THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 934825 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #400 on: 24 Aug 2008, 20:45 »

Oh my god. Vintage inspired swimwear = yes!
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #401 on: 24 Aug 2008, 20:45 »

Oh my god, I need that bathinsuit.

I have a big white hat w/ red accents and white heels  w/ red accents that would look killer with it.

Not to mention it's pretty much designed for my body type
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #402 on: 24 Aug 2008, 20:47 »

It also comes in black, white, and a pretty black and white pattern.

(It is $350)
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #403 on: 24 Aug 2008, 20:51 »

I actually have a pretty similar suit, only the strap is thinner, and there's more of a skirt thing at the bottom. It is pretty sexy pin-up style I think; though A Boy says I look like a grandma but with better boobs. Jerk. Anyway!

RobbieOC's clothes,

You look like a person I would hang out with.

I need/would like some advice! I am a bridesmaid in a wedding on Saturday. Friday is the practice, and the bride said most people will be wearing "church clothes" I guess, which is like dress up but not formal formal. We're probably going to her littlest brother's football game after, which is outdoors. Right now it's 9:30 pm and 65 F. I can't decide what to wear! I have a bunch of skirts and dresses but I don't think any of them really "fit" the occasion. I've been thinking these black slacks that are pretty narrow, which I usually cuff to "European length", and a white button down shirt with short puffy sleeves (or a nice button down white ruched-front white top with french cuffs that I'd push up) with a nice pair of flats-black or red.

Basically the slacks are the same length and leg opening as below (guy on left), though mine aren't pleated at all, but they do have a front and back crease that I iron in.

(click for full-size)

Would that be appropriate? Which top? Should I go with the basic black flats or opt for the bright pop o'color (with maybe matching red lips?)
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2008, 20:56 by BrittanyMarie »
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #404 on: 24 Aug 2008, 20:58 »

That would work fine, but as it is still summer I would probably go with khaki on the bottom if you have it. Actually my first choice for that occasion would be a skirt and a little sweater set but that might just be me.
Liz is touching me.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #405 on: 24 Aug 2008, 21:38 »

RobbieOC's clothes,

You look like a person I would hang out with.

Would it ruin the illusion if I told you the jeans I was wearing had super huge holes in the knees that are obscured in the picture? Not that I would wear it that way, but I was too lazy to change jeans just for these pics.

Also, how do we, the esteemed, feel about tweed? Because it's pretty much my favorite thing to wear, right after corduroy.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #406 on: 24 Aug 2008, 21:58 »

Tweed is hells yes, if done right.
Liz is touching me.

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #407 on: 24 Aug 2008, 22:36 »

Second dress and swimsuit.
These are pretty great.

Also: I am going to the city to go shopping tomorrow! I am going to try and find some conservative sweaters that do not make me look like a teddy bear (as they tend to do). Also maybe if I am really lucky maybe some slacks, a jacket, and maybe some boots. I am also going to visit a real nice used suit store that keeps a tailor on hand. I will likely not be able to afford anything there, but I will have a lot of fun looking at everything.

mooface

« Reply #408 on: 25 Aug 2008, 02:58 »

liz, i highly approve of your taste in dresses.

on the other hand, i hate you for showing me things i want but can never have. thanks a lot.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #409 on: 25 Aug 2008, 03:38 »

This is basically how I look when I wear a short-sleeve shirt to werk:

bathroom fotos because I'm classy.

Those are actually black jeans I am wearing, I am thinking about getting another pair of them in a more jean-like appearance because I like them.  They are by Saxony, and they have a pretty nice cut without feeling overly tight.

I am also trying to get a new pair of casual shoes, but I am not really sure what at the moment.  If I have some kind of idea or find some pics later then I will post moar.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #410 on: 25 Aug 2008, 04:51 »

Man it would be funnier if there was a person hiding in one of those stalls, and you didnt notice until you looked at the photos.

Also, you look pretty dashing I guess, I'll be happier when your hair scruffs up a bit more :P
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #411 on: 25 Aug 2008, 05:41 »

Est: Onitsuka Tigers are pretty much the raddest. They retail for about $180 but they're all over eBay and such for way cheaper (I bought a pair off of eBay for $90-somethin).
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #412 on: 25 Aug 2008, 08:05 »

liz, i highly approve of your taste in dresses.

on the other hand, i hate you for showing me things i want but can never have. thanks a lot.

Thank you, and I apologize. I hate myself for finding things I want but can never have as well.

Est, this is not meant to be creepy, but you bum looks really good in the second picture.
Liz is touching me.

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #413 on: 25 Aug 2008, 09:04 »

Haha, est is wearing a short sleeved shirt.

inflatable_slide

« Reply #414 on: 25 Aug 2008, 09:11 »

my favourite dress, im really loving floral prints at the moment :D

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #415 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:37 »

Man, I cannot get behind the floral prints thing. Makes me think of grandma couches and mattress fabric.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #416 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:46 »

My old mattress had cats on it.

[edit]wait hold on. I've had a bit to drink and am f5'ing two forums right now. This is not the shitposting one! I should keep the two separate in future.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #417 on: 25 Aug 2008, 11:01 »

Aw, now I wish I'd seen what the other post said
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #418 on: 25 Aug 2008, 14:41 »

Hay guys I need girls to luv me lol.

No, but seriously, I'm fashionally inept for the most part. I've taken all of my fashion advice ever from my friend Alan who looks damn good in anything he wears.

here's what I looked like on Sunday:

Now, that's just my hair. I kinda like it like that, usually I just wear it down and it looks all poofy and stupid. I will get a fullbody shot later today after I get off work (and out of this stifling outfit) of what I'll be wearing out to a concert tonight.
TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY FASHION :0
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #419 on: 25 Aug 2008, 15:03 »

Quite honestly, PantsFTW, a lot of fashion is just about confidence, and some trial and error.

Buy a few nice pairs of pants (including a nice pair of jeans), and some nice, neutral colored shirts. Mix and match, and add on other stuff as you see fit. It's pretty simple really, and can be done relatively cheaply, too!

Also, a lot of fashion is about personality. I am a pretty laid back person, and the clothes I wear reflect this a lot, I think. I wear pretty conservative (as in, they don't really stand out in a crowd), comfortable clothes because that's the kind of person I am. I don't really know you that well, so it's hard to say what kind of clothes you should wear.

I think your hair looks fine in those pictures.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #420 on: 25 Aug 2008, 15:15 »

Your hair's fine, but boring, and your glasses are a bit big.

Generally when you're shopping you should buy what you like and buy what you think goes well together.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #421 on: 25 Aug 2008, 17:14 »

Yeah, I will agree on the glasses thing.  I think that their height is ok, but I think they are perhaps a little too wide for your rather slim face.

As for clothes, I don't know about everyone else but I am not too crash hot on grey shirts in general.  I know that is just one picture, but it's all I have to go on so I'm gonna gripe about it.  To me grey shirts are a bit too wishy washy.  Unless they are a dark grey or have a specific strong pattern on them they kind of wash out paler people, which would be an honest description of most people in this thread (including myself).  I loved the QC fighter jet shirt but after seeing a couple of pics of myself in it I had to admit it wasn't the right colour for me.

Also, in the mirror in that first pic it looks like perhaps you have your shirt tucked into your pants there.  If so I would discourage this behaviour most vociferously.  Actually, here's a general question for everyone: do you tuck in t-shirts?  I never do, but I have friends who do.  They tuck their t-shirts into their jeans and then wear a belt.  I really don't like this.  Dress shirts and such, sure.  I mean, I am not so crash hot on wearing belts with jeans and tucking things into them at all, but I know some people who do it and make it look ok.  But to me casual shirts stay un-tucked.

Est, this is not meant to be creepy, but you bum looks really good in the second picture.

It is not creepy!  As I said, I love the cut of these pants.  They are quite flattering without being overly tight!
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2008, 17:16 by est »

öde

« Reply #422 on: 25 Aug 2008, 18:48 »

Actually, here's a general question for everyone: do you tuck in t-shirts?  I never do, but I have friends who do.

You can do it when you're a very thin, middle-aged alcoholic.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #423 on: 25 Aug 2008, 18:50 »

Only if you have really greasy hair and you tuck the t-shirt into a pair of trackies that are pulled up way too high and show too much ankle.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lila

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #424 on: 25 Aug 2008, 19:21 »

PantsFTW - I'd tuck the necklace into the shirt or take it off... I'm not a fan of jewelry on men.
You know as much about Shakespeare as a chicken knows about tic-tac-toe!

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #425 on: 25 Aug 2008, 22:09 »

Also, in the mirror in that first pic it looks like perhaps you have your shirt tucked into your pants there.  If so I would discourage this behaviour most vociferously.  Actually, here's a general question for everyone: do you tuck in t-shirts?  I never do, but I have friends who do.  They tuck their t-shirts into their jeans and then wear a belt.  I really don't like this.  Dress shirts and such, sure.  I mean, I am not so crash hot on wearing belts with jeans and tucking things into them at all, but I know some people who do it and make it look ok.  But to me casual shirts stay un-tucked.

You can pretty much only make it look fashionable if you're going for the rockabilly look, I think.

I bought a new vest to go with my current favourite suit. I will maybe post a picture of it when I get home, if I remember.

Funny story! Where I'm originally from if you so much as wear a scarf, people in the street will call you a fag and throw rocks at you. My housemate forgot this, and went there on the weekend. He is a fashionable Italian lad and wore a dashing fedora and scarf. People called him a fag and threw rocks at him.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #426 on: 25 Aug 2008, 22:13 »

Where is that? I don't want to have rocks thrown at me!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #427 on: 25 Aug 2008, 22:19 »

I am trying to figure out how to dress like a grown-up lady. Please help! Pretty much all I have is jeans and girl t-shirts (threadless and the like). The type of jobs I'm likely to get for the next while don't require truly formal office-type wear, but I am trying to stop dressing like I did all the way through college, which is also how I dressed through much of high school. Today I went out and got the outfit below. (Ignore the fan, check out the mirror art.) The sweater is a very light knit, and the cami is almost as long as the sweater. I really love the pants - they actually have light gray and black pinstripes, though you can't see it in the picture. I also determined today that I really cannot pull off those shapeless knit shirts, not that I'm a big fan of them in the abstract, so no big loss there. Anyways, am I doing a pretty good impression of a responsible adult? What else should I own to help my disguise?

I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #428 on: 25 Aug 2008, 22:33 »

More color, just not really bright or garish ones. A good purse helps quite a bit, as do good shoes.
Liz is touching me.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #429 on: 25 Aug 2008, 23:52 »

I agree with Liz; also I think for the sweater, it would look a little better if it was more fitted and a little shorter. It would still be conservative, but not hiding your figure. Alternatively, you could rock a belt across the smallest part of your waist, again to accentuate. I love the pushed up sleeves though, it is like you are emanating "I rolled up my sleeves; I am ready to WORK!". And never ever underestimate the power of a nice fitted button-down shirt.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #430 on: 26 Aug 2008, 01:58 »

It is my opinion you pretty much cannot go wrong with a nice black shirt and a decent pair of jeans.

I wore this to work today because I had to move some workstations around and didn't want to wear work gear while crawling around under desks, etc.  Have to do more of the same tomorrow, so it'll probably be casual gear again.

I really need a decent casual jacket though.  Something in between a hoodie and a work jacket or leather jacket.  I have one decent one, but it shrunk in the wash and is now a little too short for me length and arm-wise.  Any suggestions? (other than "buy another one of those jackets in one size larger")

edit: augh oh god, creepy eyes in the first pic.  Awesome.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #431 on: 26 Aug 2008, 05:32 »

I am trying to figure out how to dress like a grown-up lady.

Why? The world is boring enough as it is.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #432 on: 26 Aug 2008, 06:06 »

i need to figure that out too.
mostly so i can have something decent to wear for job interviews and look older than 12.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #433 on: 26 Aug 2008, 06:14 »

Rosie: smart casual is like my specialty. I think you've got it downpat actually, this is my general guide.
You appear to have a summer complexion, your best options are cool light colours (though probably not too much pastels). Nothing too primary, with black or navy as a base. Very pale cream is better than white.

They key is mixing casual and smart elements in the same outfit (sounds obvious right).

- Cute flats and sandals are essential. Have a simple black pair, and any other simple styles you think you can incorporate. Be careful with anything too open-toed, they tend to make your toes splay out and are less 'smart'.

- Make sure you have a dark base colour that suits you. Black, Navy or Brown.  It's okay to have 2, i mix black and brown, as long as you know what clothes/outfits match what base colours.

- Fitted tops. I don't know what these are called. Blouses with collars or a good [u=http://prologo.co.nz/catalog/images/t3402_worn.jpg]neckline[/u]. These look good and smart by themselves, but can be dressed up or down. 3/4 length tops (this is not everyone's thing) make for really good semi-casual. T-shirt sleeves or skinny straps looks more girly or informal. Thick straps and longsleeves look more seirous. Good fitted tops help your body look proportioned. Look at gathers, pleats, darts and lengths to see what kind of tops make your figure look best. Tops which just hang straight work for very few people.

- Layering. Sweaters, cardigans and vests go with tops to soften the edges.

- The right jacket makes a huge difference. Peacoats are fancy, so are any of the long knitted ones. I like cropped bomber jackets myself. Anything fitted is better than a hoodie.

- Fitted Jeans and pants (duh). Pants that don't flare or are too long are best when wearing flats or boots. Straight, slim and bootcut.

- I'm determined that their is a skirt for everyone. You need the right length, the right cut etc, but it's out there somewhere. Skirts and stockings are a great combination as it keeps you warm enough and isn't too revealing if you don't feel like it.

Add interest: Colour highlights and accessories do wonders. They make an outfit pop. A few nice belts, necklaces and scarfs that you can pick up on your way out make your combination seem unique every day.

- Work outfits: Slim dark pants, fitted shirts and neat jackets will get you through most. The right skirts will really help mix things up. In my opinion the right shoes are stylish, but low heeled and closed-toed.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2008, 06:16 by fatty »
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #434 on: 26 Aug 2008, 08:37 »

Yeah, I will agree on the glasses thing.  I think that their height is ok, but I think they are perhaps a little too wide for your rather slim face.
I've actually been wanting to get contacts for a while, but I live in the Valley of the Hellsun and need someone to drive me home after an optomitrist appointment so I don't burn the hell out of my eyes. I also need an eye exam. But I definitely want contacts, I think I look better without my glasses on, I just can't see better.

As for clothes, I don't know about everyone else but I am not too crash hot on grey shirts in general.  I know that is just one picture, but it's all I have to go on so I'm gonna gripe about it.  To me grey shirts are a bit too wishy washy.  Unless they are a dark grey or have a specific strong pattern on them they kind of wash out paler people, which would be an honest description of most people in this thread (including myself).  I loved the QC fighter jet shirt but after seeing a couple of pics of myself in it I had to admit it wasn't the right colour for me.
The shirt is actually a blueish grey, just in that light it looks more grey. When I went out to meet a friends younger sister (the sister is only a year younger than me) I threw a black long sleeved shirt over it and looked pretty good with those jeans on. I usually wear white, yellow, blue, red, or orange shirts. Sometimes brown and green.

Yeah, that shirt is also a small and I'm kinda lanky. So it really looks like it's tucked in, and oh god, I wouldn't do that unless I was wearing dress clothes. I usually wear shirts that are a little bit smaller than I need them to be because I like to show off my tattoos.

PantsFTW - I'd tuck the necklace into the shirt or take it off... I'm not a fan of jewelry on men.

Here's the deal with the necklace. My grandma went to England and got my sister and I presents. They were these 'runic' zodiac symbols on a necklace. I put it on in and haven't taken it off for about 6 years. It goes in and out of the shirt depending on what I've been doing. Generally I keep it inside the shirt. It's like a good luck charm for me. And in about another year or so I'll have a second necklace that I have to wear for my job. But I generally try to keep it under my shirt.

So, here's what happened, I didn't get the chance to take any pictures last night to give you some full body shots of me. But they'll happen, probably tonight I imagine.

Patatat

« Reply #435 on: 26 Aug 2008, 10:05 »

I've decided I am gonna buy a suit, and just wear it all the time. Thoughts on this?

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #436 on: 26 Aug 2008, 10:18 »

Make sure it is an awesome suit. If you succeed, best idea ever!

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #437 on: 26 Aug 2008, 11:58 »

You should probably get more than one. You will also need a variety of ties and dress shirts, as well as belts, shoes, pocket squares, tie bars, and possibly cuff links to do it properly.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #438 on: 26 Aug 2008, 12:06 »

Rosie. Come shopping with me. I will get you all pretty lady-fied!

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #439 on: 26 Aug 2008, 12:07 »

You should probably get more than one. You will also need a variety of ties and dress shirts, as well as belts, shoes, pocket squares, tie bars, and possibly cuff links to do it properly.

Not really. A black suit and two or three white shirts is all the style you'll ever need.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #440 on: 26 Aug 2008, 13:15 »

You'll need a nice watch too. So that you can slide up the jacket sleeve a little look at your watch and sigh impatiently when you're talking to friends or waiting behind someone who is taking too long in a line.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #441 on: 26 Aug 2008, 13:27 »

Not really. A black suit and two or three white shirts is all the style you'll ever need.

Only if you want to look like a member of popular indie rock band The Hives. Mostly you need some variety and pizzazz to make the look Pop!

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #442 on: 26 Aug 2008, 15:49 »

I need advice on what sort of shoes to wear with shorts. I have a couple pairs of the classy dress shorts that someone was lambasting a couple pages ago, and all I have that doesn't look terrible with them are a pair of old beat up suede slip on Vans. I want to spice up my footwear without going too bulky, something that preserves the slim line of the shorts and my legs without looking crass.

The other thing I want to discuss is accessories for men. I've been branching out more and more recently, so I now have 3 styles of glasses that I can wear depending on the look I am pursuing, but I need more. Tasteful bracelets, necklaces, rings, etc, something that adds more to a 'fit when I can't layer due to weather and don't want to just be walking around in a two item outfit. Bags as well, I need cheap, tasteful bags that I can carry in a variety of colors and styles, depending on what I'm wearing/carrying.

Help please!
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2008, 15:51 by Animal Ghosts »

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #443 on: 26 Aug 2008, 15:53 »

That's not true at all. Animal Ghosts was right. If you intend on wearing a suit or similar items like blazers,every day or even very frequently, you should have a variety of them. Three suitcoats/blazers is usually a good amount. You need a number of differently colored undershirts; usually white or a "gentle" blue, though you can easily pull off other dress shirt colors with a beige blazer. You need a couple pairs of good pants to wear with the blazers when you're not wearing a full-piece suit.

Ties are usually an afterthought for guys, but I cannot stress how important they are. Navy blue ones, blue/gold patterns, and darker colors in general are soothing to the eye and fit in well with almost any suit. But you cannot go without a red tie or two. Always wear a red tie when you want to convey power or appear self-confident.

These are just simple rules learned from working in the state capitol for a period of 4 months, and from being in DC for 2 weeks hobnobbing with senators, lobbyists and ambassadors. Just wearing one suit and a few white shirts is not only horribly unprofessional, but it's just lazy and tacky. It would reflect very poorly on you. If you're going to be buying suits and blazers, buy enough things so that you're entirely sure you have enough variety to go at the very least 3 days without wearing the same ensemble.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #444 on: 26 Aug 2008, 16:08 »

Askin' 'bout shoes.

Personally, I think if you can find a shoe that you like, that you can wear without socks (or with the socks mostly obscured by the shoe), that is the main goal. Wearing socks that come above the ankles is one of the most common things that causes the "clunky" look you were talking about. It's not always true, but it's pretty common.

I would recommend anything that doesn't require lacing. Slip on shoes have a more sleek look to them, and imo are the best option for wearing with shorts. However, someone earlier mentioned the Onitsuka Tigers, and I have a pair and they are wonderful with shorts, if I want to wear them that way. And they're comfortable, too.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #445 on: 26 Aug 2008, 16:49 »

These are just simple rules learned from working in the state capitol for a period of 4 months, and from being in DC for 2 weeks hobnobbing with senators, lobbyists and ambassadors. Just wearing one suit and a few white shirts is not only horribly unprofessional, but it's just lazy and tacky. It would reflect very poorly on you. If you're going to be buying suits and blazers, buy enough things so that you're entirely sure you have enough variety to go at the very least 3 days without wearing the same ensemble.

See I just assumed patatatatat wasn't intending to look like a politician.

Don't wear red or blue ties. They make you look like a goddamn politician. Maybe if you're going to work for lawyers or something.

For casual suit wear, I like the I-might-only-own-one-suit-and-might-have-slept-in-it-so-it's-kind've-disheveled suit look. Rumpled shirt, no tie, it rocks. Bonus points for a cravat or scarf in slight disarray.

Also, you can actually get really good suits at op-shops if you try hard enough. It's important to make sure the jacket fits right, as the pants are much easier to get altered.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2008, 16:54 by ViolentDove »
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #446 on: 26 Aug 2008, 16:53 »

You can look good without looking like a politician. Once again(and always) see The Sartorialist. You can look crisp and clean without looking like a tool. Red ties are kind of garish and boring though, I am much more interested in purples and greens and pastels.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #447 on: 26 Aug 2008, 18:33 »

Half the pictures on the current front page of the Sartorialist are ridiculous.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #448 on: 26 Aug 2008, 18:37 »

You all are wrong. It was not about buying suits, but buying ONE SUIT and wearing that one suit all the time. At least that's what I undestood. In that case, one black suit is the way to go.

Patatat

« Reply #449 on: 26 Aug 2008, 19:14 »

Having one black suit, and wearing it all the time is more my style. I just think it would be awesome, if I wore the same suit every day for like a month or two straight. Just walk around, and do casual things while wearing a suit. Perhaps, have different dress shirts, and ties, but thats about it. The same suit though. I need to get a classier flask, mine isn't classy enough.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 77   Go Up