THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 931224 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #100 on: 08 Aug 2008, 08:09 »

Hey, I like cardigans, on both guys and girls. Actually, I like sweaters in general. Not the super ugly ones, but solid or argyle sweaters are most awesome.

When the waistline is actually below the buttocks, I can only suppose that they are being held up at the front, presumably by an erection.

HAHAHA!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #101 on: 08 Aug 2008, 08:47 »

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #102 on: 08 Aug 2008, 11:18 »

Question. Tank tops for guys, good or not good?
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #103 on: 08 Aug 2008, 11:24 »

Bad, unless you are running around outside or working out.  Basically situations you could take your shirt off but you would rather not. 

As a Shirt replacement, not at all.

*edit*

And Sam care to elabourate in a private message so as to not clog up this topic.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2008, 11:26 by Chesire Cat »
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #104 on: 08 Aug 2008, 11:28 »

Can look good, but not a lot of people can pull it off, imho, especially if wearing nothing else over it. I find it looks best on people with a very specific build - skinny, but slightly muscly, and some other factor I cannot really put into words.

ETA: I'm talking as a "t-shirt replacement" here.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #105 on: 08 Aug 2008, 11:31 »

Any potential for showing armpit hair should be avoided, without question, in every situation (save for times such as swimming, or when you absolutely must be unclothed). So either shave, or don't wear sleeveless tops. That goes for girls and guys both.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #106 on: 08 Aug 2008, 11:45 »

So, tank tops replacing shirts with a vest or even a cardigan would look good. Thank you everyone.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #107 on: 08 Aug 2008, 11:49 »

Any potential for showing armpit hair should be avoided, without question, in every situation (save for times such as swimming, or when you absolutely must be unclothed). So either shave, or don't wear sleeveless tops. That goes for girls and guys both.

I really hope you don't mean that guys should shave their armpits if they want to wear tank tops. Because please don't! Trimming, maaybe, but no shaving, unless there's a good reason to (apparently it can make swimmers faster?). I don't think armpit hair on guys is bad at all, but then again, I also don't mind guys legs, so what do I know?

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #108 on: 08 Aug 2008, 12:08 »

I honestly think that armpit hair is weird and guys look better without it, too.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #109 on: 08 Aug 2008, 12:09 »

Legs I'm fine with. There's something about pit hair, though, that's just plain gross. Especially in larger-than-average quantities.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #110 on: 08 Aug 2008, 12:26 »

I find I get positive reviews when I trim my nipple and pit hair, and get rid of the manbush down under.  They are good things regardless of the situation.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #111 on: 08 Aug 2008, 12:31 »

After having shaved armpits since whenever it was I started shaving, I find armpit hair odd. How does deodorant work if hair is in the way? I think everyone looks better without, but I know both guys and girls who don't shave it at all. (There is only one girl and she doesn't shave her legs either. I forget her reasoning, but kudos to her.)

As for tank tops, sleeveless shirts are better than actual tank tops on guys, unless they are working out or being used as an undershirt. The cut of them just seems feminine to me for whatever reason.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #112 on: 08 Aug 2008, 12:34 »

Not to mention sleeves optional is totally punk rock and a way to breath new life into a shirt with pit stains or armpit holes.  Where as tank tops are usually an accessory to gelled hair, so I'll leave judgment up to you the reader on that one.

mooface

« Reply #113 on: 08 Aug 2008, 18:32 »

ugh why are we talking about pit hair.  gross!

tanks on guys are also gross.  i may partly think this because the only guys i see wearing then are pretty nasty, and so i then associate the tanks with their ickyness.  but i mostly just think they look dumb.

sorry guys, apparently i think all forms of clothing which keeps you cool looks ugly :( 
(although sam, i like your shorts.  unfortunately, i don't most people could really pull them off)

btw, thanks guys for your reassurances on the skirt/shirt dilemma!

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #114 on: 08 Aug 2008, 18:47 »

No. As Linds said, it's still very much a fashion, unfortunately, among a large segment of young males, whether urban or suburban. Generally you see it with people who listen to copious amounts of gangsta rap--i.e., rap that has no meaning.

Here it's smart students trying to be trendy.  When the waistline is actually below the buttocks, I can only suppose that they are being held up at the front, presumably by an erection.

If you are buying jeans at the Gap then you are most likely not following this trend... there are stores that cater to that.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #115 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:25 »

Man, I will wear a singlet if it is quite warm or if I am going to be doing something where I am likely to be quite warm. I kind of have the shoulders and chest to pull it off but no man should ever wear a tank top. They are wholly undignified and if you wear one, you are probably a jerk (as in there is probably a positive correlation with how often you wear tank tops and how much of a cocksnout you are). Singlets are ok if it is really warm out. Tank tops look ridiculous on guys.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Thlayli

« Reply #116 on: 08 Aug 2008, 21:54 »

You would walk around in a skintight wrestling outfit before putting on a tanktop? I love your priorities, man.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #117 on: 08 Aug 2008, 22:03 »

Alright, so, hair question. Basically I've been doing the same thing with my hair since I was like 10/11/12 years old, somewhere in there. And basically I don't really know if it works for me the best, or I don't really know what to do to it to make it best looking on me.

Here are some pictures of me and my hair and various junctures in the past year or so with my hair at different lengths and such. Basically just what I want to know is which way it looks best on me or possible ways to alter it that would make it look better. Those alterations could be slight changes or complete overhauls on the way I have my hair, if it's a good idea.

Beginning of last semester after a decent trim
Just an intermittent hair picture.
Several months ago before most recent haircut
Most recent picture of me, about a week old

And just for some time references:
This is me sans beard and with fairly short hair, probably 2 years old, maybe 1 and a half, I have a bad concept of time.
Just a really old picture, possibly 14 or 15 years old?
Oldest picture of me I could find, with really bad haircut.

But yeah, any advice on that, or even advice on anything else about how I look or what I wear would be cool too, I guess. I'm not exactly the most fashion minded person.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #118 on: 08 Aug 2008, 22:08 »

I have a feeling a singlet means slightly different things in Australia (as well as in Norway) and the US.

A singlet to me is a tank top with thinner straps. But I have a feeling that's not what he means either, because why would a tank top be bad if a singlet is okay?

This is, to me, an example of wearing a tank top and looking good. I'm not a huge fan of the top itself, but the fit and the body type wearing it describes what I was talking about earlier.

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #119 on: 08 Aug 2008, 22:44 »

Um, I suck at hair. Or any thing else for that matter, but based off what has been presented "several months before most recent hair cut" is the best. But I also like the idea of shorter hair... follow your heart?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #120 on: 08 Aug 2008, 23:04 »

Clothing choices I can't behind:

Cardigans on guys. Ok, short, fitted cardigans, sure. Fine. Ill fitting ones, no. Thin, overly big ones, no. Big dorky thick ones?

No.

Tank Thong. Have you seen this? It graces American Apparel's site, as well as their stores. I'm not a big fan of thongs by themselves, but adding shoulder straps to hold it even further up your butt? I just don't understand the practically of this. It can't be comfortable.

Brightly, annoyingly, patterned tight denim. Ok, admittedly, girls look better in this than guys, and can usually pull it off, given the correct body type. Guys can not at all ever pull this off. Super tight, "side pipe" showing pants are not hot guys. Fitted jeans, sure. Yes, very attractive. Not pants that hurt when you sit down. Please stay away from these.

Short shorts on men. A conversation from the blog where I got this picture sums up how I feel about them.

"i would be afraid my testicles would fall out of the shorts if i moved the wrong way.
    September 10, 2007 3:29 AM"

"as long as i can gaze at some sculpted legs like that, it's okay by me.
and if the mouse comes out of the house, well, that's just extra frosting on the cupcake.
     September 10, 2007 9:27 PM"

Please. Please, keep your mice in their homes.

Big, nerdy glasses. Ok, I understand that for some reason, think black rims have been in style for quick sometime. Now really huge glasses are in style? I dislike people wearing glasses unnecessarily. It doesn't make sense to me. I guess my brain equates it to someone wearing a arm cast for fashion reasons. Why would you do it?

Also, check out these sweet shorts I found while searching men's shorts.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2008, 23:06 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #121 on: 08 Aug 2008, 23:18 »

This thread makes me miss Kieffer.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #122 on: 08 Aug 2008, 23:30 »

So, tank tops replacing shirts with a vest or even a cardigan would look good. Thank you everyone.
Vests should only be worn over button down shirts and tank tops are for trash.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #123 on: 08 Aug 2008, 23:58 »

Upon further investigation it would seem that we are using different terms for very similar items of clothing.

When I think of "tank tops" I think of these monstrosities with the spagetti strings or similarly thin straps

When I say "singlet" I mean something like this

Though one would hope to look significantly less douchey.

Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #124 on: 09 Aug 2008, 00:27 »

Oh my god.  That guy's package looks like a banana.  Boy should not wear yellow underpants.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Thlayli

« Reply #125 on: 09 Aug 2008, 07:22 »

Upon further investigation it would seem that we are using different terms for very similar items of clothing.

Oh, wow yes. I've never seen a man wearing a shirt like that first one outside the Castro district in San Francisco. The second one is what most Americans would identify as a tank top.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #126 on: 09 Aug 2008, 08:51 »

This thread makes me miss Kieffer.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #127 on: 09 Aug 2008, 08:56 »

Big, nerdy glasses. Ok, I understand that for some reason, think black rims have been in style for quick sometime. Now really huge glasses are in style? I dislike people wearing glasses unnecessarily. It doesn't make sense to me. I guess my brain equates it to someone wearing a arm cast for fashion reasons. Why would you do it?

[IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/andlemonade/glasses.jpg[img]

I actually really like those glasses, and if I hadn't literally just bought a new pair last week I would consider getting some of these and then having lenses fitted.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #128 on: 09 Aug 2008, 08:57 »

As for tank tops, sleeveless shirts are better than actual tank tops on guys, unless they are working out or being used as an undershirt.

I would extend your point to sleeveless shirts myself. I own one sleeveless shirt that I wear to go to the gym or during manual labor like moving, but if I wear it any other times I feel really self conscious.

öde

« Reply #129 on: 09 Aug 2008, 10:09 »

Thank you Dan, for showing me something I cannot get but really want. Thanks a lot.

You're welcome! If it helps, I think they'd really suit you too.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #130 on: 09 Aug 2008, 11:05 »

Actually, for me sleeveless shirts dont work (i have the shoulders of a squirrel). Not covering them up in a tshirt makes for weirdness imo).

Oh, and also on the brightly patterned things front. They give me headaches (yay, a body is moving, every differnt square is doing its own thing). Only redeeming factors for them is that if worn by an attractive lady, the lady is still attractive. (And yes, walking upto her and asking if she wants to help with my headache would actually be a really corny pickupline.)
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2008, 11:10 by Verergoca »
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #131 on: 09 Aug 2008, 11:28 »

Is your Avatar a naked picture of yourself?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #132 on: 09 Aug 2008, 11:36 »

Yep.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #133 on: 09 Aug 2008, 15:34 »

I actually really like those glasses, and if I hadn't literally just bought a new pair last week I would consider getting some of these and then having lenses fitted.

You can wear those glasses. You need glasses. But people who wear glasses because its cool frustrate the hell out of me.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

öde

« Reply #134 on: 09 Aug 2008, 15:53 »

Why? I don't really see how it's different from any other accessory, like the finger sweatband I'm currently wearing.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #135 on: 09 Aug 2008, 15:58 »

Seriously? A finger sweatband?

mooface

« Reply #136 on: 09 Aug 2008, 16:08 »

i really like wearing glasses.  i also really like wearing sunglasses.  i do not feel like paying $200+ for prescription lenses for sunglasses i will probably end up losing or breaking.

i am seriously considering getting contacts and wearing fake glasses.   it's an aesthetic thing, and i willingly admit it. i look way better with glasses than without so i don't really care if it makes me an asshole.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #137 on: 09 Aug 2008, 16:42 »

That's part of the reason that I am getting contact lenses. I like wearing sunglasses. I just see nothing when I do.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #138 on: 09 Aug 2008, 16:47 »

Speaking of douche-y accessories, Band-Aids and Chipped Nail Polish:

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/84265

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #139 on: 09 Aug 2008, 16:49 »

Getting contacts and wearing fake glasses would be hilarious. Everyone who knows you will be like "why aren't you wearing your contacts?" and you'll be like "yes I am."

mooface

« Reply #140 on: 09 Aug 2008, 17:04 »

chipped nail polish is one of my biggest pet peeves ever.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2008, 17:28 by mooface »

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #141 on: 09 Aug 2008, 17:09 »

my vision is really terrible. like, appalling. 99% of the time i do nothing to correct it and just sort of make do because i am kind of vain and i look much better without glasses than with them. a few weeks ago i finally made an appointment with an optometrist and decided i'd be willing to spend money on either contact lenses or a nice pair of glasses, but not both, and i really cannot do contant lenses because i always have problems with them like forgetting to put them in in the mornings or take them out at night and then i wake up and my eyeballs are on fire. i went with the glasses and everyone has been telling me the last few weeks how great they are but i still think i look fucking ridiculous. more and more i  have really been considering getting laser eye surgery done just so i don't have to deal with constantly being annoyed by glasses and contact lenses anymore. i'm not normally this picky when it comes to my appearance but glasses are one of those rare things i've never been able to get used to, despite always having bad vision. they make me feel like i've got an enormous zit on my face that everybody is staring at.

basically what i am trying to say is that i am jealous of everyone who looks good in glasses.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #142 on: 09 Aug 2008, 17:23 »

I have the same problem and when I don't have them on I get mad heavy headaches. So, I pretty much always have a headache.

mooface

« Reply #143 on: 09 Aug 2008, 17:34 »

you guys are weird.  i don't think i've actually ever seen people look bad because of glasses (unless the glasses were just really ugly).  i know a few people who need glasses and never wear them because they think they look dumb - and most of them actually looked better with them than without!

then again i've been wearing glasses since second grade (7 years old).  so i guess it's a whole lot easier for me to be used to them since i've been wearing them almost all my life rather than suddenly having to start wearing them at an age where i was actually concerned about my appearance.  maybe you guys just need to give it some time for you to get used to seeing/feeling them on yourselves! eventually you will probably stop noticing that they are even there.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #144 on: 09 Aug 2008, 17:58 »

Honestly? Come on. =/

(that said, I own a package of Marc Jacobs band-aids. I've never used them, not even for f'rlz cuts and scrapes. And especially not to FAKE such things)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #145 on: 09 Aug 2008, 18:03 »

i was trying to do my best 'rapist glasses' face.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

öde

« Reply #146 on: 09 Aug 2008, 18:09 »

Tania, you look fantastic with those glasses!

The ones you picked out are okay too, I guess.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #147 on: 09 Aug 2008, 18:16 »

Those glasses look wicked rad, Tania!

(If only you could've been punching that dude in the Frank Lampard shirt)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #148 on: 09 Aug 2008, 18:37 »

i really like wearing glasses.  i also really like wearing sunglasses.  i do not feel like paying $200+ for prescription lenses for sunglasses i will probably end up losing or breaking.

i am seriously considering getting contacts and wearing fake glasses.   it's an aesthetic thing, and i willingly admit it. i look way better with glasses than without so i don't really care if it makes me an asshole.

As ridiculous as this is, I'm with you. Except I'd like to just get laser surgery and then get the prescription taken out of my glasses, but then keep wearing them, because I usually look a lot better in glasses than without. But then I could take off my glasses whenever I needed to and not be like a bat without sonar.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #149 on: 09 Aug 2008, 22:47 »

If I ever got my eyes all lasered up (I hate contacts), I'd still wear fake glasses. I have been wearing them since 3rd grade and I think I look dumb without them. Also, I think my frames are super awesome, so I'd rather wear them than not.

But I don't want laser surgery, because the idea of it is kind of gross and freaky and gives me the jibblies. And who knows, your eyes could go back to being crappy in years to come and you forked out a ton of money for nothing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 77   Go Up