and when everyone is doing what they are supposed to, doing well giving 100% and failing just short it makes me smile becuse it is a challenge and the game is still a challenge.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1773 on: 06 Nov 2009, 12:02 »

I think pretty much everyone was talking about things in general, not specifically to you. Some people agree, some disagree.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1774 on: 06 Nov 2009, 12:51 »

You tolerate people stepping out of line constantly thinking they know better while doing 2k dps and causing wipes? Go ahead, but be prepared to stay in welfares/badgegear for that much longer.

There's a difference between letting people slack and being rude. I don't tolerate taking shit from other players nor do I invite people who can't do their jobs. I don't see why I should have to do either. If they have a suggestion, a fix, or can do better by bringing someone else other than me, fine. But the marine corps parody put up or shut up posturing and chest pounding present in many guilds is quite frankly ridiculous and does more harm than good. I think it's no coincidence that in my experience such an attitude is more commonly found in short lived second tier guilds than the ones that end up functioning well over the long haul. You should only break down someone's performance if you think you can build something with it. If you don't think you can do that without spewing a half gallon of bile perhaps it's just best to keep your mouth shut and part ways. Simple.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2009, 13:02 by Alex C »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1775 on: 06 Nov 2009, 13:06 »

Then again, maybe I'm the wrong person to ask about such things, since I've never really gotten any leverage out of being purposely harsh that my normal demeanor didn't already afford me. At my last job interview, they said they actually checked my references, which was a bit surprising, and my old boss said that yes he remembered me well and that I was "Professional but terrifying." Apparently this was meant affectionately? I got the job, so I guess people are okay with this.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2009, 13:11 by Alex C »

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #1776 on: 06 Nov 2009, 13:37 »

I do wonder what "Professional yet terrifying actually means"
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

torontoguy2k8

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1777 on: 06 Nov 2009, 15:01 »

So in my opinion it's totally worth the effort and time.

Unless you actually like doing that content, no, it's really not, since quest greens and blues in Northrend will give you 90% of the benefit just for doing stuff that you already would be doing anyway, (unless you're some weirdo who doesn't quest at all while leveling). I ended up with around one or two items per slot from Borean Tundra alone, with virtually all of the quests required being easy. I walked out of there only having to fight one elite that I actually remember needing a friend for, which was fine by me since the fist weapon I got out of the deal outperforms any rogue mainhand in BC short of the Hand of the Deceiver or the Warglaives. There's literally at least 80 quests per zone in Northrend, and many of them give decent enough rewards that you'll likely want to do many of them just so you can disenchant things if nothing else. If you also do quests with the appropriate factions in mind, it's also quite easy to have the rep needed to pick up a few faction blues by the time you're 80 as well; I personally didn't have any problem hitting 80 and immediately tackling Naxx 10 with my shiny new Reaper of Dark Souls-Fang of Truth combo, which outright stomps BC gear. Honestly, bothering to do tier 6 content just means you'll be dusting a few greens earlier than others. There's nothing wrong with doing the things you enjoy, but if you were to look at things in terms of progression and opportunity costs it's hard to argue in favor of farming BC content at this time.

Of course, the above probably doesn't really matter since I don't get the impression that you really give a crap about getting your character into raid ready shape as quickly and efficiently as possible, which is fine. In my not so humble opinion, the best reason to get geared is so you can go see the content you want to explore, and if Black Temple and Sunwell are the content you want to see, then you're obviously making the right move.

I see where you're coming from yeah. But at the same time, Both me and Anna aren't the type who are all "OMG must progress and do L33T raidz" so for us taking out time and doing BC raid content while leveling isn't so bad. Also, Anna likes her achievements, so going through BC raid content at least once for her is on the to do list.
Like she said, I already have a character that raids. He's currently doing 10 man ToC and Ulduar. Only because my new guild is kinda small, but we get shit done :) I'd love to see Anna get that far (Hence inviting her into my guild) but at the same time if she wants to relax and experience other content, more power to her. Neither one of us is entirely fond of questing. It's kinda dull in my opinion, but it IS the most efficient leveling method.

Another benefit to leveling to 80 in the same set of gear, is that Wrath greens and blues awarded from quests sell for a decent amount of money, so that's one of the positive aspects of it. While I leveled Ulfgar to 80 in his tier 6 gear, I was NEVER broke (And I'm a hunter. We're an expensive class!) so it's not completely pointless. Besides, Tier 6 raids are fun as hell.

Oh and Anna, don't feel bad. Yeah you're pretty much getting carried through (basically anyone pre 80 is when you look at the 80s that run these things) but they're cool with that. They encourage people to come, even if you're horribly undergeared. And having a boyfriend that will give you free gems and enchants is always nice too.

And I totally agree that you REALLY have no right to treat people like utter garbage based on in game performance. The only time I have ever ripped someone a new one is when they were either being offensive/racist/prejudice, spamming like a moron solely to piss people off, or playing the Anal/Thunderfury/whatever spam games in trade chat.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1778 on: 06 Nov 2009, 16:24 »

I do wonder what "Professional yet terrifying actually means"

Well, I did make a new EMT-B's eyes bulge damn near out of her head once when I responded to a question with "Only if he's not really interested in walking again." I don't think she could have backed away faster from the guy if I had came at her with the defibrillator. At least I'm not as bad as my uncle though; he got better, but when he first started working at the Mayo Clinic as a nurse he was told that he was very good but would be better off working with comatose patients. Kind of a mean way to put it, but it got the point across.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2009, 16:40 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #1779 on: 07 Nov 2009, 06:18 »

I never said I treat people like shit on vent, you are still missing the point there is a way and reason to say things.

I don't swear, I don't namecall, I tell them what they are doing wrong and how to correct it in a stern but controlled way. I don't see the need to tiptoe around slackers, if someone is doing something wrong there is no reason to be vocal and heard on vent to tell them quickly and accurately what they are doing wrong, what they should be doing and what the result of each action is.

Sometimes you need to call them out on it, tell them what to do and get it sorted.

I have had RL's alot more verbal than me, but each time I got called out on something in this manner, you bet your trinkets I didn't do it again.

clockworkjames

« Reply #1780 on: 08 Nov 2009, 11:44 »

But I got quoted... That is specifically me.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #1781 on: 08 Nov 2009, 12:03 »

Fishing Tournament... any pointers? This is the last achievement i need for my Salty title and im now going on 2nd week and im not even close to winning? 
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1782 on: 08 Nov 2009, 12:18 »

Get people to help you via fishing at other holes with no intention of actually turning in their fish before you do. Everything else you can do is basically useless since the pools that spawn in the best locations will also attract the most traffic, negating any advantage.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2009, 12:23 by Alex C »

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #1783 on: 08 Nov 2009, 13:24 »

ya ive heard of doing that or having your guildies basically block their bobber making it hard for them to catch anything but that just seems wrong (prolly cuz it is). The only thing ive done is change my HS to BB so makes turning them in faster. im gonna try next week to find a place not so populated. thinking the east side of STV basically its mostly mountains making it harder for people to get there. Do that and get elixr of water walking and i might have a chance.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1784 on: 08 Nov 2009, 23:16 »

Worst part about raiding is the ever chitter chatter betweens tries. People seem to have an ever growing need to repet what they just said and what everybody ells just said. 5 min try, 15 min nagging about failing. Another 5 min cus someone remembers they need to go to the bathroom just when were about to go.

Progressing Twin valkyria in ToGC 10 Heroic. But a few people fail like hell. Anoyes me as well, but what the. Let them lern by trying, not nagging. (They should be aware that they are failing since they are dead more than half the fight.)
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1785 on: 08 Nov 2009, 23:52 »

Heh, if your guildies are having trouble with the Val'kyr in ToGC10, wait until you do Anub'arak. He is simple yet unforgiving in ToTGC10; my guild groups routinely one shot him and I've only personally wiped to him twice, but the times we did wipe it was due to losing a single person due to bad frost placement/poor kiting. Once that happens he becomes rather tricky to kill in P3 since the easiest way to kill him is simply by letting the burrowers submerge and burning him down before they come back, a tactic that simply doesn't work out very well once you've lost someone.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #1786 on: 09 Nov 2009, 13:53 »

Or if you're not in full 25 + 25 heroic gear. 10 anub on heroic in 10 man gear is a serious pain in the dick, we're consistently dying at 10% or so. Hopefully killing him tonight.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1787 on: 09 Nov 2009, 13:58 »

I can believe that. We don't actually have anyone with 25 man heroic gear in my guild yet, but we're quite kitted out in the standard 25 man crusader gear. And all modesty aside, I do a hell of a lot of damage; having one or two people who can consistently sustain 7.5k+ DPS during a single target burn phase makes that fight a lot easier.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2009, 14:03 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1788 on: 09 Nov 2009, 19:02 »

Did anyone have trouble installing today's patch?

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1789 on: 09 Nov 2009, 22:25 »

We downed the lovely ladies yesterday and started on Anub. About 25 tries. 25 wipes. Interesting fight tho. Our best attempt was 23% but then our healers couldn't coup with the tank and raid damage by then. We had some problem with the dps so I went dps as well. But I don't think this on 2 healers is doable tactics. Since we're mostly 10 man geared. Some people just have to step up to the challange and increase there dps.

Elemental shamys, is the Ulduar 25 gear better the the ToC10 gear? We have an ele shamy who haven't rolled on a single piece of gear since he thinks his old ulduar 25 (non hardmode) is better. But he's strugling to do 4k dps. Something most poeple do on a lazy sunday.
-Isaac Asimov

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #1790 on: 09 Nov 2009, 22:45 »

Anub 10 is definitely 2-healable in 10 man gear, I do so pretty routinely on my shaman alt.

Also yeah, we killed 10 man heroic anub tonight. Kind of sucked b/c we had to sit our shadow priest who'd been there wiping and brought in an ele shammy who's a godawful player, but who can press heroism and drop totems. Kind of sad how broken and necessary heroism is for a lot of things.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1791 on: 09 Nov 2009, 23:31 »

DPS is stupidly important on hard mode. Too much healing in there can lead to a vicious cycle rather quickly thanks to leeching swarm. Overhealing lets Anub'arak last longer, which makes it easier to run out of mana, which further leads to the often false impression that you need to ease the healing load somehow. Overall, my guild has found that if at all possible it's better to veer on the side of doing more damage. It gets adds down faster, which makes it easier for the healers to concentrate on doing just enough healing to keep the raid alive.

clockworkjames

« Reply #1792 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:14 »

10 man HC faction champs is where my guild stops progressing, not enough good players for TotGC25 but we have TotC10 and 25 on farm, is quite depressing tbh because I feel next to useless in the fight, DR kicks in so damn fast it's not funny.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1793 on: 11 Nov 2009, 03:49 »

woo 3/5 bosses in ToGC25 down and I have long ago stopped caring about this instance oh god make it end.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1794 on: 11 Nov 2009, 04:41 »

DR?
-Isaac Asimov

clockworkjames

« Reply #1795 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:01 »

Diminishing returns.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #1796 on: 11 Nov 2009, 07:53 »

Ah... Through good comunications we have got it to work. First time it took like 20 tryes to get them down but the second time was one wipe and then no problem. Everyone was doing their jobb with purge, CC and dispells. And somehow we manage to move around the CC so DR doesn't become a problem. But you have to have people ready to wipe a few times.
-Isaac Asimov

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #1797 on: 11 Nov 2009, 10:29 »

It can be totally random depending on what comp you get, especially in 10. You can get rogue/dk/moonkin/warlock/paladin/priest and pretty much just play horribly and still win, then the next week get ret paladin/warrior/Rdruid/Rshaman/Hunter/Spriest, play amazingly and still get unmercifully RNGfucked.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1798 on: 11 Nov 2009, 10:55 »

And somehow we manage to move around the CC so DR doesn't become a problem.

This is key. It's the very beginning of the fight that's the most viciously RNG prone, and not all classes have CC abilities that overlap with each other, so in some cases you can almost completely lock down a target until one of the other nasties is burned down. Once you've knocked down one or two of the most dangerous targets you can afford to be much less organized on the rest of the fight provided you haven't lost a key healer, so the communication and Diminishing Returns thing isn't really as big of a problem as you might think provided you've got a sound plan to begin with.

For example, if my raid gets a Holy Paladin and a Resto Druid, typically we'll burn the tree first since the hots are a pain to dispel and cannot be interrupted. Meanwhile I would team up with a druid to keep the Holy Paladin locked down at least until the tree is dead. Basically, the druid spams cyclone until immune at which point I peel off from the burn target and interrupt/stun/gouge them for the 15 seconds cyclone isn't a viable option. You don't have to be perfect on it; letting a few Flash of Lights through won't be the end of the world. You just need to have a partner whose CC you can't clip and keep the 15 second windows in mind.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2009, 15:07 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #1799 on: 11 Nov 2009, 14:27 »

Our tactic goes somehting like...

"Mel you charge in and fearbomb, then lockdown the shaman while DPS tunnel the priest"

We kill the priest then wipe.

It is alot like arena, full penances through gagging order shield bashes, disarm not working before bladestorm, GCD's feeling like they are 8 minutes long...
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53   Go Up