THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 931234 times)

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« on: 05 Aug 2008, 13:05 »

So, I'm a dude in need of some jeans. What are some brands and styles that the cool kids wear? (note: the highest I'll pay for a pair of jeans is like....$30)

Also, feel free to post your own fashion questions.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2009, 19:11 by est »
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #1 on: 05 Aug 2008, 13:24 »

I don't really know the price of jeans, but for some that aren't designer, go for Levi's. Or if you can shell out more than $30, go to the Gap. Their jeans are indestructible or something, because I go through jeans pretty quickly and the ones I have from the Gap have lasted for freaking ever. (I don't know crap about designer jeans or clothes in general, so I can't help you there.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2008, 13:49 »

I buy wranglers because if you take care of them they look nice, are pretty cheap and I've only seen them in dark wash and dark wash jeans match anything.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 05 Aug 2008, 15:46 »

I'm ashamed to admit that I wear Old Navy jeans. They are the only thing I buy from Old Navy because they fit damn well, are nearly indestructible and cost like $30. I've always been really impressed by their jeans, even if I loathe everything else in the store. But note that the only good jeans they produce are a loose fit, if you're not looking for loose fitting jeans you should go elsewhere.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 05 Aug 2008, 16:10 »

My toughest jeans are Marlborough, and they fit me well, in a conventional manner, but are essentially fashion-free.  My most comfortable, and (I suppose) most fashionable jeans, which I currently spend most of my life in, are a no-brand special offer bought on holiday from an Italian low-end clothing chain (Upim).

Moral:  If you see what you fancy (and can afford), buy it, and damn the label.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #5 on: 05 Aug 2008, 16:15 »

You should look for a a Plato's Closet in your area. They carry secondhand clothing, but all of it is in really good shape, hardly worn, and good brands for a fraction of the price.

It is my favorite store.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #6 on: 05 Aug 2008, 18:54 »

What the shit is with paying so little for jeans?  Maybe it's just Australia, but I have to buy like, $100+ jeans if I want them to not suck.  I have a pair of Lees that I have worn to death and also a pair of Ben Shermans that have basically become my second skin from the waist down since I bought them and are starting to wear a bit thin in places.  I believe I paid more than $100 for each of them.  Maybe the Lees were a little less, but the Ben Sherman ones were about $120 or so I think.  I need another pair, maybe two.  Maybe another pair of Lee and another Ben Sherman?  Yesssssss.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 18:56 by est »

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 05 Aug 2008, 18:59 »

You should look for a a Plato's Closet in your area. They carry secondhand clothing, but all of it is in really good shape, hardly worn, and good brands for a fraction of the price.

It is my favorite store.

You can also find cheap designer jeans on ebay.  Don't get crabs!

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 05 Aug 2008, 19:14 »

Jeans obviously should look good; they should fit well and the depth of blue they are is important in how they fit in with the rest of your ensemble. But beyond that, to me, jeans are just jeans. I don't see a point in paying more than 100 dollars for them. I usually pay about $60.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 05 Aug 2008, 19:23 »

American Eagle jeans can get down to around 35 bucks if you are concerned with price, and I think they look alright.

But what do I know?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Thlayli

« Reply #10 on: 05 Aug 2008, 19:25 »

I swear by Levi's Silvertab. Most guy's jeans look like crap on me, because I have wide, low hips and long skinny legs. Most men's jeans in the US seem designed for fatties. Button-fly is also a must-have for me, but that's more an issue of not wanting sharp zippers near the junk.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #11 on: 05 Aug 2008, 19:31 »

You can also find cheap designer jeans on ebay.  Don't get crabs!

Yeah, but if they don't fit right on you, you are kinda screwed. Better to buy in a store.
Liz is touching me.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 05 Aug 2008, 19:52 »

Personally, I can not shell out $100 for one pair of jeans. If I'm paying that much for pants, I want nice pants, not a pair of jeans. If I can find a few pairs that make my ass look just as good for the price of one pair that makes my ass look good, I'll go for the few pairs.

The one time I bought a pair of jeans online, they fit great, but they only lasted a few months, because the quality wasn't great. (No more AE pants for me, ever.) Besides, shopping is more fun in stores.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 05 Aug 2008, 20:02 »

Most men's jeans in the US seem designed for fatties.

Not necessarily. For some reason it's "cool" among many of the males in this country for their pants to be about three sizes too big. For a guy like me who's relatively skinny and somewhat short, finding jeans that look good and don't sag down to the thighs is a bitch.
 - Napoleon

pamplemousse

• Not quite a lurker
  • om nom nom
« Reply #14 on: 05 Aug 2008, 20:10 »

For some reason it's "cool" among many of the males in this country for their pants to be about three sizes too big.

Really?  I've found the opposite to be true.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 05 Aug 2008, 20:12 »

The opposite holds true generally only for those of the "emo" persuasion, as stereotypical as that is.
 - Napoleon

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 05 Aug 2008, 20:19 »

Sorry, they are just pet peeves. I want to pull down pants that have to be held up and super tight jeans make me think of those pictures people post around here of the gay cop dude. If you like loose pants, put them on your hips and wear a belt. If you like closer fitting jeans, just make sure your dangly bits aren't visible. You know, unless you are that cop dude people like drawing illustrations of.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #17 on: 05 Aug 2008, 20:54 »

Do what Sam says, please Greg.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #18 on: 05 Aug 2008, 20:57 »

Greg tight pants will look good on your hiney I bet.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:00 »

Man I been waitin' for this thread again.

This is me on a basic day:

What am I doing wrong and how do I do it better? And anyone who says that it's the box to my cheap assy guitar is also correct.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:02 »

Your pants are obviously not tight enough for this thread.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #21 on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:03 »

Dear Ozy,

I'd hit it.

Liz
Liz is touching me.

hipster jesus

« Reply #22 on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:08 »

On the subject of jeans, I'd go with either Levi's or Arizona. They're pretty comfortable, relatively cheap, and last forever. The more expensive jeans I've had tend to only last a few months though. For example, I used to wear Mavi jeans a lot. They're by far the most comfortable jeans I've ever owned but they fall apart quickly. If you want comfort and looks at the expense of durability, go with those. If you want something that you can wear for more than about six months, avoid them at all costs.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #23 on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:12 »

ass

I go for jeans that hide the fact that I don't have an ass. At all.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #24 on: 05 Aug 2008, 22:23 »

The opposite holds true generally only for those of the "scene" persuasion, as stereotypical as that is.
fixed, and don't forget those that watch too many Clint Eastwood westerns, he always wore skinny jeans.

mooface

« Reply #25 on: 05 Aug 2008, 22:27 »

re: jeans.  boys, i have no advice for you besides pls not too baggy or too tight.  girls:  buy your cheap-o jeans at forever21.  i swear i am not saying this because i work there; they are actually an evil bastard company.  but if you don't mind that shit, get your jeans there.  they are like 20 bucks which is ridiculous and the pair i've had for the longest time are about 2&a half years old and the only part worn out is the bottom from dragging on the ground all the time (this is why i pretty much only wear skinny jeans now). 

re: ozy.  your shorts are Unfashionable.  i also really don't like shorts in general, though, so i can't really think of any alternatives atm.

also can this also be a 'what i wore today' thread?  i say this because i have been wearing such goddamn cute outfits lately and not enough people are seeing them.  also, i am obsessed with myself.  and clothes.  ;(
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 22:30 by mooface »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #26 on: 05 Aug 2008, 22:34 »

Pictures in the picture thread, or it didn't happen. 
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #27 on: 05 Aug 2008, 22:39 »

I buy most of my jeans at Target, and they fit reasonably well and usually last a pretty long time! I buy jeans maybe once every year and a half, I would say, and am over-all very happy with the quality that I have received. I don't remember the brand name though, sorry...  :|

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #28 on: 05 Aug 2008, 22:52 »

Man, I love clothes.  Lately I spend all my time in my daggy work uniform though.

I am not a pants person, I have always been a skirts and stockings kind of girl.  I own one pair of jeans, and one pair only.  They cost me about $40, and they look SMASHING.  I wore them to work once (we are not supposed to wear jeans to work) because my work pants were in the wash and everyone was all OMG YOU HAVE THE BEST FIGURE EVER.

They're probably right.

I am not sure how this helps anyone at all.  Ben, you clearly just need to be a girl to get good cheap jeans here.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #29 on: 05 Aug 2008, 22:57 »

Dear darling Ozy,
No man has ever looked good in shorts. Ever. No matter how hot it is, do not ever wear shorts. You can get pretty neat cargo pants or khakis that are cool and comfy and you don't have to show any hairy man-ankle! Hooray! A nice structured pair of jeans with a sturdy dark leather belt would suit you also, something not too skinny and that bunch nicely around the ankle. Sneakers are great! You should always wear sneakers, but not the silly white shiny ones you get at Kmart or whatever. If you don't want to go sneakers I would say a good pair of rubber flip-flops (like Havaianas) in black or brown (never wear flip-flops with fabric straps, they are completely and utterly hideous). I like your checked shirt a lot but it could maybe be a bit more fitted to flatter you perhaps? As for accessories, I kinda like it when a guy rocks a bit of jewellery - not silver chains (shudder) but more tribal or beaded or a leatherthong around the neck or wrist. Add a big grin and a stylish hairdo (which I know you already have) and you are all set for summer hangin' outs with pretty ladies.

NEXT PLEASE

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #30 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:12 »

secondhand clothing

Boom.

You can always find really great clothing at secondhand stores for low prices.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #31 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:18 »

I have to agree with Lunchbox on the matter of shorts. I haven't worn shorts in 9 years-- and even then it was only to demonstrate how stupid board shorts look if you're not ridiculously tall.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 23:19 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:41 »

Shorts are hard, dang! I cannot do pants in the summer, though, it's totally unreasonably hot. I live in the goddamn desert. I will look into cooler pants, I guess, but geez.

Also, I would definitely like some suggestions for outfits around this jacket because I love this jacket because it is the closest I have to a Doctor jacket:

I know those jeans are way too blue, BTW, that is pretty clear. They are darker in the meat world, actually, but still too blue. I need more jeans variety, because the rest of them are lighter than that and I think that would look silly.

Also, I know I do silly poses. Basically I am doing everything wrong.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:47 »

So, I just got a super short haircut after my long mulletesque shag. Alot of my clothes are a hodge podge of subtle pastel colors and blacks. I really want to start wearing things with Color!
And good and cheap fashion/clothes sites
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #34 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:53 »

PICS PLZ

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #35 on: 06 Aug 2008, 01:14 »

buy these

Why would anyone do that?

I mean, to their legs.  Why?

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #36 on: 06 Aug 2008, 01:18 »

I was concerned about the damage to other regions in jeans that tight. That can't be good for your potential kids.
"with some spandex for movement"
Protip: If your jeans are so tight they need spandex for you to walk in them you are doing things terribly wrong.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #37 on: 06 Aug 2008, 05:04 »

Oops.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #38 on: 06 Aug 2008, 05:35 »

I don't see the big deal about shorts. Shorts are good for biking and running and other things as well as trying to keep cool. I am wearing shorts today (guys shorts, actually) because I am cleaning/waging war today.

famous

« Reply #39 on: 06 Aug 2008, 06:24 »

Holy jeez.

How can anyone say no shorts in the summer? I assure you I look sexy in shorts. And comfortable as well! It doesn't matter if you look slightly cooler in pants you are going to be sweating like a motherfucker in a sauna. And that's so much money to spend on jeans!! I've never spent more than $15 on jeans, and they usually last me about a year. Which is cool because I usually like to get a new style of jeans after a year's passed. I tend to by them from thrift stores and wal-mart though.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #40 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:14 »

Shorts are ugly. Boy legs are ugly. Together they are very ugly.
Maybe there is something wrong with me but I have one pair of shorts and they only ever appear on 45 degree days and never in public. Legs are weird, you guys.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #41 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:17 »

Also, I know I do silly poses. Basically I am doing everything wrong.

It's okay. I make lots of silly facial expressions and people still at least pretend to like me. I think you'll be alright.

As for the shorts thing, go for it! I know mens' shorts aren't usually the most stylish things out there, but if it's hot you have the right to wear them.

Also, Mai, I think it would be perfectly acceptable to post pictures of things you've been wearing here. I have also put together some pretty darn good outfits lately that I've wanted to post somewhere. Go for it!
Liz is touching me.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #42 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:27 »

i was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good places to buy pants because it seems every store i go to sells pants for stick thin buttless girls, which is fine, there are lots of girls who do look like that but unfortunately i am not one of those girls and i need something that can accomodate a butt. gap jeans are really nice but they are also kind of boring and i want to expand my wardrobe a bit.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

monkeybiz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #43 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:32 »

For starters, anyone that says "You can't wear shorts" should come to Chicago in the summer. Tell me I can't wear shorts when it's 90 degrees with 100% humidity outside. The general public should be thankful I'm even wearing clothes when it's that hot.

However, I'm a huge fan of Express. I'm a stocky guy (5'6", 220lbs.), and the clothes actually fit really well. The jeans have a tendency to run long, but not terribly bad. They're durable (still look brand new after 6 months), and if you catch them on the right day you can get awesome deals. I get at least two or three coupon offers a month from them. I probably spent about $500 over the last six months there, and it's probably the best money I've spent on clothes that wasn't for an interview.

That's my $.02.

Thlayli

« Reply #44 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:41 »

When did Express start making men's clothes?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #45 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:47 »

Do you ever see sexy rock stars wearing shorts

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #46 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:55 »

I get that I live in an expensive country etc, but seriously, $15-30 for jeans? Cheap jeans here will cost me at least $70, probably more. I honestly don't think $30 is expensive for a t-shirt (and I do not spend a lot of money on clothes), so to spend that on jeans and get a decent pair, even? Crazy, I tell you!

Also, the hatred against shorts? I'm definitely not a part of that. Not that I like to wear shorts myself, mainly due to massive legs, but whatever - if it's hot enough, I'll wear them. Shorts can look great if you have the right shorts for your style and/or body! And honestly, if someone wore pants when it was insanely hot outside and told me it was because "shorts look ugly", I'd have to try very hard not to laugh at them. I was going to post some examples of great outfits that include shorts, but I think my folder for cool outfits/future clothing inspiration has shrunk without my knowledge, and Sam posted a good one.

Fitted shirts (not skin-tight, but not wide enough that you could put both of your arms inside it) instead of wider ones can make a lot of outfits look way better.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #47 on: 06 Aug 2008, 08:08 »

I have this one shirt that looks pretty good that I never wear because it came from Express.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 06 Aug 2008, 08:09 »

Several years ago. Express is nice, but they don't have girl pants over size 14, not even on their website. I refuse to shop at stores like this, because it tells girls with larger hips that they can't have this kind of fashion.

Legs are weird, you guys.

Does not compute. Legs are awesome.

famous

« Reply #49 on: 06 Aug 2008, 08:34 »

I get that I live in an expensive country etc, but seriously, $15-30 for jeans? Cheap jeans here will cost me at least $70, probably more. I honestly don't think $30 is expensive for a t-shirt (and I do not spend a lot of money on clothes), so to spend that on jeans and get a decent pair, even? Crazy, I tell you!

Goodness! I know that I shop at cheap second-hand places, and that I'm poor, but if I see a shirt for $7 I like I'm more than likely to leave it alone. My price range for shirts is 3-5 bucks. Shoes/Sandals are the only thing I'll pay a bit of money for, and even then usually around $60, nothing more than $80. Did you say you live in Australia? I do remember that things are rather expensive over there, at least on the east coast, I never made it west.

But $100?! I'm not losing my head over it, but that could get you a ticket on a bus to someplace like 14 hours away! Or a sweet train ride! Hell, a plane ticket! That said, I have watched my girlfriend shell out $250 for like 6 things on a trip to the mall...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 77   Go Up