THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 03:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 651089 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #2250 on: 17 Jun 2010, 14:54 »

It just annoys me that so many of our players got all pissy because we wiped on H-DW a few times. It's not like that fight is known for being easy.

And yeah, we've been running with a scrubby combat rogue for a month or so now, and he's basically going to forever be relegated to "the new guy" status in my mind until we can get someone to replace him. He doesn't switch targets well and near as I can tell he doesn't interrupt unless you put him in some kinda rotation like on LDW. The target switching thing is the real biggy, and it's most glaringly obvious when we're doing H-Dreamwalker. I'll grant you that I outgear him a bit, but even if I get stuck running half way across the room constantly due to RNG my worst case scenario on that fight is usually in the high 8k DPS range with the same talent build. With Tricks and FoK+CD spam I can practically mop up the maggots single handedly while still auto-attacking something more important. Meanwhile this joker does around 5k-ish on a good day and the side he's meant to watchdog has Archmages cheerfully casting Frostbolt Volley all over the place. WTF.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 14:56 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #2251 on: 19 Jun 2010, 08:31 »

dps on DW is dumb when they overtake a tank on aggro, after 5 stacks tanks do nothign but get hit, do damage and interrupt, no tps. The whole point of the adds is so you can dps them when you are about to overtake on aggro and all your aggro dumps/MD's are on cd.

It's just idiots tha get killed it seems, or people that stand next to idiots.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2252 on: 19 Jun 2010, 15:05 »

Depends a bit on the tank setup. We finally managed to recruit a couple of quality warrior tanks,* so they can handle most of the interrupting now, which lets me play it just like any other melee dps. But back when we had mostly paladin tanks it was a real pain in the ass handling the interrupts while still making sure some dipshit isn't going to train a ghost on my ass in the meantime. That's something of a special case though; rogues are well suited to working around the threat situation on that fight and handling the interrupts full time if the tanks aren't warriors. Between proper use of Tricks, Vanish, and the random Mind Controls we're kinda unique in our ability to actually just sit on Deathwhisper and do what we do. I much prefer just letting the tanks and the mutilate rogue handle it though. Things have smoothed up a lot now that I can go pummel crap out of things with my cooldowns a bit more freely. Well, right up until we wipe again anyway. Fuck LDW.

*I love having warrior tanks again. I can tricks+fok them so as far as I'm concerned they may as well be just as good at AoE tanking as a paladin in many situations, they bring sunders (our dps warriors are notorious slackers on the sunder front), and they can participate in kick rotations. Oh, and we don't wipe because the healers are dumb and were slow to dispel Silence off the tank so he can get the Raging Spirit.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2010, 15:21 by Alex C »

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2253 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:00 »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D I did all of Midsummer tonight (except for one of the acheivements I already had from last year) and it's completed my What A Long Strange Trip It's Been.

PEEEEEENK!

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 08:01 by jmrz »
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

clockworkjames

« Reply #2254 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:10 »

I was pissed cuz I think I got mine less than a week after ulduar 310% speed mount, seemed like such an anti climax :( Use the 2 seater rokkit now FWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #2255 on: 21 Jun 2010, 15:24 »

nice, jmrz.  that's a long wait for a sweet looking ride.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2256 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:16 »

Sweeeeeeeeet. I may have to work on that tonight!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2257 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:52 »

nice, jmrz.  that's a long wait for a sweet looking ride.

It's taken me two years. TWO YEARS. I was so ridiculously excited when I finally completed it. Also mildly annoyed that WoW decided to crash the last three times I got an achievement.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2258 on: 22 Jun 2010, 04:26 »

Anyone else having trouble with the patch?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2259 on: 22 Jun 2010, 05:58 »

It feels slower for whatever reason. But if people are having a problem with it, there'll probably be another one soon.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2260 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:48 »

I am getting this error:

"The patch "enUS\DBFilesClient\Item.dbc" could not be applied. (Invalid source file size: expected 1475061, actual 1284756."

I searched the wow forum and followed various GM/Blue's instructions and nothing has worked.  Really don't want to reinstall.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2261 on: 22 Jun 2010, 16:19 »

Could this be the pre 3.3.5 patch?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2262 on: 22 Jun 2010, 16:41 »

Whatever it is, they're still doing something to the game...and we won't find out will what for a little bit longer.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2263 on: 22 Jun 2010, 16:51 »

This is the 3.3.5 patch, for US anyway. Ruby sanctum isn't going into effect until next week though, because 3.3.5 isn't taking effect on EU until then.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2264 on: 22 Jun 2010, 19:17 »

No more AVR. Boo.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2265 on: 22 Jun 2010, 21:41 »

No more AVR. YAY!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2266 on: 23 Jun 2010, 10:44 »

I don't know why you would dislike AVR. My guildmates are dumb enough as it is WITH the addon, much less without it. I don't really mind losing it that much on a personal level, since as a rogue I just feint or cloak through half the shit in the game anyway. But about a 1/3rd of my guildmates? They're going to die. A lot.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2267 on: 23 Jun 2010, 14:09 »

Tell them to stop standing in fire?

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2268 on: 23 Jun 2010, 14:38 »

That's why I dislike it. I know it's silly for a fairly casual 10 man raider to be all up in arms about it, but if you're such a braindead tunnel visioner that you need giant colored circles painted all over the game telling you where to go or what to not stand in, you don't deserve to kill bosses and get purples. That's all there is to it in my opinion.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2269 on: 23 Jun 2010, 14:51 »

Yeah, see, 10 mans are stupid easy and you can easily filter out the morons. With 25 people on one of the 2 or 3 worst servers? Not so much.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2270 on: 23 Jun 2010, 14:54 »

I mean, really, we did 10 man hard mode princes and cleared it with a single warlock as ranged deeps. The game is easy. At this point, I really just want to get the gear because I already know how to do all of this shit and I'm tired of rotating in a new guy who has to learn everything every week because people don't show up.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2271 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:36 »

10 mans are stupid easy? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I personally think 10 man LK/Sind are harder than 25, at least in terms of the gear you're supposed to have doing them (i.e. not 25 man hardmode raiders stomping all over 10 man content).

As to you having to deal with more morons, and just wanting the gear, well, that's what you signed up for doing 25 man raiding, and it's also one of the main arguments for equalizing gear across 10s and 25s (and why I prefer 10s). I don't think dumbing down the game even more is the right way to go, given how relatively easy (as you pointed out) it already is.

EDIT: by the way, I do understand your frustration. I was a 40-man raider for a long time before I was a 25-man raider for a long time before I was a 10-man raider. I hate carrying bad players in 25s, and constantly dealing the burnout of myself and my friends. I highly recommend finding a group of solid/friendly/drama-free dudes and ladies, and going off and playing casually/raiding 10s/pvping/fucking around in general until cat, and then on throughout. It's a lot more fun and less frustrating.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2010, 15:42 by Dazed »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2272 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:57 »

I think that's why I never did many 25/40-man raids. I just think it's easier to fix a problem with a bad player in a 10 man because then you know exactly who it is that's messing up and you can either tell them how to fix it or just straight up replace them. But then again, I just get lost in the mob in 25-man raids. I know the gear is better, but I don't really care about the gear, I care about the experience of running the instance.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2273 on: 23 Jun 2010, 22:25 »

I'm up to 1275 Armor Penetration now. That's a pretty damn nice number for a rogue, since unlike druids only 2 of our set pieces actually have ArPen and we don't get quite as much stats out of our weapons as fury warriors.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2274 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:03 »

Rogues can do decent dps with no arp, warriors need over 80% for it to be competative.

But then it just becomes fucking retarded numbers.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2275 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:23 »

Yeah, it wasn't meant as a complaint, but an explanation. 1275 isn't that impressive of a number for some classes, after all, so it was really just about putting it into context. Telling a Feral Druid "I have 80%" ArPen will probably just elicit a "What took you so long?" if they don't know much about other class's gear, after all. Even their 251 tier 10 sports nearly 400 armor penetration, although I don't really begrudge them for it, since they rather need it to keep up.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2276 on: 24 Jun 2010, 22:07 »

I swear I'm going to poop down the neck of the next melee that screws up on Sindy. She's not even that hard as melee.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #2277 on: 26 Jun 2010, 05:00 »

Hey, lot of nerd rage there Alex. "It is after all only a game".

And the argument for 25 vs 10 is usually:
-In 10-man, if one man screwed up it's 1/10 of the raid, takes three people to screw up that much in 25.
-It's easier to find r-tards to fill out a 25-man. Or rather, it's easier to find 10 good people than to find 25 good people.

And quite alot of people complaing about how easy 10-man is come and do it with 25-man gear. The usuall argument fromt he 25-man people in that case is "but I didn't have that much gear from ICC 25 back then". No but you most likely had 25-ToC or HToC gear.
This is why it will be better in CATA. Everyone have the same gear and we can really discuss if it's easier in 10 or 25. And in most cases Blizz will adjust it so that it will be equally hard if it's not before.

But then again, wow is almost dead to me. 31 days left till Starcraft II.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2278 on: 26 Jun 2010, 07:19 »

Man that wasn't even close to nerd rage.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2279 on: 26 Jun 2010, 07:24 »

Yeah, 'twas a joke, really.

Anyway, I was a strictly 10 man guy before I was recruited up to 25 man ulduar raiding. While stupid easy was a bit of an exaggeration, the lowered need to recruit filler thing was huge on my server. Again, I'm on one of the two or three worst servers in WoW. My old guild had a rough enough time with kick rotations on Vezax some nights, for god's sake. And with my current guild we still get RNG pwned by Sindy whenever the Frost Orbs targets some of our bads. Attendance is pretty much the hardest thing about 25 mans, to the point where I don't mind a few guys running around on training wheels if that's what it takes.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2010, 10:13 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2280 on: 26 Jun 2010, 09:41 »

I am still kind of pissed I've never been able to run any of the 10-mans in WotLK. And I can't do any of the high level ones, because I don't have good enough gear to do any of the ones that people still run. I still have things I can do, but I want Cataclysm to hurry up and come out so I can actually do things as they come out instead of trying to catch up to everyone else on the server.

So other than raiding (which I can't really do) and running random heroics (which I do quite a bit and haven't been able to find much gear), what's a good way to upgrade? Here's my character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Elune&cn=Meabh
I plan on checking out the Icecrown 5-mans, but I'm not sure if I'd do ok in those or not.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2281 on: 26 Jun 2010, 11:27 »

Your best bet would be tier 9 and the other gear that you can buy from the triumph badges you get from doing 5mans.

Another thing that'll do a lot of good for you would maybe be fixing up your talent specs a bit. It's typically a general rule to not dump all/most of your points in one tree. WoW Popular is a really good place to find basic cookie-cutter-type builds and also gives good suggestions on glyphs and other stuff like that.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2282 on: 26 Jun 2010, 13:30 »

Yeah, you should familiarize yourself with builds and tinker around with a reputable spreadsheet a bit if you have the time. For now though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The top boomkin builds are as good as they are due to Intellect synergy and the sheer number of buffs you can get in a raid setting-- Intellect buffs, Kings, and Replenishment can team up together so well that a geared chicken doesn't have to worry much about mana anymore and Lunar Guidance makes 'em hit like a truck. It's been a long time since I touched my boomkin, but if I remember right a build like this* will definitely outperform your current one in a raid, but in a 5 man setting the advantage will be fairly marginal unless the group is composed just so. Ultimately it's stuff like Eclipse that makes or breaks a 5 man boomkin, and you already have that.

*I left a couple points loose there because the AoE talents aren't so hot if your mana regen sucks and you need to put points into Intensity. People mix and match those all the time.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2010, 13:38 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2283 on: 26 Jun 2010, 13:42 »

My mana regen is actually pretty decent. I almost never run out and lately I've been noticing I rarely go past half. And all of the points you spent in resto I think I will pick up, but I'd have to keep certain things you didn't take - such as typhoon, which I do use (I have a glyph that takes away the pushback).

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2284 on: 26 Jun 2010, 15:35 »

Yeah, the Typhoon glyph is pretty hot, and AoE is one of the prime reasons why I kept those 2 points loose. Hell, if you really wanted to you could make a case for swapping a point from Omen of Clarity to really max out your AoEs. It's really just a matter of context. For 5 mans, the difference between having a full suite of AoE talents and having a couple points in intensity wouldn't amount to much difference on your mana bar. But in a raid setting with your level of gear having Clarity and a couple of points of Intensity can let you keep casting for an extra minute or two, which is either awesome or useless depending on the length of the fight or whether or not you're expected to use Innervate on someone else. Eventually with enough gear you can just blow off even Moonglow and just ride Replenishment and your ridiculously huge mana pool. My guildmate Khaldei just keeps casting. And casting. And casting. But then, it's sorta necessary considering how long some fights can take.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2010, 15:47 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #2285 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:31 »

You don't go oom because of the amount of spirit/mp5 you have.

Use your tree spec, run as many hc's as you possibly can (fast q's as healer yo) then buy all the ilv 245 badge gear you can.

Profit.

Chances are you will get an icc geared tank anyways who will skip any bosses that he can meaning faster runs, but you will still get more badgers per hour since you get 2 on completion of the run.

You can average 1 badge per 3 mins if you get good groups and go non stop. If you controll WG you also get shards which you can trade for honour and then for epic gems to use with your gear, that and an enchanter could mean lots of mats to ench your new gear. If not roll greed, sell it to a vendor to pay rep billz.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2286 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:25 »

Ok, I revamped both trees, so I hope that is a bit better. I didn't go exactly with what you had, because of the spells I don't use anymore and I can always do it again later if it doesn't work out.

Yeah, I have a lot of spirit/mp5, but I built it up because I burn through mana pretty fast when I don't. I don't think I've had to really take a mana break on my druid in a loooong time, which is something I have to do a lot with my shaman. (It's so annoying! But I'm only level 32, so that is also part of it, I think. Also I'm enhancement, so it's not TOO big of an issue.)

I will be running a lot of instances for the time being. On my druid to get gear and on my shaman because I can't stand Stranglethorn Vale (only because there is no other option for zones for a few levels). Also they are fun!

clockworkjames

« Reply #2287 on: 28 Jun 2010, 10:54 »

mp5 is healer gear, dps should not roll on/use it.

Spirit... similar but different.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2288 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:16 »

What spec do you prefer running as, anyway? As currently constructed I like your gear better for trees than boomkin with all that spirit. If you're having no problems with Trial of the Champion normal you should definitely look into doing the heroic mode and the ICC 5 man normals since they drop Uld 10 grade loot. Between the 3 ICC instances there's 5 different weapons in there that would all be upgrades for you. You already have a healthy chunk of spellpower and Spirit for healing so the Unspeakable Secret stands out as something that would work nicely for both your specs.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 12:26 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2289 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:40 »

Not all of my gear is up there, because I have a few healing oriented pieces in my bags. Mostly I run around as a boomkin, because PvE as a tree is silly. But like I said, I've had problems finding upgrades in general, so when a leather (or cloth) drops that will work and there's no priests, mages, or shaman around that want them, I take them. But generally I run heroics as whichever I get chosen for (mostly healing). Do I want two dedicated sets? Yes. Very much so. I use both specs equally compared to how much time I play.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2290 on: 28 Jun 2010, 13:07 »

Just asking because really your most limiting factor will be how you spend your emblems, since that'll really be the only stuff you can choose the order you get things with.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2291 on: 28 Jun 2010, 15:18 »

Also, that weapon looks pretty good! I forgot to mention that.

For emblems, I'll probably go with healer gear. Leather healing gear isn't the easiest thing to find, so I'll be starting out with that. I do decent enough damage with what I have as a boomkin, so questing and dpsing is still pretty easy, but my healing could be better in the higher end heroics.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2292 on: 28 Jun 2010, 18:25 »

One of the nice things about Improved Moonkin Form is that you get 30% of your Spirit back as spell damage. So while a true healing gear set will never be top notch, it's plenty fine for doing solo dailies with an offset. The only stats that I would really consider truly mutually exclusive between the trees are hit rating and mp5.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 18:44 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2293 on: 28 Jun 2010, 20:34 »

Bought this and this tonight. Didn't get anything good out of the randoms, but I'm saving frost emblems and hoping for a decent weapon drop.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2294 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:14 »

ToC 25 pug for trink for pvp, I tank but people agree to let me roll on the trink as it is all I need. After FC I did not change my gear back from a mix of dps and arena gear by accident and the after we pulled I realised my hp was only 41k buffed.

Did you know in a pug full of bads it's acceptable for a tank with some icc10/25 gear, NES and a welfare direbrew dps trink beat 17 other DPS in toc?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4740636234_98def4646a_b.jpg

I think not. But anyways the trink drops and 15 people roll on it and it goes to some scrub ret pala with an unenchanted ungemmed tyrannical beheader :D

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2295 on: 29 Jun 2010, 13:40 »

Man, I know that fight favors cleave pretty heavily but that just ain't right. People should definitely be able to hit 10k+ on that one at this point. I was doing it ages ago in Heroic mode with a combat offspec.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2010, 13:53 by Alex C »

clockworkjames

« Reply #2296 on: 29 Jun 2010, 15:28 »

Fury warriors have cleave too... and whirlwind... and 2handers... and dps gear with stupid amounts of arp.

Never seen a bloodlust over 20k though, and I get over double that cleaved in 1 shot? With dots ticking and the cleave on top of revenge that must be ~100k in 1 gcd.

Buff prot I says.

lololololololol

[edit] napkin maths says if one swung at me that global, rend ticked on 1 and deep wounds ticked on both... I would be doing 105000 damage in 1.5 seconds so 70k dps gogogogogogo now am a mage lol.

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2010, 15:35 by clockworkjames »

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2297 on: 29 Jun 2010, 15:34 »

Hmm seems like they opened RS early for the US.

Or did EU patch today?
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2010, 15:39 by Cire27 »

clockworkjames

« Reply #2298 on: 29 Jun 2010, 15:57 »

EU patching NAIO. servers went down 1 hour ago.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2299 on: 29 Jun 2010, 16:04 »

I can't play on my server today. It's kind of lame, but hey! Exciting things!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Up