THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 01:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651013 times)

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #2150 on: 10 May 2010, 19:31 »

If your account is being compromised that quickly after security changes, a likely scenario is that you have a keylogger on your computer, allowing the foreign party immediate access to your new passwords/emails.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2151 on: 10 May 2010, 20:10 »

I highly recommend an authenticator. Bought one as soon as I had my hacking ordeal. I basically had the same thing that happened to you, Linds, except they leveled my mining on my rogue all the way to 450 and had bags full of some awesome ore.

Also, are you by any chance using the Curse Client to download addons? I think that was a major way in for keyloggers, at least in my guild/server.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 20:12 by Yakob »

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2152 on: 11 May 2010, 01:06 »

I use the iPhone authenticator and cannot rate it highly enough. GET AN AUTHENTICATOR. Why anyone playing WoW on a windows machine doesn't have one yet is beyond me. They are good, they are fairly cheap and they protect your account - considering most of us spend stupid amounts of money on this game every year, it's a solid investment if you're at least halfway serious about the game.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2153 on: 11 May 2010, 05:14 »

They've changed my password again. I don't know how to scan my computer for keyloggers. I have a Mac, what should I look for? I deleted the AddOns I had... should I completely delete the entire wow folder?

Edit: Nevermind. I found MacScan and found some tracking cookies, so those got deleted and my mom took my laptop to work so that the Mac savvy tech people there can take a look at it too.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 09:52 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #2154 on: 11 May 2010, 06:26 »

Change the password then BUY AN AUTHENTICATOR.

Dunno if anyone else has said it.

Oh w8.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2155 on: 11 May 2010, 11:14 »

I refuse to buy an authenticator, even after getting hacked, because I feel like its stupid to have to buy an extra level of protection that becomes a liability if you don't have it because hackers can use Blizzard's own protection service against you, like what's already happened with me when they put the damn one on my account. So out of principle I'm saying fuck Blizzard on this one, I'll just have to stay vigilant with my own computer security from now on.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2156 on: 11 May 2010, 12:25 »

I would download the app for the authenticator if I had a nifty phone, but I don't really want to buy one. I don't even really want to play anymore, mostly because I don't know where I got the damn keylogger/cookie from. Whatever. I'll probably log on one more time to see what damage was done overnight, but after that I think I'm done for a while.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2157 on: 11 May 2010, 20:20 »

because hackers can use Blizzard's own protection service against you
Only if somehow they obtain your login details so it is entirely your fault for them to have it in the first place is it not? By not getting an authenticator you really are cutting off your nose to spite your face and it has little/no impact on blizz but could have a huge impact on your playing experience. You HAVE a way to stop a hacker putting an authenticator on your account (by putting your own one on it) but you choose not to because it can be exploited IF you do not do so? That's a little backwards.

I bought an authenticator before I had a cool phone, I like it as it's just a tiny little keyfob no bigger than my bike lock key. I really see no reason for someone to not use an authenticator, it costs very little and is a fantastic level of security.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2158 on: 11 May 2010, 20:35 »

Maybe one day when I'm not so paranoid to use my credit card on my own computer. That day is not today.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2159 on: 11 May 2010, 20:56 »

Seeing as you already have a keylogger on your computer (still active, apparently) I would NOT call that paranoia. I would call using your credit card to buy an authenticator completely moronic, actually.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2160 on: 12 May 2010, 05:15 »

It's not active anymore. Or at least I guess it's not. I haven't received any emails about my password changing. I downloaded MacScan yesterday and it found some tracking cookies, which is a place a keylogger can hide, so I deleted them. It seems to have taken care of the problem. But as another measure, I went ahead and changed all my passwords from another computer. So I think it is more paranoia.

I don't know. I feel like having someone break into your computer is like someone breaking into your house.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #2161 on: 17 May 2010, 04:12 »

I got hacked again so I changed my password and bought an authenticator, my account has been disabled for 24hours and the stupid bugger's put 30 days of playtime on my account, right before I buy my new computer and get playing properly again. HAH.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2162 on: 17 May 2010, 16:10 »

Well, I just got an email from Blizzard telling me all the things I am getting back on my characters. Not only did I get back all that I originally had, but I got tons of stuff back that the dude had been selling as well. Which also means I got all the profits back, too. So in addition to ~6600g, I have stacks over a thousand of two types of herbs and 70 frost lotus. Well then. I can handle this.

I think when I start playing again I'll buy all my friends mounts. Yes.

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #2163 on: 17 May 2010, 16:15 »

Congratulations on not only securing all of your lost goods but getting a bonus for being patient and having to deal with the stresses of being hacked! That rocks! I like how your keen on sharing it with your friends, I am sure they will appreciate it!
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2164 on: 17 May 2010, 16:16 »

I had a friend who essentially made 15k g by being hacked.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2165 on: 17 May 2010, 16:21 »

I'd already had about 800g more than I'd had originally, so I sent 600g to one of my friends since she doesn't farm as crazy as the others. Other than that, I may buy my druid some better armor/weapons and some enchants, but I don't really have the need for that much gold.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2166 on: 17 May 2010, 21:51 »

Urgh, lich king and the tanks are pissing me off. During the transition phases the warrior keeps intervening our pally tank to get back into position after fetching a Raging Spirit and BAM, I pull agg. Damn my sexy deeps, damn it to hell.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2167 on: 18 May 2010, 00:48 »

Anyone wanna use a scroll of resurrection on my account? I'm thinking of starting to play again now that I got my network fixed. Need something to pass the time.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2168 on: 18 May 2010, 05:46 »

Send me your email.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2169 on: 18 May 2010, 07:54 »

so I quit WoW a year ago (exactly a year ago) and I just recently check my mail and I have been receiving email from the admins saying I keep harassing someone in game and my account has been banned for about a month. so, I guess since my retirement someone has stolen my account.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

clockworkjames

« Reply #2170 on: 18 May 2010, 08:00 »

Will be spam, hover over one of the links and see if it says http://wordlllofwacraft.cn/blah blah blha

Urgh, lich king and the tanks are pissing me off. During the transition phases the warrior keeps intervening our pally tank to get back into position after fetching a Raging Spirit and BAM, I pull agg. Damn my sexy deeps, damn it to hell.
Your fault. Watch omen and here's the important part "Wait before deeps-ing".

The number of putricide pulls where people start arcane blasting and lava bursting before I have done more than a heroic throw is sickening. If a tank isn't near the boss they will be generating no threat at that moment.

Stay below 85% threat on omen3, this leaves you the 15% intervene steals and the 10% to 110% before you steal aggro, plenty of wiggle room.

If aggro is that much of a problem in transition phases thought, it might be your tanks but I am assuming they are both expertise/hit capped from 4pt10 which makes little sense :/

A guy I know through LAN got hacked but when his account was returned to him he had 30 mechanohoggs and each day in the mail he would be getting stacks of crusader orbs (It was pre ICC) and gold in the mail I think at one point he had over 70k but he kept giving it away.

Blizz caught wind of it and confiscated it though.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2171 on: 18 May 2010, 08:22 »

1 Intervene really shouldn't be a problem if your tanks are any good. We have our prot warrior spec safeguard for Soul reaper and intervene our DK tank (on arthas) almost every time it's up, and we never have threat issues.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2172 on: 18 May 2010, 13:11 »

Your fault. Watch omen and here's the important part "Wait before deeps-ing".

I do watch omen. Targeting the tank with a threat dropper just for positioning (honestly, we're not going to lose tanks to raging spirits, so the damage reduction is like whatever) when there's a whole mess of people also in the same spot frankly hits me as rather dumb considering he knows damn well one of our tanks suck. That's why he never actually targeted the other tank just to get back onto position until last night and it started catching people by surprise. He's intervened and we've lost 3-4 to a raging spirit turning around before because of the iffy agg situation. I know you wear plate too but that doesn't mean you should have your head up your butt and routinely defend people doing things because it should work. Sometimes things should work but don't.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 13:18 by Alex C »

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2173 on: 18 May 2010, 13:18 »

Man, the TR being up is just killing live arena at higher levels. We had a really rough night on my shaman's team last week (bad play, sleepiness, general bleh) and just had 20 point loss after 20 point loss, down from 2500 to around 2370. Blargh. And once you fall that far you have to farm 3-7 point wins to get your MMR and team rating back anywhere respectable.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2174 on: 18 May 2010, 13:20 »

Stay below 85% threat on omen3, this leaves you the 15% intervene steals and the 10% to 110% before you steal aggro, plenty of wiggle room.

We'd never down anything without getting a new offtank. Seriously.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2175 on: 18 May 2010, 14:57 »

Whenever I try to log in it tells me that it is Unable to connect and if it persists to contact technical support.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2176 on: 18 May 2010, 15:31 »

so I quit WoW a year ago (exactly a year ago) and I just recently check my mail and I have been receiving email from the admins saying I keep harassing someone in game and my account has been banned for about a month. so, I guess since my retirement someone has stolen my account.

Well at least you weren't paying for it? I guess?

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2177 on: 18 May 2010, 19:31 »

So I've been doing some GKP runs (have I explained these in here before? You go, all loot that drops is bid on with ingame gold and the gold pot at the end is split between the raiders. Essentially you're getting paid to raid) of ICC25. The group I've been going with is run extremely well and downed 6 bosses last night. I bought the dagger off Marrowgar (the Frozen Bonespike) for 6k, got 3.7k for raiding and ended up with enough frost badges to pick up the Circle of Ossus. I caved in and got the Talisman of Resurgence, because damn, trinkets are hard to come by and this seems like a good option. I ran a few dps tests before shutdown and hit 10k self buffed with flask. Pretty happy with that, before it maxed out at around 9, so it's definitely an improvement, but I would like to see how it goes in raid.

Jumped guilds too, the guild I went back to was so full and didn't have any spots for me and I wasn't raiding with them. Swapped to another guild with a friend, and said friend has a fairly high influence in the guild, and he says that the raiding isn't exactly top notch, but it's a fun group of people and awesome guild. So I might get to run some 10mans with them.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2178 on: 18 May 2010, 19:39 »

I love GDKP runs. They're really expensive if you're after a big-ticket item (I bought my DBW for 15k) but it's a guarantee if you bring enough money that you can get what you want. Luck is fickle, hooray money!

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2179 on: 18 May 2010, 20:18 »

Yeah, one of the warlocks paid 20k for the offhand off of Blood Princes. Everyone was pretty happy about that.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2180 on: 18 May 2010, 21:33 »

Wow, usually only see trinkets and/or heroic gunship items going for that much. Sometimes a neck/ring/weapon I guess, but that's a ton just for an OH.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2181 on: 18 May 2010, 21:57 »

Still, if you have the gold what else are you going to use it for? I'm sitting on 40k right now and I haven't done dailies in ages.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2182 on: 18 May 2010, 22:05 »

Yeah, I mean, it's a BiS, but I didn't expect it to go THAT high.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2183 on: 23 May 2010, 12:24 »

Welp, I apparently got hacked sometime last night. My warrior was transferred from Greymane to Vashj, my shaman may have been deleted since I didn't get a transfer notification, password changed, account suspended (which is a good thing I guess). Sent an e-mail to customer service, expecting to hear back in a few years. Le sighs. Not looking forward to getting PR back up on my arena teams (which thankfully still exist, I wasn't the captain for most of them). Grinding 2400-2500 PR sucks.

I guess I just hope I log back into something like this http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj392/Maniabe12/WoWScrnShot_123109_162105.jpg

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2184 on: 23 May 2010, 13:13 »

Replace all those green things with Icethorn and that's what I came back to (the first time, I'm assuming they're still there). Hopefully you get everything (and more) back. :c I'd say call, but the phone wait is annoyingly long and I dunno if they'd be able to fix it.

I think I'll be buying an authenticator sometime this week and start playing again.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2185 on: 23 May 2010, 14:19 »

Yeah I'll be authenticator-ing as soon as my account is actually mine again.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2186 on: 23 May 2010, 21:53 »

So how are so many of you guys getting hacked?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2187 on: 23 May 2010, 22:44 »

No idea. I'm probably one of 4 mac users in the world who actually regularly scans for malware, I don't get phished and I don't download silly things or visit suspicious sites. Came out of nowhere it seems.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2188 on: 23 May 2010, 23:18 »

Weirdly, many of the people I know who've lost their accounts lately have been mac users. Of course, as Dazed hinted at, some neophyte mac users have a false sense of security and fall prey to things that don't really have much to do with how sound the OS is.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2189 on: 23 May 2010, 23:35 »

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten hacked by a grue.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2190 on: 24 May 2010, 00:42 »

Well, I mostly meant stupid browser tricks, but grue work.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2191 on: 24 May 2010, 03:12 »

My boy's account has been hacked again. He got yet another lecture about not having an authenticator and how buying gold is bad. Apparently his account was taken over and was suspended for chat spamming. My point has been proven. Maybe he'll listen to me this time.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2192 on: 24 May 2010, 05:10 »

I honestly still don't know where I got that keylogger. (Possibly an addon?) But for whatever reason, I didn't have my firewall up, so I guess I deserved it. Also it led me to getting MacScan, so I don't think I'll be as lazy with my computer security anymore. In a way, I'm just glad it was WoW and not something like my bank account.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2194 on: 27 May 2010, 13:11 »

Sweet! Hooray for newly discovered sea creatures.

Also bought an authenticator. Expecting it in the mail any day now...

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2195 on: 28 May 2010, 17:15 »

Looks like my jokes turned around and bit me in the ass because I was hacked.  Don't know how.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2196 on: 28 May 2010, 19:09 »

What the crap is with all the hacks recently? Does anyone know how their accounts were compromised? All I can think of was maybe a bug in an addon, but even that's a stretch, because of how long I'd had the newest ones before I got hacked (at least 2 months).

Hope you get it sorted out and then end up with a nice bonus like I did at the end.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2197 on: 28 May 2010, 20:39 »

Went all out with the scans and not a single keylogger found.  I really have no clue.  Changed my email and WoW passwords and now I'm just waiting on an email back from the technical support to remove the authenticator.  I should probably buy one for myself.

Getting stuff back should be fun at least.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2198 on: 28 May 2010, 20:55 »

I really do have no clue how they got to me.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2199 on: 30 May 2010, 10:53 »

Well I came back to nothing at all.  Guild Bank, inventory, even my trinkets and rings were gone.  Now I have to wait "7-9 days" to get everything back.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Up