THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 931075 times)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #1150 on: 08 Oct 2008, 19:04 »

Jens, the pagebreak shoes man, where did you get them?

I must have them.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1151 on: 08 Oct 2008, 19:08 »

blah blah blah I won't wear things that are cool blah blah blah

Man, whatever happened to wearing what you like because you like it, and not caring what other people wear? Or is that not fashionable?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #1152 on: 08 Oct 2008, 19:54 »

I'm in such a dilemma. I'm starting to see this dude but like one of my main concerns is him dressing like a Value Village artist. I want to make this boy buy some skinny jeans (without paint all over them), cardigans and fly ass kicks because he's all skinny and pretty, but I can't! I AM REALLY SHALLOW.
I like the way you work it.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1153 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:11 »

Take him shopping and buy him these things. Or better yet, get him to try them on and see how good he looks and he'll buy it himself.

Guys, today I wore this shirt, well kinda. My shirt doesn't say Dead Kennedys on the back. It is fitted, and super soft, and kinda faded, and I love this shirt. I wore it with these pants, and . Was this a bad decision? I do actually like dead kennedys.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1154 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:14 »

blah blah blah I won't wear things that are cool blah blah blah

Man, whatever happened to wearing what you like because you like it, and not caring what other people wear? Or is that not fashionable?

You don't get it huh.

Also, boot cut jeans are the worst cut there is. Jeans you should look into the levi's 511 and 501, especially the unwashed 501 shrink to fit.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1155 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:19 »

What I don't get is why you are an asshole. Maybe you want to fill us in?

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #1156 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:36 »

Oh man so guys.

I like the dress, but I am pretty sure I really like the chick better.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1157 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:41 »

The dress is cute, as are the shoes. The girl is alright, as well. I don't know if I like the tights though. But, I don't generally like tights.

Also, I'd like to take some time to point out, and I am vaguely certain that this has been pointed out before, but I'd like to say that corduroy is like the fabric of champions. Seriously. I fall head over heels for anyone who wears a lot of corduroy. Phil's hatin the picture thread made me think of this.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1158 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:42 »

Jens you look so much better in more fitted clothes. Seriously. The second outfit you posted flatters you so much.

Also, re: Fashion Debate-

Wear whatever the hell you want to wear. Do it in an unusual way. That is how you achieve fashion.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1159 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:48 »

She is very awkward looking and cute!

And, I think I agree with Ms. Emaline. I mean, I get the whole "dressing is an art" but wouldn't it work best to use pieces and make them your own? Skinny jeans are just like any other kind of jeans; you can certainly make them work for you. You basically said you weren't interested in wearing anything the masses are into, right? It just sounds as stupid as an artist who creates art specifically so the masses won't like it... not just pushing boundaries, just signifying "in" groups by who "gets it" and who doesn't. Feel free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting you!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1160 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:53 »

That dress/stockings/shoes combo is so goddamned cute.

Also, people have different definitions of what "fashion" means.  People like me, for example, take looking fashionable to mean that you can colour-co-ordinate and pick clothes that suit your body type and make you look good.  There are others though that take fashion more seriously and view it as an artform.  Which is more correct?  I don't know!  I've always seen this thread to be something in the middle, where people can offer suggestions as to what would look good on other people, show off outfits they are particularly pleased or enamoured with and so forth.

I think also that when it comes to hipster fashion or whatever you want to call it there are a number of types of people, but the important ones to note are the ones who are dressing that way because it's how they want to look andthe ones who are dressing that way because it's how they think others want them to look.  If you're in the first category and you're dressing in an independent way based on taking things you've seen and liked and adding your own personal touch to them then that's great.  Whether you look good or not, whatever, you're doing your own thing and that's commendable.  If you're the type that sees what's popular and wears it because you think it'll score points with other people then that's kind of lame.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2008, 20:56 by est »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1161 on: 08 Oct 2008, 20:57 »

I really really like boyish haircuts on girls with feminine bone structure. HUBLAGHUBLAGHUBLAGHUBLAG
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1162 on: 08 Oct 2008, 21:08 »

That dress/stockings/shoes combo is so goddamned cute.
take looking fashionable to mean that you can colour-co-ordinate and pick clothes that suit your body type and make you look good.
There are others though that take fashion more seriously and view it as an artform.  

But this is also an art form.

Refusing to wear something just because everyone else wears it, even it make you look good, is rather silly. It's like saying bands like Minor Threat have sold out because they have sold a large amount of records. Maybe it's because they are good.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1163 on: 08 Oct 2008, 21:09 »

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah totally sold out.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #1164 on: 08 Oct 2008, 21:14 »

Guys, no more pants! Everyone wears them.

Emergency! I can't find my sweaters! It is getting cool here finally, and I have no fall clothing, minus a corduroy blazer, but I will probably cry if I can't find my sweaters.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #1165 on: 08 Oct 2008, 21:22 »

Man, I would say fashion is an art form. However, not everyone is skilled and awesome in that art form and just have a reasonable idea for what works in them. I mean, not everyone can perfectly critique and outfit like animal ghosts and know what exactly would look good on certain people. I certainly can't do that. However, I can dress myself reasonably well. (well i could if had better clothes to work with.)

Did that make any sense?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1166 on: 08 Oct 2008, 21:23 »

Goodwill has good sweaters. Seriously. Thats where I get a lot of mine. Plus I am cheap.

I also like Old Navy's girl's sweaters. And Gap has had some good ones in the past.

Or you could be ultra cool, and learn to knit your own.*

*This is not completely advisable. Knitting sweaters is had, and not recommended for beginners.**
** But you could still totally learn and make your own sweaters and be cool as hell!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1167 on: 08 Oct 2008, 21:24 »

Guys, no more pants!

I thought you were cool Robbie.

So, I only have 3 pairs of pants that aren't ridiculous Kung Fu pants. One pair are khakis and these things hug my legs pretty close, but not super close, it's weird. And I've got the shittiest pair of pants ever. I resewed them to be straight legged, but I wore them so much so they've got paint, dried blood, a hole near the inner thigh, superglue, and all kinds of wear to them. I want to fix them up so I can wear them again, but the hole is a little ridiculous, so is the rest of the stuff like paint and glue and stuff. How do I fix these pants?
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #1168 on: 08 Oct 2008, 21:27 »

I'm cool. You were right.

I have sweaters. I just don't know where they are... I have some really good ones, too. Somewhere.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1169 on: 08 Oct 2008, 22:15 »

i dotn wear then the wear everyone else in cork does, i dont put ugg boots over them and constantly reapply my lipgloss!
yera who cares if theyre uncool or cool, they flatter my figure so fuck it like!
Man so everyone was like 'cuteunderagedirishgirlwithchocolatenomnomnom' in the photo thread and I was all like 'whatever' but something about the syntax in this quote makes me crush on you massive.
I mean.

Uh.

clothes
Hot!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1170 on: 08 Oct 2008, 22:21 »

James, how dare you. We have to break up now. Sorrys.

And I was all going backpacking for a short period in Canada this summer.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2008, 22:24 by Emaline »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1171 on: 08 Oct 2008, 22:36 »

Wait we were still dating? OK then, break it off if you want. Whatever.
You can probably crash here if you're backpacking Ontario.

Still I am not kidding something about the way those words and not words are arranged just makes me go whoa.
Maybe there is something wrong with me.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1172 on: 08 Oct 2008, 22:46 »

I like your casual apathy towards our relationship. Maybe I've broken up with you before. I don't remember.

Also, I think we are mostly just sleeping outside.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1173 on: 08 Oct 2008, 22:54 »

Well, does us being broken up or not change any of the practical applications of our relationship?
If you're actually planning this, backpack through Guelph, ON in the last weekend of July and go to Hillside.

Fashion thread I started rolling up my pants this summer both for biking considerations and heat control, and I am kind of in love with it now. Basically, I fold the bottom cuff up so the top of the fold is just below the lowest part of my knee, fold that fold once on itself, then fold it up again so that the pants stop just at the lowest point of my knees. I think it looks great.
Fashion thread is this OK?

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #1174 on: 09 Oct 2008, 00:07 »

ITT: Fatty demonstrates Things Not To Do

Strapless Dresses:

Bubble Skirts: (old awkward photo)

Bootcut Jeans: (this is before I hemmed them

Dresses over jeans: (I mostly agree with this as a general principle)
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #1175 on: 09 Oct 2008, 04:18 »

"I don't paint, I just get dressed every morning."

This.

You guys are so funny when you argue over clothes.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

öde

« Reply #1176 on: 09 Oct 2008, 05:40 »

You don't get it huh.

Never post this phrase again, thanks!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1177 on: 09 Oct 2008, 05:51 »

I know, Dan. The missing comma was driving me crazy, too.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1178 on: 09 Oct 2008, 07:57 »

Man I don't know what it is but I have been on a dress kick lately.

(the one on the right)

Also I think this is absolutely the best dress ever. Well, maybe not ever, but it is the best combination of multiple design elements that are supposed to be flattering that I have ever seen. Also, I look really good in blue. Anyone want to lend me $400?

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1179 on: 09 Oct 2008, 10:57 »

I really wish mens formal wear had as many options as dresses do, all of those are cute but the last two are just devastatingly elegant.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1180 on: 09 Oct 2008, 11:25 »

Men's formal wear is more about colors and accessories (read: rad vests and hats). We've got less to work with I suppose, but it's totally possible to look super rad in a suit.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1181 on: 09 Oct 2008, 12:14 »

The white one would look better strapless, in my opinion. Also the last one has odd sleeves. Love the color though, and if you had the event to wear it to it would be pretty great.
Liz is touching me.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1182 on: 09 Oct 2008, 13:20 »

I pretty much hate all strapless dresses. I think it's from looking at too many wedding dresses and realizing all the strapless ones make me want to shoot myself because they're so deadly boring. That said, there are a few ok ones, but I think skinny girls look bony and skeletor-like, and chunky ones look broad and jiggly from lack of support. So there is a very very narrow window of people who can get away with them, and I'm pretty sure I'm not in that window.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1183 on: 09 Oct 2008, 13:29 »

I just think the tiny little straps look odd and maybe a little cheap or something.
Liz is touching me.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1184 on: 09 Oct 2008, 13:39 »

Oddly enough that's exactly what I think when I see no straps.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1185 on: 09 Oct 2008, 13:51 »

Yeah... strapless=tube tops=cheap hookers :/
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1186 on: 09 Oct 2008, 18:32 »

The blue one is all kinds of awesomes.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #1187 on: 09 Oct 2008, 18:34 »

I would also be classified as a "fan"
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1188 on: 09 Oct 2008, 21:32 »

Also the last one has odd sleeves.

The shoulder seams mimic kimono-style sleeves (the way they are inset. just trust me, because I'd post a picture of a sleeve set in the same way but you still wouldn't be able to tell what I was talking about). It is also ruched (gathered) on top of the shoulder, which creates even wrinkles in the fabric that smooth out across the boob, making it look sleek and also maybe a little bigger? They are open on the side closest to the wrist (as opposed to the neck) like kimono sleeves too (and only tacked where the waist fabric starts; possibly sexy, because you might get side boob, but there is no risk of falling out sideways or flashing), but whoever made it left the outermost edge to create a fluttery cap sleeve. Cap sleeves are flattering on just about any arm shape, whether they are scrawny and bony or even if they are fat, and the extra volume of fabric used to create the flutter effect makes the sleeve stand out away from the arm below the shoulder which helps make the top of the arm look skinnier.

So basically, it is a flawlessly executed version of throwing lots of things that should make you look nice together all in one piece. It almost never works, either. Whoever did it gets a prize.

Also I like the white one exactly how it is. I was thinking I wished it was in a different colour, but now I'm not so sure. I would probably skip the drape, though.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1189 on: 09 Oct 2008, 22:40 »

ZOMG WANT:

Liz is touching me.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1190 on: 10 Oct 2008, 04:45 »

Ladies and their dresses,

I really wish mens formal wear had as many options as dresses do, all of those are cute but the last two are just devastatingly elegant.

I think there are a lot of interesting variances that you can make in men's formal wear, but it is a lot more subtle than women's formal wear. Actually, come to think about it, this can apply more or less to menswear in general.

It's about the cut, colour, pattern. About the way you accessorise and match (or mismatch for that matter) tie to shirt to socks to shoes to belt and so on. About cufflinks, belt buckles, tie pins, jacket buttons, pocket squares. Did I mention it's about cut?

Nodaisho

« Reply #1191 on: 10 Oct 2008, 05:03 »

I really really like boyish haircuts on girls with feminine bone structure. HUBLAGHUBLAGHUBLAGHUBLAG
Me too, I am a big fan of that.

Is it just me, or does the person in the purple dress on the last page look extremely tall? Maybe she is just skinny, but I'd put her at more than 6'.

The blue dress is amazing.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #1192 on: 10 Oct 2008, 09:10 »

Dovey, preach it!

But seriously, men's fashion can be easy if you want it to be. Most times, a simple suit can look just as good (if not better) than when you put a lot of effort into it, but if you're willing, there is definitely a lot of options and things you can do to make a suit (or tux, I suppose, though I kind of hate them) look real good, and unique!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1193 on: 10 Oct 2008, 10:15 »

Okay so that purple dress I posted. The whole website is amazing. Soooo many good dresses, like this one. I need this dress.

(larger view)
(close up)
Liz is touching me.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1194 on: 10 Oct 2008, 14:17 »

Man, I must be a terrible fashionable person, I love strapless everything.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1195 on: 10 Oct 2008, 15:53 »

I'm really not a big fan of most of formal(-ish) dresses. Most of the time I think they just look silly and don't flatter womens' figures at all.

However, men's formal wear makes me want to kill myself because it's too expensive for me to wear all the time... There's so much subtly to it, finding the proper suit to fit your body and personality is quite difficult.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1196 on: 10 Oct 2008, 18:14 »

Okay so that purple dress I posted. The whole website is amazing. Soooo many good dresses

Unique Vintage is one of the cool sites on my "Check Regularly" list.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1197 on: 11 Oct 2008, 06:49 »

Man, I must be a terrible fashionable person, I love strapless everything.

I think we've actually told you that 20 times, Andy. =/
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1198 on: 11 Oct 2008, 07:08 »

Excuse me if I can't take a forum's advice quite serious when most of them think short are the epitome of awful.

Besides, if I took half the advice on here, it'd look awful with my body type
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1199 on: 11 Oct 2008, 13:42 »

man guys, it's pretty ironic that you're constantly telling everyone to find what works for them and their body type but you expect the same tips to work for every single person

fashion is an individual, completely subjective thing.

clearly Drill King gets enough compliments (on this forum, and I'm sure otherwise) to keep doing exactly what she's doing.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 77   Go Up