THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 934862 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #750 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:04 »

MEN OF THE FORUMS:

If you dress like this, I will date you: http://pipeline.refinery29.com/the_goods/for_the_refined_male_bblessing.php

Where the frig can I get the cardigan in the second picture? That's outstandingly awesome.

Oh god it's $350. Sorry Liz. Can we still be gig buddies?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #751 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:08 »

Where the frig can I get the cardigan in the second picture? That's outstandingly awesome.

NYC, but trust me, you cannot afford it. You will have to settle for looking for a similar item somewhere.

Dovey, I am a little sad. I figured you of all people would agree with me, from the dudes' side anyways. Oh well. At least I have some ladies on my side.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #752 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:12 »

So then why are you worried about cameltoe if you wear a skirt over it anyway

I'm not. That's why I don't mind wearing my jeans that tight.

Also, the nice thing about expensive designer labels, is that there will always be people to make it for less. I know most people living on a budget that still have rad fashion sense do 'clothing inspired by ____'. For a third of the cost.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #753 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:24 »

I totally agree with David Dovey. All of the clothes misconception posted are close to working but manage to annoy me via what should be a seemingly minor detail. For example, I'm perfectly fine with the first outfit except for the length of the sleeves. The 3rd picture (the one Dovey mentioned) has an incredibly dumb pose and I have to pointedly ignore the robin's egg blue shoes before I can begin to appraise it. His jacket might be nice, but it's hard to get a good sense of what the cut is like because he's too busy looking like a moron.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #754 on: 15 Sep 2008, 13:05 »

except for the length of the sleeves.

The sleeves are normal length; they're turned up and then pushed up further.  I'd love to have dressed like that when I was that age - some hope, though!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #755 on: 15 Sep 2008, 13:09 »

Guys, this proves my point. If Paul would have worn these things when he was younger they are the definition of awesome.
Liz is touching me.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #756 on: 15 Sep 2008, 13:30 »

Nice coat, too.  Necklace seems a bit much though.  Boots also don't seem to QUITE fit.  They're nice, but a bit too, I don't know, pointy?  Tight?  High?  Something.  I think maybe they'd look more fitting with that skirt if your legs were bare.

If you wish to give constructive criticism, can you please be a bit more articulate?

If you wish to ask something of me, can you please be less of a bitch?

Jesus.  I'm going back to the music forum.  I plain don't get this shit.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #757 on: 15 Sep 2008, 14:08 »

Man I will basically walk around in anything as long as it doesn't smell too bad, looks clean and keeps me not naked. Sometimes I wear a t-shirt two days washing. Am I a horrible person?

Not at all, most of my clothes go two to fifteen wears. That's right. Unless they get stained or I get really sweaty.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #758 on: 15 Sep 2008, 14:24 »

As long as you're not sweating or working construction or something, there's nothing wrong with wearing shirts or pants two or three times before washing them.

Usually it's bad form to do it in a row though becaues then people might think you don't shower.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #759 on: 15 Sep 2008, 14:29 »

Also: Vests are awesome.  My phone's camera, not so much.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #760 on: 15 Sep 2008, 16:23 »

Yeah I almost never was my jeans unless they are visibly dirty enough that i can't stand it.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #761 on: 15 Sep 2008, 20:30 »

Guys, I need some fashion advice please.

I graduated in May and need to start a real career.  I just sent out some resumes and am going to start interviewing with CPA firms soon (I hope!).  I don't want to wait until the last minute to decide on what to wear so I am planning outfits ahead of time.  Help me decide between these two shirts:

or

I am planning to wear whichever shirt with a black blazer and a black pencil skirt.  I really like the first one, but I'm afraid it might be too bright for the very conservative atmosphere in Public Accounting.  My problem with the french blue is that it seems like it might make for too dark of an outfit when paired with all black; and I think that the brighter shirt shows my personality more... which I guess could be a good or a bad thing depending on the firm.  I think both colors will work well with my hair and skin tone. 

My ultimate goal is to work for one of the Big Four auditing firms, very prestigious places, so this is an important decision.  Help!

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #762 on: 15 Sep 2008, 20:43 »

The first would be too bright to go with all black in my opinion. The second colour I think would do well.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #763 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:12 »

Dovey, I am a little sad. I figured you of all people would agree with me, from the dudes' side anyways. Oh well. At least I have some ladies on my side.

FURTHER REVISIONS:

Well obviously I'd wear a white dress shirt and a tie and grey pants (third row, on the right), so there's that as well...

I like cardigans, but I don't really go in for chunky cardigans, and I in particular would look horrible and boxy in a more heavy kind of cardigan. I'm short and I've got a bit of a belly, so I need to rock a fairly streamlined silhouette. Also I have a fairly firm belief that denim should not be worn above the waist, and that whole outfit (bottom row on the left) looks too Springsteen-esque for my tastes. Not my bag at all, baby.

I agree with Whipstitch, that most of the clothes are OK but they're just OK.

Liz what I am trying to say is that even though I wouldn't wear those particular clothes I can kind of see where you're coming from and can we still go on dates plz?

In conclusion, italics.

P.S; I cycle my jeans around on a more-or-less weekly basis.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #764 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:19 »

You know, I once saw a man wearing triple denim. Jeans, jacket and a denim shirt.

All he needed was a denim hat, and he could've created some kind of denim-related singularity tearing apart the fabric of space and time.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #765 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:32 »

Hmmm

I would consider wearing the clothing Liz posted.

Which reminds me, I could use some cardigans. Once it gets to be not 90 degrees Fahrenheit with 231748901237490823 pounds of humidity. Seriously fall needs to come so I can dress awesomely.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Nodaisho

« Reply #766 on: 15 Sep 2008, 22:18 »

Almost everything goes well with black

Quoted, cause I just wanted to say something about this statement.

I had a friend who would SCREAM at you if you wore black with brown or blue at all. I don't disagree with her, but she was crazy about it. So, just stay away from her, and I think you'll be fine.

She's right. I own a lot of black, and a lot of brown. They're horrible together.

What? What? No way. Too much black with one brown thing doesn't work, for instance, I shouldn't wear black pants, boots, and shirt with my brown duster, but black boots, olive pants, black shirt, and brown duster? That works fine. Actually, olive pants are pretty much the best pants I have right now, but most work well, the only exception is the white jeans and the blue pants that are more navy blue than blue jeans blue. Navy and black don't go well together, I will agree with that. blue jeans don't fit the look I am going for as much as they could, but it doesn't mean they go badly with black.

Is there anything Paul doesn't know about?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #767 on: 15 Sep 2008, 23:13 »

WHY IS NOBODY TELLING ME HOW FUCKING AWESOME I LOOK

oh wait sorry wrong thread

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #768 on: 16 Sep 2008, 03:46 »

We're just waking up, Jackie. That is a pretty sweet vest, though.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #769 on: 16 Sep 2008, 05:23 »

zerodrone: Chill the fuck out. Fatty wasn't being a bitch. I think she was asking you to be more specific about your criticisms. Stop taking the internet so seriously. You keep freaking out over misinterpretations, when you have to realise that tone of voice and body language, which make up about 60% of communication, cannot really be conveyed very well through typing.

Oh man, I love tights as pants. Because it's like not wearing pants but no one will call me a slut.

Also, I like the way it looks. I've worn purple tights with my black boots, a black large slouchy sweater, and some bigger jewelry. I like it. A lot.

Some things should have stayed in the 80s. I am sure it's cute and all, but parachute pants and teased hair were once overwhelmingly popular too. It's not your fault.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2008, 05:43 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #770 on: 16 Sep 2008, 05:43 »

The American sizing confuses me, but I could probably find a dozen online guides or so (with "our" sizing), in a couple of minutes.

Yeah, it didn't really work for me. According to the video I fit perfectly into my 13 year old sisters bras. I know my boobs aren't the biggest, but come on! I don't think I would be able to breathe wearing those.

HELLO LADIES STOP BEING STUPID. Since when have you ever worn a size 8 jean in every brand you can find? Do you buy a size 12 dress from every store you ever shop at? When was the last time your shoe size carried across to every brand you happened to like? Sizing is not universal; it's how different companies keep you in their brand. Back in the 20s and 30s, a certain record company produced the absolute cheapest record player anyone had ever bought, and no one could figure out how they managed to sell it for less than half the price of everyone else's. Then they all realised that the pin that sits in the center of the record on this particular brand of player was actually larger than the standard, which meant that once you had this record player you could only play on it wax and vinyl produced by this particular company, as they were the only records that would fit on this turntable.

I wear a size 6 dress from David's Bridal, but I wear a size 4 from Dillard's, and when I make my own dresses I wear a size 12 or 14. I wear a size 2 in Levi and Victoria Secret jeans, but I wear 3s (sometimes) and 4s in everything else. I wear a size 8 in New Balance, a 7 from Chaco, a 7.5 from Qupid, and a size 38 in Doc Martins.

The point of the video was not about the sizing, it was about the fit. Regardless of what size the bra you are looking at RIGHT NOW happens to be, it should still do all those things like laying flat against your chest between your boobs and against your ribcage under them and the band should go across the smallest part of your back (which is pretty much the middle) and not ride up and you should be able to take the straps off your shoulders and have the bra still stay up because the band should be doing 80% of the supporting. If you buy bras from Macy's, then that sizing standard is great for you to use, especially if it works for you. Otherwise, you have to do it the old fashioned way and just guess and try them on until you find the one that works.

If I were to use that sizing method I would be a 32A, because my boobs do not stick off my chest that far. However, I am generally a rather full 32C (sometimes a 32B, depending on the brand), because I have more boob mass than a lot of people. See? It doesn't even work for the person you thought was advocating it! It is a great place to start, sure, but the be-all-end-all of bra fitting is when you have found one that does all of those properly-fitting things. All of them.

Like Liz said,

It's not that bad, really. You measuring around your ribcage, that gives you the band size. Then you go around ribcage+boobs. The difference between the two generally dictates your cup size, 1"=A, 2"=B, etc. This method isn't always perfect, but it gives you a good starting place.

That video Katie posted is pretty nice, but it definitely doesn't cover every problem. A lot of the problems I have with my boobies are apparently opposite problems. One thing is I so have spillage. Major spillage. But then the sides of my bra (the cup part closest to my armpit) bags. I think mine are closer than average or something. And you can very rarely get cute contour bras in my size, and a lot of the ones that are there are minimizers.

The perfect bra is something I don't think I'll ever find. Maybe I'll go into there though to get sized... though I have at several other places too which never helped.

I am pretty sure you can solve that with a different style bra. If your boobs are really soft and a teensy bit (or a lot bit) saggy or even if you have pancake boobs, balcony-bras and balconets (or whatever else they might be called) help give you a little lift and even out your cup fillage. Demi-bras work pretty well for this type of boob, too, although they don't provide the even filling thing. For instance, I have talked this to death with Heather. Remember Heather? She has the most amazing collection of bras I have ever seen, but they are all balcony bras, so I can't steal any or copy them, because I fall over the top of balcony styles. Her boobs are enormous and beautiful and their size kind of drags them down, so they are a little saggy, and so the balcony styles work wonders for her.

Try an underwire balcony bra with some pads that you can try putting in the cleavage sides of the cups to push your boobs toward the center of the cups.

Also, remember, if you can't find a good bra, corsets came first, and those ALWAYS work.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2008, 05:50 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #771 on: 16 Sep 2008, 05:56 »

Some things should have stayed in the 80s. I am sure it's cute and all, but parachute pants and teased hair were once overwhelmingly popular too. It's not your fault.

Oh man, remember hair metal? I don't.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #772 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:07 »

canadian tuxedo

This is the first time I have heard this phrase and I am laughing my arse off.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #773 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:08 »

I didn't want to be the one to say exactly that. Tee hee!

Metope

« Reply #774 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:25 »

Calenlass:
A little while after I posted I realized there's a difference between American and European cup sizes, so in America I would have worn A-cup, while here in Europe I wear B-cup bras. So I guess the video wasn't as far off as I thought after all, I was just being a bit stupid  :wink:
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #775 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:27 »

Nah, it's ok. You should go to Japan! They have AA cups there! I am pretty sure I would wear like a D or a DD!

Oh man oh man est is still there, right? We should send him to collect evidence and research.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #776 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:40 »

Nice coat, too.  Necklace seems a bit much though.  Boots also don't seem to QUITE fit.  They're nice, but a bit too, I don't know, pointy?  Tight?  High?  Something.  I think maybe they'd look more fitting with that skirt if your legs were bare.

If you wish to give constructive criticism, can you please be a bit more articulate?

Yes, clearly you don't get this shit. I may be a bitch but I think it is sometimes deserved.

This is proof.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Metope

« Reply #777 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:55 »

Haha, we have AA cups in Europe, they are so cute! Pretty sure they have them in America too, but to find them you have to look very closely because they are so small you can hardly see them.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #778 on: 16 Sep 2008, 07:16 »

I don't think I was being stupid? I just said that the American sizes confused me, but that I would probably be able to find an online guide with "our"/European sizes that would give me a better idea of what to look for in stores. Of course I'd try stuff on etc., to make sure it fit like it should. My comment was meant more like a.."oh, maybe I should do that", "that" being find a guide with the proper sizing.

Also, haircut today (sort of fashion? and the hair-thread is dead)! It looks/looked and felt fucking weird, because the hairdresser apparently "styled it", meaning she made it look like I'd just gotten out of bed, and it covered half my face. Maybe I'll like it better with less goo in it, I hope so. But what I was really going to say was that I bought reading glasses, for the first time ever, because apparently I need them. They're not fancy, but I think they looked okay, at least for the price (cheapest they had). Something like this, if I remember correctly, only the entire thing is brown:

Good/not good? Maybe impossible to say without a face. They weren't my favourite, but since I don't have to wear them all the time, and they were cheap, I think I'm pleased.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #779 on: 16 Sep 2008, 07:33 »

Yes, clearly you don't get this shit. I may be a bitch but I think it is sometimes deserved.

This is proof.

You are both cool people.

Now both of you shut up.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #780 on: 16 Sep 2008, 07:34 »

Okay, so this is what I learned from reading the alst two pages of the 'fashion' thread. Drill King kinda can't dress and neither can several other peeps. No offense, you just don't understand proportion. And whoever the dick was who said a big chunky sweater "balances out" leggings is kind of a doofus. Like if anything, it would create even more disproportion! Real Talk. Please ladies, put pants on before you leave the house. I have never met an individual who didn't wear jeans that I couldn't convert back to the light. Leggings can be cute with a dress but they always make me cringe when being subbed for pants.
I like the way you work it.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #781 on: 16 Sep 2008, 09:00 »

I'm a bit late, but redglasscurls - those peacock feather earrings are GREAT! I've been looking for a pair of my own, where did you get yours?
I made them! I bought a bouquet of feathers at a craft store, wound the ends with sterling wire to make loops and hold the shape, then attached hooks. So yep! If you are less crafty, check on etsy.com
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #782 on: 16 Sep 2008, 09:58 »

So calenlass, do you still think fatty wasn't being a bitch to me originally, given her response?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #783 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:00 »

Who the fuck cares. FASHION ON, BITCHES.

öde

« Reply #784 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:03 »

Everyone pick sides, then we'll line up in the parking lot at dusk, no weapons.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #785 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:09 »

Who the fuck cares. FASHION ON, BITCHES.

Hey, I tried to get back on topic.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #786 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:17 »

Everyone pick sides, then we'll line up in the parking lot at dusk, no weapons.

Dibs as leader of the pro-cardigan brigade.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #787 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:24 »

Now now children, play nice, no need to get all angry on the eenternets...

Incidentally, could someone if the tshirt covered by a colbert (one of these, not one of these) is a good or a bad idea? I am kind of in doubt...
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

öde

« Reply #788 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:28 »

I'd say you should go for a sports jacket (the casual type of blazer, not a tracksuit top).

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #789 on: 16 Sep 2008, 11:30 »

Okay, so this is what I learned from reading the alst two pages of the 'fashion' thread. Drill King kinda can't dress and neither can several other peeps. No offense, you just don't understand proportion. And whoever the dick was who said a big chunky sweater "balances out" leggings is kind of a doofus. Like if anything, it would create even more disproportion! Real Talk. Please ladies, put pants on before you leave the house. I have never met an individual who didn't wear jeans that I couldn't convert back to the light. Leggings can be cute with a dress but they always make me cringe when being subbed for pants.

I would take offense to this if I didn't think that I dress awesome.

Also, Calenlass, you are so knowledgable about bras, I'm kinda jealous, also. Victoria Secret makes jeans? I've never seen this, are they nice? I think I would like them. Also, I still like teased hair.. (Poofy pants can stay though, I'm with you on that)
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #790 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:21 »

Dibs as leader of the pro-cardigan brigade.

Can I be your second in command?
Liz is touching me.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #791 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:31 »

I do believe that there's too much ass-hattery going on in this thread. Can we stop insulting each others fashion and attitudes and return to the topic please? Thank you.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #792 on: 16 Sep 2008, 14:22 »

Hey, I told fatty she is, and I quote, "insanely attractive".  I was being nice.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #793 on: 16 Sep 2008, 14:35 »

Man, what in the hell? The internet is telling me I am a size 30DD in bra sizes. I currently wear a 34C and it fits alright. DOES NOT COMPUTE.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Metope

« Reply #794 on: 16 Sep 2008, 14:38 »

(Sounds like you forgot to add the 4/5 inches to your ribcage measure.)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #795 on: 16 Sep 2008, 14:39 »

The Internet just wants you to send pictures of your boobs. Really though, knowing The Internet as we do, is that so surprising?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #796 on: 16 Sep 2008, 14:40 »

God Joe, you are such a creeper.
Liz is touching me.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #797 on: 16 Sep 2008, 14:43 »

I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #798 on: 16 Sep 2008, 14:44 »

God Joe, you are such a creeper.

Not me, The Internet.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #799 on: 16 Sep 2008, 15:03 »

Apparently, the add-4 inches thing is bullshit, according to the website I was going off. I can't see any logical reason why I should wear a band that is 4 inches larger than my actual measurement, but most other sites do tell you to do that.
Boobs will not be posted, Joe Hocking! We are both engaged and not to each other:P
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 77   Go Up